PDA

View Full Version : Economics Feds punishing Texas

The Mad Crapper
01-19-2010, 08:58 AM
The federal government is about to hand out a river of cash to states willing to build a network of bullet trains, as the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress seek to slowly ease the country's dependence on automobiles and airplanes to make short trips between its biggest cities.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/011910dnmettexrail.3fb19e9.html

Jenson71
01-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Sounds like they need better political leadership.

Brock
01-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Before you get on the federal tit, you gotta suck some federal

BucEyedPea
01-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Americans love the independence of the automobile. Americans are independent at heart....except for her lefties. This sounds like another govt boondoggle in the making by not tapping into what the market would demand or want. It may be that these central planners think it's what we need, but it may just be it's not what people want. Will these only be used by a small segment of the market whereby it loses money requiring taxes to keep it afloat. ( like Amtrack) If it's done by govt....the odds are yes. Govt is the problem—not the solution.

Garcia Bronco
01-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Sweet. I can take a train to someplace, but what do I do when I get there? Rent a car?

KC native
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Americans love the independence of the automobile. Americans are independent at heart....except for her lefties. This sounds like another govt boondoggle in the making by not tapping into what the market would demand or want. It may be that these central planners think it's what we need, but it may just be it's not what people want. Will these only be used by a small segment of the market whereby it loses money requiring taxes to keep it afloat. ( like Amtrack) If it's done by govt....the odds are yes. Govt is the problem—not the solution.

OMFG, are you really this stupid? If private enterprise is so good at building infrastructure then why did the government have to build the roads?

A high speed rail is absolutely necessary. Our population is outgrowing the capacity of our roads and one of the easiest solutions is to provide ample and efficient public transportation.

cookster50
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Ample and efficient public transportation would bankrupt the country.

KC native
01-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Ample and efficient public transportation would bankrupt the country.

:spock:

vailpass
01-19-2010, 11:24 AM
OMFG, are you really this stupid? If private enterprise is so good at building infrastructure then why did the government have to build the roads?

A high speed rail is absolutely necessary. Our population is outgrowing the capacity of our roads and one of the easiest solutions is to provide ample and efficient public transportation.

Hey pendejo show some manners when addressing a lady.

KC native
01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Hey pendejo show some manners when addressing a lady.

ROFL Ah that's good. An attempted lesson in manners from a racist.

CoMoChief
01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Sweet. I can take a train to someplace, but what do I do when I get there? Rent a car?

Democrats/liberals problem solving at its finest. Come up with a great idea, only then to not care when they know it won't work.

vailpass
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
ROFL Ah that's good. An attempted lesson in manners from a racist.

Even ill bred street scum like you should understand that you don't use the F word when addressing a lady. Didn't your mother teach you that during her spare time between donkey shows?

KC native
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Democrats/liberals problem solving at its finest. Come up with a great idea, only then to not care when they know it won't work.

The stupid is contagious. You guys are aware of these things called buses and subways right? Hell, you could even call a cab. :rolleyes:

vailpass
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
The stupid is contagious. You guys are aware of these things called buses and subways right? Hell, you could even call a cab. :rolleyes:

Ride a frigging bus? Oh yeah that's a solution that we can all get behind.
Clown.

KC native
01-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Even ill bred street scum like you should understand that you don't use the F word when addressing a lady. Didn't your mother teach you that during her spare time between donkey shows?

ROFL Ah this is really rich. Especially coming from someone who had this to say in a Haiti thread

How much have you given to Turbans Without Borders?
What about the Camel Cross?

KC native
01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Ride a frigging bus? Oh yeah that's a solution that we can all get behind.
Clown.

What's wrong with taking a bus?

Dallas Chief
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Two reasons- Detriot pushed for it and for a National defense purposes. The government (our taxes) may pay for the roads to be built, but I don't think it is a stretch to say that most roads are actually built by private enterprises that have won contracts from the government(s).

I don't beleive that high speed rail is necessary, but personally I would like the option for longer distance travel. I have grown to despise the airline industry over the past 13 years and would welcome the competition. Not to mention, there is something inherently nostalgic about traveling by train for me. Additionally, more companies are moving away from the traditional office workplace environment to virtual workspaces from home or other locales. This could help alleviate some of the daily commute gridlock we see in some places. It may take that process along time to play out though. Just my take on this...

wild1
01-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Building a viable national transit system that gives us an alternative to air travel would be fine with me. We could have the most lavish infrastructure in the world if government only spent money on what it ought to be doing.

I know most Americans are like "Pff, when would I ever use that?" but rail is a very efficient and inexpensive way to travel, if you get out of the US you'll discover this.

But it's true that Americans are less apt to travel even within their own borders than people in other countries are.

bsp4444
01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm on board with creating competition for the airlines. Every year my "I'd rather drive than fly" radius gets larger due to the airlines arrogance.

vailpass
01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
ROFL Ah this is really rich. Especially coming from someone who had this to say in a Haiti thread

Oh noes I make a joke to Frankie somebody call LaRaza! Oh wait, LaRaza is just legalized racism, they won't be much help. Now tell us why it's okay in your world to address a lady using the F word.

vailpass
01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
What's wrong with taking a bus?

You have to be kidding.

jiveturkey
01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm on board with creating competition for the airlines. Every year my "I'd rather drive than fly" radius gets larger due to the airlines arrogance.

I'm with this guy. It would make sense to put high speed stations at the airports for rental car purposes. Or you might find a cheap flight that gets you part of the way and then take the rail the rest of the way.

KC native
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Oh noes I make a joke to Frankie somebody call LaRaza! Oh wait, LaRaza is just legalized racism, they won't be much help. Now tell us why it's okay in your world to address a lady using the F word.

:shake: Still clinging to the "joke" excuse huh?

Beyond that, I can address a woman however I choose to. Your antiquated "you shouldn't say the f word to a lady" shit died a long time ago. If she wants to post here and dish it out then she can handle the response.

KC native
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
You have to be kidding.

No, I'm not. What's wrong with the bus?

Detoxing
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
You have to be kidding.

Are YOU kidding?

Seriously, how is the bus not a viable transportation option?

Radar Chief
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/pseudosc/masstransit.htm

Why People Don't Use Mass Transit

Detoxing
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
http://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/pseudosc/masstransit.htm

Why People Don't Use Mass Transit

Nice post

dirk digler
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Sounds like they need better political leadership.

yep

Building a viable national transit system that gives us an alternative to air travel would be fine with me. We could have the most lavish infrastructure in the world if government only spent money on what it ought to be doing.

I know most Americans are like "Pff, when would I ever use that?" but rail is a very efficient and inexpensive way to travel, if you get out of the US you'll discover this.

But it's true that Americans are less apt to travel even within their own borders than people in other countries are.

I am shocked...almost speechless. We actually agree on something.

wild1
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
yep

I am shocked...almost speechless. We actually agree on something.

Not even you can be wrong all the time! :evil:

vailpass
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
:shake: Still clinging to the "joke" excuse huh?

Beyond that, I can address a woman however I choose to. Your antiquated "you shouldn't say the f word to a lady" shit died a long time ago. If she wants to post here and dish it out then she can handle the response.

Reason #21423 you wouldn't be allowed in my neighborhood without a leaf blower strapped to your back.

vailpass
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Are YOU kidding?

Seriously, how is the bus not a viable transportation option?

1. The bus doesn't go where I go.
2. Buses are filled with riff-raff.
3. I have a wife and 3 young children. Do you honestly think a bus is a realistic option?
4. What do you do with your luggage?
5. What if you want to sight see or go out at night?
6. What if you have an emergency while staying at your hotel?

I could go on and on.

KC native
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
1. The bus doesn't go where I go.

So that negates it's value as an option for others huh?

2. Buses are filled with riff-raff.

Define riff raff.

3. I have a wife and 3 young children. Do you honestly think a bus is a realistic option?

Yes, thousands of people use it as a realistic option every day

4. What do you do with your luggage?

Carry it

5. What if you want to sight see or go out at night?

I know this may be news to you but buses run at night too. There's always the cab option.

6. What if you have an emergency while staying at your hotel?

Ever heard of 911?

KC native
01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Reason #21423 you wouldn't be allowed in my neighborhood without a leaf blower strapped to your back.

example 33213213216516513213216354651 of why you are racist.

LOCOChief
01-19-2010, 01:37 PM

The govt. didn't build the roads you dumbass, most of it is subcontracted to private companies.

Maybe in your Mexican homeland the govt. builds the roads and judging by the conditions of that infastructure I'd say that's the case, but not here.

I figured you probably roll with mass transit, if you can call the short bus that.

Oh... almost forgot GFY!

KC native
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
The govt. didn't build the roads you dumbass, most of it is subcontracted to private companies.

Maybe in your Mexican homeland the govt. builds the roads and judging by the conditions of that infastructure I'd say that's the case, but not here.

I figured you probably roll with mass transit, if you can call the short bus that.

Oh... almost forgot GFY!

Awesome, your dumbass makes another appearance. Who paid for the roads? It's not like these companies went out and started building roads just for the sake of building roads. So, you can GFY now that you've put your stupidity on display for everyone to see again.

vailpass
01-19-2010, 01:54 PM
So that negates it's value as an option for others huh?

Many, if not most, of those who travel with families are of similar views.

Define riff raff.

You.

Yes, thousands of people use it as a realistic option every day

When they travel to another city? Would they if they had an alternative?

Carry it

Unrealistic.

I know this may be news to you but buses run at night too. There's always the cab option.

You would ride a public bus at night with your family?

Ever heard of 911?

You would rely on a bus in time of emergency? That would be your first choice if you had options?

Iowanian
01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Taxpayers paid for those roads, dipshit.

A couple of years ago I was in KC for a meeting, caught a ride with a member here to have a beer and dinner with some others. I planned on taking the bus back up Main to my hotel. I was strongly advised by at least 3 planet members that this was a terrible idea. The people they referred to that made this option "unsafe" and "unwise" would be the definition of Rif-Raf.

LOCOChief
01-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Awesome, your dumbass makes another appearance. Who paid for the roads? It's not like these companies went out and started building roads just for the sake of building roads. So, you can GFY now that you've put your stupidity on display for everyone to see again.

Ok dipshit, let's say you want to have a home built for yourself, so you take your social security dissabilty checks and you give them to a contractor who 9times out of 10 never held a hammer and he subcontracts the job to someone whose hardwarking, and skilled unlike yourself and they build your house. It's the same thing, now the guys standing on the side of the road collecting a check and not doing shit well that's the govt for ya.

KC native
01-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Taxpayers paid for those roads, dipshit.

A couple of years ago I was in KC for a meeting, caught a ride with a member here to have a beer and dinner with some others. I planned on taking the bus back up Main to my hotel. I was strongly advised by at least 3 planet members that this was a terrible idea. The people they referred to that made this option "unsafe" and "unwise" would be the definition of Rif-Raf.

Ah, was Io-thesupremegaybadassofCP-awanian scared off by them? How many of those CP members have ever actually ridden the Metro?

KC native
01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Ok dipshit, let's say you want to have a home built for yourself, so you take your social security dissabilty checks and you give them to a contractor who 9times out of 10 never held a hammer and he subcontracts the job to someone whose hardwarking, and skilled unlike yourself and they build your house. It's the same thing, now the guys standing on the side of the road collecting a check and not doing shit well that's the govt for ya.

ROFL oh em gee ROFL I really don't know where to start here. Thanks for the laugh at your expense.

Calcountry
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM

A high speed rail is absolutely necessary. Our population is outgrowing the capacity of our roads and one of the easiest solutions is to provide ample and efficient public transportation.Ample and efficient? For someone so smart as you are, you really know how to get the most out of an oxymoron, don't you?

dirk digler
01-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Not even you can be wrong all the time! :evil:

cheap shot :D

KC native
01-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Next time you should learn how the quote tags work.

1) Prove it

2) Coward. Too scared to lay out your usual racial slurs here?

3) I've ridden the bus and subway when I've traveled to other cities. I don't see the big deal here.

4) Not unrealistic. Especially considering just about every piece of luggage these days has wheels.

5) Yes, I'm not scared of everything like you guys are.

6) So, how does 911 mean you're relying on the bus in an emergency? BTW what type of emergency? If it's medical, there's 911 and an ambulance. Gotta leave in a hurry? Take a cab.

LOCOChief
01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
ROFL oh em gee ROFL I really don't know where to start here. Thanks for the laugh at your expense.

What was I thinking you couldn't possibly understand the scenario I cited while eating govt. cheese and living in section 8 housing.

KC native
01-19-2010, 02:37 PM
What was I thinking you couldn't possibly understand the scenario I cited while eating govt. cheese and living in section 8 housing.

Your understanding of the English language is very weak.

vailpass
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Next time you should learn how the quote tags work.

1) Prove it

2) Coward. Too scared to lay out your usual racial slurs here?

3) I've ridden the bus and subway when I've traveled to other cities. I don't see the big deal here.

4) Not unrealistic. Especially considering just about every piece of luggage these days has wheels.

5) Yes, I'm not scared of everything like you guys are.

6) So, how does 911 mean you're relying on the bus in an emergency? BTW what type of emergency? If it's medical, there's 911 and an ambulance. Gotta leave in a hurry? Take a cab.

Now I know how the servants and hotel staff live; thanks for the insight. Enjoy that; don't expect the rest of us to live that way.
BTW, who are the "you guys" in #5?

Calcountry
01-19-2010, 04:15 PM
The federal government is about to hand out a river of cash to states willing to build a network of bullet trains, as the Obama administration and Democrats in Congress seek to slowly ease the country's dependence on automobiles and airplanes to make short trips between its biggest cities.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/011910dnmettexrail.3fb19e9.html

This reminds me of a Simpson's episode, where the city blew their wad on a mono rail.

The Mad Crapper
01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
This reminds me of a Simpson's episode, where the city blew their wad on a mono rail.

ROFL

The Mad Crapper
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Porkulus: It’s what’s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And oh, oh, oh is Pork King Ray LaHood — the former Illinois GOP congressman and Chicago machine crony who now heads Obama’s Transportation Department — squealing with delight!

The Obama administration’s railroad czar on Friday praised a comprehensive Midwest plan for high-speed passenger rail service during a railroad conference in Chicago. But he refused to say whether Illinois was in line for big money. The state has applied for up to $3 billion in federal grants.

Joseph Szabo, a fifth generation railroader from Illinois who heads the Federal Railroad Administration, said an announcement will be made before the end of winter on awarding $8 billion in federal stimulus funds to the states to develop high-speed rail corridors. “Certainly no tipping of the hand, but it’s quite obvious that the Illinois application, as do many others, have some significant merits,” Szabo said.

Long-term plans call for trains traveling at up to 220 mph, which would slash the trip between Chicago and St. Louis to under two hours. Chicago would serve as the rail hub for an eight-state Midwest plan providing faster trip times to cities including St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Cleveland and Cincinatti.
I’ve blogged before about how these projects will be massive, taxpayer-funded slush funds and union boondoggles.

Harry Reid is eying a big chunk of the money for Nevada.

Randal O’Toole at Cato notes that LaHood has now eliminated cost-efficiency rules and blown open more fiscal black holes:

LaHood’s announcement means that cost is no longer an issue. If your project promotes “livability” (which almost by definition means anything that isn’t a new road) or “economic development” (meaning it will be accompanied by subsidies to transit-oriented developments), LaHood will consider funding it, no matter how much money it wastes.

Many transit agencies are elated. Cities from Boise to Minneapolis to Houston now see that their wacko projects that defy common sense now have a chance of getting funded.

The bad news for transit agencies is that this doesn’t mean there will be any more money for transit. Instead, there will be more competition for the same pot of money. Not to worry: House Democrats plan to open the floodgates to more transit spending as soon as they can get federal transportation funding reauthorized. This means taxpayers can expect to see more of their money wasted and commuters can expect congestion to get worse as more of their gas taxes are funneled into inane rail projects.

www.michellemalkin.com

BucEyedPea
01-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Actually, if kcnaive, read some history that was hidden from him like economic historian and professor DiLorenzo's How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present he'd find out that in earlier times private interests did build roads paid for by businesses that wanted to place their businesses on them.... because... well... these brought more business. Makes perfect sense the mutual advantages of trade.

Furthermore, the public works infrastructure like RRs were subsidized for industrialists ( often through high tariffs which pissed off the south as it would have crushed them) and many of them were shoddily built. There were a few built privately and their quality was far better and they served their public better too. The publically funded canals were disastrous boondoggles as well....so much so that the people in the states steered away from them for awhile.

And "dish it out" kcnative?...I was courteous and civil when I first came here....those who get it from me are just getting back the same they put out. You're a flaming ass hole constantly insulting people regardless of if they've done the same to you first. That's why I say what I say to you. Fact is you work for criminals, wealthy ones, who feed at the public trough. Yes sireee...that is a FACT!

BucEyedPea
01-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by KC native View Post
Still clinging to the "joke" excuse huh?

Wow!! So manners are dead 'eh? I'll have to tell that to the sweet Mexican children I tutor these days about what one of their kind says. I'll also tell them about white collar criminals too. LMAO Not white....but white collar.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Cities from Boise to Minneapolis to Houston now see that their wacko projects that defy common sense now have a chance of getting funded.

Exactly,NO private interest will fund something that would lose money—only govt does that type of thing. That's why we don't have bullet trains.

If it has to be subsidized it's NOT needed.

KC native
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Actually, if kcnaive, read some history that was hidden from him like economic historian and professor DiLorenzo's How Capitalism Saved America: The Untold History of Our Country, from the Pilgrims to the Present he'd find out that in earlier times private interests did build roads paid for by businesses that wanted to place their businesses on them.... because... well... these brought more business. Makes perfect sense the mutual advantages of trade.

Furthermore, the public works infrastructure like RRs were subsidized for industrialists ( often through high tariffs which pissed off the south as it would have crushed them) and many of them were shoddily built. There were a few built privately and their quality was far better and they served their public better too. The publically funded canals were disastrous boondoggles as well....so much so that the people in the states steered away from them for awhile.

And "dish it out" kcnative?...I was courteous and civil when I first came here....those who get it from me are just getting back the same they put out. You're a flaming ass hole constantly insulting people regardless of if they've done the same to you first. That's why I say what I say to you. Fact is you work for criminals, wealthy ones, who feed at the public trough. Yes sireee...that is a FACT!

ROFL Keep making up your own history there BEP. :thumb: I'm not even going to waste my time with this post as all you will do is stick your fingers in your ears and play the fake ignore game.

KC native
01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Wow!! So manners are dead 'eh? I'll have to tell that to the sweet Mexican children I tutor these days about what one of their kind says. I'll also tell them about white collar criminals too. LMAO Not white....but white collar.

Now you tutor Mexican children? ROFL What don't you do or who don't you know? ROFL

KC native
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Exactly,NO private interest will fund something that would lose money—only govt does that type of thing. That's why we don't have bullet trains.

If it has to be subsidized it's NOT needed.

So, we don't need a coast to coast and north to south network of rails and highways? You really are a special kind of stupid.