PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Barney Frank: God Didn't Create the Filibuster

Stinger
01-19-2010, 11:39 AM
<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/hJNRgb65TwI%2Em4v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="364" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Time to change the rules of the Senate .... Filibuster served it's purpose but it is time to move on.......

http://www.breitbart.tv/barney-frank-god-didnt-create-the-filibuster/

Royal Fanatic
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Things will never be right in Washington as long as this fucker keeps getting re-elected.

wild1
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
:LOL: ...these people have no shame.

cookster50
01-19-2010, 12:09 PM
"until Democrats are no longer the majority...."

BIG_DADDY
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
BF doesn't even know what his butthole is for. Total corruption that's light in it's loafers, wonderful.

CoMoChief
01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
BF doesn't even know what his butthole is for. Total corruption that's light in it's loafers, wonderful.

Oh I'm sure he thinks he knows what it's for....he just doesn't think it's for pooping.

fan4ever
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Even liberals must wretch after placing a vote for this guy...

Donger
01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Say it, don't spray it, brother! Dang!"

Guru
01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
:facepalm:

MarcBulger
01-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Barney Fwwwank the Banking Queen...Or my Boy Lolly Pop never could figure out which one was better.

Guru
01-19-2010, 04:25 PM
We are sick of people going against us so we are just going to eliminate any possibility of them going against us.

What happens when they lose power? We need the filibuster back.

BigRedChief
01-19-2010, 04:32 PM
I would be against the abolishment of the fillibuster. It's not in the constitution but it has helped us pursue a perfected democracy. The rights of the minority must be respected. But, the majority have a right to pursue their beliefs becoming law. The fillibuster is one tool to deal with this dilemma.

alnorth
01-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Frankly (no pun intended), he's right. I didn't like it when judges were getting blocked by a small minority either. It might be unfortunate that getting rid of the filibuster would allow the most far-left of the possible health reform ideas to pass, but the filibuster is a stupid unnecessary artificial concept that enjoys zero constitutional protection and is built on a legal foundation of sandstone.

Honestly, the filibuster only exists as long as 51 senators decide they want it to exist. However, as soon as something that the majority really really really really really wants gets blocked, it will eventually be thrown out. If not this year, then someday on some other issue. Most senators vote to keep the filibuster simply because they are afraid of what might happen if their team ever loses an election, but they need to wake up and realize that the filibuster is a farce that will be thrown away anyway as soon as it is extremely politically inconvenient for their opponents. If the GOP ever regains the Senate, the very first thing they should do is throw out the filibuster.

petegz28
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Frankly (no pun intended), he's right. I didn't like it when judges were getting blocked by a small minority either. It might be unfortunate that getting rid of the filibuster would allow the most far-left of the possible health reform ideas to pass, but the filibuster is a stupid unnecessary artificial concept that enjoys zero constitutional protection and is built on a legal foundation of sandstone.

Honestly, the filibuster only exists as long as 51 senators decide they want it to exist. However, as soon as something that the majority really really really really really wants gets blocked, it will eventually be thrown out. If not this year, then someday on some other issue. Most senators vote to keep the filibuster simply because they are afraid of what might happen if their team ever loses an election, but they need to wake up and realize that the filibuster is a farce that will be thrown away anyway as soon as it is extremely politically inconvenient for their opponents. If the GOP ever regains the Senate, the very first thing they should do is throw out the filibuster.

Without debate, without criticism, no Administration and no country can succeed--and no republic can survive. John F. Kennedy

alnorth
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
As far as Barney Frank goes on a philosophical level, if your strictly talking about politics and not his personality, he's one of the least offensive democrats in my opinion. He's a socially liberal Democrat with a nice bit of a libertarian streak. For one thing, he's the main force in the fight against that retarded ban on internet gambling. (Thats another thing infuriating about the GOP: they claim to be all for personal freedoms, but they will throw those ideals right the hell out the window as soon as a retarded lame-as-hell argument can be made that doing so "is best for the children".)

I think the main reason people blast him is he is a funny gay punching bag, and he has a bit of a combating in-your-face style. I doubt I'd vote for him, but there are many, MANY democrats who are far worse. The country would be better off if the democratic party had more of people like him and less of people like Pelosi.

alnorth
01-19-2010, 05:52 PM
John F. Kennedy

Where in that quote do you get the idea that the minority should have the right to veto everything? The Senate is nothing BUT endless debate even without filibusters. Additional debate is not going to inform or change the mind of the majority, and the GOP should have no right to veto anything until they retake the Senate.

Wait a few years (or go back in time a few years) until something you want gets blocked because 41 democrats veto it. The filibuster is a fundamentally un-democratic, thoroughly disgusting abomination.

If I was a senator, I'd vote for cloture every single time no matter what the issue, even if it was the "Randomly execute every 10-year-old boy in Alabama for no good reason act of 2010". I'd vote against the bill, but the filibuster is just stupid.

petegz28
01-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Where in that quote do you get the idea that the minority should have the right to veto everything? The Senate is nothing BUT endless debate even without filibusters. Additional debate is not going to inform or change the mind of the majority, and the GOP should have no right to veto anything until they retake the Senate.

Wait a few years (or go back in time a few years) until something you want gets blocked because 41 democrats veto it. The filibuster is a fundamentally un-democratic, thoroughly disgusting abomination.

If I was a senator, I'd vote for cloture every single time no matter what the issue, even if it was the "Randomly execute every 10-year-old boy in Alabama for no good reason act of 2010". I'd vote against the bill, but the filibuster is just stupid.

Who said anything about a veto? A filibuster is not a veto. The filibuster may not change the mind of the majority. But it may change the mind of the People who will change the mind of the majority.