PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Dems to wait on Brown vote...

petegz28
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Being reported all over. From Obama to Reid they are all saying to wait on Brown to be seated for the vote. Either they have something up their sleeve or they got the message from the Brown win despite all their posturing.

petegz28
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Reid....

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Wednesday that there is no firm commitment for Democrats to rush a health care bill through Congress this year.

“First of all, we’re not going to rush into anything,” he said. “We’re going to wait until the new senator arrives until we do anything more on health care.”

In a press conference the day after Massachusetts Republican Scott Brown shattered the Democratic supermajority in the Senate, Reid said he’d spoken with President Barack Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on a number of issues, including the fate of the health care bill.

Reid had earlier ruled out reconciliation, but now he’s leaving the door open to using the controversial, filibuster-busting procedural move.

“I’ve said that reconciliation is one of the things we need to look at,” a somber Reid said. “No decision has been made.”

Reid also said Democrats inherited a lot of problems a year ago when Obama was inaugurated and he believes they are still recovering.

“We made difficult decisions and took critical steps,” he said. “We don’t pretend for a minute that our work was done.”

Reid also said the election doesn’t change the Senate agenda that much — it just changes the math behind the votes.

"The election in Massachusetts changes the math in the Senate," he said. "It’s easy math. It’s simple math. But it doesn’t change the fact that people are hurting. That election doesn’t change one thing in that regard. It doesn’t change our conviction to help those people."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31734.html#ixzz0dBo6ug1I

petegz28
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Obama....

President Obama warned Democrats in Congress today not to "jam" a health care reform bill through now that they've lost their commanding majority in the Senate, and said they must wait for newly elected Massachusetts Republican Scott Brown to be sworn into office.

The president also said the same voter anger that swept him into office in 2008 carried Brown into office on a stunning upset victory Tuesday night over heavily favored Democrat Martha Coakley.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Politics/president-obama-scott-brown-massachusetts-victory/story?id=9611222

petegz28
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
And there is Queen Nancy who still don't get it..

WASHINGTON, Jan 20 (Reuters) - U.S. House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said on Wednesday Democrats will push ahead with a sweeping healthcare overhaul despite a Republican win in a special Senate election in Massachusetts.

"We will move forward with those considerations in mind -- but we will move forward," Pelosi told the U.S. Conference of Mayors.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSWBT01353420100120

HonestChieffan
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
we arent rushing?.....sweet jesus Harry

petegz28
01-20-2010, 02:18 PM
I am starting to get the feeling that it won't be long before a lot of Demns turn to the Queen and say "Shut up, Nancy!"

petegz28
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
we arent rushing?.....sweet jesus Harry

In all fairness, while Reid has rushed to a point, it has been Pelosi doing the pushing.

Garcia Bronco
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
"The election in Massachusetts changes the math in the Senate," he said. "It’s easy math. It’s simple math. But it doesn’t change the fact that people are hurting. That election doesn’t change one thing in that regard. It doesn’t change our conviction to help those people."

Okay Mister Reid...let me ask you this...would you save a million at the cost of 120 million lives assuming those million could be saved in the first place?

Garcia Bronco
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I am starting to get the feeling that it won't be long before a lot of Demns turn to the Queen and say "Shut up, Nancy!"

They could remove her as speaker of the house tomorrow if they really wanted to.

talastan
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
What is actually involved with reconciliation? I heard that in order for them to use that they would have to break down the entire bill and vote it through as several different amendments. Is this correct? Just curious....

petegz28
01-20-2010, 04:07 PM
What is actually involved with reconciliation? I heard that in order for them to use that they would have to break down the entire bill and vote it through as several different amendments. Is this correct? Just curious....

That is correct. The problem is they tried to build Rome in a few hours with this bill instead of taking baby steps. If they started with things like pre-existing conditions, out of State competition and a version of medicare buy-in for those below poverty or unemployed it would have gotten a lot further.

Deberg_1990
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
When is Pelosi up for re-election??

Mr. Flopnuts
01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Well I'll be damned. They're paying attention. It's still self serving, but at least they're getting the message.

Chief Henry
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Some of the far out left wing media wonks will go ape shit if the dems don't push the Obama helath care bill.

Bearcat2005
01-20-2010, 05:23 PM
When is Pelosi up for re-election??

Every 2 years every member of the house is up for re-election.

Iowanian
01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
I could have sworn this thread starter said "Dems played the Brown NOTE"

Cannibal
01-20-2010, 08:50 PM
I could have sworn this thread starter said "Dems played the Brown NOTE"

I wish they would have ROFL

Guru
01-20-2010, 09:44 PM
They could remove her as speaker of the house tomorrow if they really wanted to.That is what annoys me to no end.