PDA

View Full Version : Computers Calling all computer gurus

luv
01-20-2010, 06:20 PM
A week or two ago, my laptop blue screened and restarted. It's done it before, too. Last night, it blue screened, but my internet was out when it restarted. I reset my wireless router and then had to reconfigure it. Earlier this evening, all was well. Now, whenever I try to connect to the internet, whether via IE or firefox, the only site I can get to is Google. Everything else comes up with a File Not Found message. I check my Network and Sharing Center, and I am connected to the internet. I also ran a scan with Webroot.

What exactly is DNS? Why would I be able to get to Google, but nowhere else? I did get cbssportsline.com to come up once, but it looked all funky. The same thing happened when I plug my computer directly to my router.

Typing this, I've come up with the thought of trying to plug my computer directly into the modem. We'll see if that makes a difference. If it works, then I'll know it's something with my router. If not, I'll knows it's DNS, which I still want to know what it is.

Thanks.

PS. I am on call this week, so I have my work laptop and the Sprint Air Card. That's how I'm currently on here.

luv
01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Also, I was surprisingly able to get onto Yahoo IM. I got some advice from DaFace, but thought I'd check with you all, too, as not to bug him too much.

Mr. Laz
01-20-2010, 06:33 PM
my first inclinations would be to ...

1. clear internet cache
2. uninstall internet card in "devices" and remove card from laptop
3. then turn off laptop
4. unplug modem and router (for 15 seconds or so)
5. plug router back in and let it fully boot
6. plug modem back in and let it full boot
7. put net card back in and turn laptop back on

this will let the laptop reinstall card and drivers and then find a refreshed modem/router ip/DNS

btw DNS stans for Domain Name System ... its part of the IP address/Router/Modem setup

simple program to clean your cache etc is ATF ... you can find it here: http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

luv
01-20-2010, 06:37 PM
my first inclinations would be to ...

1. clear internet cache
2. uninstall internet card in "devices" and remove card from laptop
3. then turn off laptop
4. unplug modem and router (for 15 seconds or so)
5. plug router back in and let it fully boot
6. plug modem back in and let it full boot
7. put net card back in and turn laptop back on

this will let the laptop reinstall card and drivers and then find a refreshed modem/router ip/DNS

btw DNS stans for Domain Name System ... its part of the IP address/Router/Modem setup

simple program to clean your cache etc is ATF ... you can find it here: http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

I can do all of that except for the modem. In the apartment I live in, internet is included and the modems are built into the walls.

luv
01-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Well, just saw a friend on facebook (on her phone) thanking mediacom for no internet again tonight, so I guess I know it's not just me. I feel better. I'll do some research on DNS. I still want to know exactly how it all works. Hope they get it fixed before I hand over the pager Friday (the Sprint Air Card goes with whoever is on call).

thecoffeeguy
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Well, just saw a friend on facebook (on her phone) thanking mediacom for no internet again tonight, so I guess I know it's not just me. I feel better. I'll do some research on DNS. I still want to know exactly how it all works. Hope they get it fixed before I hand over the pager Friday (the Sprint Air Card goes with whoever is on call).

I hope this is not to technical:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/intro-dns.html

Basically, all websites on the internet (and servers for that matter) have IP addresses. Instead of trying to memorize IP addresses you can memorize domain names (chiefsplanet.com)...easier for the brain.

So a DNS Server maps a domain name to a IP address.

luv
01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Apparently, there are people in KC who use mediacom that are out, too.

Friend called, and she got the forever looping on hold message saying how busy they are due to the storms two weeks ago.