PDA

View Full Version : Video Games What are you loving on the Wii?

Christofire
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Looking for suggestions as to what games rock and what games suck on the Wii. Generally speaking, I'm a fan of sports games, but will play most anything.

JD10367
01-21-2010, 01:28 PM
On the main board, I started a thread about borderline-attractive Hollywood women. I'd love to have any of them on my Wii.

If you mean the video game system, I can't help you. I own one, but rarely use it.

DeezNutz
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Super Mario Wii is a lot of fun, if you're wondering about recent releases. Definitely worth the purchase.

I enjoy the virtual console, and Pilotwings has been my time-waster of choice, lately.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Sports: Pro Evolution Soccer and Madden 10 are both solid, fun games

Any of the Mario games
Boom Blox
Any of the Lego games

DeezNutz
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Oh, Tiger Woods '10 is probably the best golf game I've ever played.

Fantastic with motion plus.

Frazod
01-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Godfather Black Hand Edition. Massively better than the PC version. Added content, better gameplay.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
MarioKart is pretty cool.

HC_Chief
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Mario Kart is okay
Mario Galaxies is okay
Wii Sports gets the most PT
Wii Fit is okay

Wii = meh IMO

NewChief
01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
I usually play a round of mariokart before bed. Game pisses me off like crazy, though. Nothing like being in 1st place and getting nuked about 3 seconds from the finish, then getting knocked off when you come unnuked, and finishing in 12th.

Christofire
01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Mario Kart is okay
Mario Galaxies is okay
Wii Sports gets the most PT
Wii Fit is okay

Wii = meh IMO

I mostly like the fact that if you want to jump around and wave the controller like a four-year old, you can. I've done more than my share of sitting on my ass with a regular controller getting fat.

Christofire
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
I enjoy the virtual console, and Pilotwings has been my time-waster of choice, lately.

I'd love to have Rastan added to the virtual arcade games category. I spent a ton of money on that bad boy.

MOhillbilly
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
any good hockey games?
youd think with the controler/nunchuck set up a realistic hockey game would be epic.

DMAC
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Links Crossbow Training is super freakin fun and addictive as hell. Seriously, you will quit your job.

KJROD20
01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
It starts with Zelda, IMO, but I'm severely biased as I love every single Zelda game. Except Zelda 2 for NES. Shit sucked.

The Rick
01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh, Tiger Woods '10 is probably the best golf game I've ever played.

Fantastic with motion plus.
I'm trying to determine if this is a joke or not. :) If not, then I'm sure it could be...

Deberg_1990
01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
EA Grand Slam Tennis gets good reviews. I have yet to play it though.

Wii Sports Resort is fun.

Metroid Prime

Resident Evil

Guitar Hero of course

DJ Hero

Rock Band

Jerm
01-21-2010, 04:56 PM
These are the games that get the most run on my Wii...

New Super Mario Bros.
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Sports
Tiger Woods 10
Mario Kart
Super Mario Strikers
Posted via Mobile Device

Christofire
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
For a second there I thought I read Super Mario Streakers
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm trying to determine if this is a joke or not. :) If not, then I'm sure it could be...

Nailing golf groupies in the bonus rounds is a plus, for sure.

Guru
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I purchased EA Sports Active for my wife this past Christmas. Of course she never uses it. I started to use it and surprisingly it is a very good workout.

It does have a pitfall in that it does not let you continue until you match EXACTLY what the person on screen is doing and sometimes you can be exactly right and it still won't let you move on. Pisses me off when it does that.

My kids love Super Mario Wii and Metroid Trilogy but I haven't played either one of them yet.

patteeu
01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
I usually play a round of mariokart before bed. Game pisses me off like crazy, though. Nothing like being in 1st place and getting nuked about 3 seconds from the finish, then getting knocked off when you come unnuked, and finishing in 12th.

I've never played the Wii version, but in previous versions of MarioKart it seemed like the best strategy was to get a good weapon, hold it, go into the home stretch trailing the leaders by a little bit and then use the weapon for a come-from-behind victory. As you've experienced, 1st place is the death seat unless you can really extend the lead.

NewChief
01-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I've never played the Wii version, but in previous versions of MarioKart it seemed like the best strategy was to get a good weapon, hold it, go into the home stretch trailing the leaders by a little bit and then use the weapon for a come-from-behind victory. As you've experienced, 1st place is the death seat unless you can really extend the lead.

Yeah, I'm really torn on how I feel about the whole powerup/weapon part of the game. In one way it adds some fun randomness to the game that, I think, makes it even more addicting (sometimes frustration=addiction). On the other hand, it really annoys me at times, and I wonder if it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game in the long run. The fact that I've come in first in a hard race just by getting the rocket/bullet powerup twice in a row, moving me from 12th place to 1st place, is disturbingly random.

patteeu
01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah, I'm really torn on how I feel about the whole powerup/weapon part of the game. In one way it adds some fun randomness to the game that, I think, makes it even more addicting (sometimes frustration=addiction). On the other hand, it really annoys me at times, and I wonder if it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game in the long run. The fact that I've come in first in a hard race just by getting the rocket/bullet powerup twice in a row, moving me from 12th place to 1st place, is disturbingly random.

Yeah, that makes sense. My favorite part of the game was always the arena battle against other players.

HC_Chief
01-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I mostly like the fact that if you want to jump around and wave the controller like a four-year old, you can. I've done more than my share of sitting on my ass with a regular controller getting fat.

I hear you; I just wish the games were better. For the most part, Wii games = total shit.

I bought a Star Wars lightsaber game for my son; he's crazy abou Star Wars right now (6yo). No Yoda. No Vader. You fight Mace Windu, but you can't play as him. The controls are total crap on it.

I've returned at least three other games I purchased for the Wii because they were absolutely terrible.

The Wii is a novel concept, but the games for it, outside of the select few titles listed, are just awful.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2010, 09:06 AM
I hear you; I just wish the games were better. For the most part, Wii games = total shit.

I bought a Star Wars lightsaber game for my son; he's crazy abou Star Wars right now (6yo). No Yoda. No Vader. You fight Mace Windu, but you can't play as him. The controls are total crap on it.

I've returned at least three other games I purchased for the Wii because they were absolutely terrible.

The Wii is a novel concept, but the games for it, outside of the select few titles listed, are just awful.

My advice to you is to read the reviews online before you purchase.

Too many bad games out there to just blindly throw down 40 or 50 bills.

KCtotheSB
01-22-2010, 09:58 AM
I played through New Super Mario Bros. Wii right when I got the wife a Wii this past Christmas. Awesome game that brought me back to when I was playing through Super Mario Bros. 3 as a wee lad. Got the wife Mario Kart and that's a pretty fun game to play (not against her though, she gets pissed if she loses). Right now, I'm playing through Zelda: Twilight Princess. After that, I'll try Super Mario Galaxy.

As a whole though, ever since the GameCube days, I make it a rule to only purchase Nintendo games that star the big three (Mario, Link (Zelda) and Samus Aran (Metroid)). There is an absolutely epic amount of shitty games shoveled on the Wii and DS. After I get done with Super Mario Galaxy, I'll be playing my PS3 until the next big Mario/Zelda game.

I've never understood the "PS3 has no games" argument when console debates come up. I enjoy a fair amount of games on the PS3 and it's a HELL of a lot more then what's on the Wii....

Christofire
01-22-2010, 01:39 PM
I purchased EA Sports Active for my wife this past Christmas. Of course she never uses it. I started to use it and surprisingly it is a very good workout.

It does have a pitfall in that it does not let you continue until you match EXACTLY what the person on screen is doing and sometimes you can be exactly right and it still won't let you move on. Pisses me off when it does that.

I was looking at that at the store last night and have read some good reviews.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Been loving Goldeneye lately....

ANything new you guys been enjoying?

Fish
02-17-2011, 09:20 AM
I recently got a Wii. My parents had one for the grandkids that quit reading discs. Rather than send it in for warranty work, they bought a new one. They were going to trash the old one, so I took it to see what I could do.

I ended up fixing it pretty easily. It just needed the lens cleaned on the disc drive. And since then, I've got it modded to run "backup" games. It's attached to an external USB hard drive that holds all the games. It's really a cool setup.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through Zelda now. Damn what a game. How in the bloody fuck would you ever get through that game without some type of guide or walkthrough though?

Anyway, my current favorites are:
Zelda
Wii Sports Resort
Metroid: Other M
Super Mario Galaxy 1-2
Goldeneye

Simplex3
02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
My kids really love Lego Indiana Jones I and II, and have just started playing Lego Star Wars. They actually laugh out loud a lot in those and half the time my son is bouncing up and down while he plays them. We have Kirby's Epic Yarn but haven't had a chance to play it. I have high hopes for that one.

Saulbadguy
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
My kids really love Lego Indiana Jones I and II, and have just started playing Lego Star Wars. They actually laugh out loud a lot in those and half the time my son is bouncing up and down while he plays them. We have Kirby's Epic Yarn but haven't had a chance to play it. I have high hopes for that one.

Surprisingly fun.

allen_kcCard
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I have been playing a lot of black ops on it. I've never played it on one of the other systems or a PC, but I like it a lot on the Wii.

WV
02-17-2011, 10:11 AM
My kids (3 and 5) love Wii Party. There are a ton of games to play in multiple combos and it's entertaining for everyone.

ElGringo
02-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I recently got a wii and was running out of ideas for games, just wanted to say thanks for bringing this back up. I will probably give a go at quite a few of the games listed.

NewChief
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm liking Donkey Kong Country 2. I don't play it constantly or much, but I enjoy it when I play it. The main annoyance, to me, is that it's easier to play using only the WiiMote and without a nunchuk attached. I didn't even realize you could play it with just a single controller, then my nephews showed me. The game got much easier after that.

Jenson71
02-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Jeopardy and You Don't Know Jack are fun to play with someone. Just Dance 2 is good if you want to sweat.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Ive been wanting to try Zelda Twilight Princess and Sin and Punishment 2.

DMAC
02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
I enjoy Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Snow Princess

:rockon:

Fish
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I enjoy Dora the Explorer: Dora Saves the Snow Princess

:rockon:

It's better than Dora's Big Birthday Adventure... that's for sure...

Mr Luzcious
02-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm liking Donkey Kong Country 2. I don't play it constantly or much, but I enjoy it when I play it. The main annoyance, to me, is that it's easier to play using only the WiiMote and without a nunchuk attached. I didn't even realize you could play it with just a single controller, then my nephews showed me. The game got much easier after that.

2? Or..the new one.

NewChief
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
2? Or..the new one.

It's just 2.