PDA

View Full Version : Environment Lisa Murkowski wins Dem support onfight against EPA

talastan
01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
http://http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31797.html

Lisa Murkowski wins Dem support on EPA bill

Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.) is joining forces with Alaska Republican Lisa Murkowski in an effort to block the Environmental Protection Agency from regulating greenhouse gases.

Lincoln, a politically vulnerable senator who comes from a manufacturing state that leans Republican, warned that “heavy-handed EPA regulation, as well as the current cap and trade bills in Congress, will cost us jobs and put us at an even greater competitive disadvantage to China, India and others.”

Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) is also working with Murkowski on proposals to stop the EPA from regulating greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act.

The Democrats are bucking Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who has criticized the Murkowski proposal.

Murkowski plans to formally introduce a “resolution of disapproval” on Thursday, a rarely used process that allows Congress to overturn agency rules.

But to become law, her resolution must be passed by the House and signed by the president — an unlikely outcome given that President Barack Obama is unlikely to overturn a rule empowering his administration.

“My guess is that it probably wouldn’t meet with favor when it hits the White House, if it ever passes the House and the Senate,” said Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.).

The White House, Democratic leaders, and sponsors of climate change legislation have all said they would prefer to regulate emissions through legislation — rather than by agency action.

Garcia Bronco
01-21-2010, 02:35 PM
I love this. A governemnt agency has no ability to make laws nor can the Congress delegate that responsiblity without a Constitutional Amendment. The EPA, FCC, DOT, Executive Branch, etc cannot make laws under the US Constitution.

jjjayb
01-21-2010, 03:16 PM
I love this. A governemnt agency has no ability to make laws nor can the Congress delegate that responsiblity without a Constitutional Amendment. The EPA, FCC, DOT, Executive Branch, etc cannot make laws under the US Constitution.

The Constitution is merely a guide. It has nice suggestions, but we aren't supposed to really be following it to the letter are we? [/Pelosi, Reid, Obama]