PDA

View Full Version : Media Air America Goes Under

"Bob" Dobbs
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Air America Media To Shut Down
January 21, 2010: Air America Media is closing its doors, with the company set to file for Chapter 7 soon and wind down its business. The last live programming was set to air Thursday afternoon.

In a memo that went to to Air America Media staff today, company Chair Charlie Kireker said, "The very difficult economic environment has had a significant impact on Air America's business. This past year has seen a 'perfect storm' in the media industry generally. National and local advertising revenues have fallen drastically, causing many media companies nationwide to fold or seek bankruptcy protection."

Kireker said the company's "painstaking search for new investors has come close several times right up into this week, but ultimately fell short of success." Air America's new media projects were growing, he said, but continued, our expanding online efforts face the same monetization and profitability challenges in the short term confronting the WEb operations of most media companies."

Air America has about 100 affiliates, and Kireker said, "We will strive to assist affiliates and partners in achieving a smooth transition." Encore programming will be offered until 9 p.m. ET on Monday, he said, "at which time Air America programming will end."

Current employees will be paid through January 21, and full-time employees with more than six months at the company will be offered a severance package on Friday. The company's website has been replaced with an announcement largely mirroring Kireker's memo to staff.

Air America launched in 2004 with now-Senator Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo among its headlining personalities and during its eventful history saw frequent financial troubles and a previous Chapter 11 filing, in 2006.

Kireker wrote to staffers, "We are proud that Air America's mission lives on through the words and actions of so many former radio hosts who are active today in progressive causes and media nationwide. In the years ahead, as we look back, we should all be proud of our passionate determination to assure that our nation's progressive voice would be heard loud and clear. Through the hard work and dedication of current staff, and those who preceded you, a lasting legacy was forged which will now continue through other voices and venues. "

- Radio Ink

The Mad Crapper
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I didn't even know they were still around. I guess KC Naive will be spending even more time here, now.

petegz28
01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
I heard that earlier. Just more proof that liberal talk radio is not ever going to make it.

The Mad Crapper
01-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I heard that earlier. Just more proof that liberal talk radio is not ever going to make it.

It only works when the audience are all hostages.

wild1
01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
I find it amusing that this outfit run by liberals was clueless as to what it takes to make a profit and be self-sufficient.

"Bob" Dobbs
01-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm surprised AA didn't get a bunch of Obama money.

Stinger
01-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Air America Goes Under

Again? Isn't this the 2nd or 3rd time?

The Mad Crapper
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm surprised AA didn't get a bunch of Obama money.

I think even he's laughing at their dopey asses.

morphius
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
So is this also Bush's fault?

blaise
01-21-2010, 10:11 PM
If only we could force taxpayers to subsidize them with millions of dollars I'm sure they could succeed. That would be the fair thing to do.

ClevelandBronco
01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
So is this also Bush's fault?

In a way. With the Republicans out of power Air America has lost the only thing that ever really defined them: having a well-defined target for their uniquely liberal delusion of superiority.

Howling about Sarah Palin could only take them so far these days.

Joe Seahawk
01-21-2010, 11:15 PM
MSNBC will be next..

Chocolate Hog
01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Whens Olberman going to be booted?

Pitt Gorilla
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM
You've got to have an audience. I don't think most people have the ability to sit around and listen to talk radio all day.

mikey23545
01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
If only we could force taxpayers to subsidize them with millions of dollars I'm sure they could succeed. That would be the fair thing to do.

That's called PBS...

blaise
01-22-2010, 04:59 AM
You've got to have an audience. I don't think most people have the ability to sit around and listen to talk radio all day.

There's a big enough audience. They're just tuned into different stations.

HonestChieffan
01-22-2010, 05:29 AM
That's called PBS...

Bingo.

ILChief
01-22-2010, 05:35 AM

No it won't. There is a big difference between liberals and conservatives when it comes to TV and radio (this is the same reason Fox News gets way better ratings than MSNBC). Conservatives treat politics like a spectator sport they follow passionately. I know alot of people who the only thing they ever turn on the TV is Fox News. Liberals don't really get that engaged in politics except when there is a presidential election (also explains why Republicans usually fare better in midterm elections). Ratings for conservative vs. liberal tv and radio aren't indicative of how many conservatives and liberals there are in this country, just indicative of how engulfed they are in politics.

ILChief
01-22-2010, 05:36 AM
MSNBC will be next..

not hardly.

HonestChieffan
01-22-2010, 05:53 AM
http://www.weaselzippers.net/.a/6a00e008c6b4e58834012876fce338970c-800wi

Messier
01-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Air America pretty much died when Al Franken left.

The Mad Crapper
01-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Fox ratings are through the roof:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/01/21/cable-news-ratings-for-wednesday-january-20-2010/39723#more-39723

I guess people are finally starting to wake up to the fact that a Marxist has been running the Executive office for over a year, now.

Bwana
01-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Stick a for in it, it's done. :)

Someone put poor JaZ on suicide watch.

Chief Henry
01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Capitalism at work

Chief Henry
01-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Stick a for in it, it's done. :)

Someone put poor JaZ on suicide watch.

Jaz must be digging out of a serious snow bank...wheres he been?

He must have taken his football and went home.

Saul Good
01-22-2010, 06:34 PM
How did they try to solve their financial woes?

By trying to get investors to dump more cash into the black hole.

Saul Good
01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
No it won't. There is a big difference between liberals and conservatives when it comes to TV and radio (this is the same reason Fox News gets way better ratings than MSNBC). Conservatives treat politics like a spectator sport they follow passionately. I know alot of people who the only thing they ever turn on the TV is Fox News. Liberals don't really get that engaged in politics except when there is a presidential election (also explains why Republicans usually fare better in midterm elections). Ratings for conservative vs. liberal tv and radio aren't indicative of how many conservatives and liberals there are in this country, just indicative of how engulfed they are in politics.

You're pretty much on the money. The more you expand on liberal ideas, the less sense they make. The opposite holds true for conservatism.

MarcBulger
01-22-2010, 08:07 PM

So liberals are basically uneducated on the issues and the people they vote for and on....I see. Now its is starting to make since...

Direckshun
01-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Capitalism at work

End of thread.

Cannibal
01-22-2010, 08:52 PM
No liberals don't listen to political blow hards 24/7 like conservatives do. They generally have other interests.

ILChief
01-22-2010, 08:59 PM
So liberals are basically uneducated on the issues and the people they vote for and on....I see. Now its is starting to make since...

No we just don't need to listen to the same thing every night. And if you think Fox News or MSNBC "educate" anyone, you're delusional.

Direckshun
01-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Liberals don't march in lock-step like conservatives do. That's been a fact pretty much since the beginning of time.

headsnap
01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Liberals don't march in lock-step like conservatives do. That's been a fact pretty much since the beginning of time.

Liberals don't generalize either...

Direckshun
01-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Liberals don't generalize either...

What does that have to do with anything?

stevieray
01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Cannibal;6470208]No liberals don't listen to political blow hards 24/7 like conservatives do. They generally have other interests.[/QUOTE..]like pretending not to care about blowhards they talk about 24/7.

Dallas Chief
01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Jaz must be digging out of a serious snow bank...wheres he been?

He must have taken his football and went home.

Kind of hard to defend this undefendable bunch he wholeheartedly supported around here the past few years. Easier to duck and cover than hang around here and take his "told you so" medicine. Know what I mean?

Dallas Chief
01-22-2010, 10:35 PM

You are so right about that! They hold out to get better deals than everyone else for their state. Then they get in step.

fan4ever
01-22-2010, 10:38 PM

That's hilarious since you're liberal buddy said almost exactly the same thing...golly you guys are funny. I'm canceling cable and just going to listen to you all.

fan4ever
01-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Air America has gone under because radio is usually listened to by an audience in their car on their way to some kind of a job.

The Mad Crapper
01-22-2010, 10:41 PM
No we just don't need to listen to the same thing every night. And if you think Fox News or MSNBC "educate" anyone, you're delusional.

tho there thilly

fan4ever
01-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Actually, if you want liberal input, just turn on your T.V. and steer away from FOX...that's why they went under...an over abundance of supply versus demand.

Cannibal
01-22-2010, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Cannibal;6470208]No liberals don't listen to political blow hards 24/7 like conservatives do. They generally have other interests.[/QUOTE..]like pretending not to care about blowhards they talk about 24/7.

I honestly never listened to Air America a single solitary time. I have better things to listen to at work and Rush Limbaugh is not one of them either.

alanm
01-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Liberals don't generalize either...ROFLROFL

Baby Lee
01-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Because conservatives say 'I believe this' and liberals are simply the aggregation of every each and every iteration of 'I disagree, . . [and you're a monster]'

Earthling
01-23-2010, 08:24 AM
There's a big enough audience. They're just tuned into different stations.

That may be true enough, however, where I live there are 3 conservative radio stations and 0 nonconservative ones. So I never really had a choice personally.

Saul Good
01-23-2010, 08:27 AM
That may be true enough, however, where I live there are 3 conservative radio stations and 0 nonconservative ones. So I never really had a choice personally.

Do they have television where you live? NPR?

Earthling
01-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Do they have television where you live? NPR?

Point taken...Make that 3 to 1. However the tv in the car has never worked.:D

Saul Good
01-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Point taken...Make that 3 to 1. However the tv in the car has never worked.:D

ABC? NBC? CBS?

Earthling
01-23-2010, 08:43 AM
ABC? NBC? CBS?

Actually I get Direct TV and can get local with some manipulation of a long wire I have attatched and help from God. Unlike Air America, NPR, CBS, ABC, nor NBC, ever considered or called themselves a totally liberal network. Thats a huge difference.

notorious
01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Conservative radio hosts are a lot better entertainers.

Limbaugh for the right and Beck for the middle are a lot more entertaining then the guys on Sirius left.

I listen to all of them pretty equally to get different takes and ideas, and that is my perspective.

Before you guys go off on my take as Beck being "middle", make sure you listen to his show regularly before you take shots at my observation.

ILChief
01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Conservative radio hosts are a lot better entertainers.

Limbaugh for the right and Beck for the middle are a lot more entertaining then the guys on Sirius left.

I listen to all of them pretty equally to get different takes and ideas, and that is my perspective.

Before you guys go off on my take as Beck being "middle", make sure you listen to his show regularly before you take shots at my observation.

Franken's show was entertaining. His Rumsfeld and Limbaugh impressions were dead on, Frank Caliendo quality.

Come on, Beck in the middle? Maybe in the middle if Limbaugh is one side and Hannity is the other.

notorious
01-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Franken's show was entertaining. His Rumsfeld and Limbaugh impressions were dead on, Frank Caliendo quality.

Come on, Beck in the middle? Maybe in the middle if Limbaugh is one side and Hannity is the other.

I agree, Franken is great. His background in TV Comedy definately helped helped him shine.

As for Beck, he has stated that he doesn't care if there are Republicans or Democrats in power as long as they control their spending. His blessing or curse (depending on which side your are looking from) is that he has a very hard edge on his takes.

Beck has been real hard on Bush and other Republicans countless amount of times, it's just that the liberals are in power now, so they get more attention.

Religiously, he is definately right of center, but other then that he is about as middle of the road as I have heard. With what is on the radio, though, if one were right down the middle, their ratings would suck, since the only way to bring an audience is to have controversial material.

blaise
01-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Yeah, no way liberals do that. They respect diversity of opinion...as long as your opinions match theirs.