PDA

View Full Version : Computers I give up

big nasty kcnut
01-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Itry everything and my computer it's not old in fact it's fairly new is slower then molasses. give me a program or something to speed it up.

Mr. Laz
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
gonna need more information that that before anyone can help

specs of computer
what you are using it for
slow all the time or just doing certain things

big nasty kcnut
01-21-2010, 09:46 PM
it's a emachine 256gb use it only for internet slow all the time it won't pull up program fast enough or download files fast.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-21-2010, 09:47 PM
http://www.finallyfast.com/

Don't do it Nut. It's a rip off. I can't help you but someone around here can.

-King-
01-21-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.finallyfast.com/

Don't do it Nut. It's a rip off. I can't help you but someone around here can.

Hey, my laptop is FINALLY FAST! Thanks!

Mr. Laz
01-21-2010, 09:55 PM
it's a emachine 256gb use it only for internet slow all the time it won't pull up program fast enough or download files fast.
well emachines usually come with a bunch of junk loaded on them which will usually slow everything down.

my first suggestion would be to format and load a fresh,clean OS installation if you have a disk.

secondly, how much memory do you have?

QuikSsurfer
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Itry everything and my computer it's not old in fact it's fairly new is slower then molasses. give me a program or something to speed it up.

When did it start acting sluggish?
Web pages are slow to load? What about programs like Word?
Do you have a lot of programs set to startup when your computer boots? (bottom right of your task bar).

How much RAM do you have?

Royal Fanatic
01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
First, download and run MALWAREBYTES. It will scan your computer and remove all of the malware it can find. It's free, and it's the industry leader. Just Google "malwarebytes download" and go from there.

Second, go to www.crucial.com and allow it to scan your computer and recommend a memory upgrade. You should upgrade to at least 1 GB. You can order the memory online from that site and they'll ship it to you. Memory is very cheap these days. If you don't know how to open the case and pop in the memory sticks, find a friend who can do it for you.

big nasty kcnut
01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
512MB removable

big nasty kcnut
01-21-2010, 10:07 PM
When did it start acting sluggish? alway
Web pages are slow to load? What about programs like Word? yes it could be faster
Do you have a lot of programs set to startup when your computer boots? (bottom right of your task bar). no

Royal Fanatic
01-21-2010, 10:07 PM
512MB removable
Not enough.

Mastashake
01-21-2010, 10:15 PM

Memory would be your best bet. Followed by (at this point) a new computer. Be careful, though. Most people will rush out and get the largest memory card they can. But your BIOS may only support chips up to a certain size. Just a head's up.

Also the startup programs can definitely mess with stuff. I don't know a really good way to tell someone how to get rid of them. The best way I guess is to click on all the little symbols down there and see which ones are silly stuff like messengers, P2P software (HORRIBLE idea to auto-load), etc. If you enter the program there is sometimes a setting under options which allows you to uncheck a box like, "Open at system startup," or something like that. Other than that you have to enter msconfig, which is definitely not for computer noobs (I don't go in there, lol).

alanm
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Nut, download this.
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html
And then run it and the Smart Defrag.

kaplin42
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
First, download and run MALWAREBYTES. It will scan your computer and remove all of the malware it can find. It's free, and it's the industry leader. Just Google "malwarebytes download" and go from there.

Second, go to www.crucial.com and allow it to scan your computer and recommend a memory upgrade. You should upgrade to at least 1 GB. You can order the memory online from that site and they'll ship it to you. Memory is very cheap these days. If you don't know how to open the case and pop in the memory sticks, find a friend who can do it for you.

Sound advice. Except i would go at least 2 to 4 gigs of RAM. Also go to your start menu > run > type in msconfig > select the start up tab, and uncheck anything that isn't AV or OS related. if you're not sure what something is, google it. Having a shit ton of stuff on startup will slow your machine down a lot.