PDA

View Full Version : Education The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

Direckshun
01-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Just got done watching a little Olbermann tonight, and he ended up apologizing for something that Stewart pointed out: that he had gone ridiculously over the top in criticizing Scott Brown.

So this concludes a roughly one month period where Jon Stewart has essentially "earned" public apologies from Keith Olbermann and Sean Hannity (for pointing out that Hannity was doctoring footage) because of expositions he's performed on them.

In the past year, he has also laid the biggest televised smackdown on the financial industry and the figures responsible for it when he laid out Cramer. And he's been more critical of Obama than virtually any other big name liberal public figure.

Sooner or later, I am going to sit here enjoying what has been my favorite show of the past decade, and the conservative detractors of his are going to come around to the conclusion that I've been at for years: that he calls them as he sees them from his perspective, much like the conservative blowhards many of you detractors enjoy, only with much more nonpartisanship in his crosshairs than Hannity, Levin, Krauthammer, Beck, or Drudge.

Dallas Chief
01-23-2010, 12:13 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrYwA4dBuV4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GrYwA4dBuV4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

petegz28
01-23-2010, 01:20 AM
I loved it when he slammed Cramer. That guy is a joke. He said stocks would have a huge rally if Brown won. The market dropped 200 points. I never listen to Cramer.

SNR
01-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Colbert is still way better

mlyonsd
01-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Really? Stewart has been going after Obama and exposing him as the non-leader he ended up being and how his agenda is so elitist even a democratic congressional super majority can't pass it?

Man, I've missed that. Maybe I should start tuning in too.

|Zach|
01-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Really? Stewart has been going after Obama and exposing him as the non-leader he ended up being and how his agenda is so elitist even a democratic congressional super majority can't pass it?

Man, I've missed that. Maybe I should start tuning in too.
I know this was meant in jest but...

He goes after Obama all. the. time.

You really...literally must be missing it.

mlyonsd
01-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Yeah I never watch it. But if he goes after Obama all the time I wonder why I don't ever see any clips posted here like we saw when he made Bush out to be a buffoon.

Post some and maybe you can turn me into a fan.

Reaper16
01-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah I never watch it. But if he goes after Obama all the time I wonder why I don't ever see any clips posted here like we saw when he made Bush out to be a buffoon.

www.comedycentral.com (http://www.comedycentral.com), you intellectually lazy twat.

mlyonsd
01-23-2010, 09:19 AM
www.comedycentral.com (http://www.comedycentral.com), you intellectually lazy twat.

Thanks, but I know where his show airs.

Fat Elvis
01-23-2010, 09:36 AM

This is pretty good....

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-18-2010/mass-backwards

Saul Good
01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
I loved it when he slammed Cramer. That guy is a joke. He said stocks would have a huge rally if Brown won. The market dropped 200 points. I never listen to Cramer.

That's not really accurate. The market went way up when it was clear that Brown was going to win. Obama then announced a new bank plan that tanked the market. It's not Cramer's fault that Obama bombed the market. He was right about Brown.

Guru
01-23-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't always like his viewpoints but he is an equal opportunity basher.

|Zach|
01-23-2010, 04:04 PM

I have no desire to turn you into a fan. I do have a desire to counter a person who admittedly knows little about what they are talking about.

mlyonsd
01-23-2010, 04:39 PM
I have no desire to turn you into a fan. I do have a desire to counter a person who admittedly knows little about what they are talking about.

That's fair.

ClevelandBronco
01-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Stewart is a funny guy. Take it from me. I've seen his show twice.

DJ's left nut
01-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Fuck me, this is ironic.

Guru
01-23-2010, 05:16 PM
**** me, this is ironic.http://www.zuguide.com/image/Christian-Slater-Robin-Hood-Prince-of-Thieves.11.jpg

Baby Lee
01-23-2010, 05:17 PM

As for Herman Edwards, he's a full on retard who ruined my favorite team and embodies every scintilla of evil that is implied in a horrendous coach.

As for Haley, gee I really loved that offense you ran in Arizona. Please get around to installing it here.

How'd I do at 'going after' the Chief's last two coaches, |. . . .|?

|Zach|
01-23-2010, 05:40 PM
As for Herman Edwards, he's a full on retard who ruined my favorite team and embodies every scintilla of evil that is implied in a horrendous coach.

As for Haley, gee I really loved that offense you ran in Arizona. Please get around to installing it here.

Feel free to make your point more clear. How is Stewart not cutting it here.

He goes after both sides..the effect that has is what it has...maybe it is small maybe it is big. Come what may?

Guru
01-23-2010, 05:45 PM

He goes after both sides..the effect that has is what it has...maybe it is small maybe it is big. Come what may?The thing I am seeing with Stewart is the fact that you know which side he falls on. For some, that probably outweighs the fact that he still makes fun of liberals because he tends to do it from the "are we really this stupid" standpoint. Doesn't make it less funny though. He makes people laugh, including me, so he is doing his job effectively which is all that really matters.

|Zach|
01-23-2010, 05:48 PM
The thing I am seeing with Stewart is the fact that you know which side he falls on. For some, that probably outweighs the fact that he still makes fun of liberals because he tends to do it from the "are we really this stupid" standpoint. Doesn't make it less funny though. He makes people laugh, including me, so he is doing his job effectively which is all that really matters.

I don't disagree with that...and it was very much like that during the Bush administration. I think the humor comes from that angle less and less these days.

Guru
01-23-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't disagree with that...and it was very much like that during the Bush administration. I think the humor comes from that angle less and less these days.I do love that there is somebody out there that isn't afraid to knock the crap out of both sides.

Taco John
01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I like Stewart. I think he's got a good sense of fairness, despite the fact that his sense of fairness causes him to make fun of Obama and Democrats for not being liberal enough.

Aside from that though, my love for Stewart is what he represents to journalism and the media in general. He's going to be an important figure in college comm classes for years to come.

Baby Lee
01-23-2010, 05:59 PM

He goes after both sides..the effect that has is what it has...maybe it is small maybe it is big. Come what may?

If you see 'you anger me with your evil deeds' and 'you disappointment me with you ineffectiveness in realizing my aspirations for you' as equivalent critiques, there's not a lot of common ground we can cover.

Perhaps you could recall for me instances trending toward the former in the Obama era?

Granted he does lean slightly that way in Olbermann's case, but those particular remarks that occasioned it are pretty darn egregious, no matter your political stripe.

|Zach|
01-23-2010, 06:07 PM
If you see 'you anger me with your evil deeds' and 'you disappointment me with you ineffectiveness in realizing my aspirations for you' as equivalent critiques, there's not a lot of common ground we can cover.

Perhaps you could recall for me instances trending toward the former in the Obama era?

Granted he does lean slightly that way in Olbermann's case, but those particular remarks that occasioned it are pretty darn egregious, no matter your political stripe.

I get it now. And no I don't equate those two but I also don't see that as how he characterizes the right for the most part. I think you see a lot more shots at what he sees as hypocricy, anti intellectualism, and dopeyness (same as the left) when he goes after the right.

Silock
01-23-2010, 06:10 PM
That's not really accurate. The market went way up when it was clear that Brown was going to win. Obama then announced a new bank plan that tanked the market. It's not Cramer's fault that Obama bombed the market. He was right about Brown.

This.

Direckshun
01-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Nobody's arguing that he doesn't come from a liberal perspective.

But the argument that he's a blind partisan is silly.

Taco John
01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, he's not blind.

patteeu
01-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Nobody's arguing that he doesn't come from a liberal perspective.

But the argument that he's a blind partisan is silly.

The same could be said about most, if not all, of the conservatives you mentioned in your OP.

Reaper16
01-24-2010, 09:40 AM
The same could be said about most, if not all, of the conservatives you mentioned in your OP.
I can see that being said for Krauthammer but that's it.

RedNeckRaider
01-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Do you not understand he should be held up as a great defender after pointing out Olbermann made an ass out of himself...again.

Baby Lee
01-24-2010, 10:11 AM

Were you asleep during the Harriet Meyers circus and the attempts at immigration and social security reform?

patteeu
01-24-2010, 10:13 AM

I agree that Krauthammer is one of the best examples, but I think Drudge is an even better one.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Tempest in a teapot, but possibly interesting.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/women-of-the-daily-show-respond-to-accusations-tha,42829/

http://jezebel.com/5570545/comedy-of-errors-behind-the-scenes-of-the--daily-shows-lady-problem?skyline=true&s=i

http://www.thedailyshow.com/message?xrs=synd_facebook

http://tigerbeatdown.com/2010/07/06/and-now-a-word-from-the-daily-show/

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/48295510.html?thread=8090911062

In short, TDS has had a little controversy simmering on the outskirts for a while where snubbed 'quirky' female applicants felt they got short shrift. And a little 'CW" started to percolate that TDS was a frat atmosphere. There was that infamous face off between a female former co-creator who was subsequently not invited up to accept a Grammy. And now, with the hiring of Olivia Munn as a correspondent [eye candy?], kitty claws are out all over the place.
And Olivia has cleared the controversy all up by telling haters to put down the sammich, step away from the computer and take a walk.