PDA

View Full Version : Computers Exchange 2007? Any Experts?

Reerun_KC
01-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Have some trouble with and the server sending mail out to the internet.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Saulbadguy
01-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Yes.

thecoffeeguy
01-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Post some info...see what we can do.

Reerun_KC
01-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Okay I am having 2 issues.

I am working on a 2007 Exchange server running on a single domain. Windows 2008 SBS. This is for Buehler_445's parent farm.

The problem I am having is I cant send mail from the Exchange 2007 server to anyone. I have set up the SMTP connector as described on ms website and everyone online. Problem is, I cant get mail to go out. I can recieve mail into the server from my cox account, but cant send out. (usually mail receiving is the hardest part).

So what am I doing wrong?

Second, I am getting some crappy password from Outlook 2007 and exchange 2007. I cant figure out what is wrong? Why does it need a password ever 20 seconds to connect to the exchange server.

Really frustrating. Its nothing like any of the previous versions.

Thoughts?

DaFace
01-24-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm a novice at this stuff, so others might have better ideas. But I'd start by turning on logging and checking out the SMTP logs. There are so many different things that could be wrong that I'd think you'd need to narrow it down a bit for others to be able to give suggestions.

bishop_74
01-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Do you have your resolvers set up correctly? Might check some DNS names and see if your server is resolving them.

Braincase
01-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Okay I am having 2 issues.

I am working on a 2007 Exchange server running on a single domain. Windows 2008 SBS. This is for Buehler_445's parent farm.

The problem I am having is I cant send mail from the Exchange 2007 server to anyone. I have set up the SMTP connector as described on ms website and everyone online. Problem is, I cant get mail to go out. I can recieve mail into the server from my cox account, but cant send out. (usually mail receiving is the hardest part).

So what am I doing wrong?

Second, I am getting some crappy password from Outlook 2007 and exchange 2007. I cant figure out what is wrong? Why does it need a password ever 20 seconds to connect to the exchange server.

Really frustrating. Its nothing like any of the previous versions.

Thoughts?

I don't know much about the SBS version, but I'd look at outbound DNS on the SMTP connector for the Hub Transport Server. Make sure it's outbound to *, and double check that you can touch your external DNS, make sure port 53 is open.

As for the password issue, I'd be curious about whether it's an Outlook issue, Exchange issue or a DC issue. Does the same thing happen when you connect through Outlook Web Access? Has anybody modified the Kerberos settings in the Domain Controller group policy? Have you tried removing the client from the domain and rejoining it?

Reerun_KC
01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Do you have your resolvers set up correctly? Might check some DNS names and see if your server is resolving them.

Yes this is working, can resolve inside and outside. Along with sending mail into the server.

Reerun_KC
01-24-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm a novice at this stuff, so others might have better ideas. But I'd start by turning on logging and checking out the SMTP logs. There are so many different things that could be wrong that I'd think you'd need to narrow it down a bit for others to be able to give suggestions.

Have been doing that and watching the Queue's to see what is holding the mail up at this point.

Here is the mail sitting in the queue.

Identity: BSTORE\19\22
Subject:
Internet Message ID: <BBFFB00D5F1389429CDF215D06B81B8C21E10B95@BSTORE.buehlerfarms.local>
From Address: bryan@buehlerfarms.us
Size (KB): 1
Message Source Name: FromLocal
Source IP: 255.255.255.255
SCL: -1
Date Received: 1/23/2010 4:42:02 PM
Expiration Time: 1/25/2010 4:42:02 PM
Last Error: 400 4.4.7 Message delayed
Queue ID: BSTORE\19
Recipients: reerun_kc@cox.net

I did find something new out last night. The are using wbsnet.org as their ISP. Last night we sent a test message out of the mail server to another wbsnet account and the mail went. But it showed up as spam on the users mail account online and wouldnt deliver to the recipient.

My guess is that low rent ISP they are using has something blocking the mail on their side... I have spoke with them in person, they are nerdy control freaks about their network. We will be off that network around March anyway. Speeds are a joke and now this.

Reerun_KC
01-24-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't know much about the SBS version, but I'd look at outbound DNS on the SMTP connector for the Hub Transport Server. Make sure it's outbound to *, and double check that you can touch your external DNS, make sure port 53 is open.

As for the password issue, I'd be curious about whether it's an Outlook issue, Exchange issue or a DC issue. Does the same thing happen when you connect through Outlook Web Access? Has anybody modified the Kerberos settings in the Domain Controller group policy? Have you tried removing the client from the domain and rejoining it?

I did get hung up on the "*" on the outbound at first. But resloved that issue and DNS is working properly.

yeah the pwd issue is strange one... Will post when I figure that one out.

thecoffeeguy
01-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Have been doing that and watching the Queue's to see what is holding the mail up at this point.

Here is the mail sitting in the queue.

Identity: BSTORE\19\22
Subject:
Internet Message ID: <BBFFB00D5F1389429CDF215D06B81B8C21E10B95@BSTORE.buehlerfarms.local>
From Address: bryan@buehlerfarms.us
Size (KB): 1
Message Source Name: FromLocal
Source IP: 255.255.255.255
SCL: -1
Date Received: 1/23/2010 4:42:02 PM
Expiration Time: 1/25/2010 4:42:02 PM
Last Error: 400 4.4.7 Message delayed
Queue ID: BSTORE\19
Recipients: reerun_kc@cox.net

I did find something new out last night. The are using wbsnet.org as their ISP. Last night we sent a test message out of the mail server to another wbsnet account and the mail went. But it showed up as spam on the users mail account online and wouldnt deliver to the recipient.

My guess is that low rent ISP they are using has something blocking the mail on their side... I have spoke with them in person, they are nerdy control freaks about their network. We will be off that network around March anyway. Speeds are a joke and now this.

are you familiar with doing a manual SMTP conversation from your Exchange server to the other mail server?

You basically telnet from your Exchange server to the other mail server for the domain you want to send mail to.

Easy way to test things out, see if you get any deny message, or if the message is indeed delivered.

http://www.networkclue.com/internet/SMTP/manual-test.aspx

Reerun_KC
01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
are you familiar with doing a manual SMTP conversation from your Exchange server to the other mail server?

You basically telnet from your Exchange server to the other mail server for the domain you want to send mail to.

Easy way to test things out, see if you get any deny message, or if the message is indeed delivered.

http://www.networkclue.com/internet/SMTP/manual-test.aspx

Its been awhile, but will try it and post the results.

Reerun_KC
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
ISP was blocking port 25 on their network for outbound mail...

Problem solved!