PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Copenhagen costs over $1 mil

petegz28
01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
You have to be ****ing kidding me! These people are out of ****ing control!

(CBS) Thanks to a recently filed Congressional expense reports there's new light shed on the Copenhagen Climate Summit in Denmark and how much it cost taxpayers.

CBS News Investigative correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports official filings and our own investigation show at least 106 people from the House and Senate attended - spouses, a doctor, a protocol expert and even a photographer.

Read the Congressional Expense Report

For 15 Democratic and 6 Republican Congressmen, food and rooms for two nights cost $4,406 tax dollars each. That's $2,200 a day - more than most Americans spend on their monthly mortgage payment.

CBS News asked members of Congress and staff about whether they're mindful that it's public tax dollars they're spending. Many said they had never even seen the bills or the expense reports.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., is a key climate change player. He went to Copenhagen last year. Last week, we asked him about the $2,200-a-day bill for room and food.

"I can't believe that," Rep. Waxman said. "I can't believe it, but I don't know."

But his name is in black and white in the expense reports. The group expense report was filed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. She wouldn't talk about it when our producer tried to ask.
Pelosi's office did offer an explanation for the high room charges. Those who stayed just two nights were charged a six-night minimum at the five-star Marriott. One staffer said, they strongly objected to no avail. You may ask how they'll negotiate a climate treaty, if they can't get a better deal on hotel rooms.

Total hotel, meeting rooms and "a couple" of $1,000-a-night hospitality suites topped $400,000.

Flights weren't cheap, either. Fifty-nine House and Senate staff flew commercial during the Copenhagen rush. They paid government rates -- $5-10,000 each -- totaling $408,064. Add three military jets -- $168,351 just for flight time -- and the bill tops $1.1 million dollars -- not including all the Obama administration officials who attended: well over 60.

In fairness, many attendees told us they did a lot of hard work, and the laid groundwork for a future global treaty.

"I was there because I thought it was important for me to be there," Rep. Waxman said. "I didn't look at it as a pleasure trip."

But considering the size of the deficit, and the fact that that no global deal would be reached -- critics question the super-sized U.S. delegation -- more than 165 -- leaving the impression there's dollars to burn. In this case, more than a million.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/25/cbsnews_investigates/main6140406.shtml

Taco John
01-25-2010, 08:41 PM
I"ve said it before, might as well say it again. We'd have got a lot more accomplished for a lot cheaper if they would have just sent them all to a Star Trek convention. The science would have been more valid too boot.

petegz28
01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I"ve said it before, might as well say it again. We'd have got a lot more accomplished for a lot cheaper if they would have just sent them all to a Star Trek convention. The science would have been more valid too boot.

This is the kind of shit that makes me want to go to D.C. and start throwing rocks at these people.

petegz28
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
$2,200 is more than I spent on a 3 day vacation to San Francisco with my wife, non-stop flight, upgraded seats, 2 bags, room, cab fare and food.

ClevelandBronco
01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
If I'd have been asked to guess the cost of sending our crack team to this circle jerk I would have guessed in multiples of this amount. The relatively low price tag surprises me.

petegz28
01-25-2010, 09:07 PM
If I'd have been asked to guess the cost of sending our crack team to this circle jerk I would have guessed in multiples of this amount. The relatively low price tag surprises me.

This isn't including Obama's people. This is just the 21 Congressional peeps.

wild1
01-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Look at the bright side, if the whole thing hadn't failed we would have been on the hook for hundreds of billions more than this.

Earthling
01-26-2010, 01:18 AM
This is the kind of shit that makes me want to go to D.C. and start throwing rocks at these people.

Are you crazy? Have you seen what a bucket of rocks cost ya in DC !!??

The Mad Crapper
01-26-2010, 04:18 AM

ROFL

Norman Einstein
01-26-2010, 04:53 AM

But a million dollars for 2 days? That's not a relatively low price tag, it's exorbitant for anyone using my money to pay for a boondoggle.

http://www.usa.gov/Federal_Employees/Travel.shtml

It looks to be convoluted and full of holes, but the common worker for the gov is limited to what they can spend for travel. This administration is totally out of control.

What did it cost for Obama to take the wife out to dinner in NYC?

Norman Einstein
01-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Are you crazy? Have you seen what a bucket of rocks cost ya in DC !!??Open an import business and ship in the good rocks from Colorado. You can sell them at half what the goons in DC are selling them for and retire early.

Earthling
01-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Open an import business and ship in the good rocks from Colorado. You can sell them at half what the goons in DC are selling them for and retire early.

Yep! Rock bottom prices !

petegz28
01-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I would love to see Queen Nan-Nan actually address this.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
$2,200 is more than I spent on a 3 day vacation to San Francisco with my wife, non-stop flight, upgraded seats, 2 bags, room, cab fare and food.

7 day Spring Training trip with with tickets to 5 games and an oceanfront hotel room will run us around 2K if we don't monitor food costs at all.

The government sucks balls.

Saul Good
01-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Those who stayed just two nights were charged a six-night minimum at the five-star Marriott. One staffer said, they strongly objected to no avail. You may ask how they'll negotiate a climate treaty, if they can't get a better deal on hotel rooms.

petegz28
01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Those who stayed just two nights were charged a six-night minimum at the five-star Marriott. One staffer said, they strongly objected to no avail. You may ask how they'll negotiate a climate treaty, if they can't get a better deal on hotel rooms.

They didn't object. I don't buy that bullshit for 1 New York minute. They are either lying about the 6 night bill or knew about it going in and said "it ain't our money, who gives a fuck??".