PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Cynicism

NewChief
01-26-2010, 08:14 AM
I was listening to NPR this morning, and they were doing a special on a Kurdish election in Kirkuk. They were talking to all these people on the streets, and basically all of them were saying the same thing: Politicians are scumbags. They're all corrupt. They only care about themselves.

While I think that some Americans would say that when interviewed (and more would say it online), most Americans, in the past, have still had some belief in our political process. If you went out and interviewed 50 people during election, most of them would have a candidate they're pulling for. Few of them would say things to the effect of, "They're all scumbags. It doesn't matter what we do. They only care about themselves."

So that got me to thinking that, in America, we still have an electorate who have, for the most part, bought into the process and believe that their vote matters. Then that got me to thinking... but for how long? We seem to be reaching to unprecedented levels of disgust and cynicism... from both sides of the aisle. Now I'm not old enough to remember past epochs in American politics, so what say you. Are we entering a new phase of our political system or is this just another cycle?

HonestChieffan
01-26-2010, 08:23 AM
I disagree. I think we are seeing a re awakening of an electorate that had gone on autopilot for too long. This may be the best thing to happen in years.

mlyonsd
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
I was listening to NPR this morning, and they were doing a special on a Kurdish election in Kirkuk. They were talking to all these people on the streets, and basically all of them were saying the same thing: Politicians are scumbags. They're all corrupt. They only care about themselves.

While I think that some Americans would say that when interviewed (and more would say it online), most Americans, in the past, have still had some belief in our political process. If you went out and interviewed 50 people during election, most of them would have a candidate they're pulling for. Few of them would say things to the effect of, "They're all scumbags. It doesn't matter what we do. They only care about themselves."

So that got me to thinking that, in America, we still have an electorate who have, for the most part, bought into the process and believe that their vote matters. Then that got me to thinking... but for how long? We seem to be reaching to unprecedented levels of disgust and cynicism... from both sides of the aisle. Now I'm not old enough to remember past epochs in American politics, so what say you. Are we entering a new phase of our political system or is this just another cycle?

I don't think the level of cynicm has reached the 60's or 70's yet. JMO.

KC native
01-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't notice. I'm pretty cynical all the time. IMO if things aren't turned around I think we'll see a lot more apathy wrt elections again in the near future.

Earthling
01-26-2010, 08:43 AM
It seems like its polarized more now (at least from 2000 on) than I can ever remember, with apparent outright hatred for those with opposing views.

blaise
01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
I disagree. I think the majority of Americans wouldn't even be sure who was on the ballot.

fan4ever
01-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Some years back I thought people were really waking up to the political corruption in this country; that things were changing.

Then my wife and I rented "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" and I was so depressed.

Although only a movie, it demonstrated that people considered Washington a cesspool of corruption even way back then...and that was filmed about 60 years ago.

Washington will never change, but if we didn't pay attention, and hold them accountable from time to time, imagine how much worse it would become.