PDA

View Full Version : Media Poll: Fox is most trusted name in news

alanm
01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Fox is the most trusted television news network in the country, according to a new poll out Tuesday.

A Public Policy Polling nationwide survey of 1,151 registered voters Jan. 18-19 found that 49 percent of Americans trusted Fox News, 10 percentage points more than any other network.

Thirty-seven percent said they didn’t trust Fox, also the lowest level of distrust that any of the networks recorded.

There was a strong partisan split among those who said they trusted Fox — with 74 percent of Republicans saying they trusted the network, while only 30 percent of Democrats said they did.

CNN was the second-most-trusted network, getting the trust of 39 percent of those polled. Forty-one percent said they didn’t trust CNN.

Each of the three major networks was trusted by less than 40 percent of those surveyed, with NBC ranking highest at 35 percent. Forty-four percent said they did not trust NBC, which was combined with its sister cable station MSNBC.

Thirty-two percent of respondents said they trusted CBS, while 31 percent trusted ABC. Both CBS and ABC were not trusted by 46 percent of those polled.

“A generation ago you would have expected Americans to place their trust in the most neutral and unbiased conveyors of news,” said PPP President Dean Debnam in his analysis of the poll. “But the media landscape has really changed, and now they’re turning more toward the outlets that tell them what they want to hear.”

The telephone poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percentage points

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/32039.html#ixzz0dluPeevZ

alanm
01-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Just sayin. :shrug:

Saul Good
01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Not only are they the most trusted by a landslide. They are the only one that is trusted more than distrusted.

BTW, I love how they tried to spin the results.

Cannibal
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Some people who watch Fox also think that Steven Colbert is serious and they think he's a conservative.

http://hij.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/14/2/212

Norman Einstein
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Wait til the flamers get here. This thread is just bait for the liberals.

You'll probably catch a load of them.

Edit: too late Cannibus is on line and running.

Reaper16
01-26-2010, 07:07 PM
this is huh wow

petegz28
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
this is huh wow

No Sir. This is not surprising at all. When you look at the ratings of Fox compared to others this has a surprise level of 0. And it would do Obama and the rest of the Dems to pay attention to that fact as they slam Fox News.

Reaper16
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
No Sir. This is not surprising at all. When you look at the ratings of Fox compared to others this has a surprise level of 0. And it would do Obama and the rest of the Dems to pay attention to that fact as they slam Fox News.
:(

VAChief
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Some people who watch Fox also think that Steven Colbert is serious and they think he's a conservative.

http://hij.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/14/2/212

Or maybe "The Onion." Seriously, I don't doubt the veracity, considering the American Idol, reality tv mentality we have sunk to in this country.

Donger
01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Trusted to do what, exactly?

petegz28
01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
:(

Yea, well, slamming Fox, ignoring opposition and downplaying those who don't say what you want to hear has worked out great for Obama so far. ROFL

Cannibal
01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Or maybe "The Onion." Seriously, I don't doubt the veracity, considering the American Idol, reality tv mentality we have sunk to in this country.

We've already seen "The Onion" thing happen on this board.

Chiefspants
01-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Well with the unbiased, reliable, and intelligent personalities such as Palin and Beck, who wouldn't believe that Fox was the most trusted network?

Cannibal
01-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Well with the unbiased, reliable, and intelligent personalities such as Palin and Beck, who wouldn't believe that Fox was the most trusted network?

ROFL

dirk digler
01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
This doesn't surprise me in the least. They got their start with Clinton and Obama has been really good business for them.

KC native
01-26-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm interested in how they polled this. I find it hard to believe. Perhaps an alternative explanation is that non-republicans are more critical of all their news sources? :shrug:

petegz28
01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm interested in how they polled this. I find it hard to believe. Perhaps an alternative explanation is that non-republicans are more critical of all their news sources? :shrug:

I think to assume only Repubs watch Fox is a bad assumption.

Norman Einstein
01-26-2010, 08:24 PM

You find it hard to believe because it goes against your core beliefs; Fox can't be unbiased or more truthful because they are conservative and they are racist.

ILChief
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM

don't forget Karl Rove

KC native
01-26-2010, 08:29 PM
I think to assume only Repubs watch Fox is a bad assumption.

I don't. I just didn't feel like typing out all my questions. This is a poll that I would really like to read the questions and how the sample breaks down. I tried googling the name to find it but i didn't see any relevant hits and don't feel like searching for it as I'm about to hop on a video game.

Brock
01-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Not all networks have such unbiased, fair viewpoints of a Keith Olbermann.

Cannibal
01-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Not all networks have such unbiased, fair viewpoints of a Keith Olbermann.

While you make a very good point, I'll just say that to my knowledge, Olberman makes no bones about his bias and he certainly doesn't call himself "Fair and Balanced".

dirk digler
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_National_126.pdf

If you read through the cross-tabs Conservatives don't like any network except Fox while Liberals like all of them except Fox.

But 24% of liberals do trust Fox which is higher than any conservative numbers with the rest of the networks.

Norman Einstein
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
While you make a very good point, I'll just say that to my knowledge, Olberman makes no bones about his bias and he certainly doesn't call himself "Fair and Balanced".

Wouldn't that be kind of hypocritical of him to maintain his bias and try to call himself F&B?

The answer to your comment is: "Well, DUH"

Cannibal
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Wouldn't that be kind of hypocritical of him to maintain his bias and try to call himself F&B?

The answer to your comment is: "Well, DUH"

Yep. It sure would. See Fox news. :)

Norman Einstein
01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Yep. It sure would. See Fox news. :)

See, you are being hypocritical here because you have faith in the news media that has obvious bias to the left and tend to feel Fox is in the wrong on all issues.

It's obvious to most Americans the major news media is so liberal they are all left handed, but to attack Fox for being on the other side is pretty dumb, at the very best.

Direckshun
01-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Trusted to do what, exactly?

This is about the perfect answer to this poll.

patteeu
01-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Well, that settles it. Henceforth, links supporting assertions on ChiefsPlanet will be to a FoxNews account or the assertions will remain in doubt.

KC native
01-27-2010, 08:08 AM

If you read through the cross-tabs Conservatives don't like any network except Fox while Liberals like all of them except Fox.

But 24% of liberals do trust Fox which is higher than any conservative numbers with the rest of the networks.

Yes, I wouldn't put much weight into this poll. It looks more like an attempt to get some press to drive some business. The strong partisan bias and the large 45-60 demographic just confirm what most everyone already knows. Conservatives treat the word of Fox as gospel and liberals are slightly more critical in their news sources.

fan4ever
01-27-2010, 08:15 AM

I think this is it at it's core; FOX is really the only "conservative" network out there, so therefore the higher polling numbers. Plus, I don't think your average viewer thinks Beck, Hannity, and O'Reily are portraying themselves as "unbiased" . . . they are conservatives voicing their conservative opinions. I would think the "fair and balanced" is supposed to refer to the news programming.

patteeu
01-27-2010, 08:25 AM
I think this is it at it's core; FOX is really the only "conservative" network out there, so therefore the higher polling numbers. Plus, I don't think your average viewer thinks Beck, Hannity, and O'Reily are portraying themselves as "unbiased" . . . they are conservatives voicing their conservative opinions. I would think the "fair and balanced" is supposed to refer to the news programming.

Even if FOX is the only conservative news outlet and there were several liberal outlets included in the poll, that shouldn't drive results like this. It's not like liberals had to choose only one outlet to trust and therefore had their vote split. This isn't like an election with one Republican and 5 democrats where the Republican would have a decided advantage because of his uniqueness.

dirk digler
01-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes, I wouldn't put much weight into this poll. It looks more like an attempt to get some press to drive some business. The strong partisan bias and the large 45-60 demographic just confirm what most everyone already knows. Conservatives treat the word of Fox as gospel and liberals are slightly more critical in their news sources.

You do realize the PPP is a democratic polling outlet?

KC native
01-27-2010, 08:30 AM
You do realize the PPP is a democratic polling outlet?

Yes, but look at the sample demographics. Highly slanted to self identified conservatives and moderates. Also, go the cross tables and the bottom and you can see the clear divide with age and party identification and self identification. Also, the questions are kind of open ended and don't really identify what is meant by trust. Donger had a good post on it and was quoted, "Trusted to do what?"

dirk digler
01-27-2010, 08:31 AM

The say the "fair and balanced" is for their hard new coverage so people are supposed to forget what they say the other 20 hours of news coverage.

KC native
01-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Even if FOX is the only conservative news outlet and there were several liberal outlets included in the poll, that shouldn't drive results like this. It's not like liberals had to choose only one outlet to trust and therefore had their vote split. This isn't like an election with one Republican and 5 democrats where the Republican would have a decided advantage because of his uniqueness.

If you get down into the cross tables at the bottom, it gets real clear what drives the results.

Amnorix
01-27-2010, 08:34 AM
This isn't really all that difficult.

Let's say we have four candidates for office. Three are democrats and one is a Republican. Then you take a poll of a cross-section of voters and ask them who they like.

If you're surprised that the Republican would get more votes than the Democrats, then you're not paying close attention.

patteeu
01-27-2010, 09:10 AM
This isn't really all that difficult.

Let's say we have four candidates for office. Three are democrats and one is a Republican. Then you take a poll of a cross-section of voters and ask them who they like.

If you're surprised that the Republican would get more votes than the Democrats, then you're not paying close attention.

That's not how this poll works.

patteeu
01-27-2010, 09:10 AM
If you get down into the cross tables at the bottom, it gets real clear what drives the results.

Lay it on me, big guy.

KC native
01-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Lay it on me, big guy.

Can we say lazy? I already expressed my reservations about it. Go look for yourself.

patteeu
01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Can we say lazy? I already expressed my reservations about it. Go look for yourself.

I read your posts and they didn't provide an explanation for why this poll turned out like it did, other than the fact that more people find FOX trustworthy than any other news network. I know it's hard for you to accept.

fan4ever
01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
The say the "fair and balanced" is for their hard new coverage so people are supposed to forget what they say the other 20 hours of news coverage.

I believe the jig is up with many of the other stations; they often have both; editorial type personalities along with news coverage that has exposed itself as slanted. I remember watching the CNN crew cover the DNC and RNC conventions; they were as giddy as little girls at the DNC and acting like they were at they were at the dentist's office at the RNC...the bias was "transparent".

Amnorix
01-27-2010, 09:49 AM
That's not how this poll works.

I've read the article and it seems to be exactly how the poll worked.

"which is the MOST trusted news network". That's Pick One. There are what, five candidates? Fox, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, right?

One is conservative. It will get the most votes because the otehr four are likely to split the moderates/liberals.

Heck, the distrust number between Fox and CNN was a measly four percent (41 to 37).

dirk digler
01-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I believe the jig is up with many of the other stations; they often have both; editorial type personalities along with news coverage that has exposed itself as slanted. I remember watching the CNN crew cover the DNC and RNC conventions; they were as giddy as little girls at the DNC and acting like they were at they were at the dentist's office at the RNC...the bias was "transparent".

There is a video out there of Fox News staff celebrating the Brown win all with high fives. IMHO Fox News = MSNBC.

patteeu
01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I've read the article and it seems to be exactly how the poll worked.

"which is the MOST trusted news network". That's Pick One. There are what, five candidates? Fox, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, right?

One is conservative. It will get the most votes because the otehr four are likely to split the moderates/liberals.

Heck, the distrust number between Fox and CNN was a measly four percent (41 to 37).

Network:Trusted by
------------------
FOX:49
CNN:39
NBC:35
CBS:32
ABC:31
------------------
Total:186% <====== Notice the total

fan4ever
01-27-2010, 10:26 AM
There is a video out there of Fox News staff celebrating the Brown win all with high fives. IMHO Fox News = MSNBC.

Most journalists are liberal; and I don't care...it's the nature of the beast. However, it is their responsibility to report fairly. I couldn't care less what they do behind the scenes.

dirk digler
01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Most journalists are liberal; and I don't care...it's the nature of the beast. However, it is their responsibility to report fairly. I couldn't care less what they do behind the scenes.

This wasn't behind the scenes it was in full display of the whole world.

mlyonsd
01-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I think one reason Fox came out high in the poll is because people tune into them to see stories that would never show up on other network newscasts.

morphius
01-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Of course almost nobody believes that any of them are, "neutral and unbiased conveyors of news".

Amnorix
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Network:Trusted by
------------------
FOX:49
CNN:39
NBC:35
CBS:32
ABC:31
------------------
Total:186% <====== Notice the total

Ah, seems you're right. The "MOST trusted" moniker in the title threw me. I was thinking it was a "pick one" thing.

DJ's left nut
01-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Nor does Beck.

He will acknowledge that he is a commentator with a conservative bend. Palin is...uh...a former Republican candidate for VP; just exactly what kind of 'admission' do you need from her?

Olbermann fancies himself a modern-day Edward R. Murrow. Ultimately he's Beck without any of the more ambitious projects Beck undertakes (like his immigration, islamic extremism and Communism projects). Beck has some pretty hardcore 'journalistic' endeavors under his belt. His conclusions may fit his rhetoric, but their factual underpinnings deserve a lot of credit.

Beck is only useful when you look at what facts he presents through your own lense. Olbermann, on the other hand, is NEVER useful.

The Mad Crapper
01-30-2010, 07:19 AM
O'Reilly nailed it...

Watch out. America is moving to the right, and it's happening fast. The vote in Massachusetts was an ideological earthquake whose tremors are still being felt all over the country. When a big-government guy like President Obama takes to the lectern to announce he wants to freeze some federal spending, you know hell might be freezing over, as well.

But nowhere is the rejection of liberal doctrine seen more clearly than in the television news industry. Last week, Fox News Channel, the only network that has brought some scrutiny to Obama from the beginning, was the No. 1 rated cable operation in America. If you listen closely, you can hear SpongeBob and Hannah Montana weeping

In addition, the Democratic outfit Public Policy Polling released a stunning scientific survey. It asked Americans which TV news operation they trusted. Hide the kids; here are the results:

Fox News: 49 percent trust, 37 percent don't trust.

ABC News: 31 percent trust, 46 percent don't trust

NBC News: 35 percent trust, 44 percent don't trust

CBS News: 32 percent trust, 46 percent don't trust

CNN: 39 percent trust, 41 percent don't trust

This is a rout. Nearly half the country trusts FNC, and nobody else is even close. Can you imagine the Fox bashers at NBC and The New York Times reading this poll? I'd pay to see the reaction.

Fox News can thank Obama for all of this. From the beginning of his astounding rise, most of the mainstream media loved him. Ask Hillary Clinton. But FNC treated presidential candidates Clinton, Obama and John McCain pretty much the same. We scrutinized them all. In fact, the McCain campaign kept the senator off my program fearing tough questioning.

But it was the scrutiny of Obama and the exposure of people like Jeremiah Wright that brought Fox News bitter criticism from the left. And the folks saw that. They watched as FNC was bashed all over the place. Today, many Americans have lost some confidence in the president, and they remember who was in the tank for him and who was not.

According to a new Gallup Poll, 64 percent of Americans believe the American media are not watching the Obama administration closely enough. Clearly, news consumers are asking the press to get back to the basics: Stop cheerleading and start reporting. Look out for the folks.

Because Fox News Channel gives voice to both the right and the left, while most of the other networks are heavily invested in liberal philosophy, when the country moves into a more conservative mode, it will be reflected in their television choices. It is hard to believe that uber-liberal media outlets that trumpeted government-run health care and civilian trials for terrorists will prosper anytime soon.

No, the winds of political change are buffeting the "progressive" press. They had a brief shining moment last year. But now that's all gone.