PDA

View Full Version : Books Calling Kindle Users

irishjayhawk
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Thoughts?

I'm in the market for an ereader, I think. And I've played with the nook. I haven't seen or touched the Kindle. Overall, the nook was pretty impressive even with bugs and the firmware update fixed a lot of those. Plus, it's built on Android which makes it's potential soar.

On the flip side, I like Amazon as a company. So far, the only thing bugging me about them is DRM on the books - which may not have been their fault since they were, essentially, the first mainstream e-reader. They also seem to have better pricing (but again, stronger DRM, especially lately with TOPAZ).

So, I need a case stated for the Kindle.

WoodDraw
01-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I borrowed my Dads for the last trip I went on to try it out. I've never touched the Nook or any other reader though.

The DRM drives me crazy. I habitually buy books. I'll go to a book store looking for something specific and walk out with bags full of every book other than what I went to get. I find new books and then pass them around with my family and friends. So to spend money on a book with so little real access to it goes against how I think of books.

I'm also a bit of a late adopter. I love new technology, but I still remember when iTunes came out and I thought, "I'm not sure I could ever buy a CD without having the physical CD in my possession." Of course that lasted this side of a week, but I still hate switching to new technologies, especially with shit DRM limiting what you can do simply because you bought a digital instead of a physical copy.

Other complaints, I hate not having page numbers. Just felt weird to me. Most people don't give a shit, but that drove me crazy.

Other than those complaints, I enjoyed it. I think the Kindle has done a great job of moving the ebook market from a joke to a competitive market. Everything being equal, I still enjoy having the actual book in my hands. I bet I'm probably a generation or two in the ebook market away from making the plunge in. I loved it for traveling, being able to download books on the go and get rid of the weight and weird bulkiness of lugging around a bunch of books. But ebook readers still aren't quite there for me, so I'm not willing to make a big investment when I know one will soon come out that I'll love.

That's not really helpful to what you asked. Comparing the two, I'd go with the Nook probably. They are further along right now and have some cool features (free public domain books? awesome.) But, we'll start seeing quick and constant innovation here. If you want one, I'd be tempted to buy one of the older Kindle models off Ebay and wait until something impressive comes out.

underEJ
01-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a Kindle, and I love it (except for the DRM issues.) I would probably love the nook too, or the sony reader or whatever else has e ink. THere is no substitute on an iphone or laptop. they don't read the same.

I think people get a little hung up on features, when the big question is content. Do you want to use it for textbooks? Do you want free public domain books? (by the way, about half the books I have downloaded from amazon were under five dollars, and some were free.) are there specific titles you want available on one system only? I am an early adopter so I didn't choose. It was the only game in town at the time, but I have seen nothing to make me regret not waiting for another device.

I am a pretty avid reader, and the fact that I have almost a hundred books in my purse all the time for wherever I may need to kill a few minutes has left me reading about twice as much as I did before having it. Plus my writer friends and I can share work with each other by emailing to each other's kindles.

it's my favorite new tech of the last 10 years or so. I forget my blackberry all the time, but I am never without my Kindle.

noa
01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
I mooch off my girlfriend's Kindle quite a bit. I think it's great. I haven't used another e-reader, so my frame of reference is limited. But it's very convenient, there's a ton of content to get for it, and it's not at all hard on your eyes. One of my favorite features is the ability to move the cursor to a word and you get the definition. If you want to highlight that because it's a word you want to remember, you can do that and the Kindle will save all your highlights. Obviously, you could highlight entire passages if you want, but I like it more for expanding my vocabulary.
Other than that, I don't have a whole lot to say. My use of it is pretty much limited to reading and highlighting, so I'm not sure about any other features or how it would stack up against another e-reader. All I know is that I like it a lot.

irishjayhawk
01-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Sounds like the DRM is the only real gripe with Kindle.

Have people pirated books they already bought in book form? I'm wondering why anyone should rebuy a book they already have purchased.

Also, does Amazon offer any kind of warranty for those who have purchased. I mean I can't see it in person anywhere...

Mr. Laz
01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
so what is this DRM issue you are talking about?

can you transfer any ebook over to the kindle or does it need some special DRM shit?

irishjayhawk
01-27-2010, 08:44 PM
so what is this DRM issue you are talking about?

can you transfer any ebook over to the kindle or does it need some special DRM shit?

You can't transfer out of the kindle. If I was to buy a Kindle and then purchase a ton of books from Amazon and then went with a nook after that, I couldn't bring along all my books.

And, no, the kindle doesn't support ALL formats either. I believe they just added support for epub, but don't quote me on it.

DaFace
01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
My MIL has one and seems to like it. Very light, and the screen looks great. However, I haven't personally worked with it for more than a few seconds, so I'm probably not really much help.

pikesome
01-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Sounds like the DRM is the only real gripe with Kindle.

Have people pirated books they already bought in book form? I'm wondering why anyone should rebuy a book they already have purchased.

Also, does Amazon offer any kind of warranty for those who have purchased. I mean I can't see it in person anywhere...

If you're talking about the Kindle and not the newer DX, the main reason I did not buy one is the limited number of file formats. No PDF was/is a deal breaker for me even though PDF isn't the best format for books on a reader like this. Amazon's changed/improved this but it took the Nook coming out to get this. And, in my eyes, the Nook > the Kindle.

Toadkiller
01-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Get a sony ereader and then get an account on gigapedia.com Download your books in any format and then transfer them onto the sony with calibre instead of using the sony software.

irishjayhawk
01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
If you're talking about the Kindle and not the newer DX, the main reason I did not buy one is the limited number of file formats. No PDF was/is a deal breaker for me even though PDF isn't the best format for books on a reader like this. Amazon's changed/improved this but it took the Nook coming out to get this. And, in my eyes, the Nook > the Kindle.

That's kinda where I'm at too.

Get a sony ereader and then get an account on gigapedia.com Download your books in any format and then transfer them onto the sony with calibre instead of using the sony software.

I think I could do that regardless of which one I got. Calibre, which I've already looked into, converts anything (except Amazon's new TOPAZ format, again Amazon DRM = fail, which is weird because their mp3 store was a hit precisely because it was NO DRM.) to epub. And epub plays on nook, which is the other format I'm considering.

Great Expectations
01-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Is their a site that has free fiction books that aren't over 100 years old?

WoodDraw
01-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Is their a site that has free fiction books that aren't over 100 years old?

The only free books are the ones in public domain. That's why the tend to be old.

Toadkiller
01-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Or you can get an account on gigapedia.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2010, 10:40 AM
check this page out ... reviews of several ereaders

http://www.pcworld.com/products/ereaders.html

irishjayhawk
01-30-2010, 10:41 AM
check this page out ... reviews of several ereaders

http://www.pcworld.com/products/ereaders.html

Good article in an otherwise rubbish publication. They've blown their credibility many times over.