PDA

View Full Version : Books The Art of War by Sun Tzu

SDChiefs
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I searched but couldn't find a thread about this. Sorry if repost.

I have wanted to read this book for a long time now but having gotten around to it. I have seen a few specials on the History Channel and such and I have really enjoyed them.

Finally broke down and bought it today. Gonna start reading it tonight. Im stoked. Just curious as to what others who have read it think, and if there is anything I should pay extra attention for.

Thanks.

HC_Chief
01-29-2010, 04:37 PM
It is a mindset, a philosophy, applicable to any situation. It boils down to due dilligence: do your homework, know your role, know your opposition (in whatever form it may be), and execute your plans in the manner you see fit. Dictate the framework of the situation, do not allow events to unfold outside of your plans.

Overall I liked the book but the whole "Sun Tzu said" shtick got old real fast.

kcchiefsus
01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I bought the book a while back but still haven't read it. Just don't read as much nowadays as I used to.

Over-Head
01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm waiting for the DVD :D

Mastashake
01-31-2010, 07:48 PM
48 Laws of power is good too. Its not a classic or anything, but its interesting.

Tribal Warfare
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
The Book of Five Rings is good too

Mosbonian
01-31-2010, 08:23 PM
I searched but couldn't find a thread about this. Sorry if repost.

I have wanted to read this book for a long time now but having gotten around to it. I have seen a few specials on the History Channel and such and I have really enjoyed them.

Finally broke down and bought it today. Gonna start reading it tonight. Im stoked. Just curious as to what others who have read it think, and if there is anything I should pay extra attention for.

Thanks.

A former boss of mine several years back gave me the book to read...too many people made it their "bible" for corporate survival.

In reality, it was just a very good strategy book that has principles that can be applied to everyday life.

mmaddog

Fishpicker
02-01-2010, 06:24 AM
The Book of Five Rings is good too

Musashi was a genius. I dont think 5 Rings has as much to be gleaned for business philosophy. It is still interesting for the insights into fencing.

Coyote
02-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Cliff notes: “ Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant of both your enemy and of yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril.”
Though my personal favorite is the lesson that: “This King is only fond of words and cannot carry them into deeds.”
http://kslye.blogspot.com/2007/10/story-about-sun-tzu-and-kings.html

If you're really bored read Clausewitz next, I teach a Theory and nature of war class amongst other classes to Marine officers and the USMC has combined elements of both with our American model into a warfighting philiosophy found here:
http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/service_pubs/mcdp1.pdf

tyton75
02-01-2010, 06:50 AM
It really makes you think and there are some really good points of view, but I found that overall, its a hard read