PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV is it okay...

Discuss Thrower
01-28-2010, 06:51 PM
... to narc on someone you know for pirating at least a movie per day, if you live with them? The dude's a douche who was thrown me (and other friends) under the bus to try and get his dick wet so I think it's called for.

Discus.

Bane
01-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Hmmm.Kinda don't like his player hating tactics,but I guess if he has to lie and cheat his way into a girls pants,he's the loser of the bunch anyway.I'm not sure I'd rat him out,sounds like it may be more trouble than its worth.JMO

Buck
01-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Who's name is on the internet bill?

Discuss Thrower
01-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Who's name is on the internet bill?

The college is paying the bill. I live on campus, this dude is a suitemate of mine.

Full disclosure, I used to pirate music until 2006 when I started buying what I wanted from iTunes. So for me to say anything would be hypocritical on some level.

HOWEVER, I would never pirate an entire ****ing movie because of the relative ease (and cheap, imho) methods of renting through Netflix. College kids don't give a shit about that sort of thing and pirate because they're broke. I am privileged enough to not be broke. So is this kid. He makes a point to flaunt what he's got financially in most other situations, yet he can't break down and pay $8/month for the minimum level of netflix service. And, as someone who, while not an established author due to talent issues, identifies with how some people make their living through intellectual property rights alone, I take offense to such wanton pirating personally.

AND, the cock-blocking is just a portion of the things that piss me off about the guy. He's a shifty son-of-a-bitch.

Fish
01-28-2010, 08:14 PM
The college is paying the bill. I live on campus, this dude is a suitemate of mine.

Full disclosure, I used to pirate music until 2006 when I started buying what I wanted from iTunes. So for me to say anything would be hypocritical on some level.

Then the rest is irrelevant....

Kick his ass out, or ask for a different roommate or something. But don't let your jealousy screw up this guys life to the tune of thousands of dollars when you've done the same shit yourself. Just because you're in a better place doesn't mean you can now play Mr. Immoral and ruin someone else for doing the same thing you've done.

pr_capone
01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Either beat his ass, call him out, or STFU.

Guy code forbids you from ratting him out to the Man unless he is putting someone in danger.

Discuss Thrower
01-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Then the rest is irrelevant....

Kick his ass out, or ask for a different roommate or something. But don't let your jealousy screw up this guys life to the tune of thousands of dollars when you've done the same shit yourself. Just because you're in a better place doesn't mean you can now play Mr. Immoral and ruin someone else for doing the same thing you've done.

The intent wouldn't be to hurt him in the pocket book, it would be for the school to "officially" tell him to stop warezing.

blaise
01-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Dude, you can't rat him out. You just can't do it.

Discuss Thrower
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
How about taking a magnet to his external HD?

jjjayb
01-28-2010, 10:04 PM
He doesn't need to cock-block you. You're a douche for even thinking about ratting him out. No wonder the chicks aren't going for you.

Discuss Thrower
01-28-2010, 10:20 PM
He doesn't need to cock-block you. You're a douche for even thinking about ratting him out. No wonder the chicks aren't going for you.

Meh, my thoughts on dealing with a douchebag roommate have little effect on that. Being of less than intimidating stature negates my ability to confront the dude head on, and even if I did call him out / whatever, the dude has issues to the point where he'd probably do something ridiculous which wouldn't be good either.

So, I instead think about how nice it would be to knock him down a peg by doing some back-stabbing stuff such as the aforementioned. He's someone I used to trust and be loyal to. Loyalty is something I take seriously. But what the dude has done to me and other people has negated all that. That's why I resort to thinking of such things, if that makes any sense to you.

Buck
01-28-2010, 10:20 PM
If you used to then it wouldn't be right. You changed, so can he.

Mastashake
01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't recommend it for two reasons.

1) Giving in to your anger and frustration is only going to make you more angry and frustrated with him because:

2) He will try and get back at you. If you try and turn him in for something like that, he will at no stop try and do something even worse back. It will start a war, which will only escalate to horrible proportions.

Discuss Thrower
01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't recommend it for two reasons.

1) Giving in to your anger and frustration is only going to make you more angry and frustrated with him because:

2) He will try and get back at you. If you try and turn him in for something like that, he will at no stop try and do something even worse back. It will start a war, which will only escalate to horrible proportions.

Yup, hence why I just voice such frustrations on message boards instead of actually doing anything. That and things take effort.

blaise
01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Write, "(dude's name) is a dick sucking piece of shite" on the bathroom wall. It might make you feel slightly better.

demonhero
01-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Don't rat the kid out, man.

Download some gay p0rn on the hard drive or do something nasty to his food till you feel satisfied.

patteeu
01-28-2010, 11:59 PM
No, it's not OK. It would be a really shitty thing to do, IMO.

What do you mean, he throws you under the bus? Does he just stand you up when he gets a chance with a girl or does he lie about you to steal your girl (or something else completely different)? I'm sure there's a more appropriate way to either get back at him or get him out of your sphere of awareness so you don't have to deal with him.

Discuss Thrower
01-29-2010, 01:39 AM
No, it's not OK. It would be a really shitty thing to do, IMO.

What do you mean, he throws you under the bus? Does he just stand you up when he gets a chance with a girl or does he lie about you to steal your girl (or something else completely different)? I'm sure there's a more appropriate way to either get back at him or get him out of your sphere of awareness so you don't have to deal with him.

Insinuates that I'm a sketchy/creepy dude to someone I'd never met, and he continually brings up a misadventure I had with a girl 2 years ago when her friends are around which makes me look like a jackass.

As of now I just keep my contact with him to a minimum, which isn't too hard in spite of the fact we live in a small residence.

blazzin311
01-29-2010, 04:16 AM
Meh, my thoughts on dealing with a douchebag roommate have little effect on that. Being of less than intimidating stature negates my ability to confront the dude head on, and even if I did call him out / whatever, the dude has issues to the point where he'd probably do something ridiculous which wouldn't be good either.

So, I instead think about how nice it would be to knock him down a peg by doing some back-stabbing stuff such as the aforementioned. He's someone I used to trust and be loyal to. Loyalty is something I take seriously. But what the dude has done to me and other people has negated all that. That's why I resort to thinking of such things, if that makes any sense to you.

Well for one if you do this back stabbing thing and rat him out it just proves your a no good low life just like him. Nobody likes a rat. No one has any respect for rats at all. They're generally not accepted well in todays society. Matter of fact it's frowned upon. Also I don't think it's your place at all to tell him whether or not to download movies. If he wants to let him. It's his ass he's risking getting caught. If him doing that doesn't affect you then mind your own business plain and simple.

Fish
01-29-2010, 09:47 AM

So you're scared of him and jealous of him? And because of that, you want to backstab him?

You both sound like a couple fucking douchebags. I can't see that anything this guy has done warrants you ratting him out or destroying his property. You're butthurt and want dirty payback. Be a man and either punch him in the nose or forget about it.

Pestilence
01-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Either confront him head on about it....or shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.

Royal Fanatic
01-29-2010, 10:03 AM
So you're scared of him and jealous of him? And because of that, you want to backstab him?

You both sound like a couple fucking douchebags. I can't see that anything this guy has done warrants you ratting him out or destroying his property. You're butthurt and want dirty payback. Be a man and either punch him in the nose or forget about it.
Exactly. Don't be a fucking pussy by "telling on him" because you don't like him.

If you have issues with him, you either confront him about them, you shut the fuck up and put up with it, or you shut the fuck up and move out yourself. To do anything else is petty and childish.

Discuss Thrower
01-29-2010, 10:34 AM

If I were to do anything against the guy solely because of how he's treated me, you're right. I'd just as soon move out (though I can't for the next few months) rather than narc his ass out (considering they'd figure out that the majority of people are doing it too) then forget about it. The thing that actually makes me thinks of such ideas as a good idea (which it's not) is how he treats other people and other questionable (beyond piracy) things he does. If you or anyone else would like to know what things I have issue with which don't affect me, then I'll oblige with a PM. Or you can nutcheck me, whichever feels right.

kaplin42
01-29-2010, 10:37 AM
It's Okay....

Fish
01-29-2010, 10:50 AM
If I were to do anything against the guy solely because of how he's treated me, you're right. I'd just as soon move out (though I can't for the next few months) rather than narc his ass out (considering they'd figure out that the majority of people are doing it too) then forget about it. The thing that actually makes me thinks of such ideas as a good idea (which it's not) is how he treats other people and other questionable (beyond piracy) things he does. If you or anyone else would like to know what things I have issue with which don't affect me, then I'll oblige with a PM. Or you can nutcheck me, whichever feels right.

That's an excuse. And a poor one. You're disguising your detest for him as some sort of morality punishment for the good of all. Except you have no right to do so. It's not your place. Either talk to him about it or STFU.

KCtotheSB
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
No, it's not okay. That's an extremely bitch-like way to get back at someone.

Consistent1
01-29-2010, 11:27 AM
Opps....I clicked into the girl drama section...cya....

Mr. Laz
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Either beat his ass, call him out, or STFU.

Guy code forbids you from ratting him out to the Man unless he is putting someone in danger.
basically

Pants
01-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Snitching is NEVER fucking okay... what is wrong with you?

Discuss Thrower
01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
That's an excuse. And a poor one. You're disguising your detest for him as some sort of morality punishment for the good of all. Except you have no right to do so. It's not your place. Either talk to him about it or STFU.

Hence while I won't do anything until he does something that is worse than what he's already done, or until he does something that puts us at risk.

big nasty kcnut
01-29-2010, 02:48 PM
if he a duche kick his ass but you not stealing music cause there a ruling that as long as you don't sell the video you record you can record any movie and such you can download music as long as you don't sell them.