PDA

View Full Version : General Politics One big Union. All Dem.

HonestChieffan
01-29-2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000061

American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees
The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) is made up of 3,500 local unions representing 1.4 million members who work in public service and health care. In Washington, AFSCME works on everything from improving unemployment benefits to strengthening job security. Among its biggest priorities are raising the minimum wage, battling efforts to privatize public sector jobs and fighting efforts to substitute vacation time for overtime pay for millions of workers. AFSCME strongly supported Democratic nominee John Kerry in the 2004 presidential election, and has actively opposed several of President Bush's second-term initiatives, especially partial privatization of Social Security

99% of all money goes to Dems. No wonder Obama wants more government workers.

orange
01-29-2010, 04:49 PM
"99% of all money goes to Dems." - the party that supports Unions.

By extrapolation, only 1% of all money goes to Reps. - the party that wants to do away with Unions.

Thanks for posting this. I never would have guessed that 99% of all Union members have average or above intelligence.

HonestChieffan
01-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Well, we do know Union Leadership spends the money 99% vs 1%. But that has no bearing on what Union Members desire.

Thats what makes Unions so fun.

Sorta like unthinking appologists for this fuckstick of a President we have. Fall back in line now.

orange
01-29-2010, 07:08 PM
One big Union. All Dem.

Well, we do know Union Leadership spends the money 99% vs 1%. But that has no bearing on what Union Members desire.

Arguing with yourself, now? ROFL

I guess that's one way to make sure you finally win one.

The Mad Crapper
01-29-2010, 07:19 PM

By extrapolation, only 1% of all money goes to Reps. - the party that wants to do away with Unions.

Thanks for posting this. I never would have guessed that 99% of all Union members have average or above intelligence.

ROFL

You've obviously never spent time in a NYC public school---

Talking to the "teachers" and administration.

Saul Good
01-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Do you think that 99% of Union members are Democrats, or do you think that these unions act a a conduit through which money flows to Democrats?

orange
01-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Do you think that 99% of Union members are Democrats, or do you think that these unions act a a conduit through which money flows to Democrats?

Look at the page and tell me.

Take 2008 for example. $138,450 came from individuals. $31,510 went to Republicans. If ALL the money to Republicans came from individuals, that still leaves $106,960 from individuals to Democrats. That's 3.5:1. Maybe not 99% but still a whopping majority. I'd say the Union leaders are quite representative of their constituents donating to Democrats.

Or look at 2006, where non-individuals (PACs, etc.) clearly gave at least $4600 to Republicans.

As for the the "all Dems" - that was HonestChieffan's ridiculous claim, not mine. I thought my response was obviously tongue-in-cheek. Maybe not so obvious around here.

Saul Good
01-29-2010, 08:14 PM
7:2 does not equal 99:1. I count yours as a vote for conduit.

HolyHandgernade
01-29-2010, 08:17 PM

Thats what makes Unions so fun.

Sorta like unthinking appologists for this ****stick of a President we have. Fall back in line now.

Are you a union member? How in the hell would you know what union members want? The fact is, union members used to be politically affiliated muck like the general population until the Rebs became so openly anti-union. Why would you give money to someone you know opposes your general well being? Unions will actually support any candidate that supports them. If a union feels a Republican candidate will keep their interests in mind they will support them. Believe it or not, union members vote for their self interest, and while some union members might have varying political views on other topics, they usually find agreement on the majority of them.

-HH

orange
01-29-2010, 08:36 PM
7:2 does not equal 99:1. I count yours as a vote for conduit.

...quite representative conduit...

If a politician, for example, wins election 78%-22%, he does NOT have to vote with the opposition party 22% of the time.