PDA

View Full Version : Local To the right, and to the left

bango
01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Does anyone else think that those that vote Republican are to the right of those that they vote for, and that it is the same on the Democrat Side also? It seems to me that since they allow fear of the other to control them that they are not even represented properly. What do you think?

patteeu
01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
I think people who talk like you do are afraid to pick a side or just don't know enough about it to care.

In other words, I think it is both naive and offensive for you to attribute the ideological beliefs of either the left or the right to fear.

patteeu
01-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Does anyone else think that those that vote Republican are to the right of those that they vote for, and that it is the same on the Democrat Side also?

Generally speaking, there are people who vote Republican who are both to the left and right of the candidates they vote for and likewise for democrats. So, my straight answer to this question is "no".

Examples:

I voted for McCain. I'm to the right of McCain.
Joe Lieberman presumably voted for McCain. Joe Lieberman is to the left of McCain.

Mr. Kotter, cfl, and Colin Powell voted for Obama. The three of them are all to the right of Obama.
I'm not sure there is anyone to the left of Obama, but Reaper presumably voted for him and doesn't think Obama is living up to the leftist hope he had for him.

Jenson71
01-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Does anyone else think that those that vote Republican are to the right of those that they vote for, and that it is the same on the Democrat Side also? It seems to me that since they allow fear of the other to control them that they are not even represented properly. What do you think?

It's probably more likely that the two parties find themselves carefully balancing the needs of both ends of the spectrum of their party, thereby arriving at some moderate place that the majority of Americans (and their party voters) can accept.

bango
01-29-2010, 06:10 PM
I think people who talk like you do are afraid to pick a side or just don't know enough about it to care.

In other words, I think it is both naive and offensive for you to attribute the ideological beliefs of either the left or the right to fear.

I am not afraid to pick a side. I just became tired of voting because it seemed like no matter who wins everyone else loses. Voting will not end the stauts quo. Only a revolution would do that. Maybe you are not like those that are motivated by fear, but I hear so many that just hate the other side for some reason then tend to use that to politicize themselves.

The Mad Crapper
01-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Only a revolution would do that.

Serious question and I'm not looking to be contentious---

When was the last time you missed a meal? Slept out in the cold?

patteeu
01-29-2010, 06:20 PM
I am not afraid to pick a side. I just became tired of voting because it seemed like no matter who wins everyone else loses. Voting will not end the stauts quo. Only a revolution would do that. Maybe you are not like those that are motivated by fear, but I hear so many that just hate the other side for some reason then tend to use that to politicize themselves.

Do you see no difference between libertarianism on one side and statism on the other? Or capitalism on one side and communism on the other? Can you be equally happy with a country that has a strict code of morality laws or one that lets people do whatever floats their boats?

The Mad Crapper
01-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I just wish the federal government did what the Constitution told it to do--- defend the borders and provide for the general defense.

Does that make me an extremist?

bango
01-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Do you see no difference between libertarianism on one side and statism on the other? Or capitalism on one side and communism on the other? Can you be equally happy with a country that has a strict code of morality laws or one that lets people do whatever floats their boats?

Can you actually point out any major things that define any POTUS from Reagan to now that makes them not just like the others?

patteeu
01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Can you actually point out any major things that define any POTUS from Reagan to now that makes them not just like the others?

Reagan cut top marginal tax rates by 60%.

Why do you ask? Surely you don't think they're all the same.

bango
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Reagan cut top marginal tax rates by 60%.

Why do you ask? Surely you don't think they're all the same.

I fail to see that many things that can actually separate them all.

patteeu
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I fail to see that many things that can actually separate them all.

Every one of them, except Obama has had to compromise with the opposition party to get anything done. That tends to moderate the degree to which they can move the country in the direction they want to take it.