PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Fact or Fiction, this is just another email, but if true . . .

Norman Einstein
01-29-2010, 07:02 PM
To whom the letter was sent, if it was send is not really important. The story line, even if totally untrue as an actual event, is most likely seen around the country in ER's on a daily basis.

Dear Sirs:

"During my last night's shift in the ER, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient with an expensive shiny gold tooth, multiple elaborate expensive tattoos, a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and a new cellular telephone equipped with her favorite R&B tune for a ringtone.. Glancing over the chart, one could not help noticing her payer status: Medicaid. She smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and, somehow, still has money to buy beer.

And our Congress expects me to pay for this woman's health care? Our nation's health care crisis is not a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. It is a crisis of culture �� a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. A culture that thinks "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Life is really not that hard. Most of us reap what we sow. Don't you agree?

STARNER JONES, MD
Jackson , MS

I am a seventh generation Mississippian and wanted to come back here after going somewhere else for college and medical school.. My extracurricular interests are golf, hunting, fishing and college football.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress. -- John Adams

petegz28
01-29-2010, 09:18 PM
When I worked in the liquor store I would see shit like this all the time. People had the newest shoes, nice clothes, gold teeth, etc., etc., and would offer to sell me their foodstamps for .50 on the $.

Norman Einstein
01-29-2010, 09:34 PM
When I worked in the liquor store I would see shit like this all the time. People had the newest shoes, nice clothes, gold teeth, etc., etc., and would offer to sell me their foodstamps for .50 on the $.

There are stories out there that are similar in nature. I think someone should put a hidden camera in liquor stores, ER's and other locations that prove what is happening. I doubt anyone would believe it even if they saw it with their own eyes.

Pitt Gorilla
01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
A gold crown was actually cheaper than a porcelain in my case.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Pure propaganda, the health care bill in question only orders you to buy health insurance and bails out the bankrupt insurance companies. Let em' fail!

2bikemike
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
While watching the news the other night a gentleman from a local shelter came on talking about how they are taking care of all these homeless folks. The Cameraman cut to show several people laying on cots. And lo and behold there was a guy laying there texting on his blackberry.

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Pure propaganda, the health care bill in question only orders you to buy health insurance and bails out the bankrupt insurance companies. Let em' fail!

Which page was that on? There are things in the bill that indicate your comment about propaganda is only true if you believe the rest of your comment. The HC Bill is bad for most Americans. It has no conditions to protect the taxpayer, it allows people to get insurance that are basically indigent but it does not penalize those that can get insurance but choose not to get it.

The bill gives deadbeats a free ride. IMO that is bad for America.

We need reform but there has to be qualifications that are not covered by the POS bill the democrats put on the table.

NewChief
01-30-2010, 07:00 AM
While watching the news the other night a gentleman from a local shelter came on talking about how they are taking care of all these homeless folks. The Cameraman cut to show several people laying on cots. And lo and behold there was a guy laying there texting on his blackberry.

While I get the irony, I would think that a cell phone would be one of the essentials for a homeless person who is trying to better their situation (find employment).

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 07:46 AM
While I get the irony, I would think that a cell phone would be one of the essentials for a homeless person who is trying to better their situation (find employment).

Big difference between cell phone and blackberry, the monthly dollars is also different with the selected plan.

NewChief
01-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Big difference between cell phone and blackberry.

The guy might have been locked into his contract with a blackberry prior to losing his job and going homeless? He also might be a complete douchebag who is wasting his money. The fact is, we don't know. But it's easy to make assumptions.

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 07:53 AM
The guy might have been locked into his contract with a blackberry prior to losing his job and going homeless? He also might be a complete douchebag who is wasting his money. The fact is, we don't know. But it's easy to make assumptions.

Do you really believe what you wrote? The main story line is that the many of the people that are on public assistance are living better than those of us that work for a living and don't depend on tax dollars to provide their lifestyle.

talastan
01-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Do you really believe what you wrote? The main story line is that the many of the people that are on public assistance are living better than those of us that work for a living and don't depend on tax dollars to provide their lifestyle.

Dammit Obama promised me my Blackberry!! :cuss: :D

NewChief
01-30-2010, 08:27 AM

I think that's a load of horseshit. Someone staying in a homeless shelter is not living "better" than you. Do you really believe that? Good grief. That's my favorite conservative theme: all these people on welfare living the high life! Damn I wish I was on welfare!

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 09:26 AM
I think that's a load of horseshit. Someone staying in a homeless shelter is not living "better" than you. Do you really believe that? Good grief. That's my favorite conservative theme: all these people on welfare living the high life! Damn I wish I was on welfare!

Maybe that was a little over the top, but they are living better than quite a few of the people I know.

Come to think of it, I wish you were on welfare too! :)

The point is that a good percentage of the people on welfare are not using the funds in an appropriate manner and they are taxes that many of us are paying into the system. There are no checks and balances with welfare.

In my opinion Obama wants the U.S. to be a welfare state, trouble is that if the gov is providing all of the necessities whose going to fund them?

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Dammit Obama promised me my Blackberry!! :cuss: :D Naw, I think he just promised 'straw'berries

Reaper16
01-30-2010, 09:38 AM
It is crazy, that conservative refrain. Balls-out crazy. And I'm not sure from what it is stemming from. Misdirected anger, most likely.

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 10:03 AM
It is crazy, that conservative refrain. Balls-out crazy. And I'm not sure from what it is stemming from. Misdirected anger, most likely.

You don't see a problem with people on welfare squandeering the money you pay in to taxes? Do you not get upset that able bodied people are getting welfare because they are lazy? Do you even care? You seem overly willing to accept whatever the master obot shoves down your throat.

Personally I'm not angry, I'm ashamed of the path this country is taking.

Wyndex
01-30-2010, 10:08 AM
newsflash we are already paying for her health insurance

Uncle_Ted
01-30-2010, 10:20 AM
You don't see a problem with people on welfare squandeering the money you pay in to taxes? Do you not get upset that able bodied people are getting welfare because they are lazy? Do you even care? You seem overly willing to accept whatever the master obot shoves down your throat.

No what I see as crazy is the refrain that someone has to live a perfect life according to your standards in order to be "worthy" of access to a basic needs or a bit of assistance to get back on their feet.

Reaper16
01-30-2010, 10:34 AM

I'm well-aware of welfare abuse and of course I don't like it. I'm also aware that the levels of welfare abuse aren't as high as many conservatives think that it is.

My position on welfare is tricky. I think that it is both too much and too little. Welfare is this monthly bribe; we give our poor and overlooked some money so that they will shut up for another month. It is a humiliating and depreciating exchange. Any move given out and the negativity of it all will only become more entrenched. But I don't think our nation would be able to abide giving less; welfare does help a lot of people and the suffering caused by eliminating welfare would be very difficult to let happen.

Ultimately I'd love to see more education reform so that we can help upcoming generations become less and less reliant upon welfare.

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 10:37 AM
No what I see as crazy is the refrain that someone has to live a perfect life according to your standards in order to be "worthy" of access to a basic needs or a bit of assistance to get back on their feet.

You don't understand. Those in need should be helped, it's not the ones in need I'm talking about. There is a large percentage of people on welfare and getting aid that have the means to do so themselves. If you feel living in a welfare state is the best thing around then that's your perogative. I personally feel there should be a method of validating the need before giving out a monthly check to an able bodied person.

Those on welfare that can work but are just too lazy to do so should have to work 8 hours a day for their welfare check. It could be city work, county work, state work, or even federal projects. I'd bet the able bodied would try to get a job if they were going to have to work 8 hours a day for their $1800 a month.

Norman Einstein
01-30-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm well-aware of welfare abuse and of course I don't like it. I'm also aware that the levels of welfare abuse aren't as high as many conservatives think that it is.

My position on welfare is tricky. I think that it is both too much and too little. Welfare is this monthly bribe; we give our poor and overlooked some money so that they will shut up for another month. It is a humiliating and depreciating exchange. Any move given out and the negativity of it all will only become more entrenched. But I don't think our nation would be able to abide giving less; welfare does help a lot of people and the suffering caused by eliminating welfare would be very difficult to let happen.

Ultimately I'd love to see more education reform so that we can help upcoming generations become less and less reliant upon welfare.

I think it has less to do with education than it does growing up in a home where the parents feel the government owes them the welfare.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, it's not that much different than my opinion. We shouldn't eliminate welfare, but as I've said before there has to be a system to validate the need rather than to just give it out.

Reaper16
01-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I think it has less to do with education than it does growing up in a home where the parents feel the government owes them the welfare.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, it's not that much different than my opinion. We shouldn't eliminate welfare, but as I've said before there has to be a system to validate the need rather than to just give it out.
So very, very much has to do with parenting. Its enourmously hard to break that cycle, any cycle. Cycles of bad parenting, of poverty, of addiction, etc.

WilliamTheIrish
01-31-2010, 06:47 PM
This is the stupidest FWD email you've sent to date, Mot. Congrats.

Norman Einstein
01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
This is the stupidest FWD email you've sent to date, Mot. Congrats.

So it's an email, but thanks for the thoughts anyways asshole.