PDA

View Full Version : Computers XP Network; Win 7 Laptop

Stewie
01-31-2010, 01:25 PM
I bought a new laptop that came with Win 7. It's connected to my wireless home network running XP, no problem, except my laptop won't load my printer driver when I'm going through the wireless network. I can share files from my XP computers, etc., with my W7 laptop, but I can't print. I hooked the laptop directly to the printer and it loaded the printer no problem. Still it tries to load the driver when I'm remote and it doesn't work. I don't get it. What am I missing here?

DaFace
01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Are you saying you downloaded and installed a Win7 driver for it, or are you just trying to connect and have it automatically load the driver from the XP machine?

If it's the latter, that probably won't work since the XP machine probably only has the XP driver on it. You'll need to actually get a Win7 (or at least Vista) driver for it.

TrebMaxx
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
I just set up a Win 7 pc with my network printer which is working fine wireless. Don't know if it will help but here is what I did. On the Win 7 laptop I went to control panel, View devices and printers, add a printer, selected "add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer". Let it search the network for the printer, once found select it. Then use the windows update option to load the driver. Hope this helps.

Stewie
01-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Are you saying you downloaded and installed a Win7 driver for it, or are you just trying to connect and have it automatically load the driver from the XP machine?

If it's the latter, that probably won't work since the XP machine probably only has the XP driver on it. You'll need to actually get a Win7 (or at least Vista) driver for it.

Hmm... So, I need the XP driver on my laptop, or the Win7 driver on my desktop?

The odd thing is that my laptop sees the printer but the driver won't load properly.

Stewie
01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
I just set up a Win 7 pc with my network printer which is working fine wireless. Don't know if it will help but here is what I did. On the Win 7 laptop I went to control panel, View devices and printers, add a printer, selected "add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer". Let it search the network for the printer, once found select it. Then use the windows update option to load the driver. Hope this helps.

I get this far. It sees my printer but pukes when it tries to load the driver. My Epson printer is Win7 compatible which means the driver is there, it just won't load.

TrebMaxx
01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
You just need the proper driver for win 7 on your laptop.

Stewie
01-31-2010, 01:36 PM
You just need the proper driver for win 7 on your laptop.

XP driver? The Win7 driver is what it tries to load.

TrebMaxx
01-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I get this far. It sees my printer but pukes when it tries to load the driver. My Epson printer is Win7 compatible which means the driver is there, it just won't load.

Go to the Epson site and see if you can download a driver install for Win 7. In my case my printer a Brother MFC 5440CN, at the Brother support site said to just use the Windows update which worked for me. Maybe Epson will have a driver install that you can use.

DaFace
01-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Hmm... So, I need the XP driver on my laptop, or the Win7 driver on my desktop?

The odd thing is that my laptop sees the printer but the driver won't load properly.

You have two choices. You can either manually load a secondary driver on your XP machine for Win7 (right-click printer, properties, sharing, additional drivers), or you can install the Win7 driver on your Win7 machine.

TrebMaxx
01-31-2010, 01:40 PM
XP driver? The Win7 driver is what it tries to load.

I would say a windows 7 driver on the laptop. Or if not available, from what I have read you can probably use a Vista driver for Win7 since there isn't much difference between the OS's.

Stewie
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'll try to see if I can get this to work.

TrebMaxx
01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
What is your model of Epson? I can take a look for solutions for you.

Stewie
01-31-2010, 02:09 PM
I got it to work! I tried a couple of ideas here, but they didn't work. I found a website that had my exact issue. It has to be installed as a local printer. Go figure! Here's what it took to get it to work:

<hr style="color: rgb(220, 227, 233); background-color: rgb(220, 227, 233);" size="1"> <!-- google_ad_section_start --> These instructions are for the Printer attached to the XP machine (but works in reverse as well).

("Stand alone" Network printers can be done slightly similarly BTW).

assume the computers are call XPMACHINE and W7MACHINE.

1) Ensure Printer on XP machine is shared - assume it's called SHAREDPRINTER.

2) On the Network Browsing on your Windows 7 machine ensure you can "See" the Printer share.

Now on the Windows 7 machine do the following (doesn't matter if it's X-86 or x-64).

3) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

4) Create NEW port==>Local port

5) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER (file:///)

6) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

Simple

(For a "Network stand alone printer") at 4) chose TCPIP port
and at 5) enter the IP address.

If the printer is on the Windows 7 machine and you want to print on the XP machine then do the same instructions on the XP machine --
port name in this case will be \\W7MACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER (file:///)

Stewie
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks DaFace and TrebMaxx. I had searched and searched for this solution. This time I did a different google search that took me to the website with the solution.

TrebMaxx
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Cool, glad you got it to work.

Stewie
01-31-2010, 02:25 PM
Cool, glad you got it to work.

Me too. Apparently this is a very common problem with a simple solution. The guy that authored the solution is surprised it's not on MS's website. He said he's posted the solution several times in several places. Good for him.