PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Excalibur to be re-made?

Bowser
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/08/singer-stick-sword-into-excalibur-redo.html

Warner Bros. has closed a rights deal to remake the 1981 “Excalibur,” with Bryan Singer producing and developing the picture as a potential directing vehicle.

Deal comes as Singer gets serious about making the New Line-Legendary co-production “Jack the Giant Killer” his next directing effort, according to sources.

WB and Legendary Pictures have labored for months to pull together the rights to the film, which Singer will produce with Julie Yorn. Polly Johnsen, who was Polly Cohen when she was the WB exec who presided over the Singer-directed WB/Legendary collaboration “Superman Returns,” will also be a producer.

“Excalibur” is the quintessential myth-of-King-Arthur film, complete with the enchanted sword, the Knights of the Round Table, Merlyn the wizard and the quest for the Holy Grail to save Arthur’s life. The original film was directed by John Boorman and adapted from the Thomas Malory book by Rospo Pallenberg and Boorman.

Boorman's film broke talent such as Helen Mirren (who played the evil Morgana) and Liam Neeson (Sir Gawain) as well as Gabriel Byrne, Patrick Stewart and Ciaran Hinds. WB had some of the rights as a library title; the rest were secured from Boorman.

Singer hasn’t set a writer yet. Matt Reilly is overseeing for WB, Erik Olsen for Yorn and Singer’s former partner Alex Garcia is overseeing for Legendary.

Singer recently signed on to develop to direct and produce “Battlestar Galactica” at Universal, a project he’d been eyeing since he originally made a deal to godfather a series revival in 2001. At the same time, Singer has been flirting with directing “X-Men: First Class,” a 20th Century Fox spinoff that got a first script draft by “O.C.” creator Josh Schwartz.

It looks like his next directing assignment could well be “Jack the Giant Killer,” a riff on the Jack and the Beanstalk legend developed by New Line with scripters Darren Lemke and Mark Bomback and producer Neal Moritz. The story revolves around a young farmer who leads an expedition into the land of the giants to recover a kidnapped princess.

WME reps Singer.

OK, I like Bryan Singer just fine, but this is one movie I really wish they wouldn't fuck with. It's a classic - leave it alone. It stands great as a movie today, nearly 30 years later.

And on top of that, they want Singer to direct the Battlestar Galactica movie. Again, the recent TV show was damned near perfect, one of my favorites, and toying with the storyline has a good chance to just look like fail. WTF is going on in Hollywood that we have all these re-launches and re-makes? Is the town just running out of original ideas? Frustrating.

the Talking Can
01-31-2010, 01:52 PM
jesus, the original is singular...creepy, atmospheric, a bit campy, awesome to the end...

DaneMcCloud
01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
WTF is going on in Hollywood that we have all these re-launches and re-makes? Is the town just running out of original ideas? Frustrating.

Funding. Banks won't fund summer blockbusters unless it's a viable property. DVD sales have plummeted due to piracy, so that money pretty much no longer figures to banks and investors.

Just as it's easy to remake a hit song time after time, it's easy to sell a known property as opposed to a unknown property.

For the record, I'm not justifying it, I'm just answering your question.

:D

Frazod
01-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Leave it the fuck alone. We don't need "Excalibur Returns."

Somebody should stick an umbrella up Singer's ass and open it for even thinking about this.

Bane
01-31-2010, 05:49 PM
That def one I'd be fine with not seeing it re made.

KcMizzou
01-31-2010, 05:58 PM
The original has been one of my favorite movies since I was a kid. I'd prefer they left it alone.

Dolphinduck
01-31-2010, 09:55 PM
The original has been one of my favorite movies since I was a kid. I'd prefer they left it alone.

This sums it up perfectly!

Taco John
01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
You don't hear about this movie too much.

KcMizzou
01-31-2010, 10:44 PM
You don't hear about this movie too much.You should though, IMO. I absolutely loved it.

If they do re-make it.. I won't be pissed about it. Hell, I'll probably see it. I'll still have the DVD of the original if they screw it up.

Frazod
01-31-2010, 10:57 PM
You don't hear about this movie too much.

I have a special attachment to it because it came out when I was in high school, about a year before the original Conan IIRC. I love both of those movies.

ChiefJustice
01-31-2010, 11:34 PM
You should though, IMO. I absolutely loved it.

If they do re-make it.. I won't be pissed about it. Hell, I'll probably see it. I'll still have the DVD of the original if they screw it up.

Exactly.

It's not like they are going to burn the master prints of the original and send

out the "Excalibur Gestapo" to round up anyone who owns or has seen the first movie.

KcMizzou
01-31-2010, 11:36 PM
I have a special attachment to it because it came out when I was in high school, about a year before the original Conan IIRC. I love both of those movies.I was a bit younger, but I agree...

Both "captured my imagination" (corny as it sounds..lol)

In those days... we didn't have quality special effects or great acting in our fantasy movies. We had The Beast Master, and The Sword and the Sorcerer.

Excalibur and Conan stood out, because not only were they in the fantasy genre.. they were good movies.

That was rare... until the LOTR trilogy just blew everything else out of the water.

Frazod
01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
I was a bit younger, but I agree...

Both "captured my imagination" (corny as it sounds..lol)

In those days... we didn't have quality special effects or great acting in our fantasy movies. We had The Beast Master, and The Sword and the Sorcerer.

Excalibur and Conan stood out, because not only were they in the fantasy genre.. they were good movies.

That was rare... until the LOTR trilogy just blew everything else out of the water.

Never cared for Beastmaster, but I loved Sword and the Sorcerer. The cardboard swords were ridiculous, but Talon was an awesome hero.

And while I of course love the LOTR movies, they have never surpassed the original Conan on my favorites list. Despite it's many flaws, I absolutely love that movie and it will always rank in my top 10.

Psyko Tek
02-01-2010, 12:41 AM
it's right
they can remake what they ant
but we still got the originals

unless it's lucas

HAN SHOT FIRST

Ari Chi3fs
02-01-2010, 01:33 AM
This was also one of my favorite movies as a kid... interesting to read so much praise from a fond movie of mine.

Braincase
02-01-2010, 05:28 AM
He'll remake "The Princess Bride" after that.

BigRedChief
02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Excalibur is one of my favorite movies of all time. Very well done, especially for the 1980's.

BigRedChief
He'll remake "The Princess Bride" after that.Inconcievable.

Deberg_1990
Id prefer they remake Dragonslayer

Love Excalibur. No remake would ever top it. Its perfect the way it is.

Huffmeister
02-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Boorman's film broke talent such as Helen Mirren (who played the evil Morgana) and Liam Neeson (Sir Gawain) as well as Gabriel Byrne, Patrick Stewart and Ciaran Hinds.
I like Gabriel Byrne, and I've seen Excalibur a million times. But I never realized he was in it. I had picked out Patrick Stewart (even if I was blind, I still could have picked out his voice). I even picked out Liam Neeson, whose presence was a bit more subtle. But I never knew that Byrne was Uther. Awesome.

Frazod
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I like Gabriel Byrne, and I've seen Excalibur a million times. But I never realized he was in it. I had picked out Patrick Stewart (even if I was blind, I still could have picked out his voice). I even picked out Liam Neeson, whose presence was a bit more subtle. But I never knew that Byrne was Uther. Awesome.

IIRC, they dubbed his voice.

Frazod
02-01-2010, 01:08 PM
This was also one of my favorite movies as a kid... interesting to read so much praise from a fond movie of mine.

I know the Charm of Making by heart.

And no, it doesn't work. :evil:

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I remember watching it in sophomore English. It's a quality flick. I later Netflixed an HD-DVD version 2 years or so ago. Transfer was shitty, FWIW.

Frazod
02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
Lots of interesting trivia from Excalibur. Some funny, some creepy.

The funny: Nicol Williamson (Merlin) and Helen Mirren (Morgana) hated each other, and each initially refused to do the movie if the other was in it. But Boorman talked them into it, and their natural, mutual dislike really came through in their performances.

The creepy: The woman who played Igrayne was Boorman's daughter. Dude directed his own daughter in a nude semi-rape sex scene. Ewwwww...... :spock:

Deberg_1990
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Boorman made some strange films....Zardoz anyone?? ROFL

siberian khatru
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM

I love that movie. Connery in a diaper -- how could you go wrong?

BigRedChief
02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Lots of interesting trivia from Excalibur. Some funny, some creepy.

The funny: Nicol Williamson (Merlin) and Helen Mirren (Morgana) hated each other, and each initially refused to do the movie if the other was in it. But Boorman talked them into it, and their natural, mutual dislike really came through in their performances.

The creepy: The woman who played Igrayne was Boorman's daughter. Dude directed his own daughter in a nude semi-rape sex scene. Ewwwww...... :spock:I always wanted a DVD of stuff like that. The shows I've watched about filming Animal House were very cool to see on cable.

Miles
02-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Large amount to WTF is this moments in that thing outside of whatever that thing Connery was wearing. The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds

jspchief
02-03-2010, 01:02 PM
What they really need is to remaster the original. Last I checked, the DVD version was so poor it was almost unwatchable.

Radar Chief
02-03-2010, 01:12 PM

ROFL That show will always be remembered for Sean Connery in a banana hammock.

Radar Chief
02-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Inconcievable.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.