PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV What movies deserve better remakes?

Braincase
02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Somebody had the right idea... just a poor cast, a bad script, director or cinematographer that had their head up their ass?

What movies deserve a second chance?

patteeu
02-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Somebody had the right idea... just a poor cast, a bad script, director or cinematographer that had their head up their ass?

What movies deserve a second chance?

No Country For Old Men with a happily-ever-after ending /Frazod

:p

Buck
02-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Judge Dredd

Taco John
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Star Wars Trilogy

Jenson71
02-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Not really what you're asking for, but I'd like to see a new Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Buehler445
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Transformers. So much potential...

listopencil
02-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Starship Troopers.

AZORChiefFan
02-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Van Helsing - reading about the movie in pre production on the internet sounded so promising. Van Helsing hunting down all the old "Universal" monsters. Man this premise had so much potential especially if done on a smaller scale instead of the stupid eye raping 'Mummy' wannabe crap.

blaise
02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
The Running Man. Less goofy 80' action stuff, and more like the short story. It would be good as a darker, grittier, movie with an everyman as the lead.

Frazod
02-01-2010, 11:16 PM
A movie that was unbelievably bad and shouldn't have been was Gods and Generals. I'd suggest that the people who made Gettysburg remake it, but it was the people who made Gettysburg who fucked it up.

That one's a real head scratcher.

Deberg_1990
02-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Dune

Godzilla (American Version)

Independence Day (Hasnt aged well at all)

Superman ( A good remake this time)

.................I kid.. :)

KCtotheSB
02-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Came in to say Superman and Godzilla. I was beaten to it....

patteeu
02-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Waterworld and The Postman

DMAC
02-02-2010, 09:04 AM
The Running Man. Less goofy 80' action stuff, and more like the short story. It would be good as a darker, grittier, movie with an everyman as the lead.I have been saying this for years. The book is so gripping, with an incredible ending.

Buehler445
02-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Dune

Godzilla (American Version)

Independence Day (Hasnt aged well at all)

Superman ( A good remake this time)

.................I kid.. :)

Independence Day was on TV the other day, it hasn't aged well...

However the best part of the movie was Will Smith's personality.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Any of Stephen King's movies.

Gadzooks
02-02-2010, 11:02 AM
'The Clash of the Titans' hasnít aged well.
Iím hoping the new one will live up to my expectations.

And Ishtar, of course.

Crush
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Stephen King's IT. Although, Tim Curry made a great Pennywise, that entire movie just raped the book. Absolutely horrible.

DMAC
02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Westworld

Swanman
02-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Ok, I'll be the first dork:

All of the Harry Potter films so far. So much stuff from the books they could have incorporated that they just didn't (and in the case of Half Blood Prince included a useless scene that wasn't even in the book in lieu of a very important section near the beginning of the book).

Swanman
02-02-2010, 12:53 PM

Starting with Pet Sematary, the movie adaptations of his books got appreciably better, especially Misery. Although NONE of his books should be adapted into TV movies unless it's HBO or Showtime, way too violent/adult themed for network or cable.

And most of King's non-horror works have made great movies, like Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile and The Body (Stand by Me).

Slainte
02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
In all seriousness? The sex tape between John Edwards and Rieille Hunter.

DMAC
02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Speaking of King...I would like to see someone do a Richard Bachman series of films. The Long Walk would be an awesome movie.

88TG88
02-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Spiderman

"Bob" Dobbs
02-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Speaking of King...I would like to see someone do a Richard Bachman series of films. The Long Walk would be an awesome movie.This. I also thought they could have done much better with Lost In Space.

Dicky McElephant
02-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Speaking of King...I would like to see someone do a Richard Bachman series of films. The Long Walk would be an awesome movie.

As would Regulators.

"Bob" Dobbs
02-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Pearl Harbor should have been much better, too.

patteeu
02-02-2010, 02:09 PM

All of the Harry Potter films so far. So much stuff from the books they could have incorporated that they just didn't (and in the case of Half Blood Prince included a useless scene that wasn't even in the book in lieu of a very important section near the beginning of the book).

What did you think of Twilight and New Moon? :Poke:

patteeu
02-02-2010, 02:10 PM
This. I also thought they could have done much better with Lost In Space.

I didn't think Lost In Space was that bad, but I'm obviously in the minority on that.

patteeu
02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
And most of King's non-horror works have made great movies, like Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile and The Body (Stand by Me).

I didn't realize Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me were King stories. I liked Hearts in Atlantis too.

Detoxing
02-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Spawn-----bitchin' dark, deep charectors, potential for some wicked CGI, should've been much darker/creepier than it was.

The actual movie had some shitty acting, Clown/Violator was fucking lame. It's seemed like they p[aid more attention to the soundtrack than the movie. So much potential, so dissapointing.

Frazod
02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Pearl Harbor should have been much better, too.

Personally I wish they'd just use CGI to update the battle sequences in Tora Tora Tora (sort of like what Lucas did to the first three Star Wars movies, and we still want the Japs to shoot first). Although even with their bathtub model battleships they were still better than that Michael Bay abomination.

Swanman
02-02-2010, 02:34 PM
What did you think of Twilight and New Moon? :Poke:

Well played. I said I am a dork, not a 14-year-old girl.

patteeu
02-02-2010, 02:35 PM
The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. They needed new scripts to take advantage of the huge opportunities that the original movie created for the franchise. What a disappointment.

Swanman
02-02-2010, 02:36 PM

The Long Walk has been on the docket to do for a while. I think it will get done.

I really want Cell to be made into a movie. For those that haven't read it, it's King's take on the zombie genre and very different from other zombie stuff out there.

Also, JJ Abrams owns the rights to turn the Dark Tower series into movies. I trust him to do right by them.

Swanman
02-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I didn't realize Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me were King stories. I liked Hearts in Atlantis too.

Both Shawshank and Stand by Me were "novellas" (or long short stories) by King. Shawshank is actually written as if Red is sitting there telling you the story, very well done.

Hearts in Atlantis was very well done. The book actually ties in big-time with the Dark Tower series, but they left most of that out of the movie, which was fine because the story was fine in movie form without it.

BigRedChief
02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
The Flintstones
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Dudley DoRight
Get Smart
Land of the Lost

"Bob" Dobbs
02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Pearl Harbor should have been much better, too.Now that I think about it, so should Sum Of All Fears. Is Ben Affleck the Ted McGinley of film?

Frazod
02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions. They needed new scripts to take advantage of the huge opportunities that the original movie created for the franchise. What a disappointment.

Those just need to be unmade, not remade.

DMAC
02-02-2010, 02:43 PM
The Flintstones
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Dudley DoRight
Get Smart
Land of the LostAdd those to the unmade list.

blaise
02-02-2010, 02:43 PM
The Godfather 3.

Slainte
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Add those to the unmade list.

The Godfather 3.

Add this as well.

Frazod
02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
The Godfather 3.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

If Winona Ryder plays the lead instead of Sophia-Ugly-Ass-Can't-Act Coppola, that movie rocks. Instead, she ruins every scene she's in, sort of like a non-CGI Jar Jar Binks.

Get the bitch a pony next time, Francis. :shake:

KcMizzou
02-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Any of Stephen King's movies.Except The Shawshank Redemption.

KcMizzou
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Judge Dredd
This is being done.

http://io9.com/5461855/new-judge-dredd-movie-wont-be-as-bad-as-the-original

JD10367
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I would have said "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (film) if there had never been "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (series). I would've said "Battlestar Galactica' (the original series) if there had never been "Battlestar Galactica" (the recent series).

I don't think the "Matrix" sequels qualify here. The plots sucked so bad it's not a question of a remake as much as a total rewrite.

I'm in the minority that liked "Superman Returns". I also didn't think "Lost In Space" was that bad of a film, for what it was. And the recent "Speed Racer" film, which at first seemed horrible, grew on me (but, then again, I had to watch it 50 times for that to happen, and I got to watch it in IMAX which improves anything).

What DIDN'T need a remake/redo were the "Dukes of Hazzard" and "Starsky and Hutch" films. The films sucked, but there was no need to make them in the first place IMO. Some things just belong in the 70s and shouldn't be updated.

I think the third "Alien" film could've been better, and had a better ending, as well as a beginning. When it started off by killing off Newt and Hicks before the film was even past the credits, I knew it was heading into epic suckdom.

The second "Fantastic Four" film blew chunks.

The recent batch of "Star Trek" films with the TNG cast were pretty lame.

I would like to see "Phantom", "Clones", and "Sith" redone, with someone rewriting Lucas's awful dialogue, getting rid of the fluff (e.g. podracing, Jar-Jar), and replacing Hayden "Sulky Boy" Christiansen with an actual actor.

While I enjoyed "Spiderman", very much enjoyed "Spiderman 2", and tolerated "Spiderman 3", someone other than Tobey Maguire would've been nice.

"Dune" never got a fair shake.

big nasty kcnut
02-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Virtuosity without the guy in prison stuff and instead they find the best cop by putting them in vr to find best man for the job and during the film the guy kill people by a way a serial killer did it like one like the unibomber or one by btk.

munkey
02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Spawn-----bitchin' dark, deep charectors, potential for some wicked CGI, should've been much darker/creepier than it was.

The actual movie had some shitty acting, Clown/Violator was ****ing lame. It's seemed like they p[aid more attention to the soundtrack than the movie. So much potential, so dissapointing.

YES!!!!

Totally agree with you other than clown..violator sucked but I thought John did a great job as the clown. Martin Sheen sucked balls and made it one of my biggest disappointments..Charlie obviously took lessons from his dad. I loved the soundtrack...It was a lot like the original crow imo...brandon lee couldn't act but the premise rocked.

munkey
02-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Waterworld and The Postman

Seriously...Waterworld was an absolute abortion that should be left in the garbage...the postman...well i couldn't sit through that again no matter what was improved...

Kevin...is that you?

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 11:23 PM

False.

Green Mile, Shawshank and even The Mist (which I have a defense thread about (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175134))

I sort of agree. I've rewatched the series again and it's cohesive as a series. On the other hand, I'm waiting for the kids who grew up on Potter (my gen) to get their crack at a remake.

Those just need to be unmade, not remade.

Exactly.

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 11:25 PM
While I enjoyed "Spiderman", very much enjoyed "Spiderman 2", and tolerated "Spiderman 3", someone other than Tobey Maguire would've been nice.

Fucking reboot phenomenon is going to get Spidey and rumor has it maybe Bourne.

Reboots and remakes should be at least a decade removed or more.

Also, I'll add I Am Legend. That was so not resembling the book that it's sad it carries its name. And they wasted a great performance by Smith.

Frazod
02-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Seriously...Waterworld was an absolute abortion that should be left in the garbage...the postman...well i couldn't sit through that again no matter what was improved...

Kevin...is that you?

I may be the only person on earth (other than Costner himself) who liked The Postman. I didn't think it was great, but I thought it was good. I saw it in the theater and later bought the DVD.

I think people bashed it mainly because Waterworld was so bad and it was open season on Costner and anything he did.

I did hate Waterworld. That was truly awful.

patteeu
02-02-2010, 11:40 PM
I disagree with all the people who think the sequels to the Matrix should just be unmade. That movie was screaming for trilogy treatment and it could have been so much better than what came out of it.

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
I disagree with all the people who think the sequels to the Matrix should just be unmade. That movie was screaming for trilogy treatment and it could have been so much better than what came out of it.

Oh, definitely agree, but the first movie can stand by itself, which is the point.

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Add: Pirates 2 and 3.

KcMizzou
02-03-2010, 12:00 AM
False.

Green Mile, Shawshank and even The Mist (which I have a defense thread about (http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175134))
I loved The Mist. Forgot about that one.

munkey
02-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I think people bashed it mainly because Waterworld was so bad and it was open season on Costner and anything he did.

IMO Postman was Waterworld on land....boring and just retarded. IMO it was Kevin's demise and his career has never been the same.

DJJasonp
02-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Van Helsing - reading about the movie in pre production on the internet sounded so promising. Van Helsing hunting down all the old "Universal" monsters. Man this premise had so much potential especially if done on a smaller scale instead of the stupid eye raping 'Mummy' wannabe crap.

this.

I dont know if I've ever been more disappointed in a horror flick than this film. A Dracula with a lisp??? horrible.

Even with a typically hot-looking Kate Beckinsale the movie stunk!

Guru
02-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Those just need to be unmade, not remade.Agreed. Matrix stood just fine by itself. They actually cheapened it with the sequels.

Frazod
02-03-2010, 01:32 AM
IMO Postman was Waterworld on land....boring and just retarded. IMO it was Kevin's demise and his career has never been the same.

It was a bit slow, but I think it just wasn't what people have come to expect from a post-apocalypse movie - no talking apes, giant cockroaches, mutant powers or any crap like that - just people trying to survive. Costner's character didn't have any super powers - he was just an opportunistic weasel who got caught up in his own bullshit. I thought it was a believable portrayal of what might happen if the government collapsed and people were left to fend for themselves.

Great film? No. But deserving of all the abuse that was heaped upon it? Also, no.

Buehler445
02-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Add: Pirates 2 and 3.

Unmade list.

The first one was very well done. And then they fucked it all with 2 and 3. I'm not a Depp fan, Disney fan, have no kids. I essentially have absolutely no vested interest in the trilogy other than I like movies, and the first one was done so well, and then they puked up the other two. I'd say just leave the first one as it is.

Demonpenz
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
ride...postman ride

blaise
02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
They should remake the Karate Kid, and get some celebrity's kid to play the lead role, and a goofy, corny guy to play the Miyagi role, and just take a movie that didn't need to be remade and remake it so the celebrity's kid could star in a film and they could make money.

HC_Chief
02-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Logan's Run

HC_Chief
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM

:spock:
The Shining
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile

All were excellent. All were "Steven King movies".

Dicky McElephant
02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
The Shining
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile

Alright....jeez. I meant his shitty made for TV movies. Not the obvious good ones people.

HC_Chief
02-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Alright....jeez. I meant his shitty made for TV movies. Not the obvious good ones people.

lol
Sorry, my post was a bit of an echo. I noticed that after I posted.

I thought SciFi did a great job with The Shining, other than that though, I agree.

I typically skip made-for-television movies. They are so edited and watered-down that there is no point watching them; especially when you've already read the book (see Salem's Lot, IT, Nightfliers, et al).

Frazod
02-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Logan's Run

It's in the works, apparently.

blaise
02-03-2010, 11:31 AM
It's in the works, apparently.

Hasn't it been for like 8 years though? I think they've been having problems.

Frazod
02-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Hasn't it been for like 8 years though? I think they've been having problems.

There's an IMDb page that says 2012, but it has no other specifics.

HC_Chief
02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
There's an IMDb page that says 2012, but it has no other specifics.

Yeah, they had one for Ender's Game too. I'll believe it when I see it.

listopencil
02-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Yeah, they had one for Ender's Game too. I'll believe it when I see it.

That would be incredible if they could somehow not fuck it all up.

listopencil
02-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Logan's Run

Great idea.

Miles
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
The Shining
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile

Others that haven't been mentioned yet that were fairly solid - Pet Sematary, 1408, Misery and The Dead Zone.

munkey
02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
They should remake the Karate Kid, and get some celebrity's kid to play the lead role, and a goofy, corny guy to play the Miyagi role, and just take a movie that didn't need to be remade and remake it so the celebrity's kid could star in a film and they could make money.

I think CP needs a politically incorrect retard smilie....

pikesome
02-03-2010, 08:41 PM
That would be incredible if they could somehow not **** it all up.

It's not possible to make an Ender's Game movie and not fuck it up. The kid on kid violence would have to be removed/toned down and, in this particular movie, it would ruin the entire story.

Miles
02-03-2010, 09:13 PM
It's not possible to make an Ender's Game movie and not fuck it up. The kid on kid violence would have to be removed/toned down and, in this particular movie, it would ruin the entire story.

Not to mention that actors that age are usually damn annoying and not good enough to fill the sort of roles that would be required to make it even somewhat decent. Seems like it would probably work a little better if they were in their early teens or something.

blaise
02-04-2010, 04:53 AM

I think CP needs a politically incorrect retard smilie....

Or one for someone who didn't get a joke.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155076/

KJROD20
02-04-2010, 12:14 PM
i always wonder how awesome AI would have been if Kubrick directed it instead of Spielberg. I thought it was pretty good otherwise, but if Kubrick had any of the technology filmmakers have now, holy crap it would have been crazy.

Being someone who grew up on the movies and have seen each of the other 2 over 1000 times, I can't wait for Ghostbusters 3.

PhillyChiefFan
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Pearl Harbor...and this time, make it ABOUT Pearl Harbor, not some sluzz who can't make up her mind.

And...drop the annoying fake southern accents.

:facepalm:

Detoxing
02-04-2010, 12:39 PM
YES!!!!

Totally agree with you other than clown..violator sucked but I thought John did a great job as the clown. Martin Sheen sucked balls and made it one of my biggest disappointments..Charlie obviously took lessons from his dad. I loved the soundtrack...It was a lot like the original crow imo...brandon lee couldn't act but the premise rocked.

What's funny is that the HBO Animated series did a much better job in portraying the Spawn Comic than the movie did.

The Animated series kicked ass.

patteeu
02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
The Blade series could have been so much better, IMO.

And Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, an animated abortion of a movie should be made into a live action fantasy epic, ala LOTR.

DMAC
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
WestworldHuh, well ok...I guess this is happening. Now that I know it is happening though, I don't want it to.

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/warner-brothers-remaking-westworld-movie/

Braincase
02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
There's a lot of movies that deserve to be made. I am really hoping that the story of Ender Wiggin is handled right. The other story that I would love to see (and could damn neart be a multi-year series) is the story Drizz't Dourden.

Only problem would be casting it right.

bango
02-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Spaceballs should be remade as we now finally have the technology to do it the way it should have been done all along.

KcMizzou
02-04-2010, 09:15 PM
There's a lot of movies that deserve to be made. I am really hoping that the story of Ender Wiggin is handled right. The other story that I would love to see (and could damn neart be a multi-year series) is the story Drizz't Dourden.

Only problem would be casting it right.Yeah, that could be amazing... or painfully awful.