a ha ha ha

Yeah you have to be kidding me? Really?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2010, 07:17 AM
The Blind Side??

:facepalm:

Sandra Bullock??

:facepalm: :facepalm:

What's awesome, though: Camerson and Bigelow both nominated for best director. They were once married.

Miles
02-02-2010, 07:19 AM
When they opened up best picture to 10 you would think there would have been a decent chance that some foreign flick might make it in over something like The Blind Side or District 9.

Sam Rockwell is continuing to be ignored in this set of nominees.

BigMeatballDave
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Actor: Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"; George Clooney, "Up in the Air"; Colin Firth, "A Single Man"; Morgan Freeman, "Invictus"; Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker."

BigMeatballDave
02-02-2010, 07:25 AM
I really thought Brad Pitt was going to get a nomination for Inglorious.

Miles
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Taken from another site so I can't ensure accuracy:

Actor in a Leading Role

* Jeff Bridges in “Crazy Heart”
* George Clooney in “Up in the Air”
* Colin Firth in “A Single Man”
* Morgan Freeman in “Invictus”
* Jeremy Renner in “The Hurt Locker”

Actor in a Supporting Role

* Matt Damon in “Invictus”
* Woody Harrelson in “The Messenger”
* Christopher Plummer in “The Last Station”
* Stanley Tucci in “The Lovely Bones”
* Christoph Waltz in “Inglourious Basterds”

Actress in a Leading Role

* Sandra Bullock in “The Blind Side”
* Helen Mirren in “The Last Station”
* Carey Mulligan in “An Education”
* Gabourey Sidibe in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”
* Meryl Streep in “Julie & Julia”

Actress in a Supporting Role

* Penélope Cruz in “Nine”
* Vera Farmiga in “Up in the Air”
* Maggie Gyllenhaal in “Crazy Heart”
* Anna Kendrick in “Up in the Air”
* Mo’Nique in “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire”

Animated Feature Film

* “Coraline” Henry Selick
* “Fantastic Mr. Fox” Wes Anderson
* “The Princess and the Frog” John Musker and Ron Clements
* “The Secret of Kells” Tomm Moore
* “Up” Pete Docter

Art Direction

* “Avatar” Art Direction: Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Kim Sinclair
* “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” Art Direction: Dave Warren and Anastasia Masaro; Set Decoration: Caroline Smith
* “Nine” Art Direction: John Myhre; Set Decoration: Gordon Sim
* “Sherlock Holmes” Art Direction: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
* “The Young Victoria” Art Direction: Patrice Vermette; Set Decoration: Maggie Gray

Cinematography

* “Avatar” Mauro Fiore
* “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” Bruno Delbonnel
* “The Hurt Locker” Barry Ackroyd
* “Inglourious Basterds” Robert Richardson
* “The White Ribbon” Christian Berger

Costume Design

* “Bright Star” Janet Patterson
* “Coco before Chanel” Catherine Leterrier
* “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” Monique Prudhomme
* “Nine” Colleen Atwood
* “The Young Victoria” Sandy Powell

Directing

* “Avatar” James Cameron
* “The Hurt Locker” Kathryn Bigelow
* “Inglourious Basterds” Quentin Tarantino
* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels
* “Up in the Air” Jason Reitman

Documentary (Feature)

* “Burma VJ” Anders Østergaard and Lise Lense-Møller
* “The Cove” Nominees to be determined
* “Food, Inc.” Robert Kenner and Elise Pearlstein
* “The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers” Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith
* “Which Way Home” Rebecca Cammisa

Documentary (Short Subject)

* “China’s Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province” Jon Alpert and Matthew O’Neill
* “The Last Campaign of Governor Booth Gardner” Daniel Junge and Henry Ansbacher
* “The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant” Steven Bognar and Julia Reichert
* “Music by Prudence” Roger Ross Williams and Elinor Burkett
* “Rabbit à la Berlin” Bartek Konopka and Anna Wydra

Film Editing

* “Avatar” Stephen Rivkin, John Refoua and James Cameron
* “District 9” Julian Clarke
* “The Hurt Locker” Bob Murawski and Chris Innis
* “Inglourious Basterds” Sally Menke
* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Joe Klotz

Foreign Language Film

* “Ajami” Israel
* “El Secreto de Sus Ojos” Argentina
* “The Milk of Sorrow” Peru
* “Un Prophète” France
* “The White Ribbon” Germany

Makeup

* “Il Divo” Aldo Signoretti and Vittorio Sodano
* “Star Trek” Barney Burman, Mindy Hall and Joel Harlow
* “The Young Victoria” Jon Henry Gordon and Jenny Shircore

Music (Original Score)

* “Avatar” James Horner
* “Fantastic Mr. Fox” Alexandre Desplat
* “The Hurt Locker” Marco Beltrami and Buck Sanders
* “Sherlock Holmes” Hans Zimmer
* “Up” Michael Giacchino

Music (Original Song)

* “Almost There” from “The Princess and the Frog” Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
* “Down in New Orleans” from “The Princess and the Frog” Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
* “Loin de Paname” from “Paris 36” Music by Reinhardt Wagner Lyric by Frank Thomas
* “Take It All” from “Nine” Music and Lyric by Maury Yeston
* “The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)” from “Crazy Heart” Music and Lyric by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett

Best Picture

* “Avatar” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
* “The Blind Side” Nominees to be determined
* “District 9” Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham, Producers
* “An Education” Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers
* “The Hurt Locker” Nominees to be determined
* “Inglourious Basterds” Lawrence Bender, Producer
* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, Producers
* “A Serious Man” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, Producers
* “Up” Jonas Rivera, Producer
* “Up in the Air” Daniel Dubiecki, Ivan Reitman and Jason Reitman, Producers

Short Film (Animated)

* “French Roast” Fabrice O. Joubert
* “Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty” Nicky Phelan and Darragh O’Connell
* “The Lady and the Reaper (La Dama y la Muerte)” Javier Recio Gracia
* “Logorama” Nicolas Schmerkin
* “A Matter of Loaf and Death” Nick Park

Short Film (Live Action)

* “The Door” Juanita Wilson and James Flynn
* “Instead of Abracadabra” Patrik Eklund and Mathias Fjellström
* “Kavi” Gregg Helvey
* “Miracle Fish” Luke Doolan and Drew Bailey
* “The New Tenants” Joachim Back and Tivi Magnusson

Sound Editing

* “Avatar” Christopher Boyes and Gwendolyn Yates Whittle
* “The Hurt Locker” Paul N.J. Ottosson
* “Inglourious Basterds” Wylie Stateman
* “Star Trek” Mark Stoeckinger and Alan Rankin
* “Up” Michael Silvers and Tom Myers

Sound Mixing

* “Avatar” Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers, Andy Nelson and Tony Johnson
* “The Hurt Locker” Paul N.J. Ottosson and Ray Beckett
* “Inglourious Basterds” Michael Minkler, Tony Lamberti and Mark Ulano
* “Star Trek” Anna Behlmer, Andy Nelson and Peter J. Devlin
* “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers and Geoffrey Patterson

Visual Effects

* “Avatar” Joe Letteri, Stephen Rosenbaum, Richard Baneham and Andrew R. Jones
* “District 9” Dan Kaufman, Peter Muyzers, Robert Habros and Matt Aitken
* “Star Trek” Roger Guyett, Russell Earl, Paul Kavanagh and Burt Dalton

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

* “District 9” Written by Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell
* “An Education” Screenplay by Nick Hornby
* “In the Loop” Screenplay by Jesse Armstrong, Simon Blackwell, Armando Iannucci, Tony Roche
* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher
* “Up in the Air” Screenplay by Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner

Writing (Original Screenplay)

* “The Hurt Locker” Written by Mark Boal
* “Inglourious Basterds” Written by Quentin Tarantino
* “The Messenger” Written by Alessandro Camon & Oren Moverman
* “A Serious Man” Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
* “Up” Screenplay by Bob Peterson, Pete Docter, Story by Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, Tom McCarthy

the Talking Can
02-02-2010, 07:33 AM
When they opened up best picture to 10 you would think there would have been a decent chance that some foreign flick might make it in over something like The Blind Side or District 9.

Sam Rockwell is continuing to be ignored in this set of nominees.

they have a category for foreign films...

Miles
02-02-2010, 07:36 AM
they have a category for foreign films...

Which have occasionally been nominated for best picture...

the Talking Can
02-02-2010, 07:38 AM
avatar will clean up the tech awards

would be cool to see Fantastic Mr. Fox win animated, but UP will probably get it

basterds is the best movie, imo, but doubt it will win

tarrentino has a good shot at best director

Christolph Waltz should be given a special Best Actor of the Year Period Award...

the Talking Can
02-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Which have occasionally been nominated for best picture...

huh, i guess i should know that but didn't remember...and totally agree about rockwell, loved that movie and him

siberian khatru
02-02-2010, 07:43 AM
I actually enjoyed "Blind Side" -- it was date night w/ my wife. The football stuff was pretty unrealistic, but I thought overall it was a good movie.

But no way in hell would I consider it worthy of a Best Picture nomination even with the expanded (ugh) list.

This is one of the first years in a long time that I've actually seen a majority of BP nominees before the awards show -- Up in the Air, Up, District 9, Blind Side, Basterds, with Hurt Locker coming this week from Netflix. Out of that group, I'd pick Up in the Air as No. 1, although I probably enjoyed Basterds the most.

siberian khatru
02-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Christolph Waltz should be given a special Best Actor of the Year Period Award...

He was phenomenal. Mesmerizing.

the Talking Can
02-02-2010, 07:47 AM
I actually enjoyed "Blind Side" -- it was date night w/ my wife. The football stuff was pretty unrealistic, but I thought overall it was a good movie.

But no way in hell would I consider it worthy of a Best Picture nomination even with the expanded (ugh) list.

This is one of the first years in a long time that I've actually seen a majority of BP nominees before the awards show -- Up in the Air, Up, District 9, Blind Side, Basterds, with Hurt Locker coming this week from Netflix. Out of that group, I'd pick Up in the Air as No. 1, although I probably enjoyed Basterds the most.

i'm po'd i missed up in the air...when it first came out i thought it was going to be a typical indie twee dash-of-juno-spunk something....

Miles
02-02-2010, 07:51 AM
huh, i guess i should know that but didn't remember...and totally agree about rockwell, loved that movie and him

Just skimmed the past nominees and it was less frequent than I would have thought. Other than the period of 95' to 2000 where Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Il Postino and Life Is Beautiful were nominated there haven't been any recently unless you count Letters From Iwo Jima as one.

keg in kc
02-02-2010, 07:51 AM
avatar will clean up the tech awards

would be cool to see Fantastic Mr. Fox win animated, but UP will probably get it

basterds is the best movie, imo, but doubt it will win

tarrentino has a good shot at best director

Christolph Waltz should be given a special Best Actor of the Year Period Award...I think it's all but set in stone that Hurt Locker will win both picture and director.

Reaper16
02-02-2010, 08:05 AM
If I were voting...

Best Picture

The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Meryl Streep, Julia and Julia

Best Director

James Cameron, Avatar
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
Lee Daniels, Precious
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air

Best Supporting Actor

Matt Damon, Invictus
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christolph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress

Penelope Cruz, Nine
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Maggie Gyllenhaal, Crazy Heart
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Mo'Nique, Precious

Foreign Language Film

* “Ajami” Israel
* “El Secreto de Sus Ojos” Argentina
* “The Milk of Sorrow” Peru
* “Un Prophète” France
* “The White Ribbon” Germany

Reaper16
02-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Films that should have been nominated for Best Picture: Goodbye, Solo, Sugar, Still Walking

Miles
02-02-2010, 08:12 AM
It was kinda nice to see that "Nine" wasn't nominated for much. I don't understand the general concept of musicals (fucking hate them) but it seemed to get a decent amount of early nominations despite pretty rough reviews.

Swanman
02-02-2010, 08:26 AM
I am really pulling for Jeremy Renner to win best actor. He has always been a classic "that guy", putting together a very solid career and really did a great job in The Hurt Locker.

I just hope Avatar doesn't win that many awards except for the tech awards. It was a good movie with a simple storyline and breathtaking effects, but not something that moved me at all.

Oh, and Christoph Waltz for Best Supporting Actor....of all time.

Frazod
02-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Isn't it unusual to have that many movies nominated for Best Picture?

Miles
02-02-2010, 08:36 AM

They changed it to 10 this year.

Frazod
02-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Out of the four I've seen (Avatar, District 9, Inglorious Basterds and Hurt Locker), Hurt Locker is the easy winner.

I can't believe District 9 was even nominated. I also can't believe it was nominated and Moon wasn't. Dickbags. :shake:

keg in kc
02-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Out of the four I've seen (Avatar, District 9, Inglorious Basterds and Hurt Locker), Hurt Locker is the easy winner.

I can't believe District 9 was even nominated. I also can't believe it was nominated and Moon wasn't. Dickbags. :shake:Moon should have been. They could have dropped Up in the Air, too.

Miles
02-02-2010, 09:02 AM
I can't believe District 9 was even nominated. I also can't believe it was nominated and Moon wasn't. Dickbags. :shake:

Seems like Moon is pretty much being ignored for awards which is not that odd for sci-fi flick. Though in a year where the genre is actually being recognized it doesn't make as much sense.

To me a sign of a great film is how much I think about it after seeing it. Moon definitely lingered a bit.

keg in kc
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Seems like Moon is pretty much being ignored for awards which is not that odd for sci-fi flick. Though in a year where the genre is actually being recognized it doesn't make as much sense.There's a reason for that:SONY PICTURES CLASSICS IS KIND OF FULL OF SHIT (http://www.chud.com/articles/articles/22041/1/SONY-PICTURES-CLASSICS-IS-KIND-OF-FULL-OF-SHIT/Page1.html)

By Devin Faraci
Published 01/5/2010

Last week there was a little brouhaha about Sony Pictures Classics not sending out awards consideration screeners of Duncan Jones' excellent scifi film Moon. I didn't run this because a) ehhh, who cares* and b) the reasoning behind the screener snub was obvious - SPC didn't see Moon as an Oscar picture, and they're probably right. I mean, it would have been nice to send out screeners, but it isn't like this was the most mystifying screener snub in history.

Then the story took a turn for the LOL, when Movieline reached out to SPC and asked why they didn't send out Moon screeners.

Thus spake SPC:

“The DVD and Blu-ray come out on Jan. 12 — next Tuesday — and it was felt that to preserve the integrity of the film, we didn’t want to send screeners,” the rep told me. “We’re concerned about piracy. The thing about Moon is that its particular genre is very predisposed toward being uploaded onto the Web. We really just wanted to protect that aspect of it. It’s a simple as that. […] A lot of publicity for Moon is coming out next week. Hopefully that will remind all the consumers, all the readers — and especially any awards folks — that this terrific title is out there.”

Oh man. That's so dumb. First of all, the movie has been out on DVD and Blu in the UK for weeks and weeks. I haven't checked, but the fact that it's been on home video for a month in another country leads me to believe it's surely been pirated already. But on top of that, SPC could have just sent some of those DVDs that are being pressed for release to awards types. I know they don't want to spend a whole bunch of money - that's really the main reason they didn't send out screeners in the first place - but the fact that DVDs exist makes their lack of interest in supporting the picture seem doubly stupid. Hell, they should have just cried 'The Economy!' and everybody would have gotten it. Instead they're playing the piracy boogeyman at a time when it's evident to any thinking person that this particular monster is already out of the closet.

* I mean, I care sort of, but this awards season stuff is horrible bullshit. A good movie is no better or worse depending on its nomination status. Nominations might help Moon sell DVDs, but I feel like it's really unlikely that the film would ever get awards traction, just from knowing how those horrible awards groups operate. That said, good on Duncan Jones for continuing to support Sam Rockwell through a grassroots campaign.In other words, Sony didn't even try....

Jenson71
02-02-2010, 09:16 AM

Hasn't been 10 since 1943, when a little movie with Bogart and Bergman won. Makes sense that it's a way to boost the ratings. If there had been 10 last year, The Dark Knight likely would have been nominated, and thus, more people likely would have watched.

I never thought I'd live to see the day where Sandra Bullock could win an award for Best Actress.

Miles
02-02-2010, 09:20 AM
There's a reason for that:In other words, Sony didn't even try....

Damn that's rather lame.

Buck
02-02-2010, 09:24 AM
How does District 9 get nominated for Best Picture, but neither Neil Blomkamp or Sharlto Copley not get nominated?

Miles
02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
How does District 9 get nominated for Best Picture, but neither Neil Blomkamp or Sharlto Copley not get nominated?

10 are now nominated for best picture but 5 in the other categories. I really enjoyed District 9 but not much about it is award worthy.

Buck
02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
10 are now nominated for best picture but 5 in the other categories. I really enjoyed District 9 but not much about it is award worthy.

Really? Did you not think that Copley provided one of the better acting performances of the year? He killed it in that movie. It was my 2nd favorite performance this year, with only Christoph Waltz being better.

Frazod
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Hasn't been 10 since 1943, when a little movie with Bogart and Bergman won. Makes sense that it's a way to boost the ratings. If there had been 10 last year, The Dark Knight likely would have been nominated, and thus, more people likely would have watched.

I never thought I'd live to see the day where Sandra Bullock could win an award for Best Actress.

She's nominated for a Razzie, too. It would be rather ironic if she won both. :D

Miles
02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Really? Did you not think that Copley provided one of the better acting performances of the year? He killed it in that movie. It was my 2nd favorite performance this year, with only Christoph Waltz being better.

He was pretty solid but still nothing I would consider best actor worthy.

keg in kc
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I found District 9 to be one of the more underwhelming movies of the year. It wasn't a big letdown like Up in the Air, but it wasn't anything award-worthy in any way, shape or form, either. They did market it well to their target-audience, though (of which I'm a member).

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I found District 9 to be one of the more underwhelming movies of the year. It wasn't a big letdown like Up in the Air, but it wasn't anything award-worthy in any way, shape or form, either. They did market it well to their target-audience, though (of which I'm a member).

Up in the Air was a let down?

keg in kc
02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Up in the Air was a let down?For me it was, yeah. Just didn't work. No desire to ever see it again.

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
For me it was, yeah. Just didn't work. No desire to ever see it again.

Well, rewatchability is low anyway. I'm just surprised. I thought it was well done at a very good time (with respect to economy, etc).

HC_Chief
02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow, until now I had not realized what a shit year it was for movies. None of the best movie nomines are really worthy IMO.

My favorite of them all was Inglorious Basterds, but I wouldn't call it "Oscar worthy". Same goes for The Hurt Locker.

Avatar was visually stunning in IMAX 3D, but best movie? Seriously? It's Pocohontas in space fercrissakes.

JD10367
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Best Picture

The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Can't believe "Star Trek" didn't get a nod.

I've only seen a few of those films but, from what I've heard of them, it SHOULD be a race between "The Blind Side", "District 9", "The Hurt Locker", "Precious", and "Inglorious Basterds". Of course, it will be "Avatar".

Best Actress

Should be Sidibe, will probably be Bullock (the "first time, lifetime achievement" vote), but it MIGHT be Streep, who they fawn over.

Best Director

James Cameron, Avatar
Lee Daniels, Precious

Probably should be Bigelow or Daniels; will be between Cameron (the probable winner) and Tarentino.

Best Supporting Actor

Matt Damon, Invictus

I like it, a category where they're all deserving and there's no clear-cut favorite who doesn't deserve it.

Best Supporting Actress

Penelope Cruz, Nine
Mo'Nique, Precious

Another good bunch, although Cruz probably doesn't belong. Should, and will, be Mo'Nique.

keg in kc
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Wow, until now I had not realized what a shit year it was for movies. None of the best movie nomines are really worthy IMO. Fruits of the writer's strike.

JD10367
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Actor: Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"; George Clooney, "Up in the Air"; Colin Firth, "A Single Man"; Morgan Freeman, "Invictus"; Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker."

Bridges seems the odds-on and sentimental favorite. Hollywood loves has-been alcoholic accent roles.

Frazod
02-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Agree 100% on District 9. I just don't understand the fascination.

Haven't seen Up in the Air - shit like that can wait for DVD.

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Can't believe "Star Trek" didn't get a nod.

I've only seen a few of those films but, from what I've heard of them, it SHOULD be a race between "The Blind Side", "District 9", "The Hurt Locker", "Precious", and "Inglorious Basterds". Of course, it will be "Avatar".

I don't think Avatar will win. I think Hurt Locker is the lock.

Should be Sidibe, will probably be Bullock (the "first time, lifetime achievement" vote), but it MIGHT be Streep, who they fawn over.

Meh. Who cares, this year?

Probably should be Bigelow or Daniels; will be between Cameron (the probable winner) and Tarentino.

It'll be Bigelow. No doubt about it.

I like it, a category where they're all deserving and there's no clear-cut favorite who doesn't deserve it.

:eek:

Christopher Waltz walks away with it. Easily.

Another good bunch, although Cruz probably doesn't belong. Should, and will, be Mo'Nique.

Mo'Nique will win. Up in the Air hurts itself with both nominated.

HC_Chief
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Bridges seems the odds-on and sentimental favorite. Hollywood loves has-been alcoholic accent roles.

Does that movie qualify? I thought it just came out?

If it does qualify then it wins IMO. So does Bridges.

It would be a total sham if Christolph Waltz does not win for his brilliant role in Inglorious Basterds. He was amazing in that movie.

siberian khatru
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Add me to the list of those underwhelmed by District 9. Saw it last weekend, liked it, but didn't think it was particularly epic or moving or anything. My 14-year-old son liked it a lot more than I did.

Miles
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM

Waltz has to be pretty much lock here.

Miles
02-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Does that movie qualify? I thought it just came out?

If it does qualify then it wins IMO. So does Bridges.

It has been out in indy theaters before christmas.

blazzin311
02-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Well I supposed I'll go ahead and make my pics based on the nominees, though I still felt like Sam Rockwell should have received (and would have been my choice) a Best Actor nomintaion for his role in "Moon". He was outstanding in it. So that ticks me off a little bit that the Academy didn't recognize that. Anyway here goes.

Best Picture - "The Hurt Locker"
Actress Supporting Role - Mo'Nique, "Precious"
Actor Supporting Role -Christopher Waltz, "Inglourious Basterds"
Actress Lead Role - Sandra Bullock, "The Blind Side"
Actor Lead Role - Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart"
Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow, "The Hurt Locker"

Reaper16
02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I'll stick up for District 9. One of the best films of the year for me and a worthy nomination. I also want to reiterate how much I hated Precious. Terrible screenplay, wooden lead performance, one-dimensional characters (apart from Mo'Nique, who nails both of her character's dimensions), direction that varies from nonsensical to blase, and film that dredges its audience through the worst, racist, exagerrated Reagan-era fears of welfare queens.

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Best Picture - "The Hurt Locker"

Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow, "The Hurt Locker"

I hope so.

The producer of the film lives directly across the street from me and has been a good friend for nearly 7 years. This is the first movie he's produced, so hopefully, it bodes well for his future.

Demonpenz
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
bill murray should ben nominated for something for zombieland.

KC_Connection
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I found it to be a very poor year for films. Even The Hurt Locker (which seems like it will be the likely winner in the Best Picture category, unless they decide to give it to Avatar like they gave it to Titantic) was pretty underwhelming to me.

Out of all of them this year (and I've seen most of the movies listed here), I'd say I liked Inglorious Basterds and Fantastic Mr. Fox the best.

KC_Connection
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Haven't seen Crazy Heart yet, though....

blazzin311
02-02-2010, 02:04 PM
I hope so.

The producer of the film lives directly across the street from me and has been a good friend for nearly 7 years. This is the first movie he's produced, so hopefully, it bodes well for his future.

Well I'm pretty sure whether it wins the said awards it's nominated for or not, it will already bode well for his future. Just to be nominated is a great honor. That being said that film totally deserves to win both of thos categories as far as I'm concerned.

Deberg_1990
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Pretty cool UP got nominated in both best pic and best animated pic.

That is actually a pretty decent best pic list.

NewChief
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I found it to be a very poor year for films. Even The Hurt Locker (which seems like it will be the likely winner in the Best Picture category, unless they decide to give it to Avatar like they gave it to Titantic) was pretty underwhelming to me.

Out of all of them this year (and I've seen most of the movies listed here), I'd say I liked Inglorious Basterds and Fantastic Mr. Fox the best.

I'm with you on The Hurt Locker. I also think IB is my favorite (and to me the most artistically interesting film) of the year.

Deberg_1990
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Hopefully Bridges wins. Dude has been a solid actor since the early 70's and i dont think hes ever won anything??

Reaper16
02-02-2010, 04:03 PM
In the Loop was deserving of a Best Picture nomination and Peter Capaldi was robbed of a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

But I know... the Oscars are trying to be about mainstream achievement more than actual fucking merit.

Demonpenz
02-02-2010, 04:05 PM
they can't all be exciting as "my left foot"

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I wish they had a "rollover" option for Best Picture. I dont' know if any of these films are really worthy. Honestly, it'd be nice to be able to go back and give the award from 2010 to either Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, SPR, etc.

Reaper16
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I wish they had a "rollover" option for Best Picture. I dont' know if any of these films are really worthy. Honestly, it'd be nice to be able to go back and give the award from 2010 to either Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, SPR, etc.
Dr. Strangelove

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Dr. Strangelove

If you are in to cultural studies, check out Dr. Strangelove's America sometime.

Thig Lyfe
02-02-2010, 04:53 PM
In the Loop was deserving of a Best Picture nomination and Peter Capaldi was robbed of a Best Supporting Actor nomination.

But I know... the Oscars are trying to be about mainstream achievement more than actual fucking merit.

This. In The Loop was my favorite movie of the year. I hope it at least wins best adapted screenplay.

And count me among those who thought Sam Rockwell and Moon got the shaft in favor of tripe like The Blind Side.

DaneMcCloud
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM

I wouldn't agree with that assessment. Several of these films were made on a shoestring budget and feature some very fine performances by known and unknown actors, directors, etc.

If "Avatar" wins everything, I'll completely agree. But I don't think that'll be the case.

Micjones
02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Best Picture:
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Best Actress:

Best Director:
James Cameron, Avatar
Lee Daniels, Precious

Best Supporting Actor:
Matt Damon, Invictus

Best Supporting Actress:
Penelope Cruz, Nine
Mo'Nique, Precious

Reaper16
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't agree with that assessment. Several of these films were made on a shoestring budget and feature some very fine performances by known and unknown actors, directors, etc.

If "Avatar" wins everything, I'll completely agree. But I don't think that'll be the case.
I hope that's not the case. I can only give consent to three of the ten nominated films to win Best Picture: The Hurt Locker, Inglorious Basterds, and Up. I can make an argument for any of those three (Hurt Locker would be my true pick).

JD10367
02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Hopefully Bridges wins. Dude has been a solid actor since the early 70's and i dont think hes ever won anything??

I see what you did there. :)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lVsvjE1xePw/R3ALdN24Z4I/AAAAAAAAAK0/KbBLwOVd89U/s400/Dude.jpg

irishjayhawk
02-02-2010, 10:04 PM
This. In The Loop was my favorite movie of the year. I hope it at least wins best adapted screenplay.

And count me among those who thought Sam Rockwell and Moon got the shaft in favor of tripe like The Blind Side.

I have to agree with the latter.

Deberg_1990
02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
But I know... the Oscars are trying to be about mainstream achievement more than actual ****ing merit.

Thats really not true at all.

One of the leading contenders, Hurt Locker didnt make much money in theaters at all.

Avatar, while nominated, was all in technical categories (rightfully so)

I actually think they did pretty decent this year.

Guru
02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OFxqw0jbC2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OFxqw0jbC2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Jeez, with those actors how is it this movie isn't getting wide play?

Miles
02-03-2010, 12:52 AM

Also directed by Terry Gilliam who at times can be pretty damn good. Kinda surprised they didn't try to milk the final film of Heath Ledger angle.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2010, 12:57 AM

<object width="560" height="340">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OFxqw0jbC2Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></object>

As far as I know, it's not been released, nor is it ready for release.

Since Ledger's death, there are at least one if not two other actors that that have since signed on to portray his character.

Last I heard, Johnny Depp was signed on to portray at least one.

And Terry Gilliam works so against typical film-making that he often has problems with projects seeing the light of day.

Again, not a justification, just an informed POV.

Guru
02-03-2010, 01:06 AM

Since Ledger's death, there are at least one if not two other actors that that have since signed on to portray his character.

And Terry Gilliam works so against typical film-making that he often has problems with projects seeing the light of day.

Again, not a justification, just an informed POV.It had a limited release on December 25th and a slightly wider release on January 8th. It is playing all over Los Angeles right now. The closest I can find it to my area is Saint Louis, MO.

Miles
02-03-2010, 01:27 AM

It is showing at the Landmark Mayan a few blocks from me.

Guru
02-03-2010, 01:32 AM
It is showing at the Landmark Mayan a few blocks from me.It also has two Oscar nods as well.

Reaper16
02-03-2010, 02:03 AM

I saw it. It was not good.

NewChief
02-03-2010, 05:16 AM

Someone who is pretty into film told me they thought it was one of Gilliam's better films. Or well.... they said it was better than The Brothers Grimm.

blazzin311
02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Someone who is pretty into film told me they thought it was one of Gilliam's better films. Or well.... they said it was better than The Brothers Grimm.

Well that's not exactly saying much. The Brothers Grimm was pretty awful IMO. Doesn't really take much to top it.

HC_Chief
02-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Also directed by Terry Gilliam who at times can be pretty damn good. Kinda surprised they didn't try to milk the final film of Heath Ledger angle.

I love Gilliam movies. He has a distinctive style; he paints a beautiful, twisted picture.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
It is showing at the Landmark Mayan a few blocks from me.

Sorry, my bad.

I have not heard one thing about this movie and didn't even know it was released - I just knew of the addition of Jude Law & Johnny Depp.

Saccopoo
02-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I really thought Brad Pitt was going to get a nomination for Inglorious.

I thought his performance lacked. The whole movie was completely overrated in my opinon, but Waltz killed it with his performance of the Nazi Colonel. Saved the movie. Otherwise, it was meh at best. Inept version of the Dirty Dozen.

Saccopoo
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Wow, until now I had not realized what a shit year it was for movies. None of the best movie nomines are really worthy IMO.

My favorite of them all was Inglorious Basterds, but I wouldn't call it "Oscar worthy". Same goes for The Hurt Locker.

Avatar was visually stunning in IMAX 3D, but best movie? Seriously? It's Pocohontas in space fercrissakes.

Dude, if Gladiator can win Best Picture, Avatar is a shoe-in.