PDA

View Full Version : Religion The Moon, the true giver of life???

petegz28
02-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Just to take a break from politics for a bit I thought this would be interesting to some. Scientists have a theory that the Moon was created by a Mars-sized planet slamming into the earth. As gravity did it's work in the aftermath, the Moon was formed. This theory is supported by oxygen isotopes found in moonrocks that are the same as the Earth's. They are different everywhere else. Ok, so what does that have to do with anything? Look at it as this was the catalyst for Earth to be able to harbor life as we know it. Some interesting facts to observe should we not have a moon:

1. The Earth would be spinning so fast we would rougly have 5 hour days. This would create climate events of Al Gore proportions; excessive winds, extreme temperature change, evolution as we know it would not exist.

2. Magnentic fields would be much, much stronger. Since the Earth would be spinning much faster the magnetic field of the Earth would be much larger and stronger. This would prevent a lot of the radiation that evolution depended on from impacting the planet and therefore, life as we know it would not exist.

3. Wild axis shifts. Without the Moon as an anchor to stabilize the planet the axis of the Earth would wobble around and rotate excessively thus creating a climate where life as we know it would not exist. Yes there is still a degree of conical action of our axis but without the moon it would be multiplied beyond belief. Imagine our polar axis pointing straight at the Sun.

4. The obvious, nighttime would be pitch-black.

5. Without the Moon, even though tides would be 1/3 of what they are today, most of the planet would be covered in water. The Blue Planet would be even more blue. There would be minimla plate tectonics.

The list can go on but these are just some fun facts to observe. It makes one wonder what the ancients that worshiped and\or viewed the Moon as a God or Godess just as much of the Sun really knew?

So the next time you are out crisping yourself in the rays of our Sun and enjoying all it has to offer life on this planet, remember that none of it would be possible without the Moon.

Have a good one :D

RedDread
02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Fooster/Big_Slash.gif

Fat Elvis
02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Fooster/Big_Slash.gif

Wocka wocka wocka.

(Go baby pacman)

Garcia Bronco
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
This is an old theory I read back in the 80's in Air & Space Magizine.. Pretty cool to consider, but we'll probably never know for sure.

HolyHandgernade
02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
The moon is also drifting slightly further away from us each year. A barely noticeable rate, though.

petegz28
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
The moon is also drifting slightly further away from us each year. A barely noticeable rate, though.

1 1/2 inches per year.

petegz28
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
This is an old theory I read back in the 80's in Air & Space Magizine.. Pretty cool to consider, but we'll probably never know for sure.

They have a pretty good idea based on the oxygen isotopes in the moonrock. How else would you have simlar on the moon as to what you have on Earth yet different everywhere else? Tha tbeing said, you are correct it is probably impossible to know for sure.

RedThat
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the information!

Interesting stuff. The moon does serve integral role in sustaining life on the planet. We should discuss about it more often.

morphius
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I've often wondered what part the moon played in the evolution of the Earth, and how drastically it moving further away effect Earth as a whole, not just the climate.

It is hard to say about the magnetic field, the axis and the length of a day though, because if there had been no collision the core could be less dense, could have less iron, could have cooled off much earlier. Plus the fact that Venus is roughly the same size and it takes over 200 Earth days for a single day. The fact is we could be well on our way to synchronous rotation with the sun.

petegz28
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I've often wondered what part the moon played in the evolution of the Earth, and how drastically it moving further away effect Earth as a whole, not just the climate.

It is hard to say about the magnetic field, the axis and the length of a day though, because if there had been no collision the core could be less dense, could have less iron, could have cooled off much earlier. Plus the fact that Venus is roughly the same size and it takes over 200 Earth days for a single day. The fact is we could be well on our way to synchronous rotation with the sun.

Intersting points. Based on what I have read\seen, etc., the Moon was at one point much closer to the Earth and thus we were spinning much faster. As the Moon tried\tries to slingshot away from the planet it eventually worked its way into the stabalizing position it has on our planet today. I am not sure what the core impacts were if there are any based on the collision. Vnus also rotates in the opposite direction as well. Very weird, indeed.

patteeu
02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
The Moon, the true giver of life???

Just to take a break from politics for a bit...

While democrats enjoy a political base filled with moonbats, Republicans have always been the pro-moon party.

:evil:

petegz28
02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
While democrats enjoy a political base filled with moonbats, Republicans have always been the pro-moon party.

:evil:

ROFL

morphius
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
I know the moon has slowed us down, but my question was more whether or not the collision with the mars sized object sped us up. I had forget that Venus spun the other way.

Of course the whole mars size object has always been what ticked me off about the new definition of a planet. Because for a mars sized object to be in our path means that we had not cleared out our orbit and therefore couldn't be considered a planet before the object hit us. While Venus didn't have to clear out said object, but was smaller than us, but could have been a planet and we would have been Earth a dwarf planet.

petegz28
02-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I know the moon has slowed us down, but my question was more whether or not the collision with the mars sized object sped us up. I had forget that Venus spun the other way.

Of course the whole mars size object has always been what ticked me off about the new definition of a planet. Because for a mars sized object to be in our path means that we had not cleared out our orbit and therefore couldn't be considered a planet before the object hit us. While Venus didn't have to clear out said object, but was smaller than us, but could have been a planet and we would have been Earth a dwarf planet.

Well, I think we were still a planet. Just another planet hit us. If it was a planet. I know that is what the speculation was. I guess it very well could have been a huge-ass rock as well but I suppose? Or, our gravity along with the Sun's pulled the other planet out of its early orbit and it smacked us. I mean afterall, our galaxy is on a collision course and will collide with the Andromeda galaxy. So I would guess this is probably a more common occurence among new solar systems.

Either way. When you take the moon into consideration with other things such as our distance from the Sun, the size of our sun, the size of our planet, etc., etc, it really does tell you just how much shit has to be in just the right place for life such as us to even exist. Just imagine if Jupiter went nuclear and became a second sun as some claim it was close to doing?

And look at Uranus who does always have one of it's poles pointed toward the solar system I believe some scientists have a theory that it was smacked by a large object (comet) which caused such a thing. Then again, it could just be a coincidence I guess.