PDA

View Full Version : Media Article on Olbermann

fan4ever
02-02-2010, 10:15 AM
"It ain't over until the fat lady sings."

The fat lady is doing more than singing for Keith Olbermann. And, like most of the other women in the life of MS-NBC's premiere leftist sexist, she's not interested in dating him. Rather, she merely wishes to see his well-padded bottom fade into the distance.

In sports broadcasting, where Olbermann worked for twenty years, the phrase -- picked up from opera -- signifies the end of the game, the last minutes when hope of revival is past and fans head for the exits. The viewers of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" have been heading for the exits for the past year as part of a general exodus from MS-NBC.

By the end of 2009, media observers were noting the "abysmal" state of Olbermann's ratings. And now the thirty-day moving average of ratings shows him steadily sinking as Bill O'Reilly leads the charge of FOX News to the top. The FOX blowout of Keith and friends during the State of the Union this past week prompted National Review to ask, "[A]t what point does MSDNC pull the plug on its all-Left format?"

And so the fat lady is not just singing for Olbermann and MS-NBC: Rather, she is belting out an aria that rushes Katrina-like past the designer finery of Old Media grandees in the audience of Manhattan's Metropolitan Opera, rattles the Swarovski crystal chandeliers above their heads, hurtles across Central Park, and pierces the floor-to-ceiling windows of Olbermann's $4.2-million 40th-floor Trump Palace roost.

It is from here that Olbermann leads the progressive media battle on behalf of America's downtrodden, joined by neighboring New York Times staffers and mainstream media executives, fighting their self-described war on privilege from foxholes developed by Donald Trump. The various Trump Towers dotting upper Manhattan are, collectively, a progressive Pentagon, headquarters for the media war on Middle America...with Olbermann among the most polished of its brass.

...That is, until America began paying attention. The result: The audience of Countdown has sunk to roughly 20% of FOX News-viewers led by Bill O'Reilly. And now the fat lady is howling her delight as she joins a decades-long string of females in Keith's life -- beginning with his mother, who thought her son needed psychological help -- whose fist-bumps will come when he has exited their lives.

Olbermann does not like women, especially attractive and/or accomplished women. Nor is he particularly fond of men. He is forever the awkward, angry teenager of his high school days who mystified psychologists, the überdork whose cruel taunts of the athletes he covered as a sports broadcaster were legendary, even as he yearned to be thought of as the stud that covers studs. Give it up, a Philadelphia Inquirer sports columnist suggested after watching Olbermann ridicule the appearance of an overweight athlete. He noted that the hefty lefty is "so bloated he looks as if he swallowed Dan Patrick [his ESPN co-anchor] back in 1997."

And so the venom drips, and the ratings sink. Olbermann is cruel to all who, as a class, have rejected him, such as joyful people and women...or people of faith and women...or people with traditional marriages and women...and those with well-adjusted relationships and women. Did I mention women?

Women are anathema to Olbermann. He delights in demeaning them, and the more attractive or accomplished they are, the more malicious he gets. Conservative Congresswoman Michelle Bachman, who relishes her role as policymaker and mother, is a frequent object of his anger; columnist Michelle Malkin is a "big mashed up bag of meat with lipstick" because of her intelligence and traditional values; Sarah Palin is a moronic "Bush in a skirt"; and there's nothing wrong with Hillary Clinton -- who had the nerve to oppose Barack Obama in the Democrat primaries -- that a good beating won't cure.

Even MS-NBC is concerned The last-place cable network decided two years ago that Olbermanns "women problem" was costing it viewers and ordered him to find -- and not beat -- his inner woman. His inner woman turned out to be Martha Stewart, on whose show he baked a cake, savaged Sarah Palin, and extolled the virtues of gay marriage -- all of which did nothing for his mushrooming gender gap.

Meanwhile, Olbermann's personal problems with women -- including his mother -- are legion and well-publicized. Never married, he is a 51-year-old eggplant of a man whose dates begin and end with the first. His romantic failures have even played out in the pages of the New York Post, which has since taken down the Page Six item that peeked in his bedroom and described him as "boorish," declaring that "Keith Gets Low Ratings in Bed."

And the gossip sites had a field day with his newest girlfriend, a twenty-five-year-old California girl he brought to New York, insisting that the on-air job he arranged for her through NBC had nothing to do with her decision to join him in the Trump Palace.

Sex and the Single Olbermann. What is it about this confused man and women...and men, for that matter? If Sigmund Freud were not white and dead, he might be invited by MS-NBC to consult. Odd, isn't it? Hostile towards women, issues with his mother, oft-expressed rage over conventional male/female relationships, serially simpatico with Village Voice critic Michael Musto (of "Michael Musto's Gay Chelsea" fame). As his former colleagues at ESPN often say about an athlete's inappropriate behavior, "Aw, c'mon, man!" And so ratings give way to rage.

Rage. When Olbermann left ESPN, "he didn't burn bridges here -- he napalmed them," as one male colleague described it. And when co-anchor Suzy Kolber attracted attention for her stylish sports reporting, a jealous Olbermann attacked her with such venom that she simply sat down and cried.

Rage. Massachusetts elected "a bad joke" in Senator Scott Brown, "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against woman and against politicians with whom he disagrees." Even an MS-NBC colleague recognized Olbermann for what he has become -- "sad and pathetic" -- while New Yorker magazine, which sympathizes with his politics and whose executives participate in life at Trump Towers, headlined its profile of him "One Angry Man."

The Fat Lady Sings for Keith Olbermann
By Stuart Schwartz

In the end and in Olbermann's eyes, life is what it has always been: hostile. The viewers are disappearing, and all that remains is a Krakatoa of rage, of poisons spewing forth from a shell of a man on a shriveled network into the homes of a shrinking audience.

And he reacts as always with howls of rage, the chief wannabe on the wannabe network: I wannabe an athlete, I wannabe a power, I wannabe a stud, I wannabe Bill O'Reilly, I wannabe loved, I wannabe the center of attention...a deranged diva who has yet to decide whether his jockstrap is half-empty or half-full.

Stuart H. Schwartz is on the faculty at Liberty University in Virginia.
69 Comments on "The Fat Lady Sings for Keith Olbermann"

Chief Faithful
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Wow! Nobody deserves a hit piece like that, but it was funny.

RNR
02-02-2010, 10:45 AM

He does~

blaise
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't mind attacking him for his opinions or his ratings, but I don't really get much from the anti-woman thing. Not that I feel bad for him, he'd be the first person to use stories by ex-girlfriends to bash people he doesn't like.
I mostly don't like him because he seems incredibly hypocritical. He's the same thing he rants about. He must know that on some level.

Chief Faithful
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
He does~

I have to admit I had way too much fun reading that article. His style of reporting turns me off be it conservative or liberal. That is the very reason I don't like listening to Hannity or Maddow, although Hannity has good guests on his show.

petegz28
02-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I have to admit I had way too much fun reading that article. His style of reporting turns me off be it conservative or liberal. That is the very reason I don't like listening to Hannity or Maddow, although Hannity has good guests on his show.

Hannity at least always brings on people with a differing opinion. Olberman simply won't.

fan4ever
02-02-2010, 11:28 AM
To me it was like the author was channeling Olbermann in order to write an article about Olbermann . . . what's good for the goose?

petegz28
02-02-2010, 11:30 AM
To me it was like the author was channeling Olbermann in order to write an article about Olbermann . . . what's good for the goose?

Olberman deserves whatever he gets. He asks for it. He is a loudmouth that can't provide anything close to a civil debate on his show.

fan4ever
02-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Olberman deserves whatever he gets. He asks for it. He is a loudmouth that can't provide anything close to a civil debate on his show.

I thought the part where his mom supposedly wanted him to get psychiatric help was interesting.

ROYC75
02-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Oberman & MSNBC = Epic Fail.

BigRedChief
02-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Olberman deserves whatever he gets. He asks for it. He is a loudmouth that can't provide anything close to a civil debate on his show.Same for Hannity and Beck.

Brock
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Same for Hannity and Beck.

That's all you've got?

NewChief
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
His case for Olberman's misogyny is pretty thin. I suppose that any conservative who makes fun of Sotomayor and Nancy Pelosi is also a woman hater. That being said, Olberman's ratings speak for themselves. It's been proven (the Air America experiment) that liberal shock jock windbags don't succeed like conservative, for whatever reason.

T-post Tom
02-02-2010, 11:44 AM
ROFL From a blog whose creator came up with this:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/sarah%20of%20Liberty.jpg

NewChief
02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
ROFL From a blog whose creator came with this:

Yeah, American Thinker has to be one of the most ironically titled websites ever.

ChiefaRoo
02-02-2010, 11:53 AM

Sure he does. Olbermann is a Uber Douche. He makes Ari look like Ghandi.

ROYC75
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM

The problem is 2 of them has a fan base at the top level, the other one is in the toilet.

Pretty simple to see, at least for you, right ?

ChiefaRoo
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Not really.

The Mad Crapper
02-02-2010, 12:02 PM
His case for Olberman's misogyny is pretty thin. I suppose that any conservative who makes fun of Sotomayor and Nancy Pelosi is also a woman hater.

No, Sotomayor and Pelousi are dogs; the article says Olbie hates good looking women.

fan4ever
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
ROFL From a blog whose creator came up with this:

Whether you like or dislike American Thinker, I'd say Olbermann's numbers are tanking...wouldn't you? And it has a lot to do with his foaming at the mouth?

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
What is the Right's obsession with Keith Olbermann??

DJ's left nut
02-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Hannity and Beck are completely different animals. It's like comparing Olbermann and Mathews.

Hannity and Olbermann are the same critter; pretty much vapid idealogues (though Olbermann is far more cruel and outright personal/petty in his attacks).

Beck and Matthews clearly have partisian leanings, but they both provide substance for people willing to look at it. Beck goes a bit beyond Matthews in that he will do some real investigative work in some areas.

I know you lefties can't stand it, but Beck is more than just a pon-pom waiver.

BigRedChief
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Hannity and Beck are completely different animals. It's like comparing Olbermann and Mathews.

Hannity and Olbermann are the same critter; pretty much vapid idealogues (though Olbermann is far more cruel and outright personal/petty in his attacks).

Beck and Matthews clearly have partisian leanings, but they both provide substance for people willing to look at it. Beck goes a bit beyond Matthews in that he will do some real investigative work in some areas.

I know you lefties can't stand it, but Beck is more than just a pon-pom waiver.
Beck is mentally unstable. The dude has some major issues.

fan4ever
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM

It was an article anticipating him soon to be off the air; if this were happening to one of the most prominent conservative talking heads, the liberal media would be interupting scheduled programming for the announcement.

blaise
Whether you like or dislike American Thinker, I'd say Olbermann's numbers are tanking...wouldn't you? And it has a lot to do with his foaming at the mouth?

It's mostly to do with him being a branch of the Obama presidential campaign all of last year, and basically being an on air shill for Obama during the campaign. If the presidential campaign is over there's not much point in having a campaign manager on the air every night. He doesn't have much use now. All he can do is go after Conservative politicians that the majority of Americans don't care much about, if they've even heard of them. That or keep going after Palin or Limbaugh over and over.
The only thing that would save his ratings would be if Obama lost the next election to a Republican.

fan4ever

...and what would you say of Olbermann...well grounded?

fan4ever
02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
It's mostly to do with him being a branch of the Obama presidential campaign all of last year, and basically being an on air shill for Obama during the campaign. If the presidential campaign is over there's not much point in having a campaign manager on the air every night. He doesn't have much use now. All he can do is go after Conservative politicians that the majority of Americans don't care much about, if they've even heard of them. That or keep going after Palin or Limbaugh over and over.
The only thing that would save his ratings would be if Obama lost the next election to a Republican.

Maybe he and Sheehan can co-host a show on another network.

blaise
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM

I know, it's almost 1/100th as much as the left's obsession with FOX news.

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I enjoy watching FOX news. It brightens my day.

blaise
02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I enjoy watching FOX news. It brightens my day.

That's too bad that you need it for that. I would have thought all the hope from the Obama election could have carried people longer.
Maybe another Obama March Madness bracket will cheer you up soon.

The Mad Crapper
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
That's too bad that you need it for that. I would have thought all the hope from the Obama election could have carried people longer.

B.O. is in New Hampshire this afternoon--- I shit you not--- having a townhall meeting.

ROFL

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM

You're saddened I find happiness in TV programming? You should really get out more my friend.

blaise
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
You're saddened I find happiness in TV programming? You should really get out more my friend.

I should get out because you find happiness inside your home watching TV?

Radar Chief
02-02-2010, 12:30 PM

What’s the left’s obsession with Beck, Hannity? :shrug:

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I should get out because you find happiness inside your home watching TV?

You've got a negative attitude blaise. That's what's stopping you.

DJ's left nut
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM

He's melodramatic.

But that doesn't mean you ignore the substance of what he presents.

He brings some very alarming issues to light.

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:31 PM
What’s the left’s obsession with Beck, Hannity? :shrug:

I thought it was Saul Alinsky.

Isn't he handling the Fisher account?

Radar Chief
02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I thought it was Saul Alinsky.

Isn't he handling the Fisher account?

:shrug: Was Alinsky brought up in a topic about Olberman until now?

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM

You know what Radar, maybe you should try a lithium or a diet coke. A little caffeine might get you out of this slump.

NewChief
02-02-2010, 12:37 PM

I think he was going for some crossthread humor:
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222741

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM

NewPhin, your compliment was sufficient.

blaise
02-02-2010, 12:44 PM
You've got a negative attitude blaise. That's what's stopping you.

It's true. I'm going to order some Obama commemorative election plates and try and recapture the hope.

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
It's true. I'm going to order some Obama commemorative election plates and try and recapture the hope.

I ordered mine last year from Jean-Paul Gautier.

Where do you tan?

blaise
02-02-2010, 12:50 PM
I ordered mine last year from Jean-Paul Gautier.

Where do you tan?

In the rays of Obama's glow, mostly.

L.A. Chieffan
02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
In the rays of Obama's glow, mostly.

Interesting. I have an official Glenn Beck tanning bed. Just mention health care and instantly receive 1000w of ultra-violet rays. You should look into it.

Radar Chief
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Not that it matters but I figured as much.

Radar Chief
02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
You know what Radar, maybe you should try a lithium or a diet coke. A little caffeine might get you out of this slump.

No “slump” here, I'm laughing that the “left's” response to an article pointing out Olberman’s failure is basically, “Oh yea, well Beck and Hannity suck worse :cuss:.”
Then you come along with “what’s the ‘rights’ obsession with” and I thought it made for a nice little segue. :shrug:

Calcountry
02-02-2010, 01:15 PM
"It ain't over until the fat lady sings."

The fat lady is doing more than singing for Keith Olbermann. And, like most of the other women in the life of MS-NBC's premiere leftist sexist, she's not interested in dating him. Rather, she merely wishes to see his well-padded bottom fade into the distance.

In sports broadcasting, where Olbermann worked for twenty years, the phrase -- picked up from opera -- signifies the end of the game, the last minutes when hope of revival is past and fans head for the exits. The viewers of "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" have been heading for the exits for the past year as part of a general exodus from MS-NBC.

By the end of 2009, media observers were noting the "abysmal" state of Olbermann's ratings. And now the thirty-day moving average of ratings shows him steadily sinking as Bill O'Reilly leads the charge of FOX News to the top. The FOX blowout of Keith and friends during the State of the Union this past week prompted National Review to ask, "[A]t what point does MSDNC pull the plug on its all-Left format?"

And so the fat lady is not just singing for Olbermann and MS-NBC: Rather, she is belting out an aria that rushes Katrina-like past the designer finery of Old Media grandees in the audience of Manhattan's Metropolitan Opera, rattles the Swarovski crystal chandeliers above their heads, hurtles across Central Park, and pierces the floor-to-ceiling windows of Olbermann's $4.2-million 40th-floor Trump Palace roost.

It is from here that Olbermann leads the progressive media battle on behalf of America's downtrodden, joined by neighboring New York Times staffers and mainstream media executives, fighting their self-described war on privilege from foxholes developed by Donald Trump. The various Trump Towers dotting upper Manhattan are, collectively, a progressive Pentagon, headquarters for the media war on Middle America...with Olbermann among the most polished of its brass.

...That is, until America began paying attention. The result: The audience of Countdown has sunk to roughly 20% of FOX News-viewers led by Bill O'Reilly. And now the fat lady is howling her delight as she joins a decades-long string of females in Keith's life -- beginning with his mother, who thought her son needed psychological help -- whose fist-bumps will come when he has exited their lives.

Olbermann does not like women, especially attractive and/or accomplished women. Nor is he particularly fond of men. He is forever the awkward, angry teenager of his high school days who mystified psychologists, the überdork whose cruel taunts of the athletes he covered as a sports broadcaster were legendary, even as he yearned to be thought of as the stud that covers studs. Give it up, a Philadelphia Inquirer sports columnist suggested after watching Olbermann ridicule the appearance of an overweight athlete. He noted that the hefty lefty is "so bloated he looks as if he swallowed Dan Patrick [his ESPN co-anchor] back in 1997."

And so the venom drips, and the ratings sink. Olbermann is cruel to all who, as a class, have rejected him, such as joyful people and women...or people of faith and women...or people with traditional marriages and women...and those with well-adjusted relationships and women. Did I mention women?

Women are anathema to Olbermann. He delights in demeaning them, and the more attractive or accomplished they are, the more malicious he gets. Conservative Congresswoman Michelle Bachman, who relishes her role as policymaker and mother, is a frequent object of his anger; columnist Michelle Malkin is a "big mashed up bag of meat with lipstick" because of her intelligence and traditional values; Sarah Palin is a moronic "Bush in a skirt"; and there's nothing wrong with Hillary Clinton -- who had the nerve to oppose Barack Obama in the Democrat primaries -- that a good beating won't cure.

Even MS-NBC is concerned The last-place cable network decided two years ago that Olbermanns "women problem" was costing it viewers and ordered him to find -- and not beat -- his inner woman. His inner woman turned out to be Martha Stewart, on whose show he baked a cake, savaged Sarah Palin, and extolled the virtues of gay marriage -- all of which did nothing for his mushrooming gender gap.

Meanwhile, Olbermann's personal problems with women -- including his mother -- are legion and well-publicized. Never married, he is a 51-year-old eggplant of a man whose dates begin and end with the first. His romantic failures have even played out in the pages of the New York Post, which has since taken down the Page Six item that peeked in his bedroom and described him as "boorish," declaring that "Keith Gets Low Ratings in Bed."

And the gossip sites had a field day with his newest girlfriend, a twenty-five-year-old California girl he brought to New York, insisting that the on-air job he arranged for her through NBC had nothing to do with her decision to join him in the Trump Palace.

Sex and the Single Olbermann. What is it about this confused man and women...and men, for that matter? If Sigmund Freud were not white and dead, he might be invited by MS-NBC to consult. Odd, isn't it? Hostile towards women, issues with his mother, oft-expressed rage over conventional male/female relationships, serially simpatico with Village Voice critic Michael Musto (of "Michael Musto's Gay Chelsea" fame). As his former colleagues at ESPN often say about an athlete's inappropriate behavior, "Aw, c'mon, man!" And so ratings give way to rage.

Rage. When Olbermann left ESPN, "he didn't burn bridges here -- he napalmed them," as one male colleague described it. And when co-anchor Suzy Kolber attracted attention for her stylish sports reporting, a jealous Olbermann attacked her with such venom that she simply sat down and cried.

Rage. Massachusetts elected "a bad joke" in Senator Scott Brown, "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against woman and against politicians with whom he disagrees." Even an MS-NBC colleague recognized Olbermann for what he has become -- "sad and pathetic" -- while New Yorker magazine, which sympathizes with his politics and whose executives participate in life at Trump Towers, headlined its profile of him "One Angry Man."

The Fat Lady Sings for Keith Olbermann
By Stuart Schwartz

In the end and in Olbermann's eyes, life is what it has always been: hostile. The viewers are disappearing, and all that remains is a Krakatoa of rage, of poisons spewing forth from a shell of a man on a shriveled network into the homes of a shrinking audience.

And he reacts as always with howls of rage, the chief wannabe on the wannabe network: I wannabe an athlete, I wannabe a power, I wannabe a stud, I wannabe Bill O'Reilly, I wannabe loved, I wannabe the center of attention...a deranged diva who has yet to decide whether his jockstrap is half-empty or half-full.

Stuart H. Schwartz is on the faculty at Liberty University in Virginia.
69 Comments on "The Fat Lady Sings for Keith Olbermann"SIR, you deserved every word of that, SIR!

I am on record here predicting this guys demise as soon as he no longer had Bush as a tuning fork for his hatred. The shtick only works with Bush. Perhaps if he starts hating on Obama he might get a temporary bump, but it won't last. Game over dude.

Calcountry
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
He is only topped by that smug, condescending, giddy little "I'm above it all" act that Rachael Madcow attempts on a nightly basis.

Calcountry
02-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe another Obama March Madness bracket will cheer you up soon.65 team or the new improved Keynesian version of 96?

Calcountry
02-02-2010, 01:21 PM
B.O. is in New Hampshire this afternoon--- I shit you not--- having a townhall meeting.

ROFLIs he explaining his economics to the students?

Chief Faithful
02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
He is only topped by that smug, condescending, giddy little "I'm above it all" act that Rachael Madcow attempts on a nightly basis.

Maddow is the most irritating,...or...maybe I just hate women same as Olberman.

Chief Faithful
02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Is he explaining his economics to the students?

The little bit I caught he was stumping hard for healthcare reform.

Velvet_Jones
02-02-2010, 03:01 PM

And Mathews has a leg that goes all Jimmy when Obamao speaks. Hell, Mathews had temporary blindness at the State of the Union address Obamao gave the other night.

Whats you point?

FishingRod
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Once upon a time I enjoyed him when he did sports. Now I find him to be on the same level as Katie Couric. It seems to me that the only way one could make these political shows somewhat entertaining would be if people of differing opinion were brought in to debate a topic and both speakers were placed in a sound proof booths where they could not be heard while the other is allowed to make their case. They way they do this now with two to four people talking over one another is just annoying

fan4ever
02-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Once upon a time I enjoyed him when he did sports.

Same here; that's what's actually sad. This guy was clever and witty and I enjoyed his sports commentary...and then, perhaps like the article said, he burned his bridges at ESPN. The guy is actually pretty talented. He's just seems consumed by his hate for the right.

Saul Good
02-02-2010, 07:51 PM

Maddow is nowhere near as bad as Olberman. She's just as liberal, but she's not hateful from what I've seen of her.

headsnap
02-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Olbermann can ruin an episode of The Soup!