PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Treasury says we will hit debt ceiling in FEB of 2010

petegz28
02-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Was reported this morning on Fox News. I have not looked for a link yet. I started this thread cause I could not correct my head-up-the-ass mistakes I made in the other thread title.

According to the Treasury, the Fed Gov will be the new debt ceiling recently approved by the Senate in Feb 2010.

Hydrae
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Was reported this morning on Fox News. I have not looked for a link yet. I started this thread cause I could not correct my head-up-the-ass mistakes I made in the other thread title.

According to the Treasury, the Fed Gov will be the new debt ceiling recently approved by the Senate in Feb 2010.

Basically, we are expecting to spend $1.9B this month? Unless we were past the ceiling before this.

petegz28
02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Basically, we are expecting to spend $1.9B this month? Unless we were past the ceiling before this.

$1.9 tril.

orange
02-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Treasury expects to hit debt ceiling in February

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(02-03) 08:51 PST , (AP) --

The Treasury Department said Wednesday that it expects to reach the government's limit on borrowing, known as the debt ceiling, by the end of this month. The debt ceiling is currently $12.4 trillion. The Senate has approved an increase to $14.3 trillion but the House has yet to act.

The Treasury also said:

_ It anticipates reducing its auctions of Treasury bonds, notes and other debt securities this year after increasing them for two years. Recent increases have enabled Treasury to fund this year's record deficit of $1.56 trillion, a Treasury official said.

_ The department will raise $81 billion in its quarterly refunding operation next week. That ties a record set last quarter for the largest quarterly auction.

_ In response to interest from investors, the department is considering increasing its auctions of inflation-indexed securities, known as TIPS, which are designed to compensate investors for rising inflation.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/03/financial/f085140S70.DTL&type=education#ixzz0eUpbFkjC

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/03/financial/f085140S70.DTL&type=education

It sounds like they're talking about the old one. The new ceiling the Senate passed isn't official yet, until the House passes it and the President signs.

petegz28
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM

The Treasury Department said Wednesday that it expects to reach the government's limit on borrowing, known as the debt ceiling, by the end of this month. The debt ceiling is currently $12.4 trillion. The Senate has approved an increase to $14.3 trillion but the House has yet to act.

The Treasury also said:

_ It anticipates reducing its auctions of Treasury bonds, notes and other debt securities this year after increasing them for two years. Recent increases have enabled Treasury to fund this year's record deficit of $1.56 trillion, a Treasury official said.

_ The department will raise $81 billion in its quarterly refunding operation next week. That ties a record set last quarter for the largest quarterly auction.

_ In response to interest from investors, the department is considering increasing its auctions of inflation-indexed securities, known as TIPS, which are designed to compensate investors for rising inflation.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/03/financial/f085140S70.DTL&type=education#ixzz0eUpbFkjC

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/02/03/financial/f085140S70.DTL&type=education

It sounds like they're talking about the old one. The new ceiling the Senate passed isn't official yet, until the House passes it and the President signs.

That would make more sense. The way it got reported, and it was just a blurb, it sounded as if they were hitting the new ceiling.

Hydrae
02-03-2010, 11:03 AM

The Treasury also said:

Thanks for the clarification, that makes much more sense.