PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama rips Republicans for 'obstruction'

Donger
02-03-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/03/obama.democrats/index.html?hpt=T2

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama tore into the Republican opposition on Capitol Hill Wednesday, blaming the GOP for what he called politically motivated opposition on virtually every issue.

Democrats have been willing to incorporate Republican ideas on health care and other issues, he said, but Republicans have not been willing to do the same.

Addressing a gathering of Senate Democrats, Obama promised to "call (Republicans) out when (Democrats) extend a hand and get a fist in return."

Several Democrats facing tough election fights this November were given time to ask the president questions on high-profile issues such as trade and deficit reduction. Much of the president's time, however, was used to lash out at GOP tactics.

Senate Republicans, he said, have tried to employ the filibuster more over the past year than in all of the 1950s and 1960s combined. The GOP's strategy has been "20 years of obstruction packed into one," he said.

"If you want to govern, you can't just say no," he argued. "It can't be about just scoring points." The filibuster, he added, only works as intended if there is a "genuine spirit of compromise."

The president's tough rhetoric was part of a more aggressive -- and frequently populist -- White House strategy in the wake of the Democrats' recent upset loss in the Massachusetts Senate race. GOP Sen.-elect Scott Brown's victory stripped Democrats of their 60-seat Senate supermajority and raised fears among many congressional Democrats about a potential GOP landslide in the upcoming midterm elections.

The Democratic answer to the Massachusetts Senate race should not be "to do nothing" in Congress, he said. Nervous constituents want to see legislative progress, he asserted.

"We should do more, and we should do so without delay," he said.

Obama cited several examples of what he said was GOP legislative maneuvering motivated purely by political considerations. Among other things, he raised the recent example of seven GOP senators who backed a bill establishing a bipartisan deficit reduction commission, but then turned against it when the proposal came to a vote.

He also noted that a large number of bills have been subjected to Republican-led filibusters, only to receive 85 or 90 votes once the filibuster is broken and the legislation is allowed to move to a final vote.

I'm "not open to switches" solely "because it's good short-term politics," he said. I won't tolerate an "if you lose, I win" mentality.

Obama urged Senate Democrats to stop listening to what he called politically oriented cable television shows on networks such as CNN and MSNBC, and instead get out of the Washington "echo chamber."

Most people "don't care about majorities and minorities and process," he said. They just want to know if their elected representatives are "delivering for me."

The president warned fellow Democrats that the public is often misinformed on key issues such as budget deficits. Many constituents will cite foreign aid or legislative earmarks when discussing ways to reduce spending, he said, when in reality those items constitute a minuscule share of federal spending.

Balancing the budget while refusing to raise taxes and exempting entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare would require 60 percent cuts in virtually every other program, and "that's just not going to happen," he said.

Noting that Bill Clinton left office with budget surpluses, Obama asserted that Democrats "should have credibility" on the deficit issue. But the party is "still haunted" by debates from the 1960s and '70s when the party was stuck with the "tax and spend" label, he said.

Brock
02-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Somebody didn't get the memo.

Donger
02-03-2010, 11:20 AM
What I find amusing is that Obama seems to think that obstruction of the Democrats' agenda is a bad thing.

dirk digler
02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Donger you are retarded

Taco John
02-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Grid lock baby!

Obama might just be the best president in a few decades if this scorched earth stuff keeps up! :)

Brock
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Donger you are retarded

He probably is, but in this case he's also quite right.

Royal Fanatic
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Hmmm. I wonder why Senate Republicans have tried to employ the filibuster more over the past year than in all of the 1950s and 1960s combined?

Could it be because the legislation that the Left is trying to cram down everybody's throats is retarded?

petegz28
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry, show me where they needed 1 Repub vote??? What have the Repubs filibustered? Oh yea, NOTHING! Cause they fucking can't!

dirk digler
He probably is, but in this case he's also quite right.

Donger is never right even when he is right...but he always will be retarded

fan4ever
Obama really is smarter than everyone else - no one understands his agenda; not fellow politicians, the media, and certainly not the electorate.

Man we're stupid.

petegz28
02-03-2010, 11:32 AM
How, Mr. Obama, did President Clinton get the budget balanced? Wouldn't have had anything to do with Republcians would it????

dirk digler
02-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Sorry, show me where they needed 1 Repub vote??? What have the Repubs filibustered? Oh yea, NOTHING! Cause they fucking can't!

I don't know about any particluar bill but a Republicans have been holding up alot of nominations and that is because 1 Senator can place a hold on the nominee.

For example David Vitter held the nomination for FEMA Chief for months because of some personal issue. It is stupid.

Donger
02-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Donger you are retarded

Because I find it amusing is that Obama seems to think that obstruction of the Democrats' agenda is a bad thing?

Brock
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
I don't know about any particluar bill but a Republicans have been holding up alot of nominations and that is because 1 Senator can place a hold on the nominee.

For example David Vitter held the nomination for FEMA Chief for months because of some personal issue. It is stupid.

A democrat would never do such a thing.

dirk digler
02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Because I find it amusing is that Obama seems to think that obstruction of the Democrats' agenda is a bad thing?

No you are just in general a retard.

A democrat would never do such a thing.

I know. ;)

HonestChieffan
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
His inexperience is showing. And he is no doubt feeling his support on the democrat side slip away.

He cannot govern by lashing out and always pointing fingers at his next boogy man.

Weakness in politics is like blood in the water in shark areas.

Chief Faithful
02-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Hmmm. I wonder why Senate Republicans have tried to employ the filibuster more over the past year than in all of the 1950s and 1960s combined?

Could it be because the legislation that the Left is trying to cram down everybody's throats is retarded?

How did the Republican's filibuster with 40 votes? They may have stood united against the legislation, but they were incapable of the filibuster. How did they accomplish the filibuster they were incapable of more times over the past year then in all of the 1950's and 1960's combined?

Obama plays the victim more than Nixon did in the 1960's and 1970's combined.

dirk digler
02-03-2010, 12:32 PM
His inexperience is showing. And he is no doubt feeling his support on the democrat side slip away.

He cannot govern by lashing out and always pointing fingers at his next boogy man.

retard

Chief Faithful
02-03-2010, 12:37 PM

That is the real issue, his own base is crumbling such that without Republican support DC is going to gridlock. I can't wait to see how he is going to garner Republican support while continuing blaming them for all things wrong and evil.

Obama is making things real easy for the Republicans in these coming mid-term elections.

notorious
02-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Obama is making things real easy for the Republicans in these mid-term elections.

This.

Unless they try to blame it on bad campaigns again ROFL.

I just hope that the Republicans don't see this huge swing the same way the Democrats did and go wild on their agendas.

Just step back and get the **** out of the American People's way.

Chief Faithful
02-03-2010, 12:44 PM
This.

Unless they try to blame it on bad campaigns again ROFL.

I just hope that the Republicans don't see this huge swing the same way the Democrats did and go wild on their agendas.

Just step back and get the **** out of the American Public's way.

The government worked well when the Republicans owned Congress with a Liberal in the White House. That kind of balance seems to prevent the kind of thievery that takes place when one party has both Congress and the Executive Branch.

Royal Fanatic
02-03-2010, 12:52 PM
How did the Republican's filibuster with 40 votes? They may have stood united against the legislation, but they were incapable of the filibuster. How did they accomplish the filibuster they were incapable of more times over the past year then in all of the 1950's and 1960's combined?

Obama plays the victim more than Nixon did in the 1960's and 1970's combined.
I assume you are saying that the Republicans had to have help from a Democrat or an independent in order to filibuster. Agreed.

My point was that Obama DESERVED to have his legislation filibustered.

Chief Faithful
02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I assume you are saying that the Republicans had to have help from a Democrat or an independent in order to filibuster. Agreed.

My point was that Obama DESERVED to have his legislation filibustered.

Exactly, any filibuster was a bi-partisan effort.

blaise
02-03-2010, 12:58 PM
It can't be true. I remember how people said, after the election, that the Republican party was now dead.

Rooster
02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
What I find amusing is that Obama seems to think that obstruction of the Democrats' agenda is a bad thing.

My thoughts exactly.

Calcountry
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Reagan had the same problem with a Democrat controlled congress back in the 80's. There was one teensy weensy difference then, the American people were on REAGAN's side on the issue. The American people are AGAINST Obama's agenda.

Big difference there dude. Just because you got 52 % of the vote, doesn't give you the right to be our king.

Calcountry
02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
It can't be true. I remember how people said, after the election, that the Republican party was now dead.The party of Rockefeller, McCain, and Bush IS DEAD.

BucEyedPea
02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
A lot of people are happy that Republicans are obstructing.

bkkcoh
02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
How, Mr. Obama, did President Clinton get the budget balanced? Wouldn't have had anything to do with Republcians would it????

Naw, the executive branches responsibility is to submit the spending bills in congress. All the congress has to do is rubber stamp them!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Inspector
02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm not a real pro at politics or anything - obviously - but why would the president be mad at anyone or rip anyone for protecting Americans? Isn't that sort of what they are supposed to be doing? This doesn't make sense to me.

blaise
02-03-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not a real pro at politics or anything - obviously - but why would the president be mad at anyone or rip anyone for protecting Americans? Isn't that sort of what they are supposed to be doing? This doesn't make sense to me.

I think it's time we sent you to Hope Camp. Please gather all your papers for examination.

jjjayb
02-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Wasn't Mr. Hope and change supposed to be the great uniter? ROFL

Inspector
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I think it's time we sent you to Hope Camp. Please gather all your papers for examination.

I'll go if it's co-ed.

But I do get scared of some of those counselors after what happened that one time........

Oh wait, that was band camp.

Chief Faithful
02-03-2010, 02:58 PM

The Republicans and Democrats are more united than ever only in a partisan sense.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Obstruction, or loyal opposition? Depends on who you ask and when... :shrug:

It all depends on which party is evaluating....situation was reversed during W's second term; the shoe is now on the other foot.

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 05:53 PM

I thought that was the great untier?

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I thought that was the great untier?

Are you referring to Obama....or W? Because both made rhetorical claims, yet neither paid much more than lip-service. Gosh, color me shocked.

:rolleyes:

|Zach|
02-03-2010, 09:48 PM
The party of Rockefeller, McCain, and Bush IS DEAD.

Replaced by...

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Are you referring to Obama....or W? Because both made rhetorical claims, yet neither paid much more than lip-service. Gosh, color me shocked.

:rolleyes:

I was referring to the most current untier. The other one is history and not an impact on the country.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I was referring to the most current untier. The other one is history and not an impact on the country.

R U really this confused??? :spock:

LMAO

jjjayb
02-03-2010, 09:59 PM

How can you say he's not an impact on the country? Ask Obama. Every time something bad happens it's still Bushes fault.

ClevelandBronco
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Nervous constituents want to see legislative progress

I'm plenty nervous and Pres. Obama's brand of progress is the last thing I want to see.

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 10:04 PM
R U really this confused??? :spock:

LMAO

What is Bush doing now that has any impact on the workings of the country?

Obama is not uniting anyone.

Norman Einstein
02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
How can you say he's not an impact on the country? Ask Obama. Every time something bad happens it's still Bushes fault.

I know Obama needs someone to point at, but George has been very absent since leaving office.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2010, 10:08 PM
What is Bush doing now that has any impact on the workings of the country?

Obama is not uniting anyone.

And, then (during W's years,) you'd have been still blaming Clinton for disharmony in oh, 2003 or 2004.

Don't lie. Hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Guru
02-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Weakness in politics is like blood in the water in shark areas.This is all we are going to hear about until November in his attempt to keep congress under dem control. Say it enough times and voters will start to believe it.

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Replaced by...

Ron Paul, and the Libertarian Party....bro. :thumb:

Can't you see BEP and TJ....leading patty, bunnytrdr, and the band of true-believers down the Avenue?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9L3uE3xKnt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9L3uE3xKnt0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
02-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Ron Paul, and the Libertarian Party....bro. :thumb:

Can't you see BEP and TJ....leading patty, bunnytrdr, and the band of true-believers down the Avenue?

>

Once again, I'm not a libertarian. I am a conservative. Old right conservative.
At least I'm not a commie, that calls other members of my party commies while wanting some commie things.ROFL

Mr. Kotter
02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Once again, I'm not a libertarian. I am a conservative. Old right conservative.
At least I'm not a commie, that calls other members of my party commies while wanting some commie things.ROFL

Whatever, CINO.... Ron Paul/Lew Rockwell sycophant. :rolleyes:

Norman Einstein
02-04-2010, 04:21 AM
And, then (during W's years,) you'd have been still blaming Clinton for disharmony in oh, 2003 or 2004.

Don't lie. Hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Your response had nothing to do with the quoted post, where did you pull that line of thinking? Out of your ass?

Are you crazy? Was Clinton out stumping for the democrats party after he was out of office? He was? Why would anyone say anything about him for that? :rolleyes:

What has Bush done after he left the WH in January of 2009? He has been quiet. The only time you hear his name is when Obat and the Obots are blaming him for the current situation. He has not been outspoken.

Also, during the Bush years there were all of the liberal Obot wannabe's here crabbing about everything he did.

Your need to get a reality pill and quit making shit up dude. Are you a closet Obot?