PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Yamaha Subwoofers

gblowfish
02-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Anybody own one of these?
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200489&CTID=5003300

Looked at Polk and Infinity. They both make 8" 150 watt subs but got this one for about $20 more, it's a 10" down firing (good so cats won't scratch the grill) and is 250 watts.

Anybody own one of these? I've had Yamaha amps and some Yamaha reference monitors in past years and have had good luck with their stuff.

How bout you?

This will match up with Infinity Primus speakers for a 7.1 surround sound in a small den. Should be plenty of punch.

gblowfish
02-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Nobody?
Buehler?
Buehler????

RedandGold
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
At the price point where that Yamaha falls (~$300), it's a fair value on paper compared to what you would get from Mirage, Velodyne, Infinity, Polk, etc.

Just speaking personally, if that was close to my budget, I'd go for either this offering from Hsu Research:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

or look for some open/b-stock from a company like SVS or av123:

http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=476&category_id=16&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

If you haven't purchased it already, either of these would reach go lower than the Yamaha (especially the open stock sub above) and would give you cleaner bass.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a Yamaha YS-8 150 watt sub that I use as a second sub along with a bigger Mirage 10" sub.

It's been a good sub, especially given that I got it for 100 bucks at a BB 4 years ago.

gblowfish
02-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I only paid $180 for the Yamaha, and this is for a small room, so I think that's a pretty good buy. The Infinity Sub that would match my other Infinity speakers was 8" 150 watts, and this one is 10" 250 watts. I was also looking for a down firing, small footprint unit, and this meets that requirement. So, the Yamaha should work out OK. I've always had good luck with their amps. Thanks for the input guys. Hamas always has good audio advice.

Baby Lee
02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Subwoofers are the place where I get picky. I don't need a 'boom box,' but then my front mains output clean down to 24 Hz. A subwoofer should deliver clean output down to or as near as $$ possible to 20Hz, not a muddy thump like you're blasting neighborhood from your 64 Impala. Go with the HSU's, SVS's who do that job well and forget about cheap fart machines.

TrebMaxx
02-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I have Infinity's center, front, rear and sub powered by Onkyo. Yamaha is a good product though. I still have my setup, Yamaha Amp and Pre-amp hooked up to Bose 911's, that I bought while in the service over 20 years ago. I don't use it much anymore but the Yamaha stuff still works. When I get to build my man cave that system is going back into service.

gblowfish
02-08-2010, 03:57 PM
I just bought another pair of Polk Bookshelfs for rear fills (R15s). Got a pair on E-bay delivered for about $60.
So I'll have:
Infinity Primus P162 fronts,
Infinity P250 Center
The Polk R15 for Rear
Yamaha Sub

Run 5.1 surround out of a new Denon Amp that can do 7.1, but that's overkill for a bedroom. Should be kickin!

I have all Polk Stuff on my living room system. I've had Polk speakers for years and love them. I also have some old Yamaha NS10's that still work but are pretty beat up. They're probably 30 years old. I've had nothing but good luck with Yamaha amps over the years. Use Mackie stuff with my Mac for audio editing.