PDA

View Full Version : Environment RFK. Jr. 15 months ago: Global warming means no snow or cold in DC

petegz28
02-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who flies around on private planes so as to tell larger numbers of people how they must live their lives in order to save the planet, wrote a column last year on the lack of winter weather in Washington, D.C.

In Virginia, the weather also has changed dramatically. Recently arrived residents in the northern suburbs, accustomed to today's anemic winters, might find it astonishing to learn that there were once ski runs on Ballantrae Hill in McLean, with a rope tow and local ski club. Snow is so scarce today that most Virginia children probably don't own a sled. But neighbors came to our home at Hickory Hill nearly every winter weekend to ride saucers and Flexible Flyers.

In those days, I recall my uncle, President Kennedy, standing erect as he rode a toboggan in his top coat, never faltering until he slid into the boxwood at the bottom of the hill. Once, my father, Atty. Gen. Robert Kennedy, brought a delegation of visiting Eskimos home from the Justice Department for lunch at our house. They spent the afternoon building a great igloo in the deep snow in our backyard. My brothers and sisters played in the structure for several weeks before it began to melt. On weekend afternoons, we commonly joined hundreds of Georgetown residents for ice skating on Washington's C&O Canal, which these days rarely freezes enough to safely skate.

Meanwhile, Exxon Mobil and its carbon cronies continue to pour money into think tanks whose purpose is to deceive the American public into believing that global warming is a fantasy.

Having shoveled my walk five times in the midst of this past weekend's extreme cold and blizzard, I think perhaps RFK, Jr. should leave weather analysis to the meteorologists instead of trying to attribute every global phenomenon to anthropogenic climate change.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/RFK-79834057.html#ixzz0esQCrZHC

penchief
02-07-2010, 01:20 PM
The wierd part about it is that all the snow that we usually get on the NY/PA border is hitting below us. This is the second huge storm that hit the DC area that usually hits us. And both times we didn't get a flake. Very strange. Seems to me that the weather pattern that usually brings us snow is running farther south than normal.

googlegoogle
02-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Nice ironic find.

Saul Good
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
The wierd part about it is that all the snow that we usually get on the NY/PA border is hitting below us. This is the second huge storm that hit the DC area that usually hits us. And both times we didn't get a flake. Very strange. Seems to me that the weather pattern that usually brings us snow is running farther south than normal.

That's because of global warming.

max sleeper
02-07-2010, 09:36 PM
A local church here in NW Arkansas put a few lines on the marquee sign out front saying "And this is global warming?" It was 2 weeks ago and the temps. had gotten down to -2 and there was some snow and a little ice. 7 days later the temp. hit 71 degrees and that day I came home for lunch and there were freaking honey bees out buzzing my front door in Mid. Jan?!? I called and asked what happened to the Global Warming sign? It is a Baptist church and the lady told me that the preacher had put that out on the sign and that global warming was a hoax! I let her know my views about the dramatic swings in the weather and many examples of climate change. I told her that he should stick to the bible teaching and not keep listening to the talking heads on the radio/TV. She.... in a not so Christian way told me to mind my own business and hung up on me! The local paper had taken a photo of the sign and then posted it in the paper the day after it hit 71 degrees! :):)

Saul Good
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
A local church here in NW Arkansas put a few lines on the marquee sign out front saying "And this is global warming?" It was 2 weeks ago and the temps. had gotten down to -2 and there was some snow and a little ice. 7 days later the temp. hit 71 degrees and that day I came home for lunch and there were freaking honey bees out buzzing my front door in Mid. Jan?!? I called and asked what happened to the Global Warming sign? It is a Baptist church and the lady told me that the preacher had put that out on the sign and that global warming was a hoax! I let her know my views about the dramatic swings in the weather and many examples of climate change. I told her that he should stick to the bible teaching and not keep listening to the talking heads on the radio/TV. She.... in a not so Christian way told me to mind my own business and hung up on me! The local paper had taken a photo of the sign and then posted it in the paper the day after it hit 71 degrees! :):)

Awesome story. You should let the IPCC know about it. Chances are, that church will be predicted to be under water due to glacial melting come 2035 in their next report.

NewChief
02-07-2010, 10:07 PM

You up in Eureka Springs? Saw that Kings River is your location.

petegz28
02-07-2010, 10:12 PM

I bet you are just a ray of sunshine to be around. Meanwhile just about every country is pulling away from the IPCC.

morphius
02-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Here is another new story, saying we don't even understand yet how the climate is effected by changes in our orbit...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100205091825.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

petegz28
02-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Here is another new story, saying we don't even understand yet how the climate is effected by changes in our orbit...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100205091825.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Oh come on! You mean the changes in the Earth's orbit would effect our weather? That would also lead one to conclude that the placement of our solar system relative to the rotation and movement of our galaxy might effect such too.

It sounds way to scientific to me. I think it is easier to just blame people with SUV's and leaky windows.

max sleeper
02-07-2010, 11:57 PM
You up in Eureka Springs? Saw that Kings River is your location.

NE of Eureka Springs about 7 miles. We live on the MO/AR border on the AR side. Walleye spawn is about to start on the Kings males are moving up the river. Is that the White River in you avatar? Nice fish!

NewChief
02-08-2010, 04:24 AM
NE of Eureka Springs about 7 miles. We live on the MO/AR border on the AR side. Walleye spawn is about to start on the Kings males are moving up the river. Is that the White River in you avatar? Nice fish!

Love that area! Got married in Eureka and some of my best friends live up there. I usually go up and work the Xterra Offroad Tri at Lake Leatherwood because one of my best friends from college puts the event on.

That's actually the Big Hole in Montana, but I fish the White every chance I get (not nearly enough).

max sleeper
02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Love that area! Got married in Eureka and some of my best friends live up there. I usually go up and work the Xterra Offroad Tri at Lake Leatherwood because one of my best friends from college puts the event on.

That's actually the Big Hole in Montana, but I fish the White every chance I get (not nearly enough).

Are you talking about Nick C. as the one putting on the Xterra?

banyon
02-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Weird. "Rare or scarce" = "No" or "never". Yet another post about the climate that mistakes singular instance when someone is talking about trends.

petegz28
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Weird. "Rare or scarce" = "No" or "never". Yet another post about the climate that mistakes singular instance when someone is talking about trends.

Yea, the trend for since 2000 (roughly) of temperature is down....

banyon
02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Yea, the trend for since 2000 of temperature is down....

Since 2000? Really?

petegz28
02-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Since 2000? Really?

I said roughly.....I posted several charts on that in one of the other global warming threads. Feel free to hunt them down.

banyon
02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I said roughly.....I posted several charts on that in one of the other global warming threads. Feel free to hunt them down.

I guess you are under the impression that I agreed with you that we should measure planet-wide climactic changes on a intra-decade basis.

petegz28
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
I guess you are under the impression that I agreed with you that we should measure planet-wide climactic changes on a intra-decade basis.

Well if that is the case, banyon, the planet has been warmer than we are now, back in the medieval days I believe it was. And if you look at it in detail, we are barely out of an ice age. And if temps continue to drop we are heading back into an ice age.

Contrary to the IPCC and their well respected analysis.

petegz28
02-08-2010, 10:06 PM
http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/PageMill_Images/image158.gif

banyon
02-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Well if that is the case, banyon, the planet has been warmer than we are now, back in the medieval days I believe it was. And if you look at it in detail, we are barely out of an ice age. And if temps continue to drop we are heading back into an ice age.

Contrary to the IPCC and their well respected analysis.

It's good to know you are complacent with the status quo and so familiar with the details pete. It's like they have no argument at all. They must be insane! Strawman dunk for the FTW!

petegz28
02-08-2010, 10:41 PM
It's good to know you are complacent with the status quo and so familiar with the details pete. It's like they have no argument at all. They must be insane! Strawman dunk for the FTW!

Yea, all that manipulated data should convince me, shouldn't it?