PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Anyone watch Undercover Boss?

luv
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I cried.

It's amazing what a difference putting yourself in someone else's shoes makes. Also, what a difference it makes when you realize how your decisions affect others.

NewChief
02-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I did. I was going to start a thread on it. Bullshit, staged reality TV (I mean, when the girl came out and read a prepared letter about her waste collector coincidentally on the day the waste collector's boss was riding with her... it's staged) ... but damn... it was still pretty good. I shed a tear or two myself.

Reaper16
02-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah! White man who daily reaps the benefits of capitalism in the form of his bloated salary made possible by the demeaning exploitation of other human beings sort of realizes it!

luv
02-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I did. I was going to start a thread on it. Bullshit, staged reality TV (I mean, when the girl came out and read a prepared letter about her waste collector coincidentally on the day the waste collector's boss was riding with her... it's staged) ... but damn... it was still pretty good. I shed a tear or two myself.

Yeah, that was the only part I thought was over the top.

luv
02-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Next week is Hooters. Should be interesting.

the Talking Can
02-07-2010, 09:27 PM
good thing the cameras don't signal that something is going on...totally normal day with a normal employee...

NewChief
02-07-2010, 09:30 PM
good thing the cameras don't signal that something is going on...totally normal day with a normal employee...

Yeah. When I watch reality TV, I always try to figure out WTF is the "reality." I mean, almost all these shows are some bullshit version of reality where it's presented one way, but the way it's really filmed is something altogether different.

What I figured they must have done for this one was tell the people that this guy was a reporter or a documentary producer who was filming on working class jobs and wanted to ride along with them. That would then provide them the "cover" of filming without the people actually knowing that the president of their company was working with them. It still doesn't make for a truly "undercover" experience.

Thig Lyfe
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I only had to watch the first 30 seconds, which summarized the entire show and removed any possible drama.

88TG88
02-07-2010, 09:32 PM
It was pretty good for a reality show.

Demonpenz
02-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I would have laid off a bunch of people after working with them, the workers looked old and could have been laid off and hire younger workers

Donger
02-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah! White man who daily reaps the benefits of capitalism in the form of his bloated salary made possible by the demeaning exploitation of other human beings sort of realizes it!

:shake:

Donger
02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I watched it. Didn't the people that he was "working for" wonder and ask what was with the cameras?

Reaper16
02-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I watched it. Didn't the people that he was "working for" wonder and ask what was with the cameras?
I only watched 1/3 of the episode at most but it was explained that the CEO was playing a man who has a TV show about working entry-level jobs (something like Dirty Jobs I guess).

luv
02-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I only watched 1/3 of the episode at most but it was explained that the CEO was playing a man who has a TV show about working entry-level jobs (something like Dirty Jobs I guess).

Yep. They knew they were going to be recorded, but they didn't know that it was the president of the company.

Thig Lyfe
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM

"This experience has opened my eyes... from now on, lunch breaks are 15 minutes instead of 10!"

luv
02-07-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm guessing some didn't appreciate it.

Donger
02-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Ah, thanks Comrade.

big nasty kcnut
02-07-2010, 11:02 PM
I think it cool i do think some ceo need to go down and work with the entry level people and see how they work and see that people need to sometime be noticed.

Fat Elvis
02-07-2010, 11:03 PM
"This experience has opened my eyes... from now on, lunch breaks are 15 minutes instead of 10!"

Actually, 33 minutes instead of 30. If you watched the show, you know what I'm talking about.

Fat Elvis
02-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Next week is Hooters. Should be interesting.

"Reindeer Games" with the CEO watchingROFL

Frazod
02-07-2010, 11:17 PM

That's my problem with it. The cameras obviously weren't hidden. How did they explain that to the people? They had to be coached somewhat, too, since a natural human reaction to a camera is to look at it, not ignore it.

I think the whole thing is probably contrived.

Rain Man
02-07-2010, 11:19 PM
I watched, and had the same reaction as newphin. It was interesting, but at the same time it was apparent that it was completely rigged. The letter, of course, and then also the woman inviting a new employee to her house on his first day of work and sharing that she's had cancer and is about to lose her house? And the other worker on dialysis? Come on.

It was still engaging to watch, though. I just hope it gets a little better from a realism standpoint.

Rain Man
02-07-2010, 11:22 PM
That's my problem with it. The cameras obviously weren't hidden. How did they explain that to the people? They had to be coached somewhat, too, since a natural human reaction to a camera is to look at it, not ignore it.

Supposedly he was presented as a guy testing out entry level jobs for a reality TV show. But that would've still made people act differently than they would if there weren't TV cameras rolling. Granted, if it was going for 8 hours maybe people would slip up and be real, though.

I would think that people would recognize the CEO, though. When I was in the defense industry, my company had 100,000 people in it, and we definitely would've recognized the CEO. (In fact, the one time I propped my feet up and started looking at a singles cruise catalog and he walked up to my desk to wish me a merry Christmas, I recognized him immediately and figured I was about to be fired.)

Frazod
02-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Supposedly he was presented as a guy testing out entry level jobs for a reality TV show. But that would've still made people act differently than they would if there weren't TV cameras rolling. Granted, if it was going for 8 hours maybe people would slip up and be real, though.

I would think that people would recognize the CEO, though. When I was in the defense industry, my company had 100,000 people in it, and we definitely would've recognized the CEO. (In fact, the one time I propped my feet up and started looking at a singles cruise catalog and he walked up to my desk to wish me a merry Christmas, I recognized him immediately and figured I was about to be fired.)

That's actually the one part of it that's believable - in a company as huge as Waste Management (my firm actually does some work for them), a rank and file trash hauler won't know who the company president is, and even if they see a picture on a wall once in a while, that guy showing up with coveralls needing a shave would probably be an effective disguise, because who would be looking for that?

-King-
02-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I watched, and had the same reaction as newphin. It was interesting, but at the same time it was apparent that it was completely rigged. The letter, of course, and then also the woman inviting a new employee to her house on his first day of work and sharing that she's had cancer and is about to lose her house? And the other worker on dialysis? Come on.

It was still engaging to watch, though. I just hope it gets a little better from a realism standpoint.

Yup you could tell the whole thing was staged. They basically picked people with sob stories and tried to make it seem "real". It was ridiculous.

verbaljitsu
02-07-2010, 11:40 PM
I thought it was a good show. Next week looks good. I have to question Hooter's decision making process on this one. I have a feeling they are going to open themselves up to some serious liability.

-King-
02-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I thought it was a good show. Next week looks good. I have to question Hooter's decision making process on this one. I have a feeling they are going to open themselves up to some serious liability.

I wonder what the sob story is going to be in that one? A worker whose boobs don't meet protocol so she's about to get fired?

BryanBusby
02-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I wonder what the sob story is going to be in that one? A worker whose boobs don't meet protocol so she's about to get fired?

Dim witted skank moved to kitchen duty for having lopsided titties.

Taco John
02-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Now where's the show where they take someone off the conveyor belt and heve them attempt to run the company for a year in an evolving market so that people can have jobs?

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I didn't really get it. Its not like any of them would be able to do his job.

But I'm also a business-oriented guy. I DO believe employee morale is imperative to increasing worker productivity, but I don't understand the point of making a show about it. It seemed to be more about drama than really improving the company's business structure.

The only part that bothered me was the girl having to piss into a can. Can someone say, DISCRIMINATION LAWSUIT!?!

Now where's the show where they take someone off the conveyor belt and heve them attempt to run the company for a year in an evolving market so that people can have jobs?

THIS. Most of those people would shit themselves trying to do what he does.

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 02:08 AM

I assure you although they MAY have been duped into thinking it was something different, the cameras were sure to tell the employees to lay on the drama and emotion.

Good TV is good TV. And people want emotional TV. They want to laugh, cry, be scared, get angry, etc. And the few of us who don't, watch the Science Channel. Even Discovery and TLC have gone all dramatic.

I dislike drama because its uncontrollable. My favorite show is "How Its Made" or "Mythbusters."

jjjayb
02-08-2010, 06:11 AM
The only part that bothered me was the girl having to piss into a can. Can someone say, DISCRIMINATION LAWSUIT!?!

In what manner is this discrimination? Do they have urinals on the trucks for the guys but not toilets for the women?

BigRedChief
02-08-2010, 07:14 AM
In what manner is this discrimination? Do they have urinals on the trucks for the guys but not toilets for the women?and just where are they pissing in these cans? How are they not doing this in public?

Saulbadguy
02-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Fake and stupid.

NewChief
02-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Pretty funny post covering it:

http://open.salon.com/blog/evaholman/2010/02/08/undercover_boss_the_worlds_most_expensive_cute_gesture
Undercover Boss: The world's most expensive cute gesture

I’ve always admired MTV’s knack for finding the most batshit crazy people on the planet to star in its reality shows. Say what you will about their music. This is the network that brought us Snookie and The Situation. I can’t stop talking about him. Girls love The Situation.

In a feat of modern casting, Jersey Shore managed to find the only six people in the world who swore they’d never fall in love at the Jersey Shore. Similarly, in Undercover Boss, CBS unearthed the only 10 CEOs in the world who have a childlike love and respect for each and every one of their employees. And for all human kind.

Are "we" the ones who are being unfair? Are all CEOs as dedicated to serving the needs of their employees as these ones are?

I’m guessing yes.

Undercover Boss, Week 1: “Gee, Whiz!”

Meet Larry O’Donnell, CEO of Waste Management.

The first thing you should know about Larry – and I can’t stress this enough – is that while he looks and acts like a wealthy CEO, he’s actually just a regular guy. How do we know this? Because his family is “the joy of his life.” So he’s just like you and me. Moving on.

Like all CEOs, Larry doesn’t want to be paid as much as he is. It’s just some unfortunate side affect, like the germ ring on quinoa. Or something equally obscure and therefore unfunny.

So, Larry’s plan to get an authentic look at his company is to pretend he’s filming a documentary, which – in addition to being a totally, totally believable alibi – shows how smart the producers of Undercover Boss are. No one would ever alter their behavior in front of a camera crew!

And here’s the hardest part: Larry can’t blow his cover. Because if he does, CBS will hunt down and kill every animal on the Endangered Species list.

Kidding. That’s what I pretended to myself so I would actually care.

Anyway, Larry is pretty excited, because “If I pull this off, I could revolutionize our processes!” Thomas Edison inventing the light bulb, Larry acquainting himself with his own company. Revolution.

My favorite part was the beginning of the show, when Larry gathered senior management round and said, “I’ll bet you’re all are wondering what’s going on!” Well, you are being followed by the crew of Undercover Boss, so I’m guessing somebody ordered pizza.

Afterwards, there was a tense moment. Though it was accompanied by what sounded suspiciously like the “Mounting Tension in the Boardroom” music they use on Celebrity Apprentice.

And so, Larry embarked on his four day journey into the trenches – likely flanked by three days of emergency massages and foot pumicings, we can’t be sure. Remember – he can’t blow his cover. Because if he blows his cover, nothing will happen.

It might have been awkward if, like Barbara Eirenreich in Nickel and Dimed, Larry observed workers who felt unmotivated to meet the clearly almost impossible demands of their supervisors. Luckily, every one of Larry’s employees are workoholic martyrs who equate going “above and beyond” with being a good person. As we all should.

Larry was particularly impressed with Jacklyn, a whip-smart administrative assistant/accountant who invited Larry over for dinner at her giant house. I doubt he got any input from the producers about which employee’s house to visit. Though the cameras did beat him there.

Like I said, Larry was so impressed by Jacklyn that he almost blew his cover, and you and I wouldn’t be here. But he waited to tell them each in person. Naturally, they were all thrilled.

And the supervisor who abused the rules to punish his employees for being late coming back from lunch? CBS tapped into the anti-corporate, frothing-at-the-mouth cynicism of the American public and gave him the dreaded .... slap on the wrist. Bet he won’t try that again! Or will. Whatever.

But the important thing is CEO Larry learned a lot. Take his breakthrough epiphany: “You know, in my role there’s a lot of policies I put out there ... and you have to live with them!" Well said, Larry.

And the employees he met? He changed their lives forever. Especially the woman who has to pee in a can while she’s on duty. Larry promised to look into that one.

BigRedChief
02-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Fake and stupid.So, isn't that standard on a reality show?

Mastashake
02-08-2010, 08:56 AM
In what manner is this discrimination? Do they have urinals on the trucks for the guys but not toilets for the women?

Because she is a woman. And with gender discrimination being a hot topic nowadays I think she'd have a case. Plus its quite obvious from a biological standpoint the ability to pee in extreme situations is MUCH easier for a man than a woman. That's all. I'm not saying she'd necessarily win, but I'd sure as hell make a case for it.

KC native
02-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Man, this came across as blatant propaganda to me. The opening tag line killed it, "When the American public is upset and blaming CEO's. These CEO's go undercover into yada yada yada"

BigRedChief
02-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Man, this came across as blatant propaganda to me. The opening tag line killed it, "When the American public is upset and blaming CEO's. These CEO's go undercover into yada yada yada"How else are they going to get CEO's to do this unless it makes their company look better to the public?

KC native
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
How else are they going to get CEO's to do this unless it makes their company look better to the public?

I know. Like I said, propaganda. You just watched an hour long PR piece disguised as "entertainment".

Fruit Ninja
02-09-2010, 02:31 AM
lol, i dont care what anyone says, but having that chick say she pisses in a jar does not make your company look good at all. I agree that it was somewhat set up by good stories, but some of that shit was terrible for the company. Not like its goign to matter to a company like Waste Management though. they are so huge, who is someone else going to turn too for trash?

blazzin311
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah. When I watch reality TV, I always try to figure out WTF is the "reality." I mean, almost all these shows are some bullshit version of reality where it's presented one way, but the way it's really filmed is something altogether different.

What I figured they must have done for this one was tell the people that this guy was a reporter or a documentary producer who was filming on working class jobs and wanted to ride along with them. That would then provide them the "cover" of filming without the people actually knowing that the president of their company was working with them. It still doesn't make for a truly "undercover" experience.

As far as I can tell that's exactly what they did as to not give it away that the president of the company was riding along. Matter of fact I think they mentioned that at the beginning of the first episode somewhere. I think they said for his cover he was supposed to be like an "independent contractor" of sorts with a camera crew documenting him. Can't remember.

blazzin311
02-09-2010, 10:25 AM

The cameras weren't supposed to be hidden. They explained that at the beginning of the show.

Pestilence
02-09-2010, 10:51 AM
This show would be better if the CEO came down and busted people for fucking around on the job. If I want a feel good story....I'll watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

jjjayb
02-09-2010, 11:12 AM
This show would be better if the CEO came down and busted people for ****ing around on the job. If I want a feel good story....I'll watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

No kidding. At least be a little realistic.

I really loved the part when he rode with the pee-can lady. People coming out to hug her. Mentally challenged people reading out pre-written notes about how great she is. If she's so frigging great and they all love her so much, WHY DON'T THEY LET HER USING THEIR FRIGGING TOILETS!?! She's peeing in a can for crying out loud. And maybe if she wasn't stopping to chat with all the people in the neighborhood half the day, she might find time to actually get her job done and go "off route" to pee in a restroom instead of a can?

The poor lady who had to run off to the time clock so she wouldn't get docked pay? Notice how she clocked in, then went back to the lunchroom? Oh yeah, great employee there. How about you actually carry your ass to work when you clock in rather than going back for 10 more minutes of lunch?

Dialysis guy? He gets payed to just sit there and watch another guy pick up trash? Tough job he's got.

Show sucked.

blazzin311
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
This show would be better if the CEO came down and busted people for ****ing around on the job. If I want a feel good story....I'll watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.

That would be awesome. Matter of fact you may have a good idea for a premise for a new "reality t.v." series. I'd watch that I think.

ChiefaRoo
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Undercover boss = shit

PS - They should get a porta potty on the truck so the chick can sit down. Larry didn't realy address that.

Fruit Ninja
02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
No kidding. At least be a little realistic.

I really loved the part when he rode with the pee-can lady. People coming out to hug her. Mentally challenged people reading out pre-written notes about how great she is. If she's so frigging great and they all love her so much, WHY DON'T THEY LET HER USING THEIR FRIGGING TOILETS!?! She's peeing in a can for crying out loud. And maybe if she wasn't stopping to chat with all the people in the neighborhood half the day, she might find time to actually get her job done and go "off route" to pee in a restroom instead of a can?

The poor lady who had to run off to the time clock so she wouldn't get docked pay? Notice how she clocked in, then went back to the lunchroom? Oh yeah, great employee there. How about you actually carry your ass to work when you clock in rather than going back for 10 more minutes of lunch?

Dialysis guy? He gets payed to just sit there and watch another guy pick up trash? Tough job he's got.

Show sucked.
HE said he's been on dialysis for 19 years. I am sure he just didnt get that job he had to work his way up. He's basically the supervisor now, but you dont every just start out that way. Not at a company like that.

PunkinDrublic
02-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Anybody watching it this week. I've eaten at all 3 of those hooters they showed. That one manager was a real piece of shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
02-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Anybody watching it this week. I've eaten at all 3 of those hooters they showed. That one manager was a real piece of shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just caught a bit of it. Yeah, the manager is a piece of shit. But holy fuck. The entire Hooters image is built on objectifying women. It's awesome to see the CEO get all Women's Lib about his daughters working there and about how women must be treated with respect and shit. It's fucking HOoters, man. You're one step up from a strip club.

PunkinDrublic
02-14-2010, 09:00 PM
I just caught a bit of it. Yeah, the manager is a piece of shit. But holy fuck. The entire Hooters image is built on objectifying women. It's awesome to see the CEO get all Women's Lib about his daughters working there and about how women must be treated with respect and shit. It's fucking HOoters, man. You're one step up from a strip club.

That manager was just bitter because none of those girls would give him the time of day so he plays his little power trip to make himself feel superior.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
02-15-2010, 01:29 AM
FOX is working on a spinoff. Those same regular people will get their chance to be CEO! Oh what good fun they'll have. Will it work out? Who knows. But tune in!! Don't miss a minute of this wacky ride as these people find out the CEO life isn't all honky dory! Tune in!

-King-
02-15-2010, 01:31 AM

THANK YOU!

I swear people are dumb as shit. The workers are like "I didn't want to be objectified". Um...you work at fucking hooters. Didn't you at least step foot into one before you decided to put in that app? If I don't want to be laughed at, I wont be a clown. If you don't want to be objectified and stared at by strange old men, dont work at fucking hooters.

patteeu
02-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Because she is a woman. And with gender discrimination being a hot topic nowadays I think she'd have a case. Plus its quite obvious from a biological standpoint the ability to pee in extreme situations is MUCH easier for a man than a woman. That's all. I'm not saying she'd necessarily win, but I'd sure as hell make a case for it.

In my company, they'd pee before or after their shift and if they don't have the bladder to hack it, they'd hit the road and I'd find someone who did.

But I wouldn't follow them around in a white pickup. I'd install cameras in their trucks and watch them from my recliner at headquarters.

Consistent1
02-15-2010, 08:17 AM
THANK YOU!

I swear people are dumb as shit. The workers are like "I didn't want to be objectified". Um...you work at ****ing hooters. Didn't you at least step foot into one before you decided to put in that app? If I don't want to be laughed at, I wont be a clown. If you don't want to be objectified and stared at by strange old men, dont work at ****ing hooters.

I think the deal is that a lot of the girls at Hooters don't want to work PERIOD. They don't really develop the service skills to do very well in a different restaurant environment in most cases. They get cut a lot of slack, and don't have to deal with the vicious demanding females that plague service workers elsewhere. There seem to be a bunch of college student types who basically want some free cash from being fairly hot. That is especially true in my area.

luv
03-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Looks like they're going to Branson for this week's show. Silver Dollar City, Show Boat Branson Belle, etc.

LetsSignRussell
03-28-2010, 08:00 PM
bump