PDA

View Full Version : Obama White House announces televised health meet

petegz28
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
President Barack Obama is planning to host a televised meeting with Republican and Democratic congressional leaders on health care reform.

The Feb. 25 meeting is an attempt to reach across the aisle but not a signal that the president plans to start over, as Republicans have demanded, a White House official said.

“I want to come back [after the Presidents Day congressional recess] and have a large meeting — Republicans and Democrats — to go through, systematically, all the best ideas that are out there and move it forward,” Obama said in an interview with Katie Couric during CBS’s Super Bowl pre-game show Sunday.

Obama said he wants to “look at the Republican ideas that are out there.”

“If we can go, step by step, through a series of these issues and arrive at some agreements, then, procedurally, there’s no reason why we can’t do it a lot faster the process took last year,” he said.

In a statement, the official said, “What the president will not do is let this moment slip away. He hopes to have Republican support in doing so — but he is going to move forward on health reform.”

Obama first suggested reopening talks with Republicans during his State of the Union address last month, and reiterated the call at a Democratic fundraiser Thursday, but the White House had kept details of his plan under wraps until Sunday.

The idea has been met previously with skepticism by the congressional leaders of both parties. Republicans say they see little room for compromise because the bill should be scrapped, while Democrats argue they have already tried a bipartisan approach, but failed.

But since the Democratic loss in the Massachusetts Senate race, Obama has been forced to rework his legislative strategy – both by striking a more bipartisan tone, and returning to his campaign pledge of providing more transparency. He’s been dogged by questions about why he failed to live up to his campaign promise of televising the health care negotiations on C-SPAN.

The half-day meeting will take place at Blair House, and be broadcast live, presumably by C-SPAN, making it the first televised White House meeting on health care reform since a forum last March.

“While he’s been very clear that he supports the House and Senate bills, if Republicans or anyone else has a plan for protecting Americans from insurance company abuses, lowering costs, reducing prescription drug prices for seniors, making coverage more secure, and offering affordable options to those without coverage, he’s anxious to see it and debate the merits of it,” the White House official said.

Legislators from both parties applauded the meeting, while holding to their positions on the health care legislation.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said in a statement reacting to Obama's call for what Reid called "a bipartisan, bicameral health insurance reform meeting":

“Senate Democrats join with the president in reaffirming our commitment to seeking a bipartisan solution to health reform. We have promoted the pursuit of a bipartisan approach to health reform from day one. As we continue our work to fix our broken health care system, Senate Democrats will not relent on our commitment to protecting consumers from insurance company abuses, reducing health care costs, saving Medicare and cutting the deficit.”

"Obviously, I am pleased that the White House finally seems interested in a real, bipartisan conversation on health care,” said House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-Oh.) in a statement Sunday. He added: “The problem with the Democrats' health care bills is not that the American people don't understand them; the American people do understand them, and they don't like them.”

The announcement of the televised meeting comes as Democrats have expressed growing confusion about how the White House plans to deliver a health care reform bill this year, after two weeks of inconsistent statements and little hands-on involvement by Obama.

Democrats on Capitol Hill and beyond said last week they had no clear understanding of the White House strategy and were growing impatient with Obama’s reluctance to lead the way toward a legislative solution.

The bipartisan talks are the latest iteration of Obama's plan to restart health care, which has been stalled in the more than two weeks since Democrats lost the Massachusetts Senate race. In that time, Obama or his top advisers have talked of breaking the bill into smaller parts, keeping it together in one comprehensive package, putting it at the back of legislative line and needing to “punch it through” Congress.

Obama told Couric that he did not regret holding back on health reform to pursue a jobs agenda.

“Keep in mind: Jobs were my number-one priority last year,” he said. “Do I wish we could have done it faster, that it hadn’t been so painful slow through the legislative process? Absolutely. But it was the right thing to do then. It continues to be the right thing.”

As for meeting with Republicans, Obama on Thursday described the “next step” as sitting down with the GOP, Democrats and health care experts. “Let's just go through these bills — their ideas, our ideas — let's walk through them in a methodical way so that the American people can see and compare what makes the most sense,” Obama said.

At the same fundraiser, Obama seemed to acknowledge for the first time that Congress may well decide to scrap health care altogether — an admission that blunted his repeated and emphatic vows to finish the job. The White House said Obama’s remarks were misinterpreted and he intends to finish health reform.

Speaking to Couric, Obama acknowledged public unhappiness with all the special deals in the legislation. “What we have to do is just make sure that it is a much more clear and transparent process,” he said. “I’ve got to push Congress on that.”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32646.html

BillSelfsTrophycase
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice how he wants to be bipartisan now that he doesn't have 60 votes

petegz28
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
So now jobs were his #1 priority last year??? Really??? JFC, this guy just preys on the willfully ignorant.

petegz28
02-07-2010, 10:26 PM
To be fair, this is a step in the right direction. Lets just hope it isn't a one time shot.

RINGLEADER
02-08-2010, 01:39 AM
To be fair, this is a step in the right direction. Lets just hope it isn't a one time shot.

It would surprise me if the White House hasn't gone through all of the stuff they said they would do and didn't and are now checking off the list a bunch of gimmicks so they can diminish the claims this fall that they didn't do what they, well, didn't do.

Obama will stand up and ask for people to come forward with ideas then promptly ignore them as he's done in the past.

HonestChieffan
02-08-2010, 08:33 AM
The republicans will be fools to fall for this. But Obama knows the McCain and Lindsey Grahams of the world will slobber all over themselves.

God Save us.

BucEyedPea
02-08-2010, 08:38 AM
It's to make the Republicans look obstructionist for the election. Politics!

RINGLEADER
02-08-2010, 11:38 AM

This x100. Obama and the Dems know full well that they can't split their Obamacare into multiple parts because things like coverage for pre-existing conditions requires one of two things to occur: a) much higher premiums or b) taxes that fund the additional costs directly or c) mandates on those that don't need health insurance that they get health insurance. Those are the options and no matter what President Scold tries to say he's simply trying to win a political battle (again) rather than accept the fact that 90% of Americans don't want their imperfect system jettisoned for an experiment that common sense tells you just won't work.

wild1
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
remember, to this guy 59 Democrat votes and 1 Republican vote would constitute "bipartisan"

Warrior5
02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Exactly right, so I would expect the GOP to come to the table armed with viable proposals.

BigRedChief
02-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Exactly right, so I would expect the GOP to come to the table armed with viable proposals.Have they really agreed to this?

Chiefshrink
02-08-2010, 02:14 PM
The republicans will be fools to fall for this. But Obama knows the McCain and Lindsey Grahams of the world will slobber all over themselves.

God Save us.

Total ploy! You, BEP, and Ringleader are exactly right on. However, I feel "THIS TIME" the Repubs will actually stand back and watch them commit political suicide based on "the current political fervor of the American people against" the health care plan.:thumb:

Repubs have all the "political leverage" right now and Obama knows it.:thumb:

BigRedChief
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/09/obama-pleads-bipartisanship-calls-end-grandstanding/

Obama Pleads for Bipartisanship, Calls for End to 'Grandstanding'

President Obama says it's time for Democrats and Republicans to work hard because the American people "expect a seriousness of purpose that transcends petty politics."

<IFRAME id=ifr-frame1-300x250_336x280 border=0 frameBorder=0 width=1 scrolling=no height=1></IFRAME>

WASHINGTON -- Appealing for bipartisanship in a town where it's lacking, President Obama sat down with Democrats and Republicans Tuesday to spur cooperation on job creation, deficit reduction and health care overhaul. He promised to do his part -- but warned he would take Republicans to task if they don't do the same.

"The people who sent us here expect a seriousness of purpose that transcends petty politics," Obama said afterward, making a surprise appearance in the White House briefing room.

He started his remarks to reporters by engaging in a bit of wishful thinking: joking about Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid and Republican leader Mitch McConnell "out doing snow angels together on the South Lawn."

But the friendly rhetoric quickly gave way to tougher talk.
"We can't afford grandstanding at the expense of actually getting something done," Obama said. "What I won't consider is doing nothing."
Obama ticked off several areas where he said cooperation should be easy. But most of the ideas on which he called for bipartisanship were ones he favors, whether it was job creation (money for infrastructure repairs, small business tax cuts and lending, tax breaks for energy efficiency improvements), health care (extending coverage and making it more affordable) or deficit cutting (a bipartisan commission).
"I won't hesitate to embrace a good idea from my friends in the minority party, but I also won't hesitate to condemn ... what I consider to be obstinacy," he said.

He also threatened to act unilaterally to install his choices for several government vacancies that normally would require Senate confirmation, if his nominees continue to be held up. Presidents have the ability to make what are called recess appointments in such cases, though people installed that way can stay in the job only until the end of the current Congress.

Most recently, the White House had highlighted blocking action by Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama, who had placed a hold on about 70 of Obama's nominees.

Tango&Cash
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
This whole HC thing is one giant disasterous joke. They should just drop the whole fucking thing and focus on bigger issues like the economy and how we're going to be able to pay off this huge national debt we have.

HonestChieffan
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Obama asking to stop grandstanding.

Thats moving to the top of my list.

patteeu
02-09-2010, 03:19 PM
... requires one of two things to occur: a) ... or b) ... or c) ....

:shrug:

Watch out RINGLEADER or you'll find yourself Quayled. :)

BigRedChief
02-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Obama says he will meet the Republicans half way:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/09/obama-says-meet-gop-halfway-health/

WASHINGTON -- Signaling he'd meet critics part way on health care, President Barack Obama said Tuesday he's willing to sign a bill even if it doesn't deliver everything he pursued through a year of grinding effort at risk of going down as a dismal failure.

The Democrats' massive health overhaul legislation is stalled in Congress by disagreements within the party and the loss last month of their 60th Senate vote, and with it, control of the agenda. Republicans suspect that Obama's invitation to a televised health care summit Feb. 25 is a thinly disguised political trap. On Tuesday, the president tried to change the dour dynamic, indicating he could settle for less in order to move ahead.

"Let's put the best ideas on the table," Obama told reporters after meeting with congressional leaders of both parties. "My hope is that we can find enough overlap that we can say, this is the right way to move forward, even if I don't get every single thing that I want."

Obama's overarching goals are to rein in medical costs and expand coverage to millions of uninsured. Specifically, Obama said he'd be willing to work on ways to limit medical malpractice lawsuits -- one of the main ideas Republicans have for reducing costs, by addressing the problem of defensive medicine. Democrats, who count trial lawyers among their most generous contributors, especially in an election year, have blocked all previous attempts to tackle the issue.

"I'm willing to move off some of the preferences of my party, in order to meet them halfway, Obama said. "But there's got to be some give from their side as well."

HonestChieffan
02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Half way? Good lord man. Now is the time for Boehner to double down.

When someone says they will meet you half way, Refuse to accept. The President just gave up 50% and cost Boehner nothing.

Hold your ground, firm but friendly...Mr President, we cannot afford to meet you half way....

Obama has no negotiation position other than go back to a failed HC proposal that cannot and will not pass that the voters absolutely do not want.

patteeu
02-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Obama says he will meet the Republicans half way:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/09/obama-says-meet-gop-halfway-health/

WASHINGTON -- Signaling he'd meet critics part way on health care, President Barack Obama said Tuesday he's willing to sign a bill even if it doesn't deliver everything he pursued through a year of grinding effort at risk of going down as a dismal failure.

The Democrats' massive health overhaul legislation is stalled in Congress by disagreements within the party and the loss last month of their 60th Senate vote, and with it, control of the agenda. Republicans suspect that Obama's invitation to a televised health care summit Feb. 25 is a thinly disguised political trap. On Tuesday, the president tried to change the dour dynamic, indicating he could settle for less in order to move ahead.

"Let's put the best ideas on the table," Obama told reporters after meeting with congressional leaders of both parties. "My hope is that we can find enough overlap that we can say, this is the right way to move forward, even if I don't get every single thing that I want."

Obama's overarching goals are to rein in medical costs and expand coverage to millions of uninsured. Specifically, Obama said he'd be willing to work on ways to limit medical malpractice lawsuits -- one of the main ideas Republicans have for reducing costs, by addressing the problem of defensive medicine. Democrats, who count trial lawyers among their most generous contributors, especially in an election year, have blocked all previous attempts to tackle the issue.

"I'm willing to move off some of the preferences of my party, in order to meet them halfway, Obama said. "But there's got to be some give from their side as well."

If he's being honest about his intentions then he shouldn't mind agreeing to start from scratch with Republican input involved from the beginning and he shouldn't be hesitant to promise not to try to pass something through reconciliation. Something tells me that he's not being honest though.

BigRedChief
02-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Half way? Good lord man. Now is the time for Boehner to double down.

When someone says they will meet you half way, Refuse to accept. The President just gave up 50% and cost Boehner nothing.

Hold your ground, firm but friendly...Mr President, we cannot afford to meet you half way....

Obama has no negotiation position other than go back to a failed HC proposal that cannot and will not pass that the voters absolutely do not want.This isn't about health care reform anymore. It's politics. Which party is more of the cause of gridlock in Washington? Who's the party most to blame?

BigRedChief
02-10-2010, 09:02 AM
If he's being honest about his intentions then he shouldn't mind agreeing to start from scratch with Republican input involved from the beginning and he shouldn't be hesitant to promise not to try to pass something through reconciliation. Something tells me that he's not being honest though.Screw that. Another year of wrangling and partisan bickering? yeah, thats what we need.:doh!:

patteeu
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Screw that. Another year of wrangling and partisan bickering? yeah, thats what we need.:doh!:

Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe we should scrap the whole idea and wait until Republicans are in charge.

HonestChieffan
02-10-2010, 09:23 AM
This isn't about health care reform anymore. It's politics. Which party is more of the cause of gridlock in Washington? Who's the party most to blame?

Im not into blame on the issue. The fact is the process broke. And it produced a bad product.

The two proposals they have are garbage. And the people do not want them. Its impossible for any political hack to admit the baby is ugly, but in this case, the baby is ugly and aint gonna get better.

Obama is showing me he has no clue on how to work the system. Hes playing politics on TV trying to put the opponant in a bad light and in the process has backed himself into a corner and has no escape that looks good.

First, he grandstands with Couric and announces this TV idea. Thats bad enough but they didnt front end it with anyone in the House or Senate....and its a horrible idea unless you have all the ducks in a row before you tell the public. Now he has to negotiate publicly. NEVER negotiate in front of a crowd.

So now, he has announced a TV event that has no "rules". Most here dont recall the Paris Peace Talks. If you do, recall the Months of negotiations over the shape and size of the damn table....sure its a game, but you get the rules established and everyone on board before you start to talk. No one knows who is invited to his TV show, what the goal is, who plays what role. All of that must be nailed down or no one will go in with any understanding. Bad for Obama cause he cannot control the other side. The other side is nervous cause they don't know what stunt Obama may play. These people do not trust each other. Thats why they need rules.

Obama is over his head and his advisors were great at a campaign but they suck at negotiation and political understanding.

This cannot work in his favor. He starts with a bad hand. If he folds it, then a new effort can begin and be done right. But he refuses to fold the hand. In that case the republicans and blue dogs can just say no, we want to restart. Obama cannot sell the hand he has and he knows it.

Then to cave on 1/2 of his position? Bad move. Tactically if he was going to, this should have been done before they announced the TV idea, not after. In private,not on national TV. This shows his weak position. And all the other side has to do now is wait and see what else he will give up. Its a classic negotiation tactic that Obama should know. No lawyer worth a spit would give up 50% on the first move.

Bad politics. And everyone is watching it happen.