PDA

View Full Version : Football Saints, Colts say "Move over M*A*S*H"

Mile High Mania
02-08-2010, 02:46 PM
It's hard to imagine that the league and the players union can't realize what they are putting at jeopardy with their inability to come to an agreement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP)—The Super Bowl was watched by more than 106 million people, surpassing the 1983 finale of “M-A-S-H” to become the most-watched program in television history.
The Nielsen Co. estimated Monday that 106.5 million people watched the New Orleans Saints (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nor/;_ylt=Aoqgsc4FoV694962MiG2bOgdsLYF) upset the Indianapolis Colts (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/ind/;_ylt=Ai47cpzdrL3G9Adx2QK.UBsdsLYF). That beats the “M-A-S-H” finale, which had 105.97 million viewers in an era when there were fewer television sets.

Compelling story lines involving the city of New Orleans and its recovery from Hurricane Katrina and the quest for a second Super Bowl ring for Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4256/;_ylt=AoaZZ3PvSJnHComeFxJv6hAdsLYF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4256/news;_ylt=Aksd1JQJXDJbPke9S1CG5LgdsLYF) propelled the viewership.
The game also obliterated the previous record viewership for a Super Bowl— last year’s game between Arizona and Pittsburgh in which 98.7 million people watched.

blaise
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Good. I liked MASH, but it got too preachy and whiny at the end.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I guarantee you they come to an agreement. They won't make the same mistake baseball made in 94. Baseball was dead anyway but that buried it for good and it's still dead to this day.

Frazod
02-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Good. I liked MASH, but it got too preachy and whiny at the end.

The first three seasons were some of the best comedy ever. Unfortunately, it went on after that for another eight years. :shake:

Kerberos
02-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I guarantee you they come to an agreement. They won't make the same mistake baseball made in 94. Baseball was dead anyway but that buried it for good and it's still dead to this day.

What is this "Baseball" you speak of?

Kerberos
02-08-2010, 03:12 PM
The first three seasons were some of the best comedy ever. Unfortunately, it went on after that for another eight years. :shake:

And it's hard to keep making funny stuff out of a war. There wasn't a whole lot funny about the Korean War.

Brock
02-08-2010, 03:14 PM

I believe you are mistaken. This thing is headed for a train wreck.

Secondly, baseball is a long way from dead.

Frazod
02-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I believe you are mistaken. This thing is headed for a train wreck.

Probably right about the time we start getting good again. :banghead:

kcfanXIII
02-08-2010, 03:17 PM
its looking more like the hockey option where the owners will lock out the players, instead of the players going on strike, if a stoppage occurs. the owners realize that salaries are out of control, and the only way for the league to continue to be profitable is for the owners to get salaries under control, and put a stop to this trend of over paying. i believe both sides know whats at stake, and will reach an agreement before a stoppage occurs.

Dr. Van Halen
02-08-2010, 03:36 PM
By the way this is US television history, obviously.

Our friends at Wikipedia tell us as follows: "...(a) report by IPG media agency Initiative Worldwide stated that the 2006 FIFA World Cup was the most-watched sporting event of that year with an average 95 Million viewers per match.[42]

As noted above, China Central Television regularly achieves audiences in the hundreds of millions for its Spring Festival Gala and Xinwen Lianbo.[citation needed]

The most popular regular-broadcast sports event and TV programme is the English Premier League. It is broadcast to 600 million households in 202 countries and reportedly watched by more than 1.2 billion people per week.[43][unreliable source?] Even this figure may be an underestimate as the number of people watching are said to watch on pirated set top boxes and illegal Internet streams.[44]

On July 20, 1969, over 600 million people watched the Apollo 11 landing of the first ever humans to walk on the surface of the moon.[45]

A satellite broadcast for an Elvis Presley show live from Hawaii, titled "Aloha from Hawaii" on January 14, 1973 is reported to have reached over 1 billion viewers globally.[46][47] Some breakdowns of the figures suggest 40% of the Japanese television audience,[48] and 91.8% of the television audience in the Philippines,[49] with an estimated 51% of the American television audience[48] when it aired later in America on April 4, 1973.[48][50]

The funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales was watched by 2.5 billion people.[51][52]

The funeral of Pope John Paul II was watched by over 2 billion people worldwide.[53]

During the 2008 Olympics, it's estimated that 1 billion watched the Men's Basketball game between China and the USA.

On 7 July 2009, following the death of Michael Jackson, it is estimated his funeral was seen by more than 1 billion people worldwide.[54]"

Rain Man
02-08-2010, 03:39 PM
By the way this is US television history, obviously.

Our friends at Wikipedia tell us as follows: "...(a) report by IPG media agency Initiative Worldwide stated that the 2006 FIFA World Cup was the most-watched sporting event of that year with an average 95 Million viewers per match.[42]

As noted above, China Central Television regularly achieves audiences in the hundreds of millions for its Spring Festival Gala and Xinwen Lianbo.[citation needed]

The most popular regular-broadcast sports event and TV programme is the English Premier League. It is broadcast to 600 million households in 202 countries and reportedly watched by more than 1.2 billion people per week.[43][unreliable source?] Even this figure may be an underestimate as the number of people watching are said to watch on pirated set top boxes and illegal Internet streams.[44]

On July 20, 1969, over 600 million people watched the Apollo 11 landing of the first ever humans to walk on the surface of the moon.[45]

A satellite broadcast for an Elvis Presley show live from Hawaii, titled "Aloha from Hawaii" on January 14, 1973 is reported to have reached over 1 billion viewers globally.[46][47] Some breakdowns of the figures suggest 40% of the Japanese television audience,[48] and 91.8% of the television audience in the Philippines,[49] with an estimated 51% of the American television audience[48] when it aired later in America on April 4, 1973.[48][50]

The funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales was watched by 2.5 billion people.[51][52]

The funeral of Pope John Paul II was watched by over 2 billion people worldwide.[53]

During the 2008 Olympics, it's estimated that 1 billion watched the Men's Basketball game between China and the USA.

On 7 July 2009, following the death of Michael Jackson, it is estimated his funeral was seen by more than 1 billion people worldwide.[54]"

You know what's weird? Other than the moon landing, I have absolutely no interest in any of these topics.

Baconeater
02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I'd still like to know how in the hell anyone has any idea how many people watch any given television show.

LaChapelle
02-08-2010, 03:57 PM
They were snowed in

morphius
02-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Probably right about the time we start getting good again. :banghead:
That is exactly what I expect to happen. We'll get on a roll and lockout.

acesn8s
02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd still like to know how in the hell anyone has any idea how many people watch any given television show.They count.

Joie
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I'd still like to know how in the hell anyone has any idea how many people watch any given television show.

Everyone posts it on Facebook or Twitter.

L.A. Chieffan
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
they use small samples, like 5,000 homes, and determine off that what the rest of us 300 million americans are watching

Deberg_1990
02-08-2010, 04:47 PM

heh.....this.

There is no way to be accurate. Its only an esitmate.

Mile High Mania
02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't know if we'll ever know the true number, but I didn't talk to one person today that didn't watch the game.

DaFace
02-08-2010, 05:18 PM
they use small samples, like 5,000 homes, and determine off that what the rest of us 300 million americans are watching

heh.....this.

There is no way to be accurate. Its only an esitmate.

True, but that's all you need from a statistical standpoint.

Joie
02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't know if we'll ever know the true number, but I didn't talk to one person today that didn't watch the game.

My Mom didn't, but not by choice. Her converter box refused to get CBS last night:cuss:. I texted updates.