PDA

View Full Version : Life Talkiní About My Generation (not a Who thread)

|Zach|
02-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Thought this was an interesting read.

http://hildygottlieb.com/2010/02/06/talkin-about-my-generation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+CreatingTheFuture+(Creating+the+Future!)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Talkin’ About My Generation

An online discussion this weekend brought me back almost 3 decades, to my first job out of college. With my brand new political science degree in hand, I became the first ever legislative aide for the maverick city council member in the city where I lived.

My research skills a given, the attribute that had placed me at the top of the heap of qualified job candidates was my inexperience with city politics. That’s right – INexperience. My boss was eager to receive recommendations based on pure research, not on whether the recommendation might “fly” politically. Being young and fresh with no political baggage, I was the perfect candidate!

Pretty cool, eh? Not really. The problem was that my boss second-guessed everything I brought him, based on his experience of what might “fly” politically.

After three years of researching innovative approaches to issues as critical to our city as rape-prevention and cross-city transportation of hazardous materials, the ONLY piece of legislation I had any impact on was the strengthening our city’s noise ordinance. The total result of three years of my life was that people who lived near a bar would be able to sleep a little more soundly.

What should have been the job of my dreams sucked the spirit right out of me.

I was reminded of this when a question was raised in an online discussion this weekend. The premise that preceded the question was this:

“We all recognize that there is a significant leadership gap in the coming generations.”

To say that statement unsettled me would be a huge understatement. My guess is the person who asked the question didn’t mean this assumption to sound as harsh as it sounds, but in truth, it is not that different from the ongoing drumbeat we hear across the sector these days.

The Leadership Gap. Headline after headline, ED networking group after networking group, conference after conference – everyone is bemoaning the Leadership Gap.

I have a confession to make about the Leadership Gap. I don’t see it.

Here is what I DO see:

I see a lot of hand-wringing by baby boomers about the need for new leadership to take over the reins as my age-peers retire. And I see a lot of activity by young people, seeking to be acknowledged for the very real and very passionate and very skilled leadership they are already evidencing.

In that disconnect, I see a lot of chauvinism (on the part of baby boomers) and a lot impatience (on the part of younger people).

I see baby boomers looking to establish leadership programs for their younger counterparts that a) they themselves never had to take to qualify for their jobs (having learned from mentors and by just doing it) and b) that are not in any way attractive to younger people on their way up.

As a baby boomer myself, if there is anything I have NOT seen it is a lack of leadership in up and coming generations – just the opposite.

So is the Leadership Gap really a gap in the ability of my own generation to see beyond the way we’ve always done things? Is it a gap of control? A gap of communications, openness to new ideas, new ways of being in the world?

I remember how it felt to be in my late 20’s, eager to move a different agenda into the realm of social change. Oddly enough, it is that very agenda that has grown up, all these years later, to become the core of the Community-Driven Institute and the Pollyanna Principles.

As I think back to the city councilman I worked for all those years ago, and I watch the actions and listen to the complaints of my age peers as they bemoan the Leadership Gap, I cannot help but wonder.

Is it really the young people coming up behind us who need that leadership training? Or is it those of us who inadvertently stifle their leadership?

The generation that is coming of age and stepping onto the world stage is skilled and schooled. They are passionate. They are tech-savvy and connected to each other and the world in ways we could never dream is possible.

My generation has before it a unique opportunity. We can choose to open the space for this amazing group of people to step into – giving them the freedom to grow into the skills they are already showing they have in abundance. We can give them the freedom and encouragement to make the mistakes that they will not only learn from, but that will make them stronger leaders. We can give them the encouragement and show them we believe in them.

As generations before them have done, they will step into that space in their own way, which is likely to be very different than how we would do it.

And that will be totally ok.

Douche Baggins
02-09-2010, 09:23 AM
This generation can take 4Chan to new heights.

|Zach|
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
This generation can take 4Chan to new heights.

Haha.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Junipop/PD/4chan-venn-diagram.png

Brock
02-09-2010, 09:30 AM
What's funny about that is that the Boomers are the most worthless generation this country has ever seen.

Douche Baggins
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM
What's funny about that is that the Boomers are the most worthless generation this country has ever seen.

http://i45.tinypic.com/iqzt6e.gif

|Zach|
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Well that is getting the thread off to a strong start.
ROFL

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/sonic_grenade.jpg

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 09:34 AM

:cuss:

Brock
02-09-2010, 09:35 AM
It cannot be denied.

stevieray
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Absolutely.

jidar
02-09-2010, 09:47 AM
There is a generation gap and I think it's more pronounced simply due to how much has changed so quickly. I guess whichever side of the gap you fall on you will tend to see it as a deficiency in the other side.

I think it is the nature of people to become out of touch as they age and then to attribute that to failings in the next generation.

Jenson71
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
I see at the university level an obsession by many with leadership skills, being a leader, promoting leadershipism, etc.

There are numerous courses in Education, Leisure Arts, Communication and Business departments at my university that have Leadership in the Course name. You can even minor in Leadership Studies or get a certificate in Leadership Foundations.

The student activities and organizations give plenty of opportunity for students to show their leadership capacities. Hardly any student groups are led or more than advised at the bare minimum by a faculty member.

Every student knows that leadership in something, anything!, is the ticket to a good resume. For motivated students, there is no shortage of ways they can do this. This is the first time I'd heard of an argument that there is a Leadership Gap. I see no evidence of it.

Earthling
02-09-2010, 10:59 AM
So Zach, concerning the noise issue, did they go to a defined decibel limit?
And, if so, were the police required to have a decibel meter at their disposal when addressing the noise complaints?

|Zach|
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
So Zach, concerning the noise issue, did they go to a defined decibel limit?
And, if so, were the police required to have a decibel meter at their disposal when addressing the noise complaints?

Wah?

ChiefsCountry
02-09-2010, 11:55 AM
I think the biggest generation war will be between Gen X and Gen Y. Gen Y, my genration the ones born in the 80s, will take over the management positions from the Boomers while Xers will be more experienced but will get passed over. This is mainly due to being the children of the Boomers. Its going to be some crazy stuff. I had to do research on this for my management degree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Earthling
02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Thought this was an interesting read.

http://hildygottlieb.com/2010/02/06/talkin-about-my-generation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+CreatingTheFuture+(Creating+the+Future!)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Talkiní About My Generation

After three years of researching innovative approaches to issues as critical to our city as rape-prevention and cross-city transportation of hazardous materials, the ONLY piece of legislation I had any impact on was the strengthening our cityís noise ordinance.

Sorry for the confusion Zach but this is what I was referencing to in my earlier post. I ask because our band played an outdoor wedding in Georgetown CO and the city police showed up almost immediately and told us there was a 50 db limit on ANY noise and turn it down. When I asked what our decibel level was he said he wasn't sure and I didn't really expect him to carry around a db meter did I? It was almost hilarious to me.

Pants
02-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I already hate the f***ing kids (teenagers born in the mid 1990's) and I'm 24 lol.

phisherman
02-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I already hate the f***ing kids (teenagers born in the mid 1990's) and I'm 24 lol.

so now you know how we all feel about you? :D

Earthling
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM

ROFL

HC_Chief
02-09-2010, 12:42 PM

Ha! Awesome :D

&#*$%@ing stinking hippies.

DaFace
02-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Doesn't every generation think that the next are worthless?

Pants
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Pretty much. :cuss:

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 01:12 PM

not to mention the useless politician after useless politician that generation gave us. everytime my fatherinlaw goes off on politics, and how messed up this country has gotten and how different it is, i remind him that his generation has not only put most of these pieces of sh*t in office, they have largely shaped the way politics is played. Thanks for fucking up our country baby boomers. your parents were the greatest generation(saved the world), and yours is the laziest/fattest/most selfish/clueless/embarrasing generation.

Earthling
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
not to mention the useless politician after useless politician that generation gave us. everytime my fatherinlaw goes off on politics, and how messed up this country has gotten and how different it is, i remind him that his generation has not only put most of these pieces of sh*t in office, they have largely shaped the way politics is played. Thanks for ****ing up our country baby boomers. your parents were the greatest generation(saved the world), and yours is the laziest/fattest/most selfish/clueless/embarrasing generation.

My pleasure :)

Pants
02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
not to mention the useless politician after useless politician that generation gave us. everytime my fatherinlaw goes off on politics, and how messed up this country has gotten and how different it is, i remind him that his generation has not only put most of these pieces of sh*t in office, they have largely shaped the way politics is played. Thanks for ****ing up our country baby boomers. your parents were the greatest generation(saved the world), and yours is the laziest/fattest/most selfish/clueless/embarrasing generation.

Politicians never change, you do as you grow older.

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Politicians never change, you do as you grow older.

Your right about that. We still went from the greatest country in the world to the most hated in one generation of leaders. The baby boomers have largely created the fat, lazy, excuse riddled society we now live in, and it will take more than one generation to fix it.

Earthling
02-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Your right about that. We still went from the greatest country in the world to the most hated in one generation of leaders. The baby boomers have largely created the fat, lazy, excuse riddled society we now live in, and it will take more than one generation to fix it.

So what are you doing personally to fix it? I am one of those fat, lazy, uncaring, baby boomers that you reference. Personally, I vote, I volunteer in the political process to try to weed out the corruption, I was a Scout leader, I play for free at the local VA hospital and donate to St Judes children hospital yearly. What about yourself? Quit yer bitchin' and help the fixin'.

loochy
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
...I vote, I volunteer in the political process to try to weed out the corruption, I was a Scout leader, I play for free at the local VA hospital and donate to St Judes children hospital yearly...

Want a cookie?

http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/columns/zonis/Best_Cookie-20.jpg

Earthling
02-09-2010, 01:44 PM
ROFLROFL
COOKIE!!! :thumb:

loochy
02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
ROFLROFL
COOKIE!!! :thumb:

Sigh...typical. Your generation is responsible for the proliferation of cookies in this country.

Earthling
02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Sigh...typical. Your generation is responsible for the proliferation of cookies in this country.

Yeah...That might be my fault mostly....

HC_Chief
02-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Cookiemongers!

Earthling
02-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Cookiemongers!

FTW!! :thumb:

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 02:31 PM
So what are you doing personally to fix it? I am one of those fat, lazy, uncaring, baby boomers that you reference. Personally, I vote, I volunteer in the political process to try to weed out the corruption, I was a Scout leader, I play for free at the local VA hospital and donate to St Judes children hospital yearly. What about yourself? Quit yer bitchin' and help the fixin'.

i keep myself from being fat or lazy for the most part(leading by example). i teach my children that excuses are for the weak of mind and the weak of heart, that nothing worth having is easy, and that your sh*t stinks just as bad as everyone elses. my kid is 11 and is already more accountable than half the adults i hear from. i also vote. just not for repubs or dems. they are the same evil. a vote for one is a vote for the other. working for either makes you part of the problem. i'd be lying if i said i volunteered. i do however make donations on the regular to causes worth it IMHO. to pigeonhole an entire generation is wrong.......but for the most part i'm right.

Hydrae
02-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Want a cookie?

Cookie good...

http://badgerherald.com/blogs/arts/amateurgourmand/cookie-monster-diet.jpg

Not cookie, bad.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM

That would be the generation(s) of the last 15 to 20 years actually .................

Brock
02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
That would be the generation(s) of the last 15 to 20 years actually .................

How is that? They haven't even gotten their lives started yet. The boomer generation has been in power for 20 years and it should be pretty obvious what they're all about.

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I just fear for the future when little Miley Cyrus fans are going to be running this country. :eek:

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM

yeah......todays 15 yr olds are the countries most worthless generation. :banghead:
thats straight dumb. are you a baby boomer by chance?

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
WWI Generation to WWII Generation: These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!
WWII Generation to Baby Boomers: These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!
Baby Boomers to Current (Generation Y): These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!
Generation Y to future Generations: These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!

Fish
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes... let's leave the future to a generation of Jersey Shore watching youngsters.... just give them a chance.....

Pablo
02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Yes... let's leave the future to a generation of Jersey Shore watching youngsters.... just give them a chance.....Um, you kind of have no choice.

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 03:13 PM
WWI Generation to WWII Generation: These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!
WWII Generation to Baby Boomers: These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!
Baby Boomers to Current (Generation Y): These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!
Generation Y to future Generations: These kids are horrible, and have no direction or work ethic! They'll be horrible workers!

i read a study a couple of years ago on elders and their opinions of young people. According to this study you can pretty much go back to the beginning of time and hear old people complain bout the current crop of kids.

the posts about miley cyrus and jersey shore fans are f'n retarded, and completely irrelevent. bunch of whiny ass baby boomers for ya.

Fish
02-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Um, you kind of have no choice.

Nahh... killing off 90% of the population would take care of it...

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 03:17 PM
yeah......todays 15 yr olds are the countries most worthless generation. :banghead:
thats straight dumb. are you a baby boomer by chance?

Note I said generation(s), my mistake, thought the implication of "voting age" people would be apparent seeing as that is what the topic was about, not school kids.

Someone take your twinkie? You seem to be spoiling for an arguement and we aren't even married.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
the posts about miley cyrus and jersey shore fans are f'n retarded

Almost as retarded as posts about the Partridge Family and Howdy Doody.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Yeah, same here, LOTS of community volunteer work in my life porfolio.

For many it's so much easier to type judgements than actually do anything.....

HC_Chief
02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Nahh... killing off 90% of the population would take care of it...

There's so many of us. There's so many Others. There's so many.

Let's have a war;
So you can go and die.
Let's have a war;
We could all use the money.
Let's have a war;
We need the space.
Let's have a war;
Clean out this place.

It already started in the city.
Suburbia will be just as easy.

There's so many of us. There's so many Others. There's so many.

Let's have a war;
Jack up the Dow Jones.
Let's have a war;
It can start in New Jersey.
Let's have a war;
Blame it on the middle-class.
Let's have a war;
We're like rats in a cage.

There's so many of us. There's so many others. There's so many.

Let's have a war;
Sell the rights to the networks.
Let's have a war;
Let our wallets get fat like last time.
Let's have a war;
Give guns to the queers.
Let's have a war;
The enemy's within.

loochy
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, same here, LOTS of community volunteer work in my life porfolio.

Oh...it looks like you want a cookie too.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2010, 03:36 PM

This is maybe the best post in the history of this board.

I might rep your next 5 posts just to show appreciation for this one.

Demonpenz
02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
which generation sold out the american worker?

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 03:40 PM
the posts about miley cyrus and jersey shore fans are f'n retarded, and completely irrelevent.

You really don't think the main stream media that you grow up with everyday doesn't play a big part in shaping the culture of a generation?

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Summary of this thread in one sentence: "Parents like to bitch about their kids, and adults like to bitch about children."

In other news, the sun came up today.

RNR
02-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Note I said generation(s), my mistake, thought the implication of "voting age" people would be apparent seeing as that is what the topic was about, not school kids.

Someone take your twinkie? You seem to be spoiling for an arguement and we aren't even married.

It did not part his hair as it flew over his head~

rambleonthruthefog
02-09-2010, 03:56 PM
You really don't think the main stream media that you grow up with everyday doesn't play a big part in shaping the culture of a generation?

of course it does. My generation has decided to start up/follow new mediums. largely because of the failure of our predecessors(baby boomers) the media world will be a whole diff monster in the next 20 years.

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 04:01 PM
of course it does. My generation has decided to start up/follow new mediums. largely because of the failure of our predecessors(baby boomers) the media world will be a whole diff monster in the next 20 years.

It's just going to get worse IMO. That's why I said I fear for the day when little Miley Cyrus fans are running this country. The kids follow pointless drivel religously nowadays. I just fear for the day when it's time for these kids to lead the country let alone whatever their kids are going to be shown on a daily basis. Generation X and the Baby Boomers are all going to look like little Einsteins someday.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh...it looks like you want a cookie too.

and for you ....

http://wiseeats.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/hostess-twinkies.jpg

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 04:09 PM

True.

But the generation of entitled, cell-phone/text speak brats coming down the pipe is likely to dwarf them.

Granted, they're pretty much an off-shoot of the generally worthless Baby-Boomers, but they'll take worthless to a new level, IMO.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:10 PM
The kids follow pointless drivel religously nowadays.

ROFL This is what ALL KIDS DO!

Its called maturity!!! Everyone gets it. Some faster than others, but all do. And all of our generation will too.

Your parents said the same thing about your generation while you were rolling joints on the glove box door of your Nova listening to Slow Ride

But let me guess... It was different back then?

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 04:11 PM

Well here you go then ....

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
ROFL This is what ALL KIDS DO!

Its called maturity!!! Everyone gets it. Some faster than others, but all do. And all of our generation will too.

Your parents said the same thing about your generation while you were rolling joints on the glove box door of your Nova listening to Slow Ride

But let me guess... It was different back then?

:spock: I'm 23.

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 04:16 PM

WWII Generation, Generation X, Generation Y to Baby Boomers: "You guys F'ing suck at everything. You prison-raped a nation and managed to create a sense of entitlement unrivaled in human history. You rode on the backs of the greatest men the country has ever seen and yet still managed to drive us into a mountain."

Future Generations: "The Baby Boomers are the reason we're no longer a super-power but rather a watered-down facsimile of ourselves and a half-assed version of the same Euro-trash we kicked the teeth out of decades ago."

Baby Boomers -- the one generation that EVERY generation can agree on.

Fuck you guys.

loochy
02-09-2010, 04:17 PM
and for you ....

http://wiseeats.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/hostess-twinkies.jpg

Thank you sir. I appreciate that. :p

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
:spock: I'm 23.

If that's the case I truly pity you. If your parents and everyone have pulled the wool over your eyes enough to think your generation isn't as capable or willing as theirs, then I feel bad for you. I'm not trying to be rude. That's just sad.

Look at "That 70's Show." Its a TV show I know, but the point is it fairly accurately showed what those kids were doing at our age: smoking pot in their parents' basement and riding around on Friday Nights, listening to Free Bird.

They're no different than us. And guess what? The WWII generation? LOVED TO GO OUT DRINKING AND DRIVING, and loved to try and chase women around. The only difference is it was before women's lib so they didn't get nearly as much action.

loochy
02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
WWII Generation, Generation X, Generation Y to Baby Boomers: "You guys F'ing suck at everything. You prison-raped a nation and managed to create a sense of entitlement unrivaled in human history. You rode on the backs of the greatest men the country has ever seen and yet still managed to drive us into a mountain."

Future Generations: "The Baby Boomers are the reason we're no longer a super-power but rather a watered-down facsimile of ourselves and a half-assed version of the same Euro-trash we kicked the teeth out of decades ago."

Fuck you guys.

This.

Earthling
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
So, another way of looking at this is that the parents of the boomers, (sometimes refered to as the greatest generation ever), were total failures in the parenting dept. and were either unable or unwilling to empart strong ethical morals and values onto the childen they fostered. Got it. :thumb:

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
This.

Its funny how political experts have said NUMEROUS times Generation X and Y will have more of a responsibility ahead of them than the baby boomers could ever dream of. Just economically for us to keep social security and medicare afloat for the baby boomer's is going to be a challenge enough. Insert environmental issues, globalization, and terrorism, and its going to be a really difficult time. And that's IF a huge war doesn't break out.

POND_OF_RED
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
If that's the case I truly pity you. If your parents and everyone have pulled the wool over your eyes enough to think your generation isn't as capable or willing as theirs, then I feel bad for you. I'm not trying to be rude. That's just sad.

Look at "That 70's Show." Its a TV show I know, but the point is it fairly accurately showed what those kids were doing at our age: smoking pot in their parents' basement and riding around on Friday Nights, listening to Free Bird.

They're no different than us. And guess what? The WWII generation? LOVED TO GO OUT DRINKING AND DRIVING, and loved to try and chase women around. The only difference is it was before women's lib so they didn't get nearly as much action.

You read way too far into things. I'm talking about the future generations to come. The mainstream media has spiraled downhill so fast since the start of reality TV it's not even funny. It's just going to get worse. That's why I said I fear for the generations to come.

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Its funny how political experts have said NUMEROUS times Generation X and Y will have more of a responsibility ahead of them than the baby boomers could ever dream of. Just economically for us to keep social security and medicare afloat for the baby boomer's is going to be a challenge enough. Insert environmental issues, globalization, and terrorism, and its going to be a really difficult time. And that's IF a huge war doesn't break out.

I'm a 1960's Gen X'r, and I couldn't agree more.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
You read way too far into things. I'm talking about the future generations to come. The mainstream media has spiraled downhill so fast since the start of reality TV it's not even funny. It's just going to get worse. That's why I said I fear for the generations to come.

So everything will be good, except from this point on?

:facepalm:

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 04:30 PM
So, another way of looking at this is that the parents of the boomers, (sometimes refered to as the greatest generation ever), were total failures in the parenting dept. and were either unable or unwilling to empart strong ethical morals and values onto the childen they fostered. Got it. :thumb:

Yeah, they were a little busy fighting global wars at the time. I know the Boomers don't remember that whole "Korea" thing because y'all weren't old enough to bitch about it yet, but those fellas were kinda busy.

I can't believe the Boomers have the stones to stand up for themselves. Seriously, look at the momentum you were given and how quickly you shat on it. Are you telling me you folks didn't create the aura of entitlement that has become so pervasive in the national mood? Don't you think the fact that we've gone from an economy built on manufacturing to one that consists almost exclusively of consumer spending falls on your shoulders?

And that's not even getting into the trillions of dollars of debt we're going to carry forward on account of your 'leadership'....

You're the David, Michael and Patrick Kennedys of history. We should've euthanized the whole damn lot of you in 1985. The geezers could've kept the trains running long enough for a worthwhile group of people to step forward.

Douche Baggins
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
One thing you can say for most baby boomers is they don't wear Ed Hardy.

ChiTown
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Yeah, they were a little busy fighting global wars at the time. I know the Boomers don't remember that whole "Korea" thing because y'all weren't old enough to bitch about it yet, but those fellas were kinda busy.

I can't believe the Boomers have the stones to stand up for themselves. Seriously, look at the momentum you were given and how quickly you shat on it. Are you telling me you folks didn't create the aura of entitlement that has become so pervasive in the national mood? Don't you think the fact that we've gone from an economy built on manufacturing to one that consists almost exclusively of consumer spending falls on your shoulders?

And that's not even getting into the trillions of dollars of debt we're going to carry forward on account of your 'leadership'....

You're the David, Michael and Patrick Kennedys of history. We should've euthanized the whole damn lot of you in 1985. The geezers could've kept the trains running long enough for a worthwhile group of people to step forward.

LMAO

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
One thing you can say for most baby boomers is they don't wear Ed Hardy.

I still don't get what's wrong with those shirts. They're a little over the top and the colors are too wild, but they're not horrible-looking...

Is it the shirt, or what it stands for? Cause if its just the shirt I must be blind or something.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 04:41 PM

You would seem be one of those "wits" that use a large paintbrush when working on a portrait. That is a lot of people you want to group together and insult with little clue to reality and basing it on what teacher told you.

Kind of like a oxymoron bumper sticker I saw the other day ...

"All broad, general statements are wrong."

Earthling
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Yeah, we were kind of busy ourselves in Nam, civil rights issues, assassination of leaders, Government cover-ups, technological explosions, and other trivial matters.

That being said, I agree there is a plethora of ills that is CURRENTLY wrong with this country. Finger pointing and name-calling is not going to change anything. What I'm trying to say is its ALL of our problem, everyones, so we need to work together to get on the right track. A LOT of our ills are a direct result of our politicians in charge. Personally I vote against every incumbent in office and i wish more people did. Get rid of the whole lot. That would be a good start.

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 04:57 PM
You would seem be one of those "wits" that use a large paintbrush when working on a portrait. That is a lot of people you want to group together and insult with little clue to reality and basing it on what teacher told you.

Kind of like a oxymoron bumper sticker I saw the other day ...

"All broad, general statements are wrong."

Yeah, I'm parroting what me teacher told me. :rolleyes:

I went to a liberal arts school. The worthless hippies that slapped on their Che Guevara shirts before they came to teach class had little bearing on my view of history. Some of us are capable of grasping the past without having it spoonfed to us; or allowing it to be force-fed to us.

One can speak in generalities while giving a nod to outliers.

In general - the Baby Boomers suck bawls.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, we were kind of busy ourselves in Nam, civil rights issues, assassination of leaders, Government cover-ups, technological explosions, and other trivial matters.

That being said, I agree there is a plethora of ills that is CURRENTLY wrong with this country. Finger pointing and name-calling is not going to change anything. What I'm trying to say is its ALL of our problem, everyones, so we need to work together to get on the right track. A LOT of our ills are a direct result of our politicians in charge. Personally I vote against every incumbent in office and i wish more people did. Get rid of the whole lot. That would be a good start.

Yep ... but it is so much easier to place blame than actually do anything other than play Nintendo.

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Martin Luther King and most of the actual leaders of the Civil Rights movements were born well before the boomers. Even phony leaders like Jessie Jackson aren't Baby Boomers.

As for 'Nam....really, that's the card you want to play? Proud of your performances in that one, are ya? I especially like how you relegated a group of conscripts to shells of themselves after the treatment they recieved when they got home.

And 'technological advancements' were at a snails pace compared to generations before and after the Boomers.

Your conclusion is sound - I've been on a 'vote for the other guy' kick for awhile now. All that said, there's simply no way the Boomers get a pass for the evils that they've inflicted on this country.

Douche Baggins
02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I still don't get what's wrong with those shirts. They're a little over the top and the colors are too wild, but they're not horrible-looking...

Is it the shirt, or what it stands for? Cause if its just the shirt I must be blind or something.

Little bit of both.

They are garish and fairly effeminate. No self-respecting male would be caught dead in one.

They scream LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I HAVE A $100 T-SHIRT ON AND WANT TO FUCK YOUR PUSSY!!!!

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I'm parroting what me teacher told me. :rolleyes:

I went to a liberal arts school. The worthless hippies that slapped on their Che Guevara shirts before they came to teach class had little bearing on my view of history. Some of us are capable of grasping the past without having it spoonfed to us; or allowing it to be force-fed to us.

One can speak in generalities while giving a nod to outliers.

In general - the Baby Boomers suck bawls.

You have no substance only venom .......:shake:

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Yep ... but it is so much easier to place blame than actually do anything other than play Nintendo.

"Get off my lawn!!!!"

You've certainly acquitted yourself nicely in this thread. Brilliant insight all around...

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
You have no substance only venom .......:shake:

Well that's certainly ironic...

Seriously, look at the momentum you were given and how quickly you shat on it. Are you telling me you folks didn't create the aura of entitlement that has become so pervasive in the national mood? Don't you think the fact that we've gone from an economy built on manufacturing to one that consists almost exclusively of consumer spending falls on your shoulders?

Let's hear it.

Give me the sparkling defense of 30 years of Boomer leadership. Government run amok, waste taken hold, rampant consumerism, the death of domestic manufacturing, a faltering moral compass and a work ethic that would embarass your average house cat.

Let's hear your 'substance', pops.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Martin Luther King and most of the actual leaders of the Civil Rights movements were born well before the boomers. Even phony leaders like Jessie Jackson aren't Baby Boomers.

As for 'Nam....really, that's the card you want to play? Proud of your performances in that one, are ya? I especially like how you relegated a group of conscripts to shells of themselves after the treatment they recieved when they got home.

And 'technological advancements' were at a snails pace compared to generations before and after the Boomers.

Your conclusion is sound - I've been on a 'vote for the other guy' kick for awhile now. All that said, there's simply no way the Boomers get a pass for the evils that they've inflicted on this country.

Nicely typed but mostly drivel ......

Lacking in substance and fact .........

IMHO ... have a nice day ......

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Nicely typed but mostly drivel ......

Lacking in substance and fact .........

IMHO ... have a nice day ......

Figured as much.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Little bit of both.

They are garish and fairly effeminate. No self-respecting male would be caught dead in one.

They scream LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! I HAVE A $100 T-SHIRT ON AND WANT TO **** YOUR PUSSY!!!!

A HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!?????!!!

Earthling
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM

King, Kennedy, these happened in my time while in school. Hell yes they affected me and how old they were is not relevant..

And as far as my service goes during Vietnam yes I am proud of that service Mother Fucker. Don't even go there.

So you think the boomers are done now as far as technology advancements?
What is your cut off date between you and them?

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
how old they were is not relevant..

Actually that's the exact point of the conversation. We're talking about generations of people, not time periods.

ChiefsCountry
02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
DJ's being a little over the top but he is not far off with his reasonsing. Like I said earlier I have spent way too much time researching this topic for a management class paper. Basically wrote a freaking book - 50 pages.

You have 5 generations in America today:
WWII
Boomers
Gen X
Gen Y
Newbies whatever the hell they decide to call them

WII geneartion is arguably the best mainly bc they went from hell to greatness.
Boomers are their kids (1945 to 1965), fairly easy life - basically have ran the world since the 90's
Gen X (1965 to 1980) kind of the lost generation, small numbers - well educated, value family, sort of grew up with technology - cable boomed during their time
Gen Y (1980 to 1995) baby boomer kids, are actually more like their grandparents than their parents in their values which is kind of shocking, love technology, love to learn - this is the most educated group by far, more than likely will pass over Gen X to rule most things - next big baby boom will happen in the next 15 to 20 years.
The Newbies - smaller generation bc they are Gen X kids, who knows what to expect but it looks like a cross between Gen Y & Gen X

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 05:44 PM
King, Kennedy, these happened in my time while in school. Hell yes they affected me and how old they were is not relevant..

And as far as my ShamWow! goes during Vietnam yes I am proud of that ShamWow! Mother ****er. Don't even go there.

So you think the boomers are done now as far as technology advancements?
What is your cut off date between you and them?

How is age not relevant when talking about the contributions of generations, again? The Baby Boomer generation was, at their very best, useful idiots for the true leaders of the civil rights movements. Once again; the Depression era and pre-war era leaders did the heavy lifting.

As for Vietnam and how it was handled, different strokes I suppose. I know I'd be ashamed had I emotionally crippled thousands of foreign war veterans based on little more than petty cruelty, but that's just me. I tip my cap to the men that served, but the behavior of the homefront was absolutely disgraceful.

I didn't define the term: '44-'60 ain't my definition; I'm simply using it. The Xers made it to '80. Those are my cutoff dates.

'44-'60 doesn't have a hell of a lot to be proud of. Oh there's a few things out there; but it's all relative. On balance, we could've certainly done without these guys.

DJ's left nut
02-09-2010, 05:48 PM
DJ's being a little over the top

Conceded.

I started off trying to be funny (though admittedly trying to drive the point home a little bit as well).

Then some asswipe comes in waving his cane around with nothing to add while proceeding to tell me that I'm essentially a naive mouthpiece for the same generation that I'm berating (really, what my teachers told me? Ugh; blow that 'you're younger than me and therefore ignorant' garbage right up your ass)

It took a needlessly vitriolic turn; my bad.

EDIT: Gen Y for the FTW!!!!! I'll bet that's a pretty interesting paper.

Earthling
02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
DJ's being a little over the top but he is not far off with his reasonsing. Like I said earlier I have spent way too much time researching this topic for a management class paper. Basically wrote a freaking book - 50 pages.

You have 5 generations in America today:
WWII
Boomers
Gen X
Gen Y
Newbies whatever the hell they decide to call them

WII geneartion is arguably the best mainly bc they went from hell to greatness.
Boomers are their kids (1945 to 1965), fairly easy life - basically have ran the world since the 90's
Gen X (1965 to 1980) kind of the lost generation, small numbers - well educated, value family, sort of grew up with technology - cable boomed during their time
Gen Y (1980 to 1995) baby boomer kids, are actually more like their grandparents than their parents in their values which is kind of shocking, love technology, love to learn - this is the most educated group by far, more than likely will pass over Gen X to rule most things - next big baby boom will happen in the next 15 to 20 years.
The Newbies - smaller generation bc they are Gen X kids, who knows what to expect but it looks like a cross between Gen Y & Gen X

Thank you for the info. Would you say, using your chronology, that prior to 1990 the country was run by the WWll generation?

Earthling
02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
DJ...While I will agree with a lot of your input I will tell you that I personally had no responsibility for most of the mess. In fact, your description of boomers was a burr in my saddle because I was quite different than what you describe. I enlisted in the service, during the draft, and am very touchy about the whole Nam 'conflict'. I witnessed the animosity from the civilians turned towards the servicemen, rather than the politicians who put us there. Sorry if i lost my cool when I called you Mother Fucker. Like i said I am very proud to have served.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Thank you for the info. Would you say, using your chronology, that prior to 1990 the country was run by the WWll generation?

The first Baby Boomer President was Bill Clinton.

Dave Lane
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Your right lets see what the most worthless generation ever did for anyone.

The Internet but hey whats that.
All personal hungry, hungry hippos ala PCs
All game consoles
MP3 players
Stereo (We may lose some points for the 8 track tape)
Calculators and really almost all electronics as we know them today
Most space knowledge (WWII generation gets credit for moon landing)
Rock and Roll
Civil Rights
Womens Rights
Star Wars
The Godfather
Lord of the Rings
Protesting wars in a way that actually altered the political landscape.
The Beatles (yes they get their own category so should Pink Floyd but I digress)
Clean Air standards
A movement many scuff at but seeks to conserve environmental resources

Thats 3 minutes of thinking about it.

The X and Y generation so far have given us:

shhhh
Miley Cyrus
Twilight
Lady Gaga
Anime

I miss anything?

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 06:37 PM

All game consoles
MP3 players
Rock and Roll
Civil Rights
Womens Rights
Star Wars
The Godfather
Lord of the Rings
The Beatles (yes they get their own category so should Pink Floyd but I digress)
Clean Air standards

shhhh
Miley Cyrus
Twilight
Lady Gaga
Anime

I miss anything?

Some of that stuff BBs can't claim. Like Rock and Roll. Chuck Berry started that stuff and he's no baby boomer. Civil and Women's rights were mostly comprised of people who were already adults in the late 60s and early 70s Mario Puzo, nor Scorcese are Boomers. Nither Paul or John are boomers, and Tolkien was born in 1892!

We're not debating whether or not the 60s and 70s were an influential time, we're debating whether or not the Baby Boomers had anything to do with it.

ChiefsCountry
02-09-2010, 06:41 PM

I would say about the time Clinton took office is when the shift took place.

Brock
02-09-2010, 06:41 PM

All game consoles
MP3 players
Rock and Roll
Civil Rights
Womens Rights
Star Wars
The Godfather
Lord of the Rings
Clean Air standards

shhhh
Miley Cyrus
Twilight
Lady Gaga
Anime

I miss anything?

Yay, your generation has done more for meaningless consumerism than any other! Congrats!

ChiefsCountry
02-09-2010, 06:46 PM
I'll bet that's a pretty interesting paper.

It really was, it was an eye opener for me. I mean when you are reading Harvard, Yale, Penn School of Business type articles about this stuff, it really opens your eyes. Generation Y is going to be a mover and shaker generation and its started already. It was hard for me to believe some of the stuff written about it and until I actually got into the workplace and out of college did I realize how true it is.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 06:49 PM
You want to know who is really the best generation ever?

I'll tell you right now...

MY GENERATION!

Which one is that, it depends on whoever is reading it.

No one is going to say that they aren't the best. If they do they're way more open-minded and intelligent than most.

Dave Lane
02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Some of that stuff BBs can't claim. Like Rock and Roll. Chuck Berry started that stuff and he's no baby boomer. Civil and Women's rights were mostly comprised of people who were already adults in the late 60s and early 70s Mario Puzo, nor Scorcese are Boomers. Nither Paul or John are boomers, and Tolkien was born in 1892!

We're not debating whether or not the 60s and 70s were an influential time, we're debating whether or not the Baby Boomers had anything to do with it.

The boomers were huge in the equation. There was profound Social change from BBers and it was really the first time that young people really became activists in politics and life. Look at the pictures of the protestors for all the above items and you will see mostly young people most of whom were BBers driving change. As to your other points.

I was talking about the Godfather Movies and Lord of the Rings movies by BBers

The Beatles were complete BB and marked really the evolution from Berry, Elvis and Rock-a-billy to what we now call "classic rock and roll" ie Zepplin, Hendrix etc.

Dave Lane
02-09-2010, 06:55 PM
You want to know who is really the best generation ever?

I'll tell you right now...

MY GENERATION!

Which one is that, it depends on whoever is reading it.

No one is going to say that they aren't the best. If they do they're way more open-minded and intelligent than most.

I'm not saying ours (BBers) were the greatest ever but to say its the most worthless useless generation is history as has been claimed in this thread is completely ludicrous.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm not saying ours (BBers) were the greatest ever but to say its the most worthless useless generation is history as has been claimed in this thread is completely ludicrous.

That belongs to the 1260ers... F*ckin lazy bums.

Rausch
02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Yay, your generation has done more for meaningless consumerism than any other! Congrats!

Couldn't agree more.

Today, even on welfare, you can buy your kids an iPod.

Did baby boomers have a color TV or an expensive bike if they were broke?

No.

Hell, I think my parents got the faimly a VCR in like 90 or 91.

Broke use to mean you didn't have nice $3it. Now it's possible to have SOME nice $3it and really not make squat. When this happens that "perspective" that is gained from struggling goes away.

There's now this insane belief that things like suffering, sacrifice, and want are temporary inconveniences. They aren't.

They're the reality for most nations, most of this nation's history, and pretty much all of recorded history save the last 40 years in this country...

Brock
02-09-2010, 07:00 PM
That war protesting crap is a big part of what I'm talking about. Yeah, you protested Vietnam, war is bad, blah blah blah, until you're the ones in power and suddenly starting wars and sending the next generation overseas to die is necessary and cool. Running the economy into the ground is fine, after all, you guys got yours. Bunch of hypocrites. It amazes me that a generation of people who survived the great depression and a world war had this bunch of characterless egotists spring from their loins.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I'll have to go back and read through this thread. I haven't followed it, but I see what we're discussing now so I'd love to weigh in.

Baby boomers are the sole reason this country has turned into an entitlement rich cesspool. You all think you're owed something, you contribute very little to society as a whole, and you'll all continue leaching off of future generations until the day that you die off.

You've brought little to nothing to the table except a bad attitude, a me first mentality, and the pussification of America. Thanks for your contributions.

OtisJohnson
02-09-2010, 07:11 PM
"All that said, there's simply no way the Boomers get a pass for the evils that they've inflicted on this country."

The greatest of which was "creating" generations x and y ;) .....

alanm
02-09-2010, 07:22 PM

**** you guys.Refine that to say the progressive baby boomers.

Rausch
02-09-2010, 09:49 PM
It amazes me that a generation of people who survived the great depression and a world war had this bunch of characterless egotists spring from their loins.

Why?...

Douche Baggins
02-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Lord of the Rings

Nay on this.

Tolkien was a WWI veteran.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
That war protesting crap is a big part of what I'm talking about. Yeah, you protested Vietnam, war is bad, blah blah blah, until you're the ones in power and suddenly starting wars and sending the next generation overseas to die is necessary and cool. Running the economy into the ground is fine, after all, you guys got yours. Bunch of hypocrites. It amazes me that a generation of people who survived the great depression and a world war had this bunch of characterless egotists spring from their loins.

Out on the road today/
I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-10-2010, 12:01 AM

Hunter S. Thompson called it Generation Swine for a reason.

Mastashake
02-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Hunter S. Thompson called it Generation Swine for a reason.

You know people tried to put the Baby Boomers down. Just because they g-g-g-got around.

I'm just saying. Every generation likes to put the new generation down. And then as they get older, it happens again.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Dave, I can't believe that you can say with a straight face that Miley Cyrus, Twilight, etc, come from Gen X or Gen Y.

Who do you think corporatized music to the point where all individuality is gone? The performers may be Gen Yers, but they are corporate creations of the Baby Boomers.

The BB's may have pushed for Women's rights and Civil Rights, but they were on the ass end of that train. The CR act was passed when the oldest boomers were 18. And Women's Lib goes all the way back to the 19th Century w/ first wave feminism. Furthermore, boomers who pushed for Women's Lib did so almost entirely for the purposes of affluent white women, which itself necessitated a third wave of feminism to speak to the problems of women of color, of different sexual orientations, etc.

They did a good job of protesting Vietnam, and then once they reached power they completely neutered the media and turned it into an entertainment model rather than an information model.

They helped create the junk bond, Savings and Loans debacles, and the subprime mortgage crisis. They stood by while a $1 trillion dollar deficit was quadrupled in 12 years, and said nothing while we continued to subsidize the military industrial complex to the tune of spending the equivalent of 6 months worth of groceries for every American family for development of the MX missile, which was fucking canceled.

SDI
Voodoo Economics
Ignoring AIDS
The "War" on Drugs (more like the War on the Inner City)
Gentrification
Increasing CEO comp from 25 to 500 times the average worker's salary
Outsourcing
Post-industrialism
Globalization
"Free" Trade
WTO
"Family Values"
Iran Contra
Operation Cyclone.

I'd also like to know why all these fucking pieces of shit protesting Vietnam were doing nothing whenever we were fucking around in Central America, financing death squads that killed American motherfucking citizens.

Fuck the Baby Boomers in the motherfucking neck with a carbide tipped circular saw blade. They fucking garroted this country with a piano wire.

Mastashake
02-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Dave, I can't believe that you can say with a straight face that Miley Cyrus, Twilight, etc, come from Gen X or Gen Y.

Who do you think corporatized music to the point where all individuality is gone? The performers may be Gen Yers, but they are corporate creations of the Baby Boomers.

The BB's may have pushed for Women's rights and Civil Rights, but they were on the ass end of that train. The CR act was passed when the oldest boomers were 18. And Women's Lib goes all the way back to the 19th Century w/ first wave feminism. Furthermore, boomers who pushed for Women's Lib did so almost entirely for the purposes of affluent white women, which itself necessitated a third wave of feminism to speak to the problems of women of color, of different sexual orientations, etc.

They did a good job of protesting Vietnam, and then once they reached power they completely neutered the media and turned it into an entertainment model rather than an information model.

They helped create the junk bond, Savings and Loans debacles, and the subprime mortgage crisis. They stood by while a $1 trillion dollar deficit was quadrupled in 12 years, and said nothing while we continued to subsidize the military industrial complex to the tune of spending the equivalent of 6 months worth of groceries for every American family for development of the MX missile, which was ****ing canceled.

SDI
Voodoo Economics
Ignoring AIDS
Gentrification
Outsourcing
Post-industrialism
Globalization
"Free" Trade
WTO
"Family Values"
Iran Contra
Operation Cyclone.

I'd also like to know why all these ****ing pieces of shit protesting Vietnam were doing nothing whenever we were ****ing around in Central America, financing death squads that killed American mother****ing citizens.

**** the Baby Boomers in the mother****ing neck with a carbide tipped circular saw blade. They ****ing garroted this country with a piano wire.

What a well thought out post. Way to bring it!

REP!

BTW the reason they didn't bitch about Central America is because the government TRIED (weakly) to keep it from the people, and everyone kind of turned their head. Vietnam was in your face. Also, we had a lot more to gain by converting Panama than we did converting Vietnam. At least, that's my opinion.

verbaljitsu
02-10-2010, 01:59 AM
I would like to read ChiefsCountry's paper.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-10-2010, 06:24 AM
What a well thought out post. Way to bring it!

REP!

BTW the reason they didn't bitch about Central America is because the government TRIED (weakly) to keep it from the people, and everyone kind of turned their head. Vietnam was in your face. Also, we had a lot more to gain by converting Panama than we did converting Vietnam. At least, that's my opinion.

What about Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala?

See, here's the problem: The media could have followed up on those stories, and the people could have agitated to hear more about them. But once the BB's assumed power, complacency became the rule of the day.

Sannyasi
02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Any discussion about the merits of one generation over another is rather pointless; all generation boundaries are fluid. If you really want to tie groups of people together to assess blame, there are much less arbitrary ways of doing so than simply "If you were born between 1945-1960, then you are an idiot and have ruined this country!"

DJ's left nut
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I'll have to go back and read through this thread. I haven't followed it, but I see what we're discussing now so I'd love to weigh in.

Baby boomers are the sole reason this country has turned into an entitlement rich cesspool. You all think you're owed something, you contribute very little to society as a whole, and you'll all continue leaching off of future generations until the day that you die off.

You've brought little to nothing to the table except a bad attitude, a me first mentality, and the pussification of America. Thanks for your contributions.

This is my thought.

My biggest gripe with the Boomers is where we presently stand as a nation.

We're a country that looks to the government to save us. We look to blame our hassles on those more successful than us and cry to Uncle Sam to bail us out.

Who do you think is responsible for that? It started well before Gen-X had any say so. It damn sure wasn't the the WWII generation (ever talk to someone born in 1930? Those MFers are grizzled as hell).

No, the current climate of entitlement is directly attributable to the spoiled Boomers. We're a nation with no pride in itself because the Boomers spent 30 years telling us how badly we suck. Now instead of knowing we have the ability to bow our backs and pull ourselves through anything, we simply turn to the almighty government and wait for them to bail us out.

There is just no denying it. Our current outlook on self-sufficiency and independence comes directly from the influence of the Boomers.

Even if I give them credit for worlds of technological advancement, they've likely irreversably damaged the strength of the nation - its sense of self-sufficiency.

rambleonthruthefog
02-10-2010, 09:42 AM
is it possible that we are letting the WWII generation off the hook a little bit simply because they made it through the great depression and defeated the nazis? after thinkin bout it quite a bit, i think the greatest generation might not be. After WWII the rise to fall really began. is the greatest generation really just a bunch of closeminded simpletons that thinks since they won the war we are the greatest ever and can do whatever we want. did they set us up for failure by raising a bunch of children who believed that america can do whatever it wants to whomever it wants, whenever it wants? The ego created by winning that world war led a generation to think that them and their kids were entitled/deserving of all the worlds riches. sounds similar to many other dynastys/empires.

perhaps they weren't americas greatest generation, and perhaps they are to blame for the failures of the baby boomers. they did raise them.

DJ's left nut
02-10-2010, 09:47 AM
is it possible that we are letting the WWII generation off the hook a little bit simply because they made it through the great depression and defeated the nazis? after thinkin bout it quite a bit. After WWII the rise to fall really began. is the greatest generation really just a bunch of closeminded simpletons that thinks since they won the war we are the greatest ever and can do whatever we want. did they set us up for failure by raising a bunch of children who believed that america can do whatever it wants to whomever it wants, whenever it wants? The ego created by winning that world war led a generation to think that them and their kids were entitled/deserving of all the worlds riches. sounds similar to many other dynastys/empires.

perhaps they weren't americas greatest generation, and perhaps they are to blame for the failures of the baby boomers. they did raise them.

I'd say "getting through the great depression and defeating the nazis" carries a bit of weight. You seem to be dismissing the 2 most important events of the last 120 years (and easily the 2 most important events in shaping America as a superpower) as little more than blips on the radar.

Not to mention Korea and the fact that these guys were the unquestioned labor force when we were dragging ourselves to the peak of the industrial mountain. When we went racing by the rest of the world, the WWII generation was at the wheel.

Now they do get some of the blame for raising the era of entitled brats that have since given back most of their gains, but at some point blaming mommy and daddy for being a fuckup doesn't fly.

The Boomers shoulder their own load for failing to run with what they were given.

Dave Lane
02-10-2010, 09:56 AM

And your generations accomplishments would be? Seriously yours has to be the most worthless generation to date. Congrats on that. You still have time though so lets see what you end up doing. I will take major points off BBers list for coddling and spoiling you with every worthless safety device known to man.

Dave Lane
02-10-2010, 09:57 AM
is it possible that we are letting the WWII generation off the hook a little bit simply because they made it through the great depression and defeated the nazis? after thinkin bout it quite a bit, i think the greatest generation might not be. After WWII the rise to fall really began. is the greatest generation really just a bunch of closeminded simpletons that thinks since they won the war we are the greatest ever and can do whatever we want. did they set us up for failure by raising a bunch of children who believed that america can do whatever it wants to whomever it wants, whenever it wants? The ego created by winning that world war led a generation to think that them and their kids were entitled/deserving of all the worlds riches. sounds similar to many other dynastys/empires.

I'd like to add they created false patriotism like singing the nation anthem at sporting events and putting flags on everything.

stevieray
02-10-2010, 10:03 AM
And your generations accomplishments would be? Seriously yours has to be the most worthless generation to date. Congrats on that. You still have time though so lets see what you end up doing. I will take major points off BBers list for coddling and spoiling you with every worthless safety device known to man.
this post is as stupid as your original post....shocking, because it's hard to believe that was even possible.

Hydrae
02-10-2010, 10:04 AM

I second that

rambleonthruthefog
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
I'd say "getting through the great depression and defeating the nazis" carries a bit of weight. You seem to be dismissing the 2 most important events of the last 120 years (and easily the 2 most important events in shaping America as a superpower) as little more than blips on the radar.

Not to mention Korea and the fact that these guys were the unquestioned labor force when we were dragging ourselves to the peak of the industrial mountain. When we went racing by the rest of the world, the WWII generation was at the wheel.

Now they do get some of the blame for raising the era of entitled brats that have since given back most of their gains, but at some point blaming mommy and daddy for being a ****up doesn't fly.

The Boomers shoulder their own load for failing to run with what they were given.

for the most part i'm with you on the BB. I'm not sure i like your closeminded/sh*tty attitude about it though. I was just tryin to throw another line of thought out there. seems to me as though we are completely letting the WWII generation off the hook. i likin them to the star quarterback who is also a dick. sure hes good lookin', athletic, rich, and hung, but hes also a bully who doesnt' think about the ramifications of his actions.

ChiTown
02-10-2010, 10:21 AM
If you fight through the venom and cheap shots, this is actually an interesting thread. I'm a bit torn myself, as I have siblings that are boomers, and I'm not technically one myself. I can definitely see the whole entitlement and waste side of the equation. My biggest beef with boomers is that they took a Proud Nation that had prided itself in Manufacturing and Labor, and turned it into a culture of outsourcing and service industries (pushing paper).

Earthling
02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
My biggest beef with boomers is that they took a Proud Nation that had prided itself in Manufacturing and Labor, and turned it into a culture of outsourcing and ShamWow! industries (pushing paper).

This country sold out in the 60's and 70's...during the time the bb's were not yet in charge. I believe this happened because the bottom line, profit, became more important than pride in our work and putting out a quality product. 'Made in America' use to mean dependable and quality. IMHO

Not to say the bb's didn't contribute to the mess but they certainly weren't to blame for all of it.

Brock
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Well, for one thing, we'll be supporting your old ass, which won't be an easy task since there's so many of you with your snout in the trough.

Earthling
02-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Well, for one thing, we'll be supporting your old ass, which won't be an easy task since there's so many of you with your snout in the trough.

LMAO

Coyote
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM

To use a Gen Y term; Shack. Gen X term; 100/100 BDA. Boom Gen; target destroyed.

Highly entertaining discussion. As a very late Boomer myself that was trained by Boomers and lead Gen X and Y's in combat, I had to bridge these groups, I trust Y's above all others, then Xs. Boomers just don't pack the gear, but constantly chatter about their experiences in the 60s.

shack n. a direct hit on a target by a bomb or missile. As in destroyed the old dude's sJason Whitlock.
BDA: Battle damage assessment. 100% of the ordnance destroyed 100% of the target.

Coyote
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
WTF, Type Shack get Jason Whitlock

alanm
02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Well, for one thing, we'll be supporting your old ass, which won't be an easy task since there's so many of you with your snout in the trough.So get back to work and quit wasting time.
And thank you. :D

DJ's left nut
02-10-2010, 01:40 PM

So let me get this straight.

Your generation was handed a rising superpower, a clean economic slate and the most dominant manufacturing base the world has ever known.

You'll be handing your successors a runaway debt, an economy based on little more than spending, and a global joke due to our waffling.

And your response to this is "Oh yeah, I'll bet you screw it up even worse than we did."

If we don't, it'll be a Goddamn miracle. We have a MASSIVE hole to crawl out of due to your efforts.

Thanks again.

DJ's left nut
02-10-2010, 02:02 PM

The Al Gore but hey whats that.
All game consoles
MP3 players
Rock and Roll
Civil Rights
Womens Rights
Star Wars
The Godfather
Lord of the Rings
Clean Air standards

shhhh
Miley Cyrus
Twilight
Lady Gaga
Anime

I miss anything?

Wow, I failed to realize how little sense this list makes.

Civil rights? Women's Lib? Once again - those movements came well before the Boomers had any say. Rock and Roll - same animal. The Clean air act was passed in 1970...lots of 6 yr olds in the Senate were there?

MP3 players? Just how much credit are you willing to take for the efforts of the 20 somethings that came up with that stuff in the mid-90s? GenX gets a ton of credit for the current crop of personal electronics; it wasn't 50 yr olds coming up with these gadgets. And quit trying to take credit for things that arose during the era of the baby boomers but had little to do with them (i.e. Calculators).

The Beatles were freakin' British...AND weren't Baby Boomers.

The Godfather? Nevermind the fact that Puzo was a depression era baby, as was Coppola. The freakin' actors in it weren't even Boomers.

Space knowledge? We made more strides in the 25 years after the war than the 40 years since. Even the Shuttle isn't a 'Boomer' creation; development on it started in the early 60's, before the moon landing. Y'all can get a little credit for piloting it, but it was mostly the grey around the temples WWII folks that were still controlling the science in NASA through the late 80s. Y'all get credit for Hubbel, I'll give you that.

Protesting wars effectively? Yeah, in the same way that Scott Roeder effectively protested abortion. Way to kill the patient there, doc. You turned thousands of young men into enemies of the state and fringe elements of society in order to appease yourselves, congrats. As for altered the political landscape, yeah, we've certainly come a long way politically on the domestic and world-stage. I'll go ahead and take our pre-1970 political climate, thanks.

The irony being that most of the best things you mentioned in your posts are things that arose during the generation of the boomers but the boomers actually had little to do with them. In other words, once again, you rode on the backs of the WWII generation.

Pablo
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Civil rights? Women's Lib? Once again - those movements came well before the Boomers had any say. Rock and Roll - same animal. The Clean air act was passed in 1970...lots of 6 yr olds in the Senate were there?

MP3 players? Just how much credit are you willing to take for the efforts of the 20 somethings that came up with that stuff in the mid-90s? GenX gets a ton of credit for the current crop of personal electronics; it wasn't 50 yr olds coming up with these gadgets. And quit trying to take credit for things that arose during the era of the baby boomers but had little to do with them (i.e. Calculators).

The Godfather? Nevermind the fact that Puzo was a depression era baby, as was Coppola. The freakin' actors in it weren't even Boomers.

Space knowledge? We made more strides in the 25 years after the war than the 40 years since. Even the Shuttle isn't a 'Boomer' creation; development on it started in the early 60's, before the moon landing. Y'all can get a little credit for piloting it, but it was mostly the grey around the temples WWII folks that were still controlling the science in NASA through the late 80s. Y'all get credit for Hubbel, I'll give you that.

Protesting wars effectively? Yeah, in the same way that Scott Roeder effectively protested abortion. Way to kill the patient there, doc. You turned thousands of young men into enemies of the state and fringe elements of society in order to appease yourselves, congrats. As for altered the political landscape, yeah, we've certainly come a long way politically on the domestic and world-stage. I'll go ahead and take our pre-1970 political climate, thanks.

The irony being that most of the best things you mentioned in your posts are things that arose during the generation of the boomers but the boomers actually had little to do with them. In other words, once again, you rode on the backs of the WWII generation.Target acquired.

Target destroyed.

ChiTown
02-10-2010, 03:06 PM

The irony being that most of the best things you mentioned in your posts are things that arose during the generation of the boomers but the boomers actually had little to do with them. In other words, once again, you rode on the backs of the WWII generation.

Not to pick nits, but the first Clean Air Legislation was initially proposed and passed in 1955 - called the Air Pollution Control Act. In 1963, they passed the original Clean Air Act. It was massively revised in 1970, and again in 1990. Just a FYI.

So, there were probably quite a few Boomers involved in the 1990 Legislation, and I would doubt there were any (23-24 yr old Boomers, those born in 1946) involved in the 1970 Act.

ChiefsCountry
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM

The information is good but the paper sucks monkey balls. I suck at writing, thats why I am in marketing and not teaching English. ;)

Mr. Kotter
02-10-2010, 07:06 PM
I haven't read the thread yet, but I thought as a tail-end Boomer who's taught HS for the past 17 years...I thought I'd throw in my own two cents.

I often read about how awful kids are today, or how we are really going to be in trouble when they take over the reins of our nation. Frankly though, I just don’t see it. I really don’t think things have changed nearly as much as some would have us believe. Sure there are modern challenges and circumstances that are unique, and some seem overwhelming. However, overall today’s kids are just as capable and have potential to be leaders who will do just fine—probably much better than Boomers, truth be told. As Boomers, we are over-rated and more than a bit full of ourselves. My major beef with kids today...is they think they are much wiser than they are, and don't value experience as they should. Of course, every generation is guilty of that.

As a nation we've all been fortunate to have lived in the wake of the Greatest Generation--my generation's grandparents. Frankly, although Boomers jumped on the feminist and civil rights movement late and piggy-backed on the economic and technology booms created by those who endured the Depression and won WWII and the Cold War, I'm often embarrassed to call myself a baby-boomer. Born in 1963, I prefer to consider myself at the front-end of Generation X although that doesn’t usually fly.

Don't get me wrong, sweeping generalizations do not apply to everyone. There are always exceptions, and very often people a product of their times. However, the Greatest Generation rose to the challenges presented to them, but in many ways they failed their own children by wanting to give them everything—because living amidst the prosperity of the 50s, they could...but then they created a self-centered and nihilist culture (in their children) that was much more cavalier and decadent than America's past. Woodstock, the Counterculture, drugs, sexual revolution yes but also promiscuity, and an increasingly materialistic society was predictable (given how Boomers tried to compensate and insulate their own kids.)

Each generation has a tendency to view the previous and subsequent generations through its own sentimental and unrealistic lenses. That’s nothing new. However, I think my theory is borne out in my own experience. Kids born to Boomers, earlier in my career had more issues and were more difficult in many ways than kids who I’ve had more recently (who were children of Generation X types.)

The difference seems to be that Boomers passed on their own narcissist values to their children….while I see more of the altruism, selflessness, respect, and courtesy of the "Greatest Generation" alive in the children of Generation X types. I know every school is different, and that today’s kids do present some challenges—but they aren’t that nearly as “different” from previous generations as some would lead us to believe. America is going to do just fine--as long as we give today's kids the same opportunities as we have had. And that's a big, big "if" given cultural trends--but that's another topic.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I haven't read the thread yet, but I thought as a tail-end Boomer who's taught HS for the past 17 years...I thought I'd throw in my own two cents.

I often read about how awful kids are today, or how we are really going to be in trouble when they take over the reins of our nation. Frankly though, I just don’t see it. I really don’t think things have changed nearly as much as some would have us believe. Sure there are modern challenges and circumstances that are unique, and some seem overwhelming. However, overall today’s kids are just as capable and have potential to be leaders who will do just fine—probably much better than Boomers, truth be told. As Boomers, we are over-rated and more than a bit full of ourselves. My major beef with kids today...is they think they are much wiser than they are, and don't value experience as they should. Of course, every generation is guilty of that.

As a nation we've all been fortunate to have lived in the wake of the Greatest Generation--my generation's grandparents. Frankly, although Boomers jumped on the feminist and civil rights movement late and piggy-backed on the economic and technology booms created by those who endured the Depression and won WWII and the Cold War, I'm often embarrassed to call myself a baby-boomer. Born in 1963, I prefer to consider myself at the front-end of Generation X although that doesn’t usually fly.

Don't get me wrong, sweeping generalizations do not apply to everyone. There are always exceptions, and very often people a product of their times. However, the Greatest Generation rose to the challenges presented to them, but in many ways they failed their own children by wanting to give them everything—because living amidst the prosperity of the 50s, they could...but then they created a self-centered and nihilist culture (in their children) that was much more cavalier and decadent than America's past. Woodstock, the Counterculture, drugs, sexual revolution yes but also promiscuity, and an increasingly materialistic society was predictable (given how Boomers tried to compensate and insulate their own kids.)

Each generation has a tendency to view the previous and subsequent generations through its own sentimental and unrealistic lenses. That’s nothing new. However, I think my theory is borne out in my own experience. Kids born to Boomers, earlier in my career had more issues and were more difficult in many ways than kids who I’ve had more recently (who were children of Generation X types.)

The difference seems to be that Boomers passed on their own narcissist values to their children….while I see more of the altruism, selflessness, respect, and courtesy of the "Greatest Generation" alive in the children of Generation X types. I know every school is different, and that today’s kids do present some challenges—but they aren’t that nearly as “different” from previous generations as some would lead us to believe. America is going to do just fine--as long as we give today's kids the same opportunities as we have had. And that's a big, big "if" given cultural trends--but that's another topic.

That's a great post Mr. Kotter. Being a gen xer that has no children, I'm glad to know that my peers learned from the mistakes of all of our parents. It gives me hope that we'll move past the entitlement generation and back towards the self sufficient values that made this country the greatest place on Earth.

Of course, I'm talking about society as a whole and not individuals as well.

Dave Lane
02-10-2010, 08:22 PM

They helped create the junk bond, Savings and Loans debacles, and the subprime mortgage crisis. They stood by while a $1 trillion dollar deficit was quadrupled in 12 years, and said nothing while we continued to subsidize the military industrial complex to the tune of spending the equivalent of 6 months worth of groceries for every American family for development of the MX missile, which was ****ing canceled.

SDI
Voodoo Economics
Ignoring AIDS
Gentrification
Outsourcing
Post-industrialism
Globalization
"Free" Trade
WTO
"Family Values"
Iran Contra
Operation Cyclone.

I'd also like to know why all these ****ing pieces of shit protesting Vietnam were doing nothing whenever we were ****ing around in Central America, financing death squads that killed American mother****ing citizens.

**** the Baby Boomers in the mother****ing neck with a carbide tipped circular saw blade. They ****ing garroted this country with a piano wire.

This sounds like an indictment of Ronald Reagan more than anything else.

Dave Lane
02-10-2010, 08:23 PM
this post is as stupid as your original post....shocking, because it's hard to believe that was even possible.

OK since its Stevie's generation I blame him entirely.

Mr. Kotter
02-10-2010, 08:30 PM
That's a great post Mr. Kotter. Being a gen xer that has no children, I'm glad to know that my peers learned from the mistakes of all of our parents. It gives me hope that we'll move past the entitlement generation and back towards the self sufficient values that made this country the greatest place on Earth.

Of course, I'm talking about society as a whole and not individuals as well.

Yep. It seems to be an every other, or every third generation phenomena....think about it: Gilded Age & 1890s, 1920s, 1960s....each seems to have a "the youngest child" syndrome going on, in which rebellion and questioning of authority lead to some good change that is often counter-balanced by excessess and nihilism--it's the difference between questioning authority, and being a rebel without a cause who only cares about sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll. As such, children born in the 1990s may be "next" in that line. We may be BEGINNING to see them trickle into the middle schools...according to some of the reports I'm hearing. However, I'll reserve judgement until I see myself.

Dottefan
02-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Baby boomers...god , if only they would just go away.

Earthling
02-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Baby boomers...god , if only they would just go away.

Just remember one thing...If they hadn't existed neither would you. :p