PDA

View Full Version : News Science Fiction Becomes Reality, Again.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 11:31 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/sprayon-miracle-could-revolutionise-manufacturing-1885158.html

It sounds too good to be true: a non-toxic spray invisible to the human eye that protects almost any surface against dirt and bacteria, whether it is hospital equipment and bandages or ancient stone monuments and expensive fabrics.

But true it is. The spray is a form of "liquid glass" and is harmless to living things and the wider environment. It is being touted as one of the most important, environmentally-friendly products to emerge from the field of nanotechnology, which deals in objects at the molecular end of the size scale.
Tests have revealed an astonishing variety of potential uses for the liquid glass, from protecting vineyards against fungal attacks to coating medical implants with non-stick, antibacterial surfaces. Scientists have even used it to spray fabric with an invisible, dirt-resistant film – emulating the fictional invention of unstainable clothing in the 1951 Ealing comedy Tony Orlando and Dawn in the White Suit.

Rain Man
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
After 100 years of use, everything on earth will be covered with this stuff due to spatter during application. Plants won't be able to do photosynthesis through the liquid glass and they'll die. Liquid glass will infiltrate our electronics and wipe out our infrastructure. People and animals won't be able to digest liquid-glass covered food and will all die. But since we're all covered with liquid glass the bacteria can't get to us to decompose us. Five billion years from now, aliens will discover our liquid glass-covered planet as it if was frozen in time, and they'll photograph it extensively, not understanding the phenomenon. And then they'll discover liquid glass as they're studying us, and will put it to use in their own civilization, believing it to be almost too good to be true.

ChiefaRoo
02-09-2010, 11:40 AM
After 100 years of use, everything on earth will be covered with this stuff due to spatter during application. Plants won't be able to do photosynthesis through the liquid glass and they'll die. Liquid glass will infiltrate our electronics and wipe out our infrastructure. People and animals won't be able to digest liquid-glass covered food and will all die. But since we're all covered with liquid glass the bacteria can't get to us to decompose us. Five billion years from now, aliens will discover our liquid glass-covered planet as it if was frozen in time, and they'll photograph it extensively, not understanding the phenomenon. And then they'll discover liquid glass as they're studying us, and will put it to use in their own civilization, believing it to be almost too good to be true.

Cool. Can I spray it on my dog so she won't give me allergies?

Rain Man
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Cool. Can I spray it on my dog so she won't give me allergies?

Sure. Spray it on everything. It's going to change the world.

tyton75
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Its supposedly breathable

Mr. Laz
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Its supposedly breathable
and what keeps it from bonding to the inside of your lung preventing your from ever absorbing oxygen into your lungs/blood/body again?

not to go all "rainman" on you or anything

stumppy
02-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Hell Yes !

No more condoms.

orange
02-09-2010, 11:54 AM
the 1951 Ealing comedy Tony Orlando and Dawn in the White Suit.

The missing link = Edie McClurg

bevischief
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
and what keeps it from bonding to the inside of your lung preventing your from ever absorbing oxygen into your lungs/blood/body again?

not to go all "rainman" on you or anything

Magic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Earthling
02-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Hehehe!! ROFL

Earthling
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
But can it work like fix-a-flat? I'll try it on my wife and let you know...

Goldmember
02-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Hell Yes !

No more condoms.

For many years, I've been thinking whoever invents a spray on condom will become a billionaire. I doubt it this product will protect you from STD's however. You also probably need some type of cap to cover the mouth of the penis, maybe a golf tee or something.

JD10367
02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I think I'll pass. Aside from the lung-blocking and pore-clogging possibilities, IMO we're "antibacterializing" ourselves into extinction.

Embrace the bacteria. Wriggle in the dirt. For crissakes, our parents and grandparents didn't have this shit, and they lived to be 90.

JD10367
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
P.S.: However, in the spirit of this thread, if they can manage to create a chick with three tits like in "Total Recall".... I'm in.

Dayze
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
For many years, I've been thinking whoever invents a spray on condom will become a billionaire. I doubt it this product will protect you from STD's however. You also probably need some type of cap to cover the mouth of the penis, maybe a golf tee or something.

ROFLROFL

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1832445,00.html

Spray-On Condoms: Still a Hard Sell

.............. "As a teenager, Krause, now 30, had trouble finding the right size condom, which set him on a quest to aid other similarly befuddled young men." ..............

==========================

That's the title of the article, pun intended? Definetly not a soft sell ...........

hmmmm

kepp
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM

So, kind of a spray-on SkyNet?

irishjayhawk
02-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Hell Yes !

No more condoms.

Someone already posted it but they've gotten really far with this idea. They're in the testing phase.

MagicHef
02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I think I'll pass. Aside from the lung-blocking and pore-clogging possibilities, IMO we're "antibacterializing" ourselves into extinction.

Embrace the bacteria. Wriggle in the dirt. For crissakes, our parents and grandparents didn't have this shit, and they lived to be 90.

The human immune system is meant to encounter harmful viruses and bacteria. There is a reason that autoimmune diseases are on the rise in the developed world.

Rain Man
02-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Someone already posted it but they've gotten really far with this idea. They're in the testing phase.

How are they testing it? Seems like a good gig if you're answering that ad for clinical testing?

Receptionist: "Hi, may I help you?"

Person: "Yeah, I'm here to participate in your clinical trials."

Receptionist: "Certainly. You'll get paid fifty dollars. Now, are you here for the leprosy exposure tests or the spray-on condom tests?"

Person: "Condoms."

Receptionist: "Okay, here are the forms. Be sure to mark whether you'd prefer a brunette, blonde, or redhead."

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 02:22 PM
How are they testing it? Seems like a good gig if you're answering that ad for clinical testing?

Receptionist: "Hi, may I help you?"

Person: "Yeah, I'm here to participate in your clinical trials."

Receptionist: "Certainly. You'll get paid fifty dollars. Now, are you here for the leprosy exposure tests or the spray-on condom tests?"

Person: "Condoms."

Receptionist: "Okay, here are the forms. Be sure to mark whether you'd prefer a brunette, blonde, or redhead."

How it would really go: "We already have all of the 'deliverers' so we'll just need you to bend over and..."

You think any woman would participate in a study like this? LOL :-)

Rain Man
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
How it would really go: "We already have all of the 'deliverers' so we'll just need you to bend over and..."

You think any woman would participate in a study like this? LOL :-)

Instead of the fifty bucks, they'd be paid dinner and a movie. Maybe a corsage, too. I think you could make it work.

Goldmember
02-09-2010, 02:28 PM
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1832445,00.html

Spray-On Condoms: Still a Hard Sell

.............. "As a teenager, Krause, now 30, had trouble finding the right size condom, which set him on a quest to aid other similarly befuddled young men." ..............

==========================

That's the title of the article, pun intended? Definetly not a soft sell ...........

hmmmm

not a bad idea but your boss is still covered in latex. At some point they will make a spray that will prevent any type of disease and give you the pleasure of not using anything. Just not there yet. I'm sure the condom companies will be the first to snatch it up.

EyePod
02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I think I'll pass. Aside from the lung-blocking and pore-clogging possibilities, IMO we're "antibacterializing" ourselves into extinction. Embrace the bacteria. Wriggle in the dirt. For crissakes, our parents and grandparents didn't have this shit, and they lived to be 90. im sure the average age of death has gone up since your grandparents. i also hate antibacterial stuff but you cant deny its positive (not as in good, increasing) effect of increasing our lifespans
Posted via Mobile Device

EyePod
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
The human immune system is meant to encounter harmful viruses and bacteria. There is a reason that autoimmune diseases are on the rise in the developed world. yeah, its cause the population is increasing while the distance between everyone is decreasing. way back when a tribe could get a disease and die out without infecting every other human on earth. not the case anymore....
Posted via Mobile Device

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
not a bad idea but your boss is still covered in latex. At some point they will make a spray that will prevent any type of disease and give you the pleasure of not using anything. Just not there yet. I'm sure the condom companies will be the first to snatch it up.

ROFL

JD10367
02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
im sure the average age of death has gone up since your grandparents. i also hate antibacterial stuff but you cant deny its positive (not as in good, increasing) effect of increasing our lifespans
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay, you just made a Grand Canyon sized leap between "rising age of death" and "antibacterial stuff". There are many reasons for the increased longevity. We can now cut out tumors and cancers that they couldn't. We don't lead as menial lives as they do, so we don't suffer as many injuries. We can transplant organs. We eat better. Sterilization is definitely helpful. But there's a difference between sterilization (i.e. keeping bad things out of our food, and making sure surgical instruments are clean) and antibacterial stuff (which IMO is lowering our resistance while INCREASING the resistance of the "enemy"). We use that hand-sanitizing crap, and we kill both good and bad bacteria, and the ones that live get even stronger. We dose ourselves with drugs whenever we get the sniffles, and we create hardier drug-resistant viruses.

We're gonna end up like the f**king Martians in "War Of The Worlds". High technology, and some little microbe is gonna kill us 'cause we've sterilized our species too much.

38yrsfan
02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Okay, you just made a Grand Canyon sized leap between "rising age of death" and "antibacterial stuff". There are many reasons for the increased longevity. We can now cut out tumors and cancers that they couldn't. We don't lead as menial lives as they do, so we don't suffer as many injuries. We can transplant organs. We eat better. Sterilization is definitely helpful. But there's a difference between sterilization (i.e. keeping bad things out of our food, and making sure surgical instruments are clean) and antibacterial stuff (which IMO is lowering our resistance while INCREASING the resistance of the "enemy"). We use that hand-sanitizing crap, and we kill both good and bad bacteria, and the ones that live get even stronger. We dose ourselves with drugs whenever we get the sniffles, and we create hardier drug-resistant viruses.

We're gonna end up like the f**king Martians in "War Of The Worlds". High technology, and some little microbe is gonna kill us 'cause we've sterilized our species too much.

I know ... the last time I had a Martian cold it almost killed me ... I did turn a bit green though.

Fish
02-09-2010, 03:16 PM

Just as effective.... in a convenient phallic shaped dipping can....

http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/blog/uploaded_images/plastidip300-786251.jpg

Dante84
02-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Okay, so the stuff it coats will be protected from bacteria and such.... but then what about the outside of the coating? Will bacteria and dirt just rest on it instead?

MagicHef
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
yeah, its cause the population is increasing while the distance between everyone is decreasing. way back when a tribe could get a disease and die out without infecting every other human on earth. not the case anymore....
Posted via Mobile Device

Autoimmune diseases are not caused by infections.

mikey23545
02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Okay, so the stuff it coats will be protected from bacteria and such.... but then what about the outside of the coating? Will bacteria and dirt just rest on it instead?

The idea, for those obviously too lazy to read the article, is that because of the coating of this glass-like substance any object could just be washed with plain water and the surface will be perfectly sterile...No more antibiotics in the soap. As far as the "breathability" problem, the "pores" in the coating would be large enough to allow gas molecules to pass through, but too small for bacteria and such...

Since the stuff is made up of silicon dioxide (also known as sand), it is completely non-toxic...

Dante84
02-09-2010, 05:16 PM
The idea, for those obviously too lazy to read the article, is that because of the coating of this glass-like substance any object could just be washed with plain water and the surface will be perfectly sterile...No more antibiotics in the soap. As far as the "breathability" problem, the "pores" in the coating would be large enough to allow gas molecules to pass through, but too small for bacteria and such...

Since the stuff is made up of silicon dioxide (also known as sand), it is completely non-toxic...

Thatsameee-ah!

EyePod
02-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Notice how I didn't say that "antibacterial stuff" is the only reason, but yeah, thanks for filling in the details. I'm not really a fluff kind of guy.

EyePod
02-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Autoimmune diseases are not caused by infections.

Yeah, my bad. Either way, increased lifespans lead to increased offspring which lead to more accounts of any type of disorder. I guess I shouldn't have strayed and just stated that raw number increases aren't relevant when the entire population is also on the rise.

MagicHef
02-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah, my bad. Either way, increased lifespans lead to increased offspring which lead to more accounts of any type of disorder. I guess I shouldn't have strayed and just stated that raw number increases aren't relevant when the entire population is also on the rise.

Yeah, the raw number increases aren't relevant, but the fact that the rate of occurrence of these diseases is increasing is troubling.

http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0016/ea0016s3.1.htm