PDA

View Full Version : Money Need fund raising ideas ....

ROYC75
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Our AAU boys & girls teams are needing funds, times are hard and we have done sent out 460 fliers to local merchants in this small community. We are putting on 2 basketball tournaments to raise funds, entry fees & gate & concession sales. We have a large 20 family yard sale planned and 2 car washes with the women folk doing a bake sale at the local Walmart.

Anybody else know of a good way to fund raise some cash for these kids ? The trip to Coco Beach,Fl is going to be expensive for the National Tournament.

I have my hands full with helping the 5th grade boys were my grandson is 5"8" now, they have an awesome team, but he is the only big guy we have.

I'm taking the HC position on the girls team, my grand daughter is 6"1" and in the 8th grade, it's just our 1st year with them so I haven't a clue how we will do.

So help me out here guys and gals, I need some ideas.:thumb:

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Polar Bear Plunge

Only the parents could do it. It would drop the kids temperatures too fast.

Ebolapox
02-09-2010, 08:01 PM
sell blood and semen?

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/dodgeball-vaughn1_1087491167.jpg

Ebolapox
02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
on a serious note, bake sale?

nevermind. it's all been done. just go with blood and semen.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
on a serious note, bake sale?

I was serious. Even five people doing a polar plunge can raise a few hundred bucks. You'd be surprised how much people are willing to pay to see someone freeze their butt off.

Plus, its kind of fun in a masochistic sort of way.

MIAdragon
02-09-2010, 08:08 PM
A raffle is always a good idea IMO

JD10367
02-09-2010, 08:09 PM
In my neighborhood, they always set up like little panhandlers at the entrance to the supermarket. A couple of kids in their uniforms, with coin cans and big puppy d-og eyes, with a mother-monitor sitting matronly at a folding table with a big giant sign.

It's pretty easy to ignore a smelly homeless guy; it's a lot harder to ignore the little kids with the puppy-d-og eyes. (Make sure you put the cute kids on the door. Not the scary teens. LOL)

EDIT: to whoever's been changing the words tonight... AIDS tree, fire, antifreeze. Seriously. It's not funny. It wasn't funny the first time. It's not funny the fifth time. It's just f**king annoyiing.

Ebolapox
02-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I was serious. Even five people doing a polar plunge can raise a few hundred bucks. You'd be surprised how much people are willing to pay to see someone freeze their butt off.

Plus, its kind of fun in a masochistic sort of way.

:spock:

I wasn't insulting your idea. I made a joke (blood and semen) and then offered a serious idea, bake sale.

Mastashake
02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
:spock:

I wasn't insulting your idea. I made a joke (blood and semen) and then offered a serious idea, bake sale.

Oh... Okay.

Its not for the faint of heart, though. But deprecation of someone else always intrigues people. Like a dunk tank, pie toss, or something. It it makes someone suffer in a comical way, people like it (especially if its a person of authority, like a boss or someone).

ROYC75
02-09-2010, 08:27 PM
A raffle is always a good idea IMO

I though of that one as we do the BB tourneys' it's tough to get the merchants to donate money and merchandise. Some will give $$, some will donate items to raffle.

whatsmynameagain
02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
have a 30 dollar buy in poker tournament where 2/3 of the money goes to the kids and the rest to the tourney winners. did this for my cousins baseball team and raised about 500.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
02-09-2010, 10:29 PM
When I was in High School, we did MAYB in the summer. We raised money by getting sponsors. They would get "free advertising" by us putting their names on the back of our shirts we wore everywhere, not our jerseys, but our warm up shirts.

Essentially it is a donation, but we raised quite a bit of cash, the business got a write off and (a very little bit) of good pub.

Buehler445
02-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Another idea is doing a labor auction. I've been a part of those before. The biggest problem is effective advertising on a budget.

BigRedChief
02-09-2010, 10:45 PM
A lot of teams have garage sales.

ROYC75
02-09-2010, 11:00 PM
A lot of teams have garage sales.

The 2 teams are pulling together with 20 families, that should pool something.

JOhn
02-09-2010, 11:15 PM
uh, nothing for this time of year...unless you're really brave: Car wash :thumb:

BigRedChief
02-10-2010, 06:14 AM
The 2 teams are pulling together with 20 families, that should pool something.I know of about 4 teams that raise about $3-4K yearly this way.

Chief Chief
02-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Since Coco Beach FL is your destination, use that as the backdrop to the following Spring Break-themed activities which are sure to bring in the $$$:

Wet T-Shirt Contest

Beer Chug-a-lug Contest

Flash-for-Cash

Jello Shot Sales

Strippers for Hire (each family required to provide a performer)

Girls Gone Wild DVD Sales

Nzoner
02-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Guaranteed BIG money maker

Savings Card(looks like a credit card with 12 local merchants on it)

Have someone good with people go to local merchants(restaurants are always a good target) and explain the fundraiser.For no cost to the merchant you will print a buy 1 get 1 offer for them on the card good for 1 year and no more than 2000 will be sold within the community.

I've done these for youth groups and generally your printing etc. should cost you around $1500 but if the offers are really good(make sure they are and don't be afraid to tell merchant offer needs to be a bit stronger or go to the next one) the kids can easily sell them for $5 per card and make some good quick cash plus the merchant gets to feel like they've helped plus the added bonus of traffic in their business and add-on sales to their offers.

ROYC75
02-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Guaranteed BIG money maker

Savings Card(looks like a credit card with 12 local merchants on it)

Have someone good with people go to local merchants(restaurants are always a good target) and explain the fundraiser.For no cost to the merchant you will print a buy 1 get 1 offer for them on the card good for 1 year and no more than 2000 will be sold within the community.

I've done these for youth groups and generally your printing etc. should cost you around $1500 but if the offers are really good(make sure they are and don't be afraid to tell merchant offer needs to be a bit stronger or go to the next one) the kids can easily sell them for $5 per card and make some good quick cash plus the merchant gets to feel like they've helped plus the added bonus of traffic in their business and add-on sales to their offers.

Joe, do you just limit the card use to one time or is it good for multiple times all year ? An all year card could kill a merchant.

Nzoner
02-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Joe, do you just limit the card use to one time or is it good for multiple times all year ? An all year card could kill a merchant.

We've done different ways usually leaving it up to the merchant as you can print an expiration date under each offer.As for killing the merchant,every restaurant I know of can easily do a buy 1 get 1 free and still make money,what the goal is by doing so is that the customer buys add-ons like fries a drink etc.

Nzoner
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Also,keep in mind that a lot of these cards get sold,go in the customer's wallet or purse and are forgotten about.

Cannibal
02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Host a Tea Party dinner with you as the keynote speaker and charge $550.00 per plate.

ROYC75
02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Host a Tea Party dinner with you as the keynote speaker and charge $550.00 per plate.

ROFL Not bad, is creative. I just don't think I can pull that one off .;)

ROYC75
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
We've done different ways usually leaving it up to the merchant as you can print an expiration date under each offer.As for killing the merchant,every restaurant I know of can easily do a buy 1 get 1 free and still make money,what the goal is by doing so is that the customer buys add-ons like fries a drink etc.

I like it, think I'll use this one as plus we can take a team picture, sell advertising spots all around it and give them away to people at our games and put some at each merchant that donated.

sodcat
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
We have, in the past bought these Little Caesars pizza kits from a local school who sold them for fundraising:
http://www.pizzakit.com/
Might be worth looking into.

Iowanian
02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Some of my female relatives do a cancer walk where they raise quite a bit of money.

One of the things they've done the last 3 years is a "Trivia Night". They'll buy or collect prizes, use a facility like the country club(drinks). Teams of 6 people compete in a trivia contest.....the use one of the trivial pursuit questions/answer lists, because you'd be surprised that some people forget its a charity event and want to argue obscure potential answers.....team writes answers down on paper, each answer worth a point....

Its more fun than it sounds, and we gladly pay our $100/team to do it.

ROYC75
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Come on guys, need more.:D

Trip to Florida with 10 kids and some family members is expensive. Not to mention the # of tourneys we have to travel to get better. I need to come up with about $20 k for the year.

Lono
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Buy this http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/bmw/on-off-road/2009/g/650-gs.html.

Sell 200 tickets for it at $100 a piece. Raffle it off.

Bike cost $7,670

Tickets sold $20,000

Total Net Made: $12,330

You could sell 250 or 300 tickets to make more.

ROYC75
02-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Buy this http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/bmw/on-off-road/2009/g/650-gs.html.

Sell 200 tickets for it at $100 a piece. Raffle it off.

Bike cost $7,670

Tickets sold $20,000

Total Net Made: $12,330

You could sell 250 or 300 tickets to make more.

:eek: We can't buy the bike to start with. If we did , our luck we wouldn't sell enough tickets to cover the cost of the bike.

Buehler445
02-11-2010, 12:23 PM
I've seen a similar raffle done for a Traegger grill.

Lono
02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
:eek: We can't buy the bike to start with. If we did , our luck we wouldn't sell enough tickets to cover the cost of the bike.

That's Np Roy. You make it known that once you have sold at least 100 tickets, the bike will be bought. Just make sure and keep track of those who have botten so that if something happens you dont get enough to buy the bike, money can be returned. That guarantees you won't get stuck with the bike. Once the bike is bought find a business that will help you out. Sit the bike there for advertising. At 100 tickets you still have made a couple grand. Hopefully after that you can sell the next 100 for pure profit.

I can't take credit for this idea, I heard it at a coaching clinic. A football team did this, the guy said it was easy money.

ROYC75
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
That's Np Roy. You make it known that once you have sold at least 100 tickets, the bike will be bought. Just make sure and keep track of those who have botten so that if something happens you dont get enough to buy the bike, money can be returned. That guarantees you won't get stuck with the bike. Once the bike is bought find a business that will help you out. Sit the bike there for advertising. At 100 tickets you still have made a couple grand. Hopefully after that you can sell the next 100 for pure profit.

I can't take credit for this idea, I heard it at a coaching clinic. A football team did this, the guy said it was easy money.

Might be worth looking into. On a side note, we have a few ATV dealers and cycle shops around that might get us something like this for cost price or reduced as tax write off.

Dave Lane
02-11-2010, 01:15 PM
The parents should pay for their own children. This is whats wrong with todays welfare state mentality of people thinking they are entitled to other peoples money like Roy does. Get a job! The kids can work too they are already in the 8th grade.

/conservative movement in America

Lono
02-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Exactly man, the motorcyle was just an idea. An Atv around where I live would go over even better. If you could get someone to donate it for a tax write off or advertsing, it would be even better. Get them to do it, and come up with $200 and get warmups in their name. Crap even name your team after them for $20,000.

ROYC75
02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
The parents should pay for their own children. This is whats wrong with todays welfare state mentality of people thinking they are entitled to other peoples money like Roy does. Get a job! The kids can work too they are already in the 8th grade.

/conservative movement in America

Uh, 5th graders too. Parents are strapped for cash, especially if that kid travels 2 to 3 weekends out of the month and it takes you 300 - 500.00 per weekend to travel, stay eat & play .

The county wants a championship caliber team in school, this is our way of running a program to help the HS out.