PDA

View Full Version : Poop Guess how much

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Went to my lake house to check on it last Friday. Found this in my kitchen. Had not been down in a month. Got my meter checked today. Rep to the best guess on Gallons used since Jan 5th... last time it was checked. And yes every roon in the place was wet.

loochy
02-10-2010, 09:07 AM
one hundred billion gallons

ok, I admit there's no way you could use that much water

one million gallons

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKKHSAE1gIs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKKHSAE1gIs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 09:08 AM
A little lower

mikeyis4dcats.
02-10-2010, 09:13 AM

DaFace
02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
No clue, but that's gotta suck.

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Higher, Sucks bad. IF anyone has a place they are going to be gone from for any lenght of time. Shut the watter off at the main. Plummer said it probably just failed instead of froze. I kept it at 50 degrees and the cabinets were open under the sink. It was still 50 when I walked in. Just wet. My need a bulldozer.INS guy should make it today.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Higher, Sucks bad. IF anyone has a place they are going to be gone from for any lenght of time. Shut the watter off at the main. Plummer said it probably just failed instead of froze. I kept it at 50 degrees and the cabinets were open under the sink. It was still 50 when I walked in. Just wet. My need a bulldozer.INS guy should make it today.

damn, I was guessing (hoping for your sake) that it had sprung a leak halfway through.

I'll say 75600 then, thats one and a half gallon per minute for 35 days.

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 09:22 AM
damn, I was guessing (hoping for your sake) that it had sprung a leak halfway through.

I'll say 75600 then, thats one and a half gallon per minute for 35 days.

Higher

mikeyis4dcats.
02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Higher

ouch. A garden hose will give you about 10gpm.

so 504000 would be the equivalent of leaving a hose running. Which looking at your picture might be a little much.

What's the water company gonna do, will they cut you a break?

btlook1
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Went to my lake house to check on it last Friday. Found this in my kitchen. Had not been down in a month. Got my meter checked today. Rep to the best guess on Gallons used since Jan 5th... last time it was checked. And yes every roon in the place was wet.

Sucks dude....Hope your insuarance pays up.

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Not their problem . Fortunately water is cheap . Drum roll please the total use since Jan 5th which I must admit does include my ice maker...151,200 gallons

Bill is like $375 which isn't bad.

This is the back room the ceiling fell in not from a roof leak but from the humidity. It is worse now.
Really sucks but ya just gotta put things in perspective. It could have been the house I have to live in or one of my kids could be sick. It is some of my favorite stuff but in the end it is just stuff.

loochy
02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Ugh good thing it's not summer. That house would be one stinky mofo.

DMAC
02-10-2010, 09:37 AM
damn...the vizio get screwed up?

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 09:43 AM
damn...the vizio get screwed up?

Man you have good eyes. It think it is ok I moved it down the street to a friends place wanted to make sure it was dry before I plugged it in. Sofa is shot I think

tooge
02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
reasons I dont have a lake house for $1000 Alex

DMAC
02-10-2010, 09:59 AM
reasons I dont have a lake house for $1000 AlexWhat is I dont have money or a boat.

wutamess
02-10-2010, 10:09 AM
What is I dont have money or a boat.

ROFL

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 10:13 AM
LOL I think I'm gonna put the boat in the house

tooge
02-10-2010, 10:14 AM
What is I dont have money or a boat.

I have both of those, but I prefer to use my friends lake houses. All it usually costs is a few cases of beer and some nice steaks.

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 10:32 AM
I have both of those, but I prefer to use my friends lake houses. All it usually costs is a few cases of beer and some nice steaks.

Still have my Beer fridge and dartboard in the garage. Nothing like a good piece of Cow on the grill. Come on down. Actually I'm really lucky. Talked a good friend of mine into buying the place right behind me and put him up in our place while he gutted and fixed it up last year. Looks like he will be returning the favor. The guy who ended up doing the work for him ended up being a pretty good friend so he is meeting the INS guy today for me. Just waiting to see if we bulldoze or tear apart. Got some before and after pics below. He does nice work.

Sofa King
02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
damnit... i send out water bills every month... was gonna guess 120k to 150k...

DrRyan
02-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Not their problem . Fortunately water is cheap . Drum roll please the total use since Jan 5th which I must admit does include my ice maker...151,200 gallons

Bill is like $375 which isn't bad.

This is the back room the ceiling fell in not from a roof leak but from the humidity. It is worse now.
Really sucks but ya just gotta put things in perspective. It could have been the house I have to live in or one of my kids could be sick. It is some of my favorite stuff but in the end it is just stuff.

That is lucky. Two years ago over Xmas I was back in KC just under two weeks. Before we left from Phoenix we were getting a ton of rain and drainage sucks here because there is no reason to have great drainage when it rains so infrequently. Anyhow, the line coming from the main outside to the sprinkler system in the backyard broke. When I left there was an inch or two of standing water in the back yard, when I got home there was at least 5+ inches of standing water throughout the whole back yard. Shut the main off, got a pump to get all the water out and yard cleaned up.

A couple weeks later the water bill came and it was between $1100-1200! I can't remember exactly how many gallons of water were used/wasted but it was over 200,000. I want to say around 240,000 gallons. Water is obviously more expensive in the desert.

Edit: I guess I should not say lucky, you lost a lot of stuff so it is not lucky in the slightest. Not trying to make light of that at all. Lucky in the sense of the water bill.

tooge
02-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Still have my Beer fridge and dartboard in the garage. Nothing like a good piece of Cow on the grill. Come on down. Actually I'm really lucky. Talked a good friend of mine into buying the place right behind me and put him up in our place while he gutted and fixed it up last year. Looks like he will be returning the favor. The guy who ended up doing the work for him ended up being a pretty good friend so he is meeting the INS guy today for me. Just waiting to see if we bulldoze or tear apart. Got some before and after pics below. He does nice work.

Looks nice man. How would you like your steak again?

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Looks nice man. How would you like your steak again?

Medium rare please

RockChalk
02-10-2010, 01:51 PM
My parents lake place was broken into a few weeks ago. They hadn't been down in over a month, and when my dad stopped by to check it out, someone had kicked in the doors. All they got out of it was a TV and some spare cash that was around the house. They also didn't go around destroying it, so that was at least nice of them.

Come wintertime, areas like the Ozarks have to be easy marks for home burglaries. At least, I would think so.

Iowanian
02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I'll start my guess at 125k gallons.

You can file for an adjustment in most communities, I'd guess they'll charge you the cost of production for water and remove the sewer fees, if they're civilized.

Cannibal
02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Depends on the size of the hole and the water pressure.

I was going to guess a roughly 1/8" opening and the water flowing at 40-50 psi at roughly 4 gpm x 1,440 minutes per day x 35 days for roughly 200,000 gallons.

Rooster
02-10-2010, 02:48 PM

That looks like polybutylene tubing? Was it a ductal failure on the tubing or was it a fittings failure.

FishingRod
02-10-2010, 03:08 PM
That looks like polybutylene tubing? Was it a ductal failure on the tubing or was it a fittings failure.

Failure on the tubing. Insurance guy and my contactor friend have been looking at the place for hours. I am just waiting for the $$$$ word. Probably out in the garage drinking my beer and playing darts.

stlchiefs
02-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Wow that sucks. It was/is a nice looking place though.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-10-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm surprised you would leave the water on over the winter if no one is around. I had a slightly less severe incident when I was on vacation a few years ago, and ever since then I shut off my water even if I'm only leaving the house for one night. Water can do a lot of damage real fast.

Rooster
02-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Failure on the tubing. Insurance guy and my contactor friend have been looking at the place for hours. I am just waiting for the $$$$ word. Probably out in the garage drinking my beer and playing darts.

LOL.. Well the reason I ask is that there was a class action law suit against polybutylene systems. I thought you might be able to recoup some of the damage. I did a quick google search and it looks like the suit has expired.

Iowanian
02-10-2010, 04:37 PM
We turn the water off at the meter every time we leave my folks' cabin for events just like these.