PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Starting Tomato and Pepper Plants

Dinny Blues
02-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Setting up lights on a timer this year in hopes of having fun fooling around with growing stuff.

We had a half dozen varieties of heirloom tomatoes last year. We didn't sort them before we canned them. I have made some great chili and Italian red sauces with them. There is no comparison to store-bought canned tomatoes.

We have dropped some varieties from our rotation and are trying some new ones this year.

Heirloom Tomatoes:
Missouri Pink Love Apple
Watermelon Beefsteak
Oxheart (Fred's)
Mortgage Lifter
Amish Paste
Pink Brandywine
Black Brandywine

Haven't messed with peppers much, but trying a couple this year:
Fat 'n Sassy Hybrid
Tequila Hybrid

The Japanese Beetles tear up our orchard trees and blackberries, but I'm lucky they leave alone my tomatoes. Stinkin' monsters. I have heard they don't like garlic, so I planted a few pounds around the place. Hope it works. I am NOT putting out traps this year.

Dinny

tooge
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I was told my a guy at the Mo dept of conservation that those beetles are biannual or something like that. In other words they are only bad every two years. Not sure though. I do know they were bad last summer. They at our blackberry plants as well, but really tore up the grapes. I dont have grow lights. Good luck. Keep us posted. I started the maters inside for the last couple of years and they have done fairly well. I wonder if those Japanese beetles eat northern callifornia sensamilia;)

JASONSAUTO
02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Setting up lights on a timer this year in hopes of having fun fooling around with growing stuff.

We had a half dozen varieties of heirloom tomatoes last year. We didn't sort them before we canned them. I have made some great chili and Italian red sauces with them. There is no comparison to store-bought canned tomatoes.

We have dropped some varieties from our rotation and are trying some new ones this year.

Heirloom Tomatoes:
Missouri Pink Love Apple
Watermelon Beefsteak
Oxheart (Fred's)
Mortgage Lifter
Amish Paste
Pink Brandywine
Black Brandywine

Haven't messed with peppers much, but trying a couple this year:
Fat 'n Sassy Hybrid
Tequila Hybrid

The Japanese Beetles tear up our orchard trees and blackberries, but I'm lucky they leave alone my tomatoes. Stinkin' monsters. I have heard they don't like garlic, so I planted a few pounds around the place. Hope it works. I am NOT putting out traps this year.

Dinny

lights, timers, plants.....

you sure we are talking about tomatos here?

Alton deFlat
02-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Have fun growing those 'maters. Of those listed on your list, I've grown Watermelon Beefsteak and Mortgage Lifter. ML is one of my all time favorites.

BTW, leave those lights on at least 12 hours per day. 16 hours would be better, and keep the bulbs just a few inches above the seedlings.

Rooster
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
lights, timers, plants.....

you sure we are talking about tomatos here?

LMAOLMAO Sounds kinda fishy doesn't it.

seclark
02-10-2010, 02:23 PM
LMAOLMAO Sounds kinda fishy doesn't it.

smells kinda skunky.
sec

Dinny Blues
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
smells kinda skunky.
sec

Crossin' the highway late lastnight
I shoulda looked left and I shoulda looked right....

Dinny

seclark
02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Crossin' the highway late lastnight
I shoulda looked left and I shoulda looked right....

Dinny

dead skunk rep!
sec

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 02:54 PM
if you are havin problems with bugs you arent spraying enough. add some liquid dishwashin soap(lemon) and make sure to spay the underside good.

googlegoogle
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Growing tomatoes indoors intrigues me.

I don't like Grocery tomatoes. They're not ripe or flavorful. Just red on the outside.

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Growing tomatoes indoors intrigues me.

I don't like Grocery tomatoes. They're not ripe or flavorful. Just red on the outside.

starter disks,seeds, & grow lights.

i love ripe maters off the vine but my god we grew a shitload of em.......:deevee:

seclark
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
had pretty good luck last year w/those upside down thingies, but when we took them down to put up for the year, 3 of them got ripped up pretty bad. going to buy a few more this year, but if you only get to use them one or two years...that's pretty damned pricey.
sec

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 03:33 PM
had pretty good luck last year w/those upside down thingies, but when we took them down to put up for the year, 3 of them got ripped up pretty bad. going to buy a few more this year, but if you only get to use them one or two years...that's pretty damned pricey.
sec

before the growin season starts remind me and ill take some pics of the ones my dads BFF made and float em your way.
Easy and awesome.

seclark
02-10-2010, 03:35 PM
before the growin season starts remind me and ill take some pics of the ones my dads BFF made and float em your way.
Easy and awesome.

i will do that. don't get in to eating them too much myself, but they're fun to grow, and ernie loves his maters and banana peppers.
sec

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 03:43 PM
i will do that. don't get in to eating them too much myself, but they're fun to grow, and ernie loves his maters and banana peppers.
sec

hope to get my tractor running before to long, if so ima gonna put in a By God of a garden. If not im still gonna put in a decent garden.
30 years of workin next to grandpa i learned some things.;)

edit- hows Ernie doin this winter?

NewChief
02-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I was told my a guy at the Mo dept of conservation that those beetles are biannual or something like that. In other words they are only bad every two years. Not sure though. I do know they were bad last summer. They at our blackberry plants as well, but really tore up the grapes. I dont have grow lights. Good luck. Keep us posted. I started the maters inside for the last couple of years and they have done fairly well. I wonder if those Japanese beetles eat northern callifornia sensamilia;)

Down here they come back every year.

seclark
02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
hope to get my tractor running before to long, if so ima gonna put in a By God of a garden. If not im still gonna put in a decent garden.
30 years of workin next to grandpa i learned some things.;)

edit- hows Ernie doin this winter?

he's driving me nuts, bitching about the weather. got his piss-bag taken off a few weeks back, so now he wants to do everything.

doc's got him drinking that ensure stuff to put some meat on his bones(128lbs). he loves it...says it tastes like goats milk.
sec

seclark
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Down here they come back every year.

we get them bad every year here too.
sec

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 04:03 PM
he's driving me nuts, bitching about the weather. got his piss-bag taken off a few weeks back, so now he wants to do everything.

doc's got him drinking that ensure stuff to put some meat on his bones(128lbs). he loves it...says it tastes like goats milk.
sec

cool, i love them old farts with motors. They drive you nuts buts its worth it.

Simply Red
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
hey dinny, do you grow any herbs? herb-gardens are fun.

Stewie
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
I have the garden, but my gf starts tomatoes and peppers indoors at her house. I'm not sure what variety she's planning on this year. All I know is I'm tripling my potato patch. Damn good homegrown taters.

tooge
02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
sec

One or five gallon buckets work very well I have heard. Haven't tried em though. You hang em from the handle and cut a little hole in the bottom lined with some plastic for the mater to grow through.

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 04:25 PM
One or five gallon buckets work very well I have heard. Haven't tried em though. You hang em from the handle and cut a little hole in the bottom lined with some plastic for the mater to grow through.

thats like the ones ive seen, attach a hangin plant basket to the inside goin out, add some gravel,peat,& top soil and youre in business.

bone meal is important when you get em started along with a table spoon of triple 13(for foot tall starters)

seclark
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
thats like the ones ive seen, attach a hangin plant basket to the inside goin out, add some gravel,peat,& top soil and youre in business.

bone meal is important when you get em started along with a table spoon of triple 13(for foot tall starters)

i'm having trouble picturing this in my mind. maybe after work and a couple beers.
sec

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.phillygrows.com/gardening/hanging-tomatoes/

like these except it has a chickenwire type basket to keep em bottled up when they start.

stlchiefs
02-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I was thinking about trying to start some plants in doors this year, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm wondering if it's just a waste of time if I don't go all out with a grow light etc.

Dinny Blues
02-10-2010, 04:45 PM
hey dinny, do you grow any herbs? herb-gardens are fun.

I'll plant a bunch of them directly outside after the last frost.

Fresh herbs are my favorite for most things.

Dinny

MOhillbilly
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I'll plant a bunch of them directly outside after the last frost.

Fresh herbs are my favorite for most things.

Dinny

no cold frame?

Dinny Blues
02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Just figured out I need to start my early batch of Brussel's Sprouts as well. Never grown them before, but I like eating them. Long Island Improved and Bubbles.

Dinny

Dinny Blues
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
no cold frame?

Well, I thought about starting them inside, but I don't want to have to mess with separating the pots and transplanting clumps. I figure they are basically just weeds so hopefully they will take off and grow. Shrug?

Besides that, I'm lazy.

Dinny

Chocolate Hog
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
My peppers & Tomatoes didn't grow til August.

Dinny Blues
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
My peppers & Tomatoes didn't grow til August.

Did you use a breath deodorant?

Dinny

Buzzsaw
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Pink Brandywine

Best tasting tomato, period. Wife told me not to grow anything else this year. Doing some hot peppers too, habs, cayenne, serrano and japapenos. Can't wait for Spring.

Chocolate Hog
02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Did you use a breath deodorant?

Dinny

Sorry that went over my head.

Dinny Blues
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Sorry that went over my head.

It was an attempt at being humorous. If you didn't get it, I will have to do better next time.

A thousand pardons, do not wish to offend.

Dinny

Dinny Blues
04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Peppers didn't start well, but tomato starts are going nuts.

Will have extras of some very tasty tomatoes.

I will know how many in the next couple of days. Free to all CPers. (U pick up)

My good friend MOHillbilly gets first cut.

Dinny

Edit: Bring beer.

Saccopoo
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I probably started mine a couple of weeks too late, but they are in the seedling hot house now. Since I had some seeds from last year left, I did the same in tomatoes:

White Wonders
Black Krim
Big Rainbow
Green Zebra
Rose Quartz Cherries

Since it's too late to start seedlings, I'll pick up a couple more varieties from the nursery when it's about time to get them into the ground. I usually get Brandywine (Black variety, but I think I'll pick up a Pink based on the recommendations proffered in this thread), Old German, Mr. Stripey and the like. I'll also usually get a couple of six packs of the early ripening hybrids such as Early Girl, Better Boy, Roma, etc.

I've had to cut down the number of White Wonders and Brandywines I plant due to their insanely prolific nature and the size of the fruit. I don't know if it's just this particular seed strain that I've got, but the White Wonders end up the size of cantaloupes. I can't cage them because the vines get torn off, so they just end up as a traditional bush-type.

The one thing that I've really struggled with in terms of production numbers has been the big, sweet peppers like bells. I'll get some gorgeous plants but only two peppers per and I've tried everything. Any suggestions as we head into the growing season?

Groves
04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Hey Dinny,

I've never grown tomatoes, but it sounds like fun. I'll take some starts if you have some to sell. How about trading for some maple syrup the kids and I made this year? We're not making beer (yet).

seclark
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
got 8 tomato plants started saturday in the hangers. so far so good.

cant find any banana peppers yet.
sec

stlchiefs
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
got 8 tomato plants started saturday in the hangers. so far so good.

cant find any banana peppers yet.
sec

You talking about the hanging pots? Do you buy them or make your own?

mlyonsd
04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
I use an Aerogrow hydroponic garden for the first few weeks then transplant them to cups and put them under a grow light before they are moved to the garden.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2010, 10:23 AM
SOMO had some decent pepper plants. I wanna say they were 1.59-1.99 maybe 4in tall.
Next year im just gonna go to greenseed to get my seeds...

Saccopoo
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Seriously - does anyone have any ideas on increasing the yields for their sweet pepper plants? All get tons of habaneros, jalapenos, thais, cayenne, etc., but for the past 15 years I get, at maximum, two bells per plant. That can't be right, and I can't figure out how to increase the production no matter what. I've tried about everything.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Seriously - does anyone have any ideas on increasing the yields for their sweet pepper plants? All get tons of habaneros, jalapenos, thais, cayenne, etc., but for the past 15 years I get, at maximum, two bells per plant. That can't be right, and I can't figure out how to increase the production no matter what. I've tried about everything.

Vigor of the plant? How many do you put out?
Might try some bone meal in the hole and a very small handfull of 3-13.

seclark
04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
You talking about the hanging pots? Do you buy them or make your own?

yes, and i bought them. home made might be the way to go though. the ones i bought last year are pretty fragile(bag part) and tear easily if you're not careful. one ripped up after i tried to clean it out last fall. saved the other 3 and bought one new one.
sec

Dinny Blues
04-14-2010, 10:54 AM

I use MaxiCrop liquid seaweed and liquid fish emulsion concentrates.

I haven't used them on peppers, but they are organic and seem to work very well on anything for me.

Dinny

MOhillbilly
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM

I haven't used them on peppers, but they are organic and seem to work very well on anything for me.

Dinny

mix it in w/ the starter soil or do you put this stuff in the hole before you plant?

Dinny Blues
04-14-2010, 12:33 PM
mix it in w/ the starter soil or do you put this stuff in the hole before you plant?

I give it to them after they snap out of "transplant shock" from final planting.

I don't give them anything until then.

Dinny

Saccopoo
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Dinny

Yeah, I've gone the whole organic liquid foilar feed recommended by most hydro dope growers (you get some really great advice on plant grow, fertilization, etc. from that crowd versus your vegetable garden sites - it's amazing to see how much love and care someone puts into a plant when they really, really love and care about that plant). Superthrive, MaxiCrop, Liquid Earth Catalyst/MicroBlast, Set Spray, fish/bone/blood meal, worm casings, etc. The works. The plants themselves always look fantastic. I just never get more than two peppers per plant, and I know I should be getting more.

Dinny Blues
04-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I've gone the whole organic liquid foilar feed recommended by most hydro dope growers (you get some really great advice on plant grow, fertilization, etc. from that crowd versus your vegetable garden sites - it's amazing to see how much love and care someone puts into a plant when they really, really love and care about that plant). Superthrive, MaxiCrop, Liquid Earth Catalyst/MicroBlast, Set Spray, fish/bone/blood meal, worm casings, etc. The works. The plants themselves always look fantastic. I just never get more than two peppers per plant, and I know I should be getting more.

Well I'm not much help. I'm at the novice level. Think beginning golfer not yet ready to start keeping score.

Don't know what the heck I'm doing but I'm having fun screwin' around with this stuff. All four of my grandparents were incredible green thumbs and it seems I have some luck of the genes every once in awhile.

Dinny

Saccopoo
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Well I'm not much help. I'm at the novice level. Think beginning golfer not yet ready to start keeping score.

Don't know what the heck I'm doing but I'm having fun screwin' around with this stuff. All four of my grandparents were incredible green thumbs and it seems I have some luck of the genes every once in awhile.

Dinny

Keep it up Dinny. I love gardening. The first thing I did when I bought my first house back in '94 was to put in a huge garden.

Do remember to keep a log of what you use, on what plants you use it on and the results. It's a big help when the next season comes around. And having that generational experience helps as well.

I just wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong with the bells...*sigh*

Besides, it sounds like you are way beyond novice status.

Buzzsaw
04-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Try pinching off the flowers while the plant is small, that way it will concentrate it's energy on getting bigger rather than producing fruit. A small plant can only accommodate a few peppers. Let the plant get big, 3' or so, then let it set fruit. HTH