PDA

View Full Version : Electronics help with getting back onlline

go bowe
02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
i have a little problem with my lan and online connection.

we lost our connection to the net a few days ago and called comcast. after trying a number of things, they had us connect directly from the modem to my pc and my pc went back on the net, which suggests to me that the modem is probably ok.

but when i plug other pc's directly into the modem, none of them get online. just mine.

none of the pc's connect to the net when i put the router back in the equation, connecting all the pc's and the modem through the router.

what's up with this and how do i make it better?

phisherman
02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
probably need to replace your router

Fish
02-10-2010, 03:59 PM
If other computers won't work when connected directly to the modem, then something still isn't right.

You might take a look at this page on Comcast Internet Troubleshooting: http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQListViewer.aspx?topic=Internet&folder=5114dea5-e59b-48b5-842c-5d8036d50598

If you don't want to mess with that, or it doesn't help, then I'd hook up the modem to one of the machines that won't get internet when hooked directly to the modem, and call Comcast and tell them the internet won't work. Don't tell them it will work with one machine, because they'll try and wiggle out of having to come fix it if it works on something.

It should work the same with any computer plugged directly into the modem.

You didn't have a setup CD for the internet did you? Some ISPs require a name and password to establish an internet connection. It could be that you had ran the CD that configured that for you on the one working computer, but not on the others since they were connected to the router. That would explain why one works directly on the modem and the others don't. And if that's the case, you may have to reconfigure your router to use that name and password login in order to share your connection with the rest of the machines on the router.

Pestilence
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
You didn't have a setup CD for the internet did you? Some ISPs require a name and password to establish an internet connection. It could be that you had ran the CD that configured that for you on the one working computer, but not on the others since they were connected to the router. That would explain why one works directly on the modem and the others don't. And if that's the case, you may have to reconfigure your router to use that name and password login in order to share your connection with the rest of the machines on the router.

This.

tymania
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I would try resetting your Router to the factory defaults

go bowe
02-13-2010, 02:33 PM
update: i tried resetting the router to factory defaults, no help.

no password is required for the router to connect to the net.

when i plug my pc into the modem, it gets on the net. when i plug it into the router it doesn't. no change. still can't see other pc's when on the router, but i was able to see one other pc before i started messing with it, but not any more.

has anybody got a large caliber shotgun so i can put this thing out of my misery? a 10-guage might work.

Fish
02-13-2010, 04:47 PM
12lb. sledge would be more fun...

TrebMaxx
02-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Make sure you clone your mac address in the router settings.

go bowe
02-13-2010, 09:05 PM
ok, this is getting weird...

i checked the router config and it doesn't require any passwords to access the internet connection. i didn't change anything other than adding a wep for my wireless connections.

just for grins, i plugged my pc into the router and i was able to go online with it. but after i had restarted mine, i was no longer able to get online going through the router. i can still go online when i plug directly into the modem, but not through the router.

while i was on the router and able to go online, i could see a few network places on one other pc (the only one that was on). not since i rebooted have i been able to see any other pc on the network places list when i am plugged into the router.` i don't think its hardware, it seems more like i screwed up some software settings. i'm going to try resetting the router to the factory defaults again.

all suggestions are welcome.

go bowe
02-13-2010, 09:11 PM
12lb. sledge would be more fun...one of my favorite stories is about the time i threatened one of the old 486's with the 40mb hard drive and the works. i was holding a hammer and waving it around while telling the stupid pc that i would start breaking pieces off unless it started working right. '

and it did.

Fish
02-14-2010, 12:00 AM
Damn robots never do what you want... sometimes you gotta beat em..

Fish
02-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Your router may be failing intermittently.

And when you say you could see another computer on the network, did that computer have internet access through the router?

demonhero
02-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Meh, trying manually changing the SSID

It could be that somebody else has the same SSID, and the computer is trying to connect automatically to one an not the other.

Worth a try.

go bowe
02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Damn robots never do what you want... sometimes you gotta beat em..the sledge idea worked really well...

everything is working again..

thanks for all your help guys...

i appreciate it...