PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports SI Curse claims another victim

alnorth
02-10-2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/original/Vonn_2.10.jpg

Barely a week after severely injuring her right shin during a training run in Austria, U.S. Alpine star Lindsey Vonn told reporters Wednesday that this is the "most painful injury I've ever had."

While trying to stay positive, Vonn says it's possible that she may not be able to compete at all. Training for Alpine skiing begins Thursday and the first event is Sunday. Coming into the Games, Vonn had hoped to compete in five events, but this latest injury is the "biggest challenge" Vonn says she's ever faced.

"This is not where I wanted to be coming into the Games," Vonn said.

She said she'll know more about where she stands physically when she gets on the hill Thursday.

This morning on "Today" Lindsey Vonn, who is a favorite to win gold in downhill and super giant slalom in Vancouver, talks with Matt Lauer about an "excruciatingly painful" shin injury...

LINDSEY VONN: Well, after the last World Cup race we had in St. Moritz, we went to Austria for a training camp and essentially the first training run that I had, I crashed on the slalom and um, I hurt my shin.

MATT LAUER: Which shin?

LINDSEY VONN: My right shin. And I didn't. I didn't know what to do. I mean, it was, I couldn't walk, I, the first day you know, I was totally unsure of what we were going to do and we were planning on leaving to go home the next day and so we, we changed all of our plans. We stayed over in Europe an extra four days to do therapy with the Red Bull team and um, we, I was freaking out. I thought that a few days before the Olympics, you know, everything is coming, come crashing down.

MATT LAUER: So this happened, from today, how long ago?

LINDSEY VONN: A week.

MATT LAUER: One week ago today.

LINDSEY VONN: Yeah

MATT LAUER: And right now how much pain are you in?

LINDSEY VONN: I actually can walk normally now without pain but I tried putting on my boot a few times and it's very painful.

MATT LAUER: So obviously for people who aren't skiers, someone like you who is an aggressive skier, that boot hits you right on the shin that you're talking about (LINDSEY VONN: Exactly) and as you flex forward for speed, there is a lot of contact there.

LINDSEY VONN: Yeah. I mean, when I tried my boot on, I was just standing in the hotel room barely flexing forward and it was excruciatingly painful and I've got to try to ski downhill at 75, 80 miles an hour with a lot of forces pushed up against my shin and I don't honestly know if I'll be able to do it.

Mr. Laz
02-10-2010, 04:36 PM
i know it sounds silly ... several people on this board scoff and jinxes and bad luck but i would seriously consider turning SI down if i was a big time athlete and had something important coming up.

The Franchise
i know it sounds silly ... several people on this board scoff and jinxes and bad luck but i would seriously consider turning SI down if i was a big time athlete and had something important coming up.

IIRC there have been players who turn down the Madden cover because of the jinx.

SPATCH
damn... good call

Kyle DeLexus
02-10-2010, 04:40 PM
IIRC there have been players who turn down the Madden cover because of the jinx.

Every damn year that Madden thing comes true, they need to just put some other shit on it instead of Athletes.

Cannibal
02-10-2010, 04:44 PM
That broads ass looks inviting in that pic.

sedated
02-10-2010, 04:51 PM

she looks well-trained for certain "positions"

Cannibal
02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
she looks well-trained for certain "positions"

Maybe her boyfriend is also a skier and they do that position while actually skiing. That would be so awesome!

POND_OF_RED
02-10-2010, 04:57 PM
These curses are very real.

I just hope I'm there to see Brooklyn Decker (swimsuit cover girl) have a wardrobe malfunction on the beach one day.

Scorp
02-10-2010, 05:01 PM
I wonder if she gives what her boots says?

Halfcan
02-10-2010, 05:18 PM

yep killed the Chiefs ;)

SDChiefs
02-10-2010, 05:22 PM

This. Rep to anyone that can find better pics of it.

chefsos
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM
This. Rep to anyone that can find better pics of it.http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010_swimsuit/images/fronts/lindsey-vonn.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/video/lindsey-vonn.html

That work for ya?

(The video's even awesomer.)

WhitiE
02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
i think their going to have to put 2 people on the cover of madden from now on so theres at least a 50/50 chance they wont get injured.... unless larry got hurt and i didnt hear about it.