PDA

View Full Version : Economics Sprint stock down 9% after reporting earnings..

petegz28
02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Contrary to their report of only losing 540k post-paid customers, the real numbers show it was the expected 930k or so. They are trying to spin the numbers to make things look better than they are. In the meantime, they missed their earnings by .04 a share and their revenue came in less than expected. The good news is the CFO says he sees no layoffs on the horizon. That is good for my former, fellow-employees at Sprint. But I too heard that tune more than once during my time with Sprint.

The simple fact is Sprint is going to become the country's largest pre-paid wireless provider if they aren't there yet. Their days of post-paid (contract based) business are numbered. AT&T and Verizon continue to add customers by the millions with higher phone plan costs than Sprint. Sprint says battling churn is their priority for 2010. That was also their priority in 07, 08 and 09.

I wish for the best for the Sprint employees. I really do. I would hate for them to be in the same seat I am now but I can't say I hold a lot of hope for them. They are being lead by executives and managment from Nextel who was nearly in bankruptcy when Sprint bought them. Now they have managed to flush out all the Sprint managment and the company is on the same track that Nextel was. Go figure.

banyon
02-10-2010, 05:07 PM
So, they're not able to compete with Verizon and AT&T and are stepping down to the minors to battle it out with Boost Mobile and TracPhone?

petegz28
02-10-2010, 05:08 PM
So, they're not able to compete with a giant octopus and AT&T and are stepping down to the minors to battle it out with Boost Mobile and TracPhone?

Sprint actually is Boost Mobile. That is what the iDen (Nextel) network is being used for. They bought Virgin Mobile and rumors are floating they may by LEAP who owns Cricket.

petegz28
02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Just to add, banyon, if Sprint didn't have Boost Mobile they would have filed bankruptcy already. It is the only thing keeping that company afloat. But the problem with that is, is that it takes 2-3 pre-paid or Boost Mobile customers to = the revenue of 1 Sprint post-pad (contract based) customer. So when you do the math, they have to add 2x-3x more customers on the Boost Mobile side to offset the loss of 1 Sprint customer. And that isn't happening.

Halfcan
02-10-2010, 05:11 PM
fug sprint

banyon
02-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Just to add, banyon, if Sprint didn't have Boost Mobile they would have filed bankruptcy already. It is the only thing keeping that company afloat. But the problem with that is, is that it takes 2-3 pre-paid or Boost Mobile customers to = the revenue of 1 Sprint post-pad (contract based) customer. So when you do the math, they have to add 2x-3x more customers on the Boost Mobile side to offset the loss of 1 Sprint customer. And that isn't happening.

They are screwed then. I would short this stock with a 2012 LEAP put.

petegz28
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
They are screwed then. I would short this stock with a 2012 LEAP put.

You know, I was so damned tempted the other day to buy a put on them cause I knew this shit was coming out. But I didn't pull the trigger. If you just look at the numbers they are amazing:

Verizon=91 mil customers
ATT=85 mil customers
Sprint=48 mil customers.

And Sprint continues to lose and the other 2 gain.

dirk digler
02-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I didn't realize pre-paid cell service was so big

petegz28
02-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I didn't realize pre-paid cell ShamWow! was so big

huh? lol Can I get that in english?

dirk digler
02-10-2010, 05:28 PM
huh? lol Can I get that in english?

WTF is shamwow? Did you put that in there?

petegz28
02-10-2010, 05:32 PM
WTF is shamwow? Did you put that in there?

No, that is why I was asking you WTF you were talking about?

dirk digler
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
No, that is why I was asking you WTF you were talking about?

Yeah I didn't put that in there. lol

petegz28
02-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Yeah I didn't put that in there. lol

Well, if I understand what you were asking, pre-paid phones are big among the credit challenged and youths. Particularly in the lower-income areas.

dirk digler
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Well, if I understand what you were asking, pre-paid phones are big among the credit challenged and youths. Particularly in the lower-income areas.

Yeah I just didn't realize how popular they have become. That is interesting info.

Saul Good
02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
The word "ser vice" has become service somehow on this board.

petegz28
02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
The word "ser vice" has become ShamWow! somehow on this board.

"the m an" has become Tony Orlando and Dawn LMAO

Silock
02-11-2010, 08:13 AM
This really sucks for my dad. After working for them since 1972, he's got a TON of stock in them. :sigh:

Hopefully they'll get bought out by someone soon.

journeyscarab
02-11-2010, 12:28 PM

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM
This really sucks for my dad. After working for them since 1972, he's got a TON of stock in them. :sigh:

Hopefully they'll get bought out by someone soon.Sold my stock at $22.

jiveturkey
02-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I just don't get it. I switched from Verizon back in Sept and I'm loving Spring. I pay about half of what I was paying with Verizon.

And I've never had signal issues.

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I just don't get it. I switched from Verizon back in Sept and I'm loving Spring. I pay about half of what I was paying with Verizon.

And I've never had signal issues.I liked Sprint. Stayed with them from 2000- 2009 when I switched to the IPhone.

jiveturkey
02-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I liked Sprint. Stayed with them from 2000- 2009 when I switched to the IPhone.And that's understandable. It's a kick ass phone.

I know of a handful of people that absolutely hate AT&T's coverage though. If the iPhone was on Sprint and Verizon would you stick with AT&T?

wild1
02-11-2010, 01:34 PM
And that's understandable. It's a kick ass phone.

I know of a handful of people that absolutely hate AT&T's coverage though. If the iPhone was on Sprint and Verizon would you stick with AT&T?

I'd switch over to Verizon, personally.

BigRedChief
02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
And that's understandable. It's a kick ass phone.

I know of a handful of people that absolutely hate AT&T's coverage though. If the iPhone was on Sprint and Verizon would you stick with AT&T?No, I went with AT&T for the Iphone only. Welll really the apps. now, more carriers are getting into the app phones so in about a year and a half we will take a look around and see whats on the market.