PDA

View Full Version : Media Chris Matthews admits he's Marxist...

Taco John
02-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Found this somewhat unsurprising. But I'm thankful that he has the stones to go on record about it...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nbwfq6-RTbQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nbwfq6-RTbQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

munkey
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Matthews = tool....of the worst kind.

Jenson71
02-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Oh, for godssakes. He is clearly confused as to what Marxism is. It's not equivalent to being rational. Taco, this is pathetic.

WoodDraw
02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Oh, for godssakes. He is clearly confused as to what Marxism is. It's not equivalent to being rational. Taco, this is pathetic.

No shit. This might be the lamest "gotcha" I've seen. Not only does it make no sense, but it's Chris Matthews!

Reaper16
02-11-2010, 05:59 AM
I've written a lot of Marxist literary criticism, as that is the name given to criticism that explores issues of economic struggle or class struggle. Doesn't mean that I am a Marxist. I think, though Matthews is often confusing, that he was saying that his political analysis is Marxist in the same way; that critical theory would call his analysis Marxist because it is centered around the idea that people vote based on how they are doing economically.

Chief Henry
02-11-2010, 07:29 AM
Thus his ratings are miserable because he's got zero credibility with people except the flaming hard line liberals.

Royal Fanatic
02-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Chris Matthews lost all credibilty when he was pimping Obama so much prior to the election that one of the other reporters on MSNBC sarcastically asked Matthews if it was his job to get Obama elected.

Matthews looked at him and replied "Yes".

I forgot who the other reporter was, but he looked stunned. So was I. Chris Matthews doesn't even pretend to be objective. He's become a shill for the Democrats.

He hasn't always been that way. Several years ago Matthews interviewed an Obama supporter and grilled him relentlessly. He asked the guy to name a single thing Obama has accomplished as a politician. The guy kept trying to change the subject, and Matthews made him look like a fool. That makes it that much sadder to see how Matthews has deteriorated the last two years.

MSNBC died when Tim Russert died.

Chiefshrink
02-11-2010, 08:35 AM

THIS! My guess is that Russert kept Chris in check because Chris has definitely shown his 'true colors' since Russert's passing.:thumb:

BigChiefFan
02-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Chris Matthews lost all credibilty when he was pimping Obama so much prior to the election that one of the other reporters on MSNBC sarcastically asked Matthews if it was his job to get Obama elected.

Matthews looked at him and replied "Yes".

I forgot who the other reporter was, but he looked stunned. So was I. Chris Matthews doesn't even pretend to be objective. He's become a shill for the Democrats.

He hasn't always been that way. Several years ago Matthews interviewed an Obama supporter and grilled him relentlessly. He asked the guy to name a single thing Obama has accomplished as a politician. The guy kept trying to change the subject, and Matthews made him look like a fool. That makes it that much sadder to see how Matthews has deteriorated the last two years.

Agreed. Mathews, used to take a fair approach, now he wears blinders.

Velvet_Jones
02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I have not trusted that fucker since I found out that when BO talks, he gets the jimmylegs.

Chief Faithful
02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Rachel Maddow did not react to it at all.

ChiTown
02-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Because she's a Marxist as well.
:thumb:

Reaper16
02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Because smart people understand what Matthews is talking about.

petegz28
02-11-2010, 02:29 PM

:LOL:

LMAO, you used smart people and Matthews in the same sentence.

Jenson71
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM
:LOL:

LMAO, you used smart people and Matthews in the same sentence.

"Smart people hate Chris Matthews."

Not so funny now?

Taco John
02-11-2010, 02:37 PM

How did you interpret "I'm Marxist when it comes to analysis?"

Jenson71
02-11-2010, 02:40 PM

The moral of the story is to not listen to people (Matthews) who clearly have little idea of what he's talking about. Just don't watch cable news.

Chief Faithful
02-11-2010, 02:44 PM

:spock: I was talking about Rachel Maddow.

petegz28
02-11-2010, 02:48 PM
"Smart people hate Chris Matthews."

Not so funny now?

Jenson, I am desperately seeking a sense of humor for you for Christmas.

orange
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Gee, it's almost like it's a term that has existed and has a meaning or something.

Maybe, just maybe...

Marxist analysis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'Marxist analysis', or marxist methodology, including the dialectical method is any analysis that uses methods similar to those that were used in the works by Karl Marx. The term marxian analysis strictly refers to the particular analysis made by Marx himself, like the critique of capitalism and its characteristic commodity fetishism, division of labour-production. Instead, the term marxist analysis refers more broadly to similar approaches applied by other scholars to multiple subjects.

The distinctive Marxist approach originates from Marx's critique of political economy, in his works Das Kapital and Grundrisse. His earlier writings, The German Ideology and The Communist Manifesto, are instead those discussing Communism, and are those that Friedrich Engels co-authored.

The original focus of Marxist analysis was the critical analysis of how societies works, particularly the capitalist one, and to lay down a theory of social change.

One of the Marxist analysis tools, is to approach to the understanding of a concrete reality "not through its momentary surface form", but "through conceptualization of those dialectical relations that determine it".

Examples
Historian T. J. Clark, with coauthor Nicholson-Smith, identified two texts of the Situationist International as classics of Marxist analysis:

(1965) The Class Struggles in Algeria ( translation from original French by Ken Knabb ). The text was circulated clandestinely in Algeria (December 1965) and was then reprinted in No 10 of the Situationist International (Paris, March 1966). The article deals with the situation in Algeria at the time of Ben Bella and Boumedienne. The article was later published as a wall poster.

(1967) The Explosion Point of Ideology in China ( translation from original French by Ken Knabb ) It was originally published as a pamphlet on August 16 1967, and then reprinted in No 11 of the Situationist International (Paris, October 1967). The article is an attack to Mao's Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxist_analysis

Yes. I guess it does pre-date Chris Matthews after all.

Royal Fanatic
02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Gee, it's almost like it's a term that has existed and has a meaning or something.

Maybe, just maybe...

Marxist analysis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'Marxist analysis', or marxist methodology, including the dialectical method is any analysis that uses methods similar to those that were used in the works by Karl Marx. The term marxian analysis strictly refers to the particular analysis made by Marx himself, like the critique of capitalism and its characteristic commodity fetishism, division of labour-production. Instead, the term marxist analysis refers more broadly to similar approaches applied by other scholars to multiple subjects.

The distinctive Marxist approach originates from Marx's critique of political economy, in his works Das Kapital and Grundrisse. His earlier writings, The German Ideology and The Communist Manifesto, are instead those discussing Communism, and are those that Friedrich Engels co-authored.

The original focus of Marxist analysis was the critical analysis of how societies works, particularly the capitalist one, and to lay down a theory of social change.

One of the Marxist analysis tools, is to approach to the understanding of a concrete reality "not through its momentary surface form", but "through conceptualization of those dialectical relations that determine it".

Examples
Historian T. J. Clark, with coauthor Nicholson-Smith, identified two texts of the Situationist International as classics of Marxist analysis:

(1965) The Class Struggles in Algeria ( translation from original French by Ken Knabb ). The text was circulated clandestinely in Algeria (December 1965) and was then reprinted in No 10 of the Situationist International (Paris, March 1966). The article deals with the situation in Algeria at the time of Ben Bella and Boumedienne. The article was later published as a wall poster.

(1967) The Explosion Point of Ideology in China ( translation from original French by Ken Knabb ) It was originally published as a pamphlet on August 16 1967, and then reprinted in No 11 of the Situationist International (Paris, October 1967). The article is an attack to Mao's Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marxist_analysis

Yes. I guess it does pre-date Chris Matthews after all.

I don't follow the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that there shouldn't be a negative connotation to the term?

orange
02-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't follow the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that there shouldn't be a negative connotation to the term?

I'm saying that he's not a Marxist.

And yes, there shouldn't be a negative connotation to the term. It's just a methodology. It presumes that political actions are motivated by economic circumstances - a point uncontroversially made many, many times in this forum by even the furthest non-Marxist posters.

Marxist analysis in a nutshell: "It's the economy, stupid."

Reaper16
02-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Its not like I answered that in post 5 of this thread or anything.

patteeu
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM

I knew that Clinton guy was a Marxist!

Fat Elvis
02-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm saying that he's not a Marxist.

And yes, there shouldn't be a negative connotation to the term. It's just a methodology. It presumes that political actions are motivated by economic circumstances - a point uncontroversially made many, many times in this forum by even the furthest non-Marxist posters.

Ding. Ding. Ding.