PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink The Majestic Restaurant

thurman merman
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I am taking my wife to the Majestic Restaurant for Valentine's Day. I have never been there, but I am really looking forward to the food and the live jazz. Has anybody been there before? Is the live jazz in a separate room, or right there in the dining room? Any details about your dining and jazz-listening experiences here would be greatly appreciated.

sedated
02-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I've only been there once, and it was for lunch, so I can't help much. But I did hear at some point it closed and re-opened under new ownership recently.

Bearcat
02-11-2010, 11:49 AM
The main dining room is at ground level and the live jazz is downstairs (and a cigar club upstairs)... if you made reservations for the dining room, you can still go downstairs afterward and sit at the bar or a cocktail table. You can also make the reservation to eat downstairs, but if you didn't specify it's probably too late.

I love the place... worked there for a few years and have eaten there several times.

Bearcat
02-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Also, they used to have the live jazz in the main dining room on Sunday evenings, but I'm pretty sure it would be downstairs this Sunday since it'll obviously be busier.... if you're going Saturday night though, it'll definitely be downstairs, and hopefully Bram Wijnands is playing. He's opened at Carnegie Hall... yeah, he's real good.

tyton75
02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
How is the food under the new management? and the prices?

Demonpenz
02-11-2010, 01:16 PM
30 bucks for a steak dinner bill should be around 100 bucks

Dave Lane
02-11-2010, 01:17 PM
The jazz is downstairs. I'd go to the Savoy Grill a couple blocks away its even cooler. Just me though.

Pants
02-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Wasn't there a thread here a few months ago about the place closing down? I know it happened because it was right after I went there... Did they re-open? What gives?

tyton75
02-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I had the BEST t-bone steak I have ever had in my life at the Savoy a couple years ago

Bearcat
02-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes, it reopened under the name The Majestic Restaurant (not The Majestic Steakhouse). The website says they only have jazz on Friday and Saturday nights now... not sure about Valentine's night though.

You can find the menu online, too... doesn't look much different than before, except for a couple of fish dishes.

http://www.majestickc.com/index.html

Bearcat
02-11-2010, 01:31 PM
They also use OpenTable to reserve online, and it looks like you can still get a table on Saturday or Sunday night. When I worked there, the person who answered the phone would laugh at you if you asked about Valentine's night reservations within a month of 2/14.

Demonpenz
02-11-2010, 02:36 PM
They also use OpenTable to reserve online, and it looks like you can still get a table on Saturday or Sunday night. When I worked there, the person who answered the phone would laugh at you if you asked about Valentine's night reservations within a month of 2/14.

that's good service :spock:

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2010, 02:47 PM

that happened to a guy i know when he tried to get a rez at dorsia

Joie
02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I went there once, about ten years ago. The jazz was good, didn't eat there though. IIRC it was rather busy...and we just sat at a cocktail table downstairs.

stlchiefs
02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
The jazz is downstairs. I'd go to the Savoy Grill a couple blocks away its even cooler. Just me though.

Never been to majestic, but I can say that the Savoy is an awesome, old school, classy place. Great food too. :thumb:

thurman merman
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Also, they used to have the live jazz in the main dining room on Sunday evenings, but I'm pretty sure it would be downstairs this Sunday since it'll obviously be busier.... if you're going Saturday night though, it'll definitely be downstairs, and hopefully Bram Wijnands is playing. He's opened at Carnegie Hall... yeah, he's real good.

Yeah, we are actually going Saturday night. I've been listening to some Bram Wijnands online and he is awesome. That's the main reason I'm going.

I will try to check out the Savoy some other time too.

thurman merman
02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Wasn't there a thread here a few months ago about the place closing down? I know it happened because it was right after I went there... Did they re-open? What gives?

Yeah, we actually tried to go there last year for our anniversary, but it was closed down. They appear to have re-opened.