PDA

View Full Version : Obama More Taxes fuel Job growth?

HonestChieffan
02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
How will they try to explain this?

Obama's Top Economic Adviser: "Almost All Economists Believe More Taxes Fuels Job Growth"...

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=XdnzIrkUaG" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=XdnzIrkUaG" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

petegz28
02-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I want to see proof that "almost all economists" believe this?

Sounds like this will be the excuse Obama uses to raise taxes on the middle class.

HonestChieffan
02-11-2010, 04:46 PM
see strawman thread....

orange
02-11-2010, 05:06 PM
"... favor supporting current law augmented by a whole range of tax cuts directed at those who are most likely to spend..."

NOTHING about "more taxes."

Nothing to see here, just another lying DishonestChieffan thread title.

petegz28
02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
"... favor supporting current law augmented by a whole range of tax cuts directed at those who are most likely to spend..."

Well, just to add, Mr. Orange, the commission Obama is putting together is already telling him taxing only the rich is not going to be enough.

petegz28
02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
And, if I go by Orange's argument, the rich, who are the ones still with plenty of spending money, should have more of that taken away so they have less to spend in the economy and this somehow is going to spur economic growth? :shrug:

banyon
02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Wow, the video doesn't say anything like what the OP claims. Just a flat out distortion apparently.

Any explanation, HCF?

The Mad Crapper
02-16-2010, 09:50 AM
http://www.moonbattery.com/better-off.jpg

wild1
02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.moonbattery.com/better-off.jpg

Where can I buy that bumper sticker?

patteeu
02-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Wow, the video doesn't say anything like what the OP claims. Just a flat out distortion apparently.

Any explanation, HCF?

You guys are both smarter than this. Summers doesn't say the words "more taxes" but he's talking about rolling tax cuts back (i.e. raising taxes) and combining that with targeted tax cuts. Whether the net is a tax increase or a tax cut isn't very clear, but I think we could all guess which way this administration is headed.

petegz28
02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
You guys are both smarter than this. Summers doesn't say the words "more taxes" but he's talking about rolling tax cuts back (i.e. raising taxes) and combining that with targeted tax cuts. Whether the net is a tax increase or a tax cut isn't very clear, but I think we could all guess which way this administration is headed.

"Rolling tax cuts back" does not equal "tax hikes" in the Liberal mind as long as it is on the wealthy.

I guarantee if we "rolled back" tax cuts that the middle and lower classes recieved the Left would label them as "tax hikes" in a New York minute.

patteeu
02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
"Rolling tax cuts back" does not equal "tax hikes" in the Liberal mind as long as it is on the wealthy.

I guarantee if we "rolled back" tax cuts that the middle and lower classes recieved the Left would label them as "tax hikes" in a New York minute.

I'm not so sure you're right about that. I'm confident we'll find out soon enough though.

banyon
02-16-2010, 02:13 PM

This was the quote:

it's not even close to "more taxes fuel job growth"

You may want to guess that's what Obama is going to do, but you don't get to just put the words in his mouth when they didn't happen.

bkkcoh
02-16-2010, 02:26 PM

It will be interesting to see if the speech/campaign promise that Obama wouldn't raise taxes on anyone who made less then $250,000 response is like GHWB "read my lips" statement.

patteeu
02-16-2010, 02:39 PM
This was the quote:

it's not even close to "more taxes fuel job growth"

You may want to guess that's what Obama is going to do, but you don't get to just put the words in his mouth when they didn't happen.

Did you even bother to listen to the video or are you just copying "the quote" from orange's post? The answer that the quote came from was a response to a question about whether raising taxes by allowing some of the Bush tax cuts to expire was a good thing. I'm not putting any words in his mouth, but you don't get to erase all context just because he avoided using the words himself.

My description is the most fair and balanced description of what happened on that video in this thread.

orange
02-16-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm not putting any words in his mouth, but you don't get to erase all context just because he avoided using the words himself.

Is the following TRUE or FALSE?

Obama's Top Economic Adviser: "Almost All Economists Believe More Taxes Fuels Job Growth"...

That is, did Obama's Top Economic Advisor say that or not?

And if not, should anyone even try to defend the claim that was never made?

Also, is my quote above a fair and accurate transcription of what he really said, or not?

patteeu
02-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Is the following TRUE or FALSE?

That is, did Obama's Top Economic Advisor say that or not?

And if not, should anyone even try to defend the claim that was never made?

Also, is my quote above a fair and accurate transcription of what he really said, or not?

It is false... he did not...no... and yes it's fair and accurate. That's not what you said the first time, though.

orange
02-16-2010, 04:40 PM
That's not what you said the first time, though.

HonestChieffan fabricating a thread title that bears no relationship to the actual story he links has a storied history, here.

Would it have been better if I said, "There you go again." - ?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ea0RyWesL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

fan4ever
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Obama's not the only guy who needs a teleprompter; the stammering was remarkable. Even he didn't look like he believed the B.S. coming out of his mouth. I feel much better about the economy with a guy like this sharing the responsibility. Sheesh.

googlegoogle
02-17-2010, 02:54 AM
'rewarding employers for hiring workers'.

Workers are rewarded when employers are rewarded.

Just shows old saying is right , Democrats love workers but hate employers.

Chief Henry
02-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Step 1. Put the capital gains tax at 0% for 2 years and then 5% indefinately.

Step 2. Kill the 2,000 page monster of a health care bill too.

Step 3. Kill the cap and trade BS

Step 4. Keep President Bush's tax rates in tact.

If Obama and the dems would come forth with that 4 step plan, the economy would start rolling in 4-6 months. Employers could then plan accordingly and not have to
worry about SURPISES popping up from Washington DC. Sadley, the dems and Obama
will not do that and Employers will keep a closed fist on hiring new EE's, especially
small bsn. owners.

banyon
02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Step 1. Put the capital gains tax at 0% for 2 years and then 5% indefinately.

Step 2. Kill the 2,000 page monster of a health care bill too.

Step 3. Kill the cap and trade BS

Step 4. Keep President Bush's tax rates in tact.

If Obama and the dems would come forth with that 4 step plan, the economy would start rolling in 4-6 months. Employers could then plan accordingly and not have to
worry about SURPISES popping up from Washington DC. Sadley, the dems and Obama
will not do that and Employers will keep a closed fist on hiring new EE's, especially
small bsn. owners.

BS. 5% cap gains doesn't save them 10% of what they save on labor by outsourcing everything to the lowest, most desperate bidder. This is endemic and has been going on for 2 decades, independent of some minor tax policy adjustments.

Chief Henry
02-17-2010, 01:16 PM
BS. 5% cap gains doesn't save them 10% of what they save on labor by outsourcing everything to the lowest, most desperate bidder. This is endemic and has been going on for 2 decades, independent of some minor tax policy adjustments.

OK, then keep capital gains tax at 0%. That would be much better anyway.

Saul Good
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM

This is true. Leveling the playing field with China with trade restrictions is the only way to do that, and we know that's not happening any time soon. If you do that, they turn off the spigot.

China makes tens of trillions off of unbalanced trading rules. China "loans" 10% of that back to the US in order to keep the wheel nice and greasy. American politicians and their cronies get to spend to their hearts content.

Everybody wins (except for a billion exploited laborers in China and the millions of unemployed would-be workers in the US).

banyon
02-18-2010, 09:28 AM
OK, then keep capital gains tax at 0%. That would be much better anyway.

Low cap gains was great when you were encouraging reinvestment into American workers and production here, but pretty much now most of American corporate reinvestment goes overseas, so we don't get the benefit we used to. Lowering the cap gains is pretty much just a cash-grab windfall for them now.