PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Miles Austin

The Bad Guy
02-11-2010, 05:20 PM
The Cowboys are saying they won't place the tag on Miles Austin. I realize they are saying this right now and they likely will.

If Miles Austin hits the open market, would you break the bank to sign him?

Pestilence
02-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Meh.

kstater
02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
No

MikeMaslowski
02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
He will most likely have a lull next season. Break the bank.... nah, but signing him would be an upgrade.

The Bad Guy
02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I think I'd give him a very rich contract. I watched him extensively this year because he was on my fantasy team. He runs great, great routes. He has really really good hands too.

LaChapelle
02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
1 year isn't enough
for the $$ he'll demand
and it wasn't a full one

MahiMike
02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
2 words:

Hell

Yeah!

stanleychief
02-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I thought he had a pretty good year, but then again I didn't watch every game Dallas played. He is still a huge upgrade over anything we have right now. I would love to see us make an aggressive move to pick him up, but if the price is outlandish then we should fill some other needs.

MahiMike
02-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I think I'd give him a very rich contract. I watched him extensively this year because he was on my fantasy team. He runs great, great routes. He has really really good hands too.

Same here. I was probably the only guy in our league that watched him go off against us. I could tell he was a sleeper. Ended up being my #1. And I had Colston and Megatron. Won my league. I'd definitely try for him. Like him better than Boldin.

kstater
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM

Yes, it's usually wise to give a big second contract to a player that has less than 100 career catches in 4 years.

Brock
02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
I would (the whole thing).

tyler360
02-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Only if Mike Brown signs with the opposing team each week.

CaliforniaChief
02-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Shouldn't he give us a discount of some sort? We did put him on the map to begin with, after all.

DA_T_84
02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Its not my money. It doesn't hurt any cap, as there is not one to hurt.

Why the fuck not? Give him 8 billion. 2 years. But make sure we backload it.... just in case.

The Bad Guy
02-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Yes, it's usually wise to give a big second contract to a player that has less than 100 career catches in 4 years.

And when he's been given a starting job, he's produced at an all-pro level. The guy has talent. Whether or not you want to ignore that fact is up to you.

Teams give college players big contracts without proving shit in the NFL. Guys like Miles Austin, who would work hard whether he was the highest paid or the smallest paid, is worth the gamble.

OnTheWarpath58
02-11-2010, 05:33 PM
He's a RFA.

They may not put the franchise tag on him, but they'll sign him to a high tender and still control his rights.

He'll get $3M, and any team that wants him will have to give up a R1 and R3 pick.

He's going nowhere.

kstater
02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
And when he's been given a starting job, he's produced at an all-pro level. The guy has talent. Whether or not you want to ignore that fact is up to you.

Teams give college players big contracts without proving shit in the NFL. Guys like Miles Austin, who would work hard whether he was the highest paid or the smallest paid, is worth the gamble.

Why did it take 4 years to get the starting job? Was he not working hard or did he not have the talent?

LaChapelle
02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
What a minute
trying to out bid JJ..........

DA_T_84
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Why did it take 4 years to get the starting job? Was he not working hard or did he not have the talent?

T.O., Wade Fuckups, etc...

The Bad Guy
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Yeah, he only was stuck behind Terrell Owens.

Get a fucking clue.

The Bad Guy
02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
He's a RFA.

They may not put the franchise tag on him, but they'll sign him to a high tender and still control his rights.

He'll get $3M, and any team that wants him will have to give up a R1 and R3 pick.

He's going nowhere.

I did completely forget about this. But I could also see a team willing to meet that price tag. The Jets signed him to an offer sheet last year at a 2nd round value and the Cowboys matched it.

kstater
02-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah, he only was stuck behind Terrell Owens.

Get a fucking clue.

What's your excuse for him only starting half the games this year?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I did completely forget about this. But I could also see a team willing to meet that price tag. The Jets signed him to an offer sheet last year at a 2nd round value and the Cowboys matched it.

I don't think anyone will give up a 1 and a 3.

OnTheWarpath58
02-11-2010, 05:40 PM

The dollar amount isn't the issue, IMO. The draft pick compensation is.

No one is going to give up a R1 and R3 for him, and honestly, for $3M, Dallas is getting a damn good deal.

Then they'll either work out a long term deal this year, or slap him with the tag next year.

DA_T_84
02-11-2010, 05:41 PM

Why wasn't Priest Holmes drafted? These are things we do not know.

Easy 6
02-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Jerry Jones will never let it happen anyway, dollars be damned, Austin is key piece for them who's developing a unique rapport with the QB for 2010.

Anything else from JJ Ewing is purely posturing, IMO.

SNR
02-11-2010, 05:44 PM
What's your excuse for him only starting half the games this year?He didn't play the Chiefs and their career-maker defense until midseason?

kstater

And Priest Holmes also performed for more than 8 games before getting a big second contract.

DaneMcCloud

For the same reason why he couldn't finish most of his seasons with the Chiefs: Injury prone.

Sure-Oz
02-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Doesn't matter, the guy absolutely trashed everyone. What was Charles excuse then for not getting on the field? Same bs behind an older player and doubts about his talent

DA_T_84
02-11-2010, 05:48 PM
For the same reason why he couldn't finish most of his seasons with the Chiefs: Injury prone.

His Givemeanerectionwhilebreakingrecords bone was never broken. And it never will be.

SDChiefs
02-11-2010, 05:53 PM
In a New York minute

bevischief
02-11-2010, 05:54 PM
If he only plays against the 2009 Chiefs defense every game...

Or he signs for cheap...

Wilson8
02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I'd love to have Miles Austin on the Chiefs but he is NOT leaving Dallas -

Jerry Jones: Cowboys want to sign Miles Austin long-term and are still committed to Roy Williams

If Miles Austin hadn't done enough to earn a long-term contract from the Cowboys in October, he definitely has now.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Thursday he wants to sign the first-time Pro Bowler, who's due to be a restricted, to a deal that will keep him in Dallas for an extended time.

"Yes," Jones said, via ESPN. "That's all I'm going to say, but the answer is yes."

Stephen Jones, the Cowboys' COO, suggested in October that he wanted to see Austin demonstrate he can produce in multiple seasons before committing to a long-term deal.

Austin had 81 catches for 1,320 yards and 11 TDs this season. In 2008, he caught 13 passes for 278 yards and three TDs.

The elder Jones said even if the Cowboys shell out big bucks for Austin, he does not intend to shoo Roy Williams out the door.

The player the Cowboys acquired in a trade with the Lions in 2008 caught just 38 passes this season, but he has a hefty contract that would make cutting him difficult.

And Jones said that Williams "has the will and has the ability" to contribute for the Cowboys."

"You look at his talent, you look at his potential, you look at his contract," Jones said. "You look at how he came early and stayed late, tried to improve, looked for ways to maximize his value. All of those things are a major consideration. His contract is a major consideration."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/01/jerry-jones-cowboys-want-to-sign-miles-austin-long-term-and-are-still-committed-to-roy-williams/1

Chocolate Hog
02-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Trading for Boldin might be the Chiefs most viable option.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Trading for Boldin might be the Chiefs most viable option.

I wouldn't trade for him at this point. He's injury prone and will be too expensive. He knows it too. That's why he's retracted his request for a trade. He knows he needs to stay healthy during the contract year and tear it up.

I honestly don't even want him anymore. It's not good risk vs. reward anymore.

Chocolate Hog
02-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't trade for him at this point. He's injury prone and will be too expensive. He knows it too. That's why he's retracted his request for a trade. He knows he needs to stay healthy during the contract year and tear it up.

For a reported 3rd or 4th round pick? I don't think theres a WR who will be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round that will produce like Boldin.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
For a reported 3rd or 4th round pick? I don't think theres a WR who will be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round that will produce like Boldin.

Depends on what he wants to re sign. I wouldn't sign him to a big money deal at this point. If his requests are reasonable, and the compensation is reasonable, I'd definitely still gamble on him. But I wouldn't at the cost of a 1st or 2nd round pick, and having to pay the guy 10 milly a year.

Chocolate Hog
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Depends on what he wants to re sign. I wouldn't sign him to a big money deal at this point. If his requests are reasonable, and the compensation is reasonable, I'd definitely still gamble on him. But I wouldn't at the cost of a 1st or 2nd round pick, and having to pay the guy 10 milly a year.

Yea I certainly wouldn't trade a 1st for Boldin. It'll be interesting to see if Bowe is going to threaten to hold out which could effect things too.

Johnny Vegas
02-11-2010, 06:42 PM
yes and that should light a fire under DBO's ass to start performing better for a new contract.

TEX
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM

It sure is especially if the rumors are true in that he could be had for a 3rd. I'd do it in a second for that.

Ralphy Boy
02-11-2010, 09:05 PM
It sure is especially if the rumors are true in that he could be had for a 3rd. I'd do it in a second for that.

I thought the Dolphins had already offered a third. (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:QlHf0UHcRAIJ:bleacherreport.com/articles/343073-anquan-boldin-miami-dolphins-brass-reportedly-talking-trade-with-cards+anquan+boldin+trade&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Chief Faithful
02-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Break the bank on a guy that took 4+ years to prove he belonged and less then a year of productive play? No

-King-
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Break the bank on a guy that took 4+ years to prove he belonged and less then a year of productive play? No

Who said anything about breaking the bank? I doubt this guy was a one year wonder. He runs good routes, catches the ball well, and is good at YAC. He has the speed to be a deep threat, as well as the ability to catch short routes and do something after the catch.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/milesaustin.jpg

Someone had a photoshop of the alien from Alien in this Miles Austin pic.

The scary part is there wasn't much of a difference.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 12:22 AM

You'd trade a 3rd round draft pick for a guy that has 1 year on his contract? I would never do that.

Thig Lyfe
02-12-2010, 12:39 AM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/milesaustin.jpg

Someone had a photoshop of the alien from Alien in this Miles Austin pic.

The scary part is there wasn't much of a difference.

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/smilinmiles.jpg

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 12:40 AM
ROFL

KCChiefsMan
02-12-2010, 02:40 AM
yes I would, I wouldn't give him any record setting contract. But I would give him a nice deal. We desperately need WRs that can catch and run routes and get open and he did that really nicely this year. Bowe + Austin would be a nice tandem and if Cassel is ever going to make it here he needs WR's that can catch. Austin has good hands and it looks like he runs good routes and can get open.

BossChief
02-12-2010, 03:05 AM
If I was a team like Baltimore, I would make him an offer if he is transitioned and not franchised. It would be well worth a late first and late third for his services for their young qb.

I doubt Dallas lets him shake loose though, NO MATTER WHAT.

-King-
02-12-2010, 05:25 AM
If I was a team like Baltimore, I would make him an offer if he is transitioned and not franchised. It would be well worth a late first and late third for his services for their young qb.

I doubt Dallas lets him shake loose though, NO MATTER WHAT.

Teams aren't going to use a transition tag. Its sets them up for the chance that they're outbid for the player by another team and they can't get compensation.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
02-12-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm surprised that the response would be anything short of ecstatic.

In the games I've watched Austin play, he's a playmaker. He makes some big catches, but he's terrific at getting YAC.

I'd rather Austin than Boldin. I know that's a hypothetical and this could be nothing more than a pipe dream, but the fact that Jerry Jones is committed to Roy Williams and not to Austin is nothing short of comical.

Gridironfreak
02-12-2010, 06:47 AM
As the NFL Combine, Free Agency and Draft approach I am excited and want to talk some possibilites for the 2010 version of my favorite team. I didn't include every player at every position who is under contract. Just those names who I view as guys who will, can and could help this football team.

Here is my analysis of each position:

The Offense, New Leader Charlie Weis

QB:
Matt Cassel, Brodie Croyle
First season was a struggle but with Charlie Weis, the emergence of Jamaal Charles and hopefully the front office correcting the WR position, Cassel with have a better more productive 2010 season. Croyle is a restricted free agent and I look for the Chiefs to retain him. He does everything the coaching staff has asked of him and filled in well for Cassel in week 1 of 2009. These guys may not be Brees or Manning but those guys are few and far between. With Charlie Weis and Todd Haley running the offense together this could be a match made in Heaven for Chiefs fans. (Or Hell... Time will tell.)

RB:
Jamaal Charles
When he took over the reigns for Larry Johnson in 2009 he came storming through the gates. He averaged 5.9 yards per carry behind what many believed was a less than stellar offensive line. He gained 1,120 yards and 7 touchdowns, only starting 10 games and playing in 15 out of the 16 weeks. Not sure he can do it alone being more of a speed guy but the Chiefs have something special here. After Charles, they have Kolby Smith who is a restricted free agent. Todd Haley seems high on him and he has shown some flashes of a solid runner but injuries have been hampering Smith who spent most of last season on the PUP list and ended the season on injured reserve. The Chiefs will tender him a contract but they still need to either draft another all around back with some size or find someone in free agency. I think the Chiefs should seriously look at bringing in LenDale White depending on what kind of money he may want. He isnít an every down back but him and Charles would complement each other well.

FB:
Tim Castille, Mike Cox
I thought Castille performed well after signing with the team in late November. The Chiefs offense doesnít require a lot of big play from the FB position. They rushed the ball 17 times between Castille and Cox and both combined for 60 yards and 1 TD. Catching the ball out of the backfield 14 times for 116 yards and 1 TD. My guess is that Castille will be back. Not sure of Cox. Both will be on the roster for camp. I also donít see them addressing this spot in the draft or free agency.

WR:
Dwayne Bowe, Chris Chambers
I think the Chiefs might try to explore trade possibilities with Bowe and start pretty fresh at WR. His 47 receptions led the team but he still drops some easy passes. He got better as the season went on but that 4 game suspension didnít help a guy trying to step up his game. I think Bowe will end up being a good WR in the NFL. If he stays then we will be the No. 1 guy and he will have a lot to prove to the coaches and his fans. Chambers is an unrestricted free agent who will draw a lot of interest from other teams. He joined the Chiefs in November and made an immediate impact. He had two 100 yard games and had 4 TD receptions since his arrival in week 9. I would like to see the Chiefs keep him but my guessing will be with his age (31) he will want to play for a contender. Hopefully the Chiefs can be that team for him. The rest: I think that Bobby Wade will be gone as he wasnít used much in the latter part of the season and he as well as Terrence Copper are restricted free agents. Haley likes Copper but I donít see these two sticking around. Quentin Lawrence will return and get a shot in the return game but may not make it through camp. Lance Long is a slot receiver with a lot of heart and effort but not a lot of size. He will be back and battle for a roster spot in camp. The Chiefs REALLY need to address the receiver position both by draft and free agency. Maybe a guy no sooner than round 3 in the draft unless someone just jumps off the board. Free agency will really be where the Chiefs should fill this hole or by trade. Here is a short list of free agents I feel could help: Kevin Walter, Miles Austin, Brandon Marshall, Steve Breaston and Brad Smith. All but Walter are restricted free agents. They could also trade for someone like Anquan Boldin. (Most of these guys are just hopefuls.)

TE:
Leonard Pope, Brad Cottam.
Pope was pretty solid with 20 receptions in an offense where the TE isnít much of a factor in the passing game. Cottam seemed to be hitting a stride when his season came to an end being placed on injured reserve. The Chiefs will keep both and I donít see much in terms of free agency or draft at bettering the positions. Some names to watch as possible additions are Anthony Fasano and Ben Watson. Iíd love to see the Chiefs go after Owen Daniels however he is restricted and I see the Texans throwing big money at him.

OL:
Branden Albert, Ryan OíCallaghan, Mike Goff, Brian Waters, Rudy Niswanger, Wade Smith
Albert will likely be moved to either right tackle or guard depending on if the Chiefs draft a LT in the first round, which is likely. O'Callaghan is a restricted free agent and I expect him back to either start at RT or be a solid backup. Mike Goff got pushed around a lot before getting injured and something tells me he wonít be back. Brian Waters is Brian Waters. By far the best linemen we have and one of the best in the NFL. Niswanger has a ways to go before being considered a solid starter. The Chiefs may look at free agency or draft for a starter or someone to compete with him. Wade Smith isnít a starter but provides decent depth. He is an unrestricted free agent though. The Chiefs will be busy through free agency and the draft on upgrading the offensive line with depth and maybe a starter or two. There are a lot of names in free agency and Logan Mankins is a name to keep an eye on.

The Defense (the former pride of the franchise) New leader Romeo Crennel
DE:
Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, Alex Magee
All three guys are young. Dorsey played decent against the run but provided no pass rush. Keep in mind he was learning a new position. Jackson will be a starter and maybe Dorsey will benefit from a new d-line coach and having Crennel. I see the Chiefs exploring every opportunity to trade Dorsey before the draft to shed his salary and upgrade the position. They need a solid pass rusher. They will look into Julius Peppers. He will cost a bunch but he wants to play in a 3-4 and play some linebacker too. That could lure him here but the money would be the major factor and he may want to play for someone who he knows is a contender. Alex Magee may turn out to be a solid backup but I just havenít seen much that says future starter. Other ends to look at in free agency are Richard Seymour, Aaron Kampman, Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Green and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

NT:
Ron Edwards
This to me has to addressed early in free agency. Ron Edwards isnít what the Chiefs need here. My guess and strong opinion is that the Chiefs will trade for Vince Wilfork of the Patriots. He was drafted by Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel and could fill a huge (no pun intended) void for the Chiefs. Somewhere in the middle to late round of the draft the Chiefs should also pickup someone to start grooming.

OLB: Mike Vrabel, Andy Studebaker, Tamba Hali
Vrabel was a big reason why the Chiefs defense didnít struggle as much as once thought it would in the 3-4 transition. He is an unrestricted free agent and both sides seem like they want to get a deal done so I look for him to be back. He may have one more solid season left and his leadership doesnít hurt a mostly young bunch of players. Studebaker is being groomed to take over for Vrabel when he is gone and performed at a high level when given the chance last season. He might never be a pro bowler but the kid is solid. Hali was the biggest surprise in 2009. He was even called the best pass rusher they had faced by a Denver linemen. The guy has a motor that just doesnít stop. I look for him to reach at least 10 sacks this season as he gets even more comfortable with the defense. The team will add some depth at the position though through free agency. If Vrabel isnít retained they may look for a starter in FA.

ILB:
Derrick Johnson, Demarrio Williams, Corey Mays, Jevon Belcher
Resigning Johnson is a must in my eyes. The guy is a play maker and I really want to know why he wasnít used more last season. Williams was the teams leading tackler but is replaceable. Mays and Belcher are special teammers filling a role last season that was too big for them. The Chiefs need to address one of these spots if not both is Johnson doesnít come back. He was rumored to be traded before the deadline during the season. He is a restricted free agent and will be tendered a deal. They may wait and see what kind of market value he has. Some names to look at here are Karlos Dansby, Barrett Rudd, DeMeco Ryans, Kirk Morrison and DíQwell Jackson.

CB:
Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Donald Washington
Flowers is one of the best young corners in the game and could elevate to one of the best period with Emmitt Thomas as the new d-backs coach and with him entering his 3rd season. Carr struggled at times last season and people seem to think the Chiefs will look to the draft to make some competiton for Carr. He as well is entering his 3rd season in the league and should improve. I think the Chiefs will draft a corner somewhere no later or sooner than the 3rd round. Washington is a nickel back at best. The Chiefs need to create depth at this position. Donít look for them to add a big name free agent here. Maybe some names off the lower ends of free agency for depth.

S:
Jon McGraw, Jarrad Page
Mike Brown is a free agent and overall played poorly and showed that he is on the down side of his career. He may be back but will compete for the job. McGraw was shaky at times and solid other times filling in. Great special teamer and great team player. Solid backup at best. Jarrad Page should be coming into his own but the jury is still out. He ended the season on injured reserve but he is a play maker. The Chiefs will look for a starter in the draft. If Tennesseeís Eric Berry is still available when the Chiefs pick at 5 then they should draft the kid who has been compared to Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu and would make an immediate impact. Some free agent names to look at would be Nick Collins and Antoine Bethea.

Special Teams:
Ryan Succop, Dustin Colquitt
Succop has to the best Mr. Irrelevant of all time, making him very relevant for a Chiefs team who has needed a solid kicker for while now. Colquitt is one of the best punters in the business. The Chiefs need help in the return game. If Charles is going to be your feature back he wonít be returning and he was the best the Chiefs had last season. Quentin Lawrence and Dantrell Savage show some flashed but havenít been consistent. Free agent Josh Cribbs would look good in the Chiefs jersey and he has ties to Crennel. It isnít likely but one can hope.

The Chiefs unrestricted free agents are S Mike Brown, WR Chris Chambers, WR Terrence Copper, TE Sean Ryan, OL Wade Smith, LB Mike Vrabel, WR Bobby Wade.

The teams restricted free agents are OL Andy Alleman, QB Brodie Croyle, QB Matt Gutierrez, LB Derrick Johnson, LB Corey Mays, OL Ikechuku Ndukwe, OL Rudy Niswanger, OL Ryan OíCallaghan, S Jarrad Page, RB Kolby Smith.

Chiefs Draft Order
Rd 1 pick 5
Rd 2 pick 4, 18
Rd 3 pick 4
Rd 4 pick 4
Rd 5 pick 5, 11, 13

Currently the Chiefs do not have a 6th or 7th round pick.

...your thoughts?

wazimo
02-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Yes. Not a huge contract but a decent one that provides big incentives for bigs plays/ pro balls. What do we really have a WR? Also drops kill a team (as seen in the Superbowl). We cannot rely on Bowe. I would trade him for a 2nd rounder if someone would bite.

Delano
02-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Yes. Not a huge contract but a decent one that provides big incentives for bigs plays/ pro balls. What do we really have a WR? Also drops kill a team (as seen in the Superbowl). We cannot rely on Bowe. I would trade him for a 2nd rounder if someone would bite.

I got your pro balls right here.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
02-12-2010, 07:12 AM
...your thoughts?

Get your own freaking thread.

Tango&Cash
02-12-2010, 07:16 AM
I'd rather give up our 2nd rd pick for Brandon Marshall.

Tango&Cash
02-12-2010, 07:38 AM
As the NFL Combine, Free Agency and Draft approach I am excited and want to talk some possibilites for the 2010 version of my favorite team. I didn't include every player at every position who is under contract. Just those names who I view as guys who will, can and could help this football team.

Here is my analysis of each position:

The Offense, New Leader Charlie Weis

QB:
Matt Cassel, Brodie Croyle
First season was a struggle but with Charlie Weis, the emergence of Jamaal Charles and hopefully the front office correcting the WR position, Cassel with have a better more productive 2010 season. Croyle is a restricted free agent and I look for the Chiefs to retain him. He does everything the coaching staff has asked of him and filled in well for Cassel in week 1 of 2009. These guys may not be Brees or Manning but those guys are few and far between. With Charlie Weis and Todd Haley running the offense together this could be a match made in Heaven for Chiefs fans. (Or Hell... Time will tell.)

RB:
Jamaal Charles
When he took over the reigns for Larry Johnson in 2009 he came storming through the gates. He averaged 5.9 yards per carry behind what many believed was a less than stellar offensive line. He gained 1,120 yards and 7 touchdowns, only starting 10 games and playing in 15 out of the 16 weeks. Not sure he can do it alone being more of a speed guy but the Chiefs have something special here. After Charles, they have Kolby Smith who is a restricted free agent. Todd Haley seems high on him and he has shown some flashes of a solid runner but injuries have been hampering Smith who spent most of last season on the PUP list and ended the season on injured reserve. The Chiefs will tender him a contract but they still need to either draft another all around back with some size or find someone in free agency. I think the Chiefs should seriously look at bringing in LenDale White depending on what kind of money he may want. He isnít an every down back but him and Charles would complement each other well.

FB:
Tim Castille, Mike Cox
I thought Castille performed well after signing with the team in late November. The Chiefs offense doesnít require a lot of big play from the FB position. They rushed the ball 17 times between Castille and Cox and both combined for 60 yards and 1 TD. Catching the ball out of the backfield 14 times for 116 yards and 1 TD. My guess is that Castille will be back. Not sure of Cox. Both will be on the roster for camp. I also donít see them addressing this spot in the draft or free agency.

WR:
Dwayne Bowe, Chris Chambers
I think the Chiefs might try to explore trade possibilities with Bowe and start pretty fresh at WR. His 47 receptions led the team but he still drops some easy passes. He got better as the season went on but that 4 game suspension didnít help a guy trying to step up his game. I think Bowe will end up being a good WR in the NFL. If he stays then we will be the No. 1 guy and he will have a lot to prove to the coaches and his fans. Chambers is an unrestricted free agent who will draw a lot of interest from other teams. He joined the Chiefs in November and made an immediate impact. He had two 100 yard games and had 4 TD receptions since his arrival in week 9. I would like to see the Chiefs keep him but my guessing will be with his age (31) he will want to play for a contender. Hopefully the Chiefs can be that team for him. The rest: I think that Bobby Wade will be gone as he wasnít used much in the latter part of the season and he as well as Terrence Copper are restricted free agents. Haley likes Copper but I donít see these two sticking around. Quentin Lawrence will return and get a shot in the return game but may not make it through camp. Lance Long is a slot receiver with a lot of heart and effort but not a lot of size. He will be back and battle for a roster spot in camp. The Chiefs REALLY need to address the receiver position both by draft and free agency. Maybe a guy no sooner than round 3 in the draft unless someone just jumps off the board. Free agency will really be where the Chiefs should fill this hole or by trade. Here is a short list of free agents I feel could help: Kevin Walter, Miles Austin, Brandon Marshall, Steve Breaston and Brad Smith. All but Walter are restricted free agents. They could also trade for someone like Anquan Boldin. (Most of these guys are just hopefuls.)

TE:
Leonard Pope, Brad Cottam.
Pope was pretty solid with 20 receptions in an offense where the TE isnít much of a factor in the passing game. Cottam seemed to be hitting a stride when his season came to an end being placed on injured reserve. The Chiefs will keep both and I donít see much in terms of free agency or draft at bettering the positions. Some names to watch as possible additions are Anthony Fasano and Ben Watson. Iíd love to see the Chiefs go after Owen Daniels however he is restricted and I see the Texans throwing big money at him.

OL:
Branden Albert, Ryan OíCallaghan, Mike Goff, Brian Waters, Rudy Niswanger, Wade Smith
Albert will likely be moved to either right tackle or guard depending on if the Chiefs draft a LT in the first round, which is likely. O'Callaghan is a restricted free agent and I expect him back to either start at RT or be a solid backup. Mike Goff got pushed around a lot before getting injured and something tells me he wonít be back. Brian Waters is Brian Waters. By far the best linemen we have and one of the best in the NFL. Niswanger has a ways to go before being considered a solid starter. The Chiefs may look at free agency or draft for a starter or someone to compete with him. Wade Smith isnít a starter but provides decent depth. He is an unrestricted free agent though. The Chiefs will be busy through free agency and the draft on upgrading the offensive line with depth and maybe a starter or two. There are a lot of names in free agency and Logan Mankins is a name to keep an eye on.

The Defense (the former pride of the franchise) New leader Romeo Crennel
DE:
Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, Alex Magee
All three guys are young. Dorsey played decent against the run but provided no pass rush. Keep in mind he was learning a new position. Jackson will be a starter and maybe Dorsey will benefit from a new d-line coach and having Crennel. I see the Chiefs exploring every opportunity to trade Dorsey before the draft to shed his salary and upgrade the position. They need a solid pass rusher. They will look into Julius Peppers. He will cost a bunch but he wants to play in a 3-4 and play some linebacker too. That could lure him here but the money would be the major factor and he may want to play for someone who he knows is a contender. Alex Magee may turn out to be a solid backup but I just havenít seen much that says future starter. Other ends to look at in free agency are Richard Seymour, Aaron Kampman, Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Green and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

NT:
Ron Edwards
This to me has to addressed early in free agency. Ron Edwards isnít what the Chiefs need here. My guess and strong opinion is that the Chiefs will trade for Vince Wilfork of the Patriots. He was drafted by Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel and could fill a huge (no pun intended) void for the Chiefs. Somewhere in the middle to late round of the draft the Chiefs should also pickup someone to start grooming.

OLB: Mike Vrabel, Andy Studebaker, Tamba Hali
Vrabel was a big reason why the Chiefs defense didnít struggle as much as once thought it would in the 3-4 transition. He is an unrestricted free agent and both sides seem like they want to get a deal done so I look for him to be back. He may have one more solid season left and his leadership doesnít hurt a mostly young bunch of players. Studebaker is being groomed to take over for Vrabel when he is gone and performed at a high level when given the chance last season. He might never be a pro bowler but the kid is solid. Hali was the biggest surprise in 2009. He was even called the best pass rusher they had faced by a Denver linemen. The guy has a motor that just doesnít stop. I look for him to reach at least 10 sacks this season as he gets even more comfortable with the defense. The team will add some depth at the position though through free agency. If Vrabel isnít retained they may look for a starter in FA.

ILB:
Derrick Johnson, Demarrio Williams, Corey Mays, Jevon Belcher
Resigning Johnson is a must in my eyes. The guy is a play maker and I really want to know why he wasnít used more last season. Williams was the teams leading tackler but is replaceable. Mays and Belcher are special teammers filling a role last season that was too big for them. The Chiefs need to address one of these spots if not both is Johnson doesnít come back. He was rumored to be traded before the deadline during the season. He is a restricted free agent and will be tendered a deal. They may wait and see what kind of market value he has. Some names to look at here are Karlos Dansby, Barrett Rudd, DeMeco Ryans, Kirk Morrison and DíQwell Jackson.

CB:
Brandon Flowers, Brandon Carr, Donald Washington
Flowers is one of the best young corners in the game and could elevate to one of the best period with Emmitt Thomas as the new d-backs coach and with him entering his 3rd season. Carr struggled at times last season and people seem to think the Chiefs will look to the draft to make some competiton for Carr. He as well is entering his 3rd season in the league and should improve. I think the Chiefs will draft a corner somewhere no later or sooner than the 3rd round. Washington is a nickel back at best. The Chiefs need to create depth at this position. Donít look for them to add a big name free agent here. Maybe some names off the lower ends of free agency for depth.

S:
Jon McGraw, Jarrad Page
Mike Brown is a free agent and overall played poorly and showed that he is on the down side of his career. He may be back but will compete for the job. McGraw was shaky at times and solid other times filling in. Great special teamer and great team player. Solid backup at best. Jarrad Page should be coming into his own but the jury is still out. He ended the season on injured reserve but he is a play maker. The Chiefs will look for a starter in the draft. If Tennesseeís Eric Berry is still available when the Chiefs pick at 5 then they should draft the kid who has been compared to Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu and would make an immediate impact. Some free agent names to look at would be Nick Collins and Antoine Bethea.

Special Teams:
Ryan Succop, Dustin Colquitt
Succop has to the best Mr. Irrelevant of all time, making him very relevant for a Chiefs team who has needed a solid kicker for while now. Colquitt is one of the best punters in the business. The Chiefs need help in the return game. If Charles is going to be your feature back he wonít be returning and he was the best the Chiefs had last season. Quentin Lawrence and Dantrell Savage show some flashed but havenít been consistent. Free agent Josh Cribbs would look good in the Chiefs jersey and he has ties to Crennel. It isnít likely but one can hope.

The Chiefs unrestricted free agents are S Mike Brown, WR Chris Chambers, WR Terrence Copper, TE Sean Ryan, OL Wade Smith, LB Mike Vrabel, WR Bobby Wade.

The teams restricted free agents are OL Andy Alleman, QB Brodie Croyle, QB Matt Gutierrez, LB Derrick Johnson, LB Corey Mays, OL Ikechuku Ndukwe, OL Rudy Niswanger, OL Ryan OíCallaghan, S Jarrad Page, RB Kolby Smith.

Chiefs Draft Order
Rd 1 pick 5
Rd 2 pick 4, 18
Rd 3 pick 4
Rd 4 pick 4
Rd 5 pick 5, 11, 13

Currently the Chiefs do not have a 6th or 7th round pick.

...your thoughts?

Most of the DE's you listed are 4-3 DE's, with exception of Seymour who can play DT and 34 DE.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2010, 09:26 AM
sure, if it doesn't cost any draft picks and he is a least bit reasonable about his contract demands.

Austin's ability to break tackles after the catch can really help an offense.