PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Reid derails ObamaJob2. Dems eating their young

HonestChieffan
02-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Pelosi vs the O....http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32863.html

and Good old Harry......

Reid's about-face stuns Dems, W.H.
By LISA LERER & GLENN THRUSH

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid led colleagues and the White House to believe he supported a bipartisan jobs bill — only to scuttle the plan as soon as it was released Thursday over concerns it could be used to batter Democratic incumbents, according to Senate sources.

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Mont.) and Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa) worked for weeks with Reid's blessing and frequent involvement to craft an $85 billion jobs bill, a measure that seemed destined to break the partisan logjam that has ground the Senate to a halt.

But as Baucus, Grassley and President Barack Obama were preparing to celebrate a rare moment of bipartisan Kumbaya on Thursday, Reid stunned a meeting of Senate Democrats by announcing he was scrapping Baucus-Grassley, replacing it with a much cheaper, more narrowly crafted, $15 billion version.

"Grassley and three to four Republicans would have voted for it, but all the other Republicans would have beaten the living s—t out of us [during the 2010 midterms], claiming the bill was too bloated," said a Democrat who supported Reid's decision, explaining the leader's logic.

Few felt as good about the decision: Republicans say the about-face will only add to an already poisonous partisan atmosphere, liberal Democrats think the bill is too small to do much good and the powerful negotiators of the bipartisan package were left embarrassed, demoralized and befuddled.

Aides to Baucus and Grassley said their bosses didn't know of Reid's decision when they unveiled their bill early Thursday – and expected it to have the leader's support.

"Sen. Reid's announcement sends a message that he wants to go partisan and blame Republicans," Grassley spokesperson Jill Kozeny said in a statement.

Antonia Ferrier, a spokeswoman for Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), who supported the bipartisan effort, said her boss was “deeply disappointed that the majority leader has abandoned a genuine bipartisan compromise only hours after it was unveiled in favor of business-as-usual, partisan gamesmanship.”

The White House also appeared to be caught off guard.

Moments before Reid announced his decision, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs released a statement, saying, "The draft bill released today by Sens. Baucus and Grassley includes several of the president's top priorities for job creation. [T]he president is hopeful that the draft language presented today will lead to a bipartisan Senate bill."

An unapologetic Reid told reporters Thursday that he'd made his decision before walking into the Democrats' Thursday lunch at the Capitol — a lunch that began just as the White House sent out Gibbs’s message.

"I made the decision before I came to the caucus," Reid said. "I just wanted to make sure that [members of the caucus] were supportive of what I was doing, and they are very supportive."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32878.html#ixzz0fKYZrIek

Ebolapox
02-12-2010, 08:11 AM
ROFL

stevieray
02-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Pelosi vs the O....http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/32863.html

. [T]he president is hopeful that the draft language presented today will lead to a bipartisan Senate bill."

...like calling another stimulus a jobs bill.

mlyonsd
02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
It's Bush's fault.

No, wait.

It's those damn republicans that oppose everything.

No, wait.

It's, it's, it's........

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 08:42 AM
I read it was filled with pork again.....That it would blow up in the Dems face. The Republicans wanted it because they got bought off with their own pork

From tax provisions that would have benefited Caribbean rum producers to emergency loans for Arkansas chicken farmers, the measures were similar to the legislative deals criticized as part of last year's debate over health care legislation.

petegz28
02-12-2010, 08:45 AM
I read it was filled with pork again.....That it would blow up in the Dems face. The Republicans wanted it because they got bought off with their own pork

From tax provisions that would have benefited Caribbean rum producers to emergency loans for Arkansas chicken farmers, the measures were similar to the legislative deals criticized as part of last year's debate over health care legislation.

Really???

liberal Democrats think the bill is too small to do much good

I think you had better re-read

BucEyedPea
02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Grassly....I don't like him. He's a big govt R. The Rs are just doing this for votes. Let the economy heal and get off the back of the private sector.

HonestChieffan
02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Reid kills bill...

Must be repubs fault.

This is absurd.

wild1
02-12-2010, 08:51 AM
As usual, they are only motivated by political consequences. You respect people who misguidedly think this kind of rampant spending is needed more than those types. (slightly)

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 09:13 AM
As usual, they are only motivated by political consequences. You respect people who misguidedly think this kind of rampant spending is needed more than those types. (slightly)Where was the spending outrage when Bush was proposing a $1.2 trillion give away to big pharma? Didn't even pay for it. Borrowed the money from the Chinese. oh yeah....I know where they were...voting for it. It's hypocritical for Republicans to come back now after $1.1 trillion in unfunded tax cuts and another $1.1 trillion for free medicare and say we need fisical repsonsibility. :shake:

petegz28
02-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Where was the spending outrage when Bush was proposing a $1.2 trillion give away to big pharma? Didn't even pay for it. Borrowed the money from the Chinese. oh yeah....I know where they were...voting for it. It's hypocritical for Republicans to come back now after $1.1 trillion in unfunded tax cuts and another $1.1 trillion for free medicare and say we need fisical repsonsibility. :shake:

LMAO.....you are on a roll today. Keep that finger pointing. Ohm and where was the outrage? Did you not pay attention to the last 2 elections???? ROFL

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 09:18 AM
LMAO.....you are on a roll today. Keep that finger pointing. Ohm and where was the outrage? Did you not pay attention to the last 2 elections???? ROFLHey the dems are spending like drunken sailors. but, thats what they do. Republicans are the ones screaming fiscal responsibility. Just pointing out the hypocrites.

petegz28
02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Hey the dems are spending like drunken sailors. but, thats what they do. Republicans are the ones screaming fiscal responsibility. Just pointing out the hypocrites.

Yea, so since the Repubs did it in the past they shouldn't learn from their mistakes and change what they did wrong, should they? :thumb:

stevieray
02-12-2010, 09:22 AM
BRC is obsessed with party, and which is 'worse'.

Amnorix
02-12-2010, 09:25 AM
FWIW, I note that the Democrats are never able to control their party as well as Republicans when they do get a majority. This is why I find all discussion regarding toeing the party line and staying on script and stuff pretty funny when applied to Democrats. That stuff usually doesn't last for very long at all.

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 09:27 AM
BRC is obsessed with party, and which is 'worse'.No, I just can't stand hypocrites.

petegz28
02-12-2010, 09:29 AM
No, I just can't stand hypocrites.

:LOL:

OMG, now that is rich......

Bwana
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
LMAO

Freaken clowns.

Brock
02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
No, I just can't stand hypocrites.

Yeah, democrats would never be hypocritical. good grief. :drool:

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah, democrats would never be hypocritical. good grief. :drool:who said they wern't also hypocrites?

wild1
02-12-2010, 09:41 AM
It's hypocritical for Republicans to come back now after $1.1 trillion in unfunded tax cuts

So what? If something was stupid in the past, and you realize that and change your direction, I suppose it does make you "hypocritical", but it also means you are doing the right thing.

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 09:45 AM
So what? If something was stupid in the past, and you realize that and change your direction, I suppose it does make you "hypocritical", but it also means you are doing the right thing.That is true also.

Brock
02-12-2010, 10:14 AM
who said they wern't also hypocrites?

Well, when you spend all your time bitching about one side of the argument, and your reasoning is "They're hypocrites".......

fan4ever
02-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Thats' a good sign...politicians actually concerned about earmarks and pork...we're headed on the right path...

vailpass
02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Quite a show obama and his crew are running. Does the theme music from Benny Hill play in the White House these days?

wild1
02-12-2010, 12:21 PM
actually, i would like to object on every level to the first bill being called anything related to "Jobs"

wild1
02-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Quite a show obama and his crew are running. Does the theme music from Benny Hill play in the White House these days?

They should get Robert Glib a laugh track, I know that.

patteeu
02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Where was the spending outrage when Bush was proposing a $1.2 trillion give away to big pharma? Didn't even pay for it. Borrowed the money from the Chinese. oh yeah....I know where they were...voting for it.

The outrage was loud and clear among democrats who wanted to spend EVEN MORE than that. Spending isn't an issue that you and your democrats have the high ground on.

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
The outrage was loud and clear among democrats who wanted to spend EVEN MORE than that. Spending isn't an issue that you and your democrats have the high ground on.Who says they do? The Republicans say they do but they lost that due to the Bush years. Bunch of hypocrites.

patteeu
02-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Who says they do? The Republicans say they do but they lost that due to the Bush years. Bunch of hypocrites.

The democrats demonstrated it by pushing for even greater spending during the Bush years and then actually implementing even greater spending when the White House changed hands. There's no room for argument here, the democrat party is the party of big spending and the Republicans are penny pinchers by comparison.

Velvet_Jones
02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Where was the spending outrage when Bush was proposing a $1.2 trillion give away to big pharma? Didn't even pay for it. Borrowed the money from the Chinese. oh yeah....I know where they were...voting for it. It's hypocritical for Republicans to come back now after $1.1 trillion in unfunded tax cuts and another $1.1 trillion for free medicare and say we need fisical repsonsibility. :shake:

Dude - where were you at in 2007 and 2008? You apparently weren't on CP. Is it just me or is BRC getting stupider by the minute?

BigRedChief
02-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Dude - where were you at in 2007 and 2008? You apparently weren't on CP. Is it just me or is BRC getting stupider by the minute?Name calling is the last resort of a limited mind.

Velvet_Jones
02-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Absolute incomprehensible typing with many - many spelling errors.

Dude, you need to go find a different party to support. May I suggest the candyland fairy party. When you find that party, please put it in a museum right between the Unicorn and the hooker that doesn't do crack.

Velvet_Jones
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Name calling is the last resort of a limited mind.

Where did I call you a name? Stupider isn't a title its a description.

wild1
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Dude - where were you at in 2007 and 2008? You apparently weren't on CP. Is it just me or is BRC getting stupider by the minute?

On a sinking ship some people head for the lifeboats, and some people just hold on tighter.

patteeu
02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
On a sinking ship some people head for the lifeboats, and some people just hold on tighter.

In that case, someone needs a name change to BigWhiteKnucklesChief.

mlyonsd
02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Where did I call you a name? Stupider isn't a title its a description.

I don't think it's even a word. :p

wazu
02-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Right here. There was plenty of outrage, still is. For me it was more of a slap in the face than when Obama does the same thing. At least with Obama he flat out promised on the campaign trail he would drive us into the worst deficits in our nation's history by throwing trillions of tax dollars at garbage programs. Kind of tough to complain now that he's delivering progress as promised.

Bush tarnished the Republican brand to make it appear that there is no real alternative. Fortunately it appears that people are finally cooling off and realizing that every Republican isn't a GW Bush clone.

Saul Good
02-12-2010, 09:16 PM

Rush Limbaugh castigated Bush daily in front of an audience of 10,000,000 when the prescription drug bill was being passed. He absolutely blasted him over and over and over. Care to give kudos to Rush on this one?