PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports ***Winter Olympics Thread***

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

alnorth
02-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I just wanted to take this time to again say that NBC blows.

The sad thing is that NBC is blowing out all the ratings records for the winter olympics, so there's no incentive for them or anyone else to do anything different. Never mind that we are held hostage and have no choice anyway.

At least with ABC/ESPN's half-dozen networks though, we might see everything live if they win the bidding for 2014/2016

alnorth
02-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Hows Canada doing in hockey?

Canada is up 2-0 in the 2nd period

Mecca
02-26-2010, 09:49 PM
NBC thinks women in spandex and Lindsey Vonn shots will get ratings...hrm maybe they're right.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
B final for the men's relay coming soon. If they dont go live for the A final, then NBC is literally retarded.

Chocolate Hog
02-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Canada is up 2-0 in the 2nd period

Fuck we won't beat them again.

WoodDraw
02-26-2010, 09:51 PM
The sad thing is that NBC is blowing out all the ratings records for the winter olympics, so there's no incentive for them or anyone else to do anything different. Never mind that we are held hostage and have no choice anyway.

At least with ABC/ESPN's half-dozen networks though, we might see everything live if they win the bidding for 2014/2016

Sports networks no less. There's a huge difference between showing shit on CNBC and MSNBC and showing it on ESPN's networks. They have a much bigger incentive to rationally promote and distribute programming across there networks while all NBC cares about is selling commercials during prime time.

ESPN is broadcasting the Wold Cup this summer and going all out. A lot of people think its the beginning of there push to own the big sports markets. I hope to god they succeed as they'll do a much better job.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Are they even going to show the relay? The B final is about to start.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Wait...a German won, why are they showing people this?

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Oh, I see. She's Vonn's friend.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 09:55 PM
oh wow, I just looked at the start list. Some team must have been advanced, the men's relay final is going to have 5 teams on the ice. That is utterly crazy, 20 short track skaters in the oval. If no one crashes out it will be a freaking miracle.

kstater
02-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Sports networks no less. There's a huge difference between showing shit on CNBC and MSNBC and showing it on ESPN's networks. They have a much bigger incentive to rationally promote and distribute programming across there networks while all NBC cares about is selling commercials during prime time.

ESPN is broadcasting the Wold Cup this summer and going all out. A lot of people think its the beginning of there push to own the big sports markets. I hope to god they succeed as they'll do a much better job.

:spock:

You're kidding yourself if Disney wouldn't do the same thing, or if you think NBC doesn't know who their target is. Here's a hint. It's not sports nuts.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 09:58 PM
oh gee thanks, NBC.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 09:59 PM
lol, now they show it.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:00 PM
The B final is concluding right now. I wonder if they'll finish this in time to go live to the A final. I somehow doubt it.

kstater
02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of how the relays are run. Run a fuggin relay. Not have 4 people tag in more than once over X laps. Have each person run X laps then be done.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of how the relays are run. Run a fuggin relay. Not have 4 people tag in more than once over X laps. Have each person run X laps then be done.
They should make long track skaters have a relay like that (with a baton).

WoodDraw
02-26-2010, 10:05 PM
:spock:

You're kidding yourself if Disney wouldn't do the same thing, or if you think NBC doesn't know who their target is. Here's a hint. It's not sports nuts.

You think NBC doesn't have a different target than ABC/ESPN? If so, you're wrong. ESPN wants to build a brand. I absolutely think they'll do it different.

kstater
02-26-2010, 10:07 PM
You think NBC doesn't have a different target than ABC/ESPN? If so, you're wrong. ESPN wants to build a brand. I absolutely think they'll do it different.

I can guarantee you they have the same target audience. You seem to think the 2 million viewers ESPN draws in will have an impact.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm gonna say Korea, Canada, US....

Canada won this thing in 2002, but Korea is way stronger now.

KC_Connection
BTW, they aren't showing this live, but I won't spoil it. It's just begun.

alnorth
This is sad. NBC failed to get back in time, this race has already started

alnorth
02-26-2010, 10:09 PM
BTW, they aren't showing this live, but I won't spoil it. It's just begun.

ditto, im gonna start ignoring my browser

WoodDraw
02-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I can guarantee you they have the same target audience.

I completely disagree.

For the world cup, ESPN/ABC are airing 64 live/HD soccer games. And that means 45 minute+ segments at a time without commercials.

ESPN would make the entire Olympics a day long affair. Constant live coverage, updates, interview, etc. For NBC, they don't have that market. People have ESPN on all day long; only bankers and liberals have CNBC and MSNBC on all day.

I'd bet money on them killing NBC on the broadcast.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:17 PM
GOLD

I was wrong. Awesome.

KC_Connection
Take that Koreans.

FAX
Okay. That was crazy.

FAX

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Fuck Jay Leno. Fuck NBC.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Since USA is guaranteed a medal in Hockey and the men's speed skating pursuit tomorrow, the USA has clinched a tie for the most medals ever won by any country in winter olympic history. (Germany, 2002) We need to find another medal somewhere else to break the record.

kstater
02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I completely disagree.

For the world cup, ESPN/ABC are airing 64 live/HD soccer games. And that means 45 minute+ segments at a time without commercials.

ESPN would make the entire Olympics a day long affair. Constant live coverage, updates, interview, etc. For NBC, they don't have that market. People have ESPN on all day long; only bankers and liberals have CNBC and MSNC on all day.

I'd bet money on them killing NBC on the broadcast.

They can show 24 hours a day. But the money has always been and will always be in primetime.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2010, 10:23 PM
the USA has clinched a tie for the most medals ever won by any country in winter olympic history.

Thats not really fair is it? Seems like there are alot more events now, than 20-30 years ago?

kstater
Since USA is guaranteed a medal in Hockey and the men's speed skating pursuit tomorrow, the USA has clinched a tie for the most medals ever won by any country in winter olympic history. (Germany, 2002) We need to find another medal somewhere else to break the record.

As of the 1st run*, bobsled has the potential.

*I'm not looking at results, watching it delayed.

KC_Connection
Still 3-0.

kstater
02-26-2010, 10:24 PM
USA 2 goes down..

alnorth
02-26-2010, 10:25 PM
They can show 24 hours a day. But the money has always been and will always be in primetime.

thats fine. No one is upset that they dont show live on NBC, its that they didnt show live anywhere at all. If they want to have a pre-packaged fluff show on ABC fine, but they can and will show everything live on ESPN's eleventy billion channels.

WoodDraw

Sure, whatever. ABC would show hilights and the big stuff during primetime. My point is that having ESPN in would cover the Olympics as spots, not a reality show. ESPN wouldn't spend the entire day pretending that certain races hadn't already taken place, I guarantee. And that's all I expect.

Make your money in primetime, but don't ruin the product.

FAX
I guess I was under the impression that we were better at speed skating than we demonstrated.

I know we won a bunch of medals, but there are quite a few areas in which we need improvement. Our downhillers are marginal, our curlers suck ass, and our skaters are getting their butts kicked by countries that don't even get cold. The US Olympic committee needs to get it in gear.

FAX

WoodDraw
02-26-2010, 10:26 PM
thats fine. No one is upset that they dont show live on NBC, its that they didnt show live anywhere at all. If they want to have a pre-packaged fluff show on ABC fine, but they can and will show everything live on ESPN's eleventy billion channels.

Rep for being in before me. Well said.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Slovaks scored...not over.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I'd like to try bobsledding.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 10:32 PM
As of the 1st run*, bobsled has the potential.

*I'm not looking at results, watching it delayed.

yep. bobsled is our big chance to get that last medal to break Germany's 36-medal record. If USA #1 crashes out tomorrow in the 4-man bobsled then our other chances to break the winter olympic medal record would be Bode in the men's slalom, or the USA in the women's speed skating pursuit tomorrow.

Given how unpredictable the slalom is, our 2nd-best chance will probably be the pursuit, the USA women are in the semis so they will have 2 races and only need to win one of them to get some sort of medal. They were supposedly not expected to win a medal at all (ranked #9 in the world in the event), but they just took out the heavily-favored Canadians earlier today in the quarters, so the experts might not really know how good the USA women actually are.

We wont win anything in whats left of x-country, curling, or snowboarding.

WoodDraw
02-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I'd like to try bobsledding.

I remember "sledding" (I don't know what it's called - flying down a track on a big tube) in Winter Park and freaking out. I was young, so I think my memory has exaggerated the fear. But I remember praying hard that the sled had some type of parachute ability.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
I guess I was under the impression that we were better at speed skating than we demonstrated.

I know we won a bunch of medals, but there are quite a few areas in which we need improvement. Our downhillers are marginal, our curlers suck ass, and our skaters are getting their butts kicked by countries that don't even get cold. The US Olympic committee needs to get it in gear.

FAX

There's no shame in getting fewer short track medals than Korea. They are so much better than all other nations, its not even funny. It is almost like a generation ago they had a big national meeting to pick 1 sport, decided it would be short track in the winter olympics, and they direct all their best athletes at that sport.

The USA is good at it just because of our sheer size and enormous focus on athletics. (and most of us dont live in mountains like in Europe) Think about it, some nations are basically all soccer and nothing else, the USA is probably more focused on general athletics per capita than almost any other nation, and the population size takes care of the rest.

Korea is just the world's short track skating factory. We are only good at short track because of the odds, at some point with our culture and size we'll just happen to produce a couple good ones every few years.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Holy shit. I just finished watching the game online. How did Demitra miss?

WoodDraw
02-26-2010, 10:43 PM
So is NBC going to show the USA v. Canada game, or should we contact our local cable provider to request CNBC The Ocho?

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I remember "sledding" (I don't know what it's called - flying down a track on a big tube) in Winter Park and freaking out. I was young, so I think my memory has exaggerated the fear. But I remember praying hard that the sled had some type of parachute ability.
I don't know what Winter Park is, but I do know what sledding is. Going down hills was pretty fun as a kid.

WoodDraw
02-26-2010, 10:46 PM
I don't know what Winter Park is, but I do know what sledding is. Going down hills was pretty fun as a kid.

It's a town in Colorado.

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:49 PM

FAX

Koreans and Canadians always dominate men's short track, and China always dominates in the women's.

As for alpine skiing, didn't the U.S. get a ton of medals in those events?

KC_Connection
02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
It's a town in Colorado.
That would make sense.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Koreans and Canadians always dominate men's short track, and China always dominates in the women's.

Yeah, we are very close to winning more medals than any other nation in any other winter olympics in history. (though admittedly with a few more events now) I'd love to see us win gold in everything, but I dont see that we need all that much improvement. I'm just hoping we dont collapse back into the teens in Russia 4 years from now.

in other news, the rest of the world will probably continue to only look at the gold medal leaderboard, since we very likely wont beat Canada in that category. On the other hand, we absolutely dominated in silver and bronze, for whatever thats worth.

Silock
02-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, we are very close to winning more medals than any other nation in any other winter olympics in history. (though admittedly with a few more events now) I'd love to see us win gold in everything, but I dont see that we need all that much improvement. I'm just hoping we dont collapse back into the teens in Russia 4 years from now.

in other news, the rest of the world will probably continue to only look at the gold medal leaderboard, since we very likely wont beat Canada in that category. On the other hand, we absolutely dominated in silver and bronze, for whatever thats worth.

IMO, it's more telling of your country's athletes that you can place more people in the top 3 than simply having the highest number of 1st place finishers.

Chocolate Hog
02-26-2010, 11:33 PM
Anyway America can beat Canada?

Der Flöprer
02-26-2010, 11:34 PM
IMO, it's more telling of your country's athletes that you can place more people in the top 3 than simply having the highest number of 1st place finishers.

Absolutely. Total medal count is the only thing that matters to me. Gold medals are just icing on the cake.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Absolutely. Total medal count is the only thing that matters to me. Gold medals are just icing on the cake.

At the very least, if people are obsessed with gold, I'd like to use the old 5-3-1 weighting scheme. Under that method, Germany is still close behind, but Canada is pretty far back (though not the >50% difference like in the medal count)

alnorth
02-26-2010, 11:44 PM
haha, sucks to be in California. I just read that the west coast will get the gold-medal hockey match tape-delayed 3 hours. East and Central will get it live.

Der Flöprer
02-26-2010, 11:46 PM
haha, sucks to be in California. I just read that the west coast will get the gold-medal hockey match tape-delayed 3 hours. East and Central will get it live.

Sigh. No surprise here at all. Again a resounding FUCK YOU to NBC.

alnorth
02-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Sigh. No surprise here at all. Again a resounding **** YOU to NBC.

dont worry, I'm sure that people in California have other reasons for living there to balance out the loss of live olympic action. Low cost of living, no gangs, low taxes, a state government that isn't completely f***ing nuts, plenty of rain, no natural disasters...

Der Flöprer
02-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Fuck yeah! I have no idea who wins this so it's great. I just assume it's tape delayed.

Der Flöprer
02-26-2010, 11:51 PM
dont worry, I'm sure that people in California have other reasons for living there to balance out the loss of live olympic action. Low cost of living, no gangs, low taxes, a state government that isn't completely f***ing nuts, plenty of rain, no natural disasters...

I live in Seattle myself. Although strangely enough, the similarities to California are uncanny. :p

DaFace
02-26-2010, 11:57 PM

Well, yeah. They kinda did it less than a week ago.

Chocolate Hog
02-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, yeah. They kinda did it less than a week ago.

Canada owned that game and America was lucky to win. No way America wins like that again.

DaFace
02-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Canada owned that game and America was lucky to win. No way America wins like that again.

:shake:

Chocolate Hog
02-27-2010, 12:03 AM
:shake:

You think Canada in the gold medal game in Canada will give up 5 goals again?

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 12:05 AM
It's a hockey game, so yeah.

DaFace
02-27-2010, 12:05 AM
You think Canada in the gold medal game in Canada will give up 5 goals again?

No. Canada is clearly the favorite. However, that by no means indicates that the Americans don't have a chance. I'd get into all the reasons why the US deserved to win the other game, but it's bedtime.

tk13
02-27-2010, 12:12 AM
They said 15 million times during the US Finland match that the gold medal match will be live coast to coast. But maybe that's changed.

I think the US can win. It certainly won't be easy... but this is not a fluke. This US team has played tremendous, tremendous defense this entire tournament. And they have a goalie that can dominate. Canada has so much firepower... but the US has a good formula to steal it away.

FAX
02-27-2010, 12:34 AM

You guys will have to check me on this, but isn't it true that, historically, we seem to do very well in some events and very poorly in others? Let's look at the men ...

For example, guys like Heiden and McDermott before him almost created a tradition of excellence in US speed skating that have brought dudes like Dan Jansen, Cheek and (more recently) Davis and Ohno, who have competed well, into the sport. It's a sport in which we have been reasonably competitive on a consistent basis.

In bobsledding, though, until the Salt Lake games, we hadn't been a factor for probably 50 years or more. And, we're even worse in the 2-man.

In alpine events, we're talking guys like Kidd and the Mahre brothers and (nowadays) Bode Miller. Other than that, just a few other Americans have ever even medaled (sp?) at the games. Ever.

We won't even talk about curling. One medal (bronze) in the history of the sport. That's it.

My point is that we seem to do much better in the summer games ... track & field, swimming, etc. than we do in the winter games. I don't think it's about geography as much as it is about the Olympic committee doing a good job of promoting these particular sports, encouraging participation at the college level, and recruiting talent for them. It's not that we "can't" do it. It's that we "don't" do it.

FAX

Guru
02-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Did Ohno win tonight?

also, will NBC put the hockey game on NBC rather than MSNBC or USA?

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 02:29 AM
Did Ohno win tonight?

also, will NBC put the hockey game on NBC rather than MSNBC or USA?

No. And of course.

FAX
02-27-2010, 03:04 AM
Ohno was disqualified by a Canadian judge after nudging another circle skater (a Korean, I think) and causing him to fall on his ass in a tremendously violent, spectacular, head-over-anus ice-slide, Mr. Guru. Close call. The Korean lived, but Ohno got the hook. He was in last place on the last lap, anyhow.

I think NBC is planning on pre-empting the hockey game in favor of a two-hour introspective into the life of a professional wrestler turned male model. Their plan is to sell a crapload of detergent and deodorant that keeps you sunshiney fresh all day long.

FAX

Guru
02-27-2010, 03:14 AM
Ohno was disqualified by a Canadian judge after nudging another circle skater (a Korean, I think) and causing him to fall on his ass in a tremendously violent, spectacular, head-over-anus ice-slide, Mr. Guru. Close call. The Korean lived, but Ohno got the hook. He was in last place on the last lap, anyhow.

I think NBC is planning on pre-empting the hockey game in favor of a two-hour introspective into the life of a professional wrestler turned male model. Their plan is to sell a crapload of detergent and deodorant that keeps you sunshiney fresh all day long.

FAXYeah, I just watched it myself. too bad really.

NBC had better air that game. what time is it on?

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:51 AM
Yeah, I just watched it myself. too bad really.

NBC had better air that game. what time is it on?

I'm not sure, exactly, Mr. Guru. The schedule on the NBC site says 12:15 pm on Sunday, the 28th. I don't know if that's Eastern time, Pacific time, or Central time or Jupiter time or Black Hole Event Horizon time which would make it real darn convenient on account of the fact that at the Event Horizon of a Black Hole time completely stops so it's always 12:15 pm on Sunday and 12:15 on Monday and every other time of the day on every other day throughout all history and throughout all future simultaneously including all possible alternate dimension times although some people believe that there is no such a thing as time as we know it at the Event Horizon of a Black Hole and prefer to think that time no longer exists there in any form or fashion and is, instead, a serving of Bananas Foster or, perhaps, Einstein's lost car keys but that shouldn't prevent NBC from screwing up the schedule and broadcasting ice dancing live during the hockey game and showing the actual game later as a prime time, taped event except for viewers on the West Coast who will see your regularly scheduled programming contact your local station for details.

FAX

Guru
02-27-2010, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure, exactly, Mr. Guru. The schedule on the NBC site says 12:15 pm on Sunday, the 28th. I don't know if that's Eastern time, Pacific time, or Central time or Jupiter time or Black Hole Event Horizon time which would make it real darn convenient on account of the fact that at the Event Horizon of a Black Hole time completely stops so it's always 12:15 pm on Sunday and 12:15 on Monday and every other time of the day on every other day throughout all history and throughout all future simultaneously including all possible alternate dimension times although some people believe that there is no such a thing as time as we know it at the Event Horizon of a Black Hole and prefer to think that time no longer exists there in any form or fashion and is, instead, a serving of Bananas Foster or, perhaps, Einstein's lost car keys but that shouldn't prevent NBC from screwing up the schedule and broadcasting ice dancing live during the hockey game and showing the actual game later as a prime time, taped event except for viewers on the West Coast who will see your regularly scheduled programming contact your local station for details.

FAXLMAO
Guess it doesn't matter for me then if that is the time. I'll be at the circus with my kids. Go USA!

FAX
02-27-2010, 06:11 AM
I hope you enjoy the circus, Mr. Guru.

The last time I went to the circus, I must admit that I was sorely disappointed. The elephants were elderly, the lions mangy, and the clowns were all just kinda ... stupid, sort of. I think that maybe television has ruined the circus. Whereas normally, the trapeze chick is a glorious and elegant specimen of perfect beauty and grace, this old gal was kind of skanky. I felt like the trapeze dudes were actually kind of embarrassed of her and, at one point during the performance, I half expected them to drop her on her head.

Maybe you'll have a better circus, though. I hope there's a good sideshow with a two-headed calf and an ape-man. I once saw an ape-man who was pretty darn scary the way he scratched his nuts and all. Anyway, good luck.

FAX

Guru
02-27-2010, 06:14 AM
I hope you enjoy the circus, Mr. Guru.

The last time I went to the circus, I must admit that I was sorely disappointed. The elephants were elderly, the lions mangy, and the clowns were all just kinda ... stupid, sort of. I think that maybe television has ruined the circus. Whereas normally, the trapeze chick is a glorious and elegant specimen of perfect beauty and grace, this old gal was kind of skanky. I felt like the trapeze dudes were actually kind of embarrassed of her and, at one point during the performance, I half expected them to drop her on her head.

Maybe you'll have a better circus, though. I hope there's a good sideshow with a two-headed calf and an ape-man. I once saw an ape-man who was pretty darn scary the way he scratched his nuts and all. Anyway, good luck.

FAXI just hope getting tickets in the 4th row center does not work against me.

FAX
02-27-2010, 06:19 AM
I'm sure it will be great, Mr. Guru. The circus I went to was probably just a bad one.

Let us know how it went, though. As one who, as a lad, almost ran off to join the circus (and would have if I hadn't gotten hungry about a mile from the house), I'm always interested in circus tales.

FAX

Guru
02-27-2010, 06:22 AM
I'm sure it will be great, Mr. Guru. The circus I went to was probably just a bad one.

Let us know how it went, though. As one who, as a lad, almost ran off to join the circus (and would have if I hadn't gotten hungry about a mile from the house), I'm always interested in circus tales.

FAXI'll be sure to report back in this Olympic thread too. :D

MahiMike
02-27-2010, 09:34 AM

I am. I hate how they only show 5 skiers in an event that has 50. They should let CNBC be the all-day live and still show synopsis (totally U.S. slanted of course) in prime time NBC.

FAX
02-27-2010, 10:07 AM
I am. I hate how they only show 5 skiers in an event that has 50. They should let CNBC be the all-day live and still show synopsis (totally U.S. slanted of course) in prime time NBC.

Exactly so. That's the way to do it. This year's broadcast caught its ski of intelligence on the gate of entertainment, flipped over the mogul of interest, and crashed headlong down the snowy hill of ineptitude.

FAX

JD10367
02-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I offer to console the 42-year-old Canadian skip by f**king her repeatedly.

Just sayin'. I'm a carer like that.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
yep. bobsled is our big chance to get that last medal to break Germany's 36-medal record. If USA #1 crashes out tomorrow in the 4-man bobsled then our other chances to break the winter olympic medal record would be Bode in the men's slalom, or the USA in the women's speed skating pursuit tomorrow.

Given how unpredictable the slalom is, our 2nd-best chance will probably be the pursuit, the USA women are in the semis so they will have 2 races and only need to win one of them to get some sort of medal. They were supposedly not expected to win a medal at all (ranked #9 in the world in the event), but they just took out the heavily-favored Canadians earlier today in the quarters, so the experts might not really know how good the USA women actually are.

We wont win anything in whats left of x-country, curling, or snowboarding.

We can now scratch Bode off this list, he failed to finish in the Slalom. We'll need a medal in either bobsled or the women's speed-skating pursuit to break the winter olympic medal record.

Der Flöprer
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Ohno got screwed by the Canadian judges last night. It was clear that the other Canadian had his hand on the Korean's back and he fell too. But Ohno was the only one disqualified? Bullshit.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Ohno got screwed by the Canadian judges last night. It was clear that the other Canadian had his hand on the Korean's back and he fell too. But Ohno was the only one disqualified? Bullshit.

well, all I'll say is that home field advantage in the olympics is worth something. The judges might try to be impartial, but if the fans are screaming for you to give a break to the home team, and you have only a few seconds to decide something, you might sub-consiously do so. USA had their best winter olympics ever (before Vancouver) at Salt Lake City. I dont think that was just a crazy coincidence or familiarity with the home courses.

Der Flöprer
02-27-2010, 01:52 PM
well, all I'll say is that home field advantage in the olympics is worth something. The judges might try to be impartial, but if the fans are screaming for you to give a break to the home team, and you have only a few seconds to decide something, you might sub-consiously do so. USA had their best winter olympics ever (before Vancouver) at Salt Lake City. I dont think that was just a crazy coincidence or familiarity with the home courses.

I haven't watched all of the olympics, or even half of them honestly. But everything I've seen and read would indicate that the judges are doing a fine job. I just think they really dropped the ball last night. And it happened to be against a home town boy that I root for pretty voraciously. Them's the breaks.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 02:04 PM
half hour till the women's pursuit semifinals. Germany is favored to win the gold medal (so obviously favored to beat USA in this semifinal), but they could clinch a medal if they somehow take out Germany.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM
game on, USA women race for medal contention soon.

JD10367
02-27-2010, 02:31 PM
The Japanese speedskaters' outfits are so tight they have shiny gold cameltoes. WIN.

kstater
02-27-2010, 02:40 PM
German Struggling.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 02:41 PM
well, Germany tried to blow the race, but our 3rd skater just ran out of energy and couldn't keep up.

FAX
02-27-2010, 02:41 PM
What the hell was that?

FAX

kstater
02-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Mens final in the pursuit in 10 minutes.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Mens final in the pursuit in 10 minutes.

USA vs Canada for gold and silver

JD10367
02-27-2010, 02:45 PM
German Struggling.

"I don't care about the Germans stru-gul-ling..."

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/football/_photos/2004-10-15-inside-namath-ko.jpg

So, did anyone else find the German chick sliding across the finish line in that tight outfit incredibly hot? Or was it just me? I don't have much of a rubber/latex fetish, but that image of her spreadeagled on the ice in that outfit made me want to find a pair of scissors just big enough to cut a hole in her suit so I could lie on top of her and... um... uh, gotta go take care of something, BRB...

kstater
02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
I presume they are changing skis to get some with fresh wax?

Sully
02-27-2010, 03:48 PM

What?

JD10367
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Good thing NBC is showing more stupid interviews, don't miss much while watching tsunami non-coverage...

alnorth
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
They are running the B final for the men's pursuit now. I assume they will come back for USA/Canada

hah, Netherlands wins bronze with an olympic record. Good thing they had a horrible off-day yesterday against the USA

FAX
02-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Independence Day is on. The last part where they fly off in the alien spaceship to the mothership to plant the virus and shoot off their bomb.

FAX

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
So much for that. These drooling retards running NBC are not covering the USA/Canada gold medal race live

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
So much for that. These drooling retards running NBC are not covering the USA/Canada gold medal race live

You're joking, right?

FAX

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Who are these old people they're interviewing? They seem nice and all, but I don't think they can skate very fast.

FAX

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:04 PM
and its a final. Canada led wire-to-wire to win gold, but according to the splits it looks like the US team inched close enough to make it interesting on the last lap.

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:05 PM
How did you find all that out?

Dang!! I knew it!! There's a secret channel only a select few know about.

FAX

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Another gold.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
women's B final coming up, USA women will race Poland for the bronze. Might be tough because Poland skated almost a full second faster than the USA in the semifinals.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:08 PM
How did you find all that out?

Dang!! I knew it!! There's a secret channel only a select few know about.

FAX

I couldn't see it. nbcolympics.com posts the splits live as the race is going on.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Reading posts from Canadians who saw it that it was apparently a crazy exciting race. It woulda been swell if you could have showed it live, NBC. Save this 9/11 patriotic happy crap for after the live events.

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Another gold for Canada in snowboarding slalom.

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Reading posts from Canadians who saw it that it was apparently a crazy exciting race. It woulda been swell if you could have showed it live, NBC. Save this 9/11 patriotic happy crap for after the live events.
Pretty close at the end, yeah. Both teams were getting tired.

JD10367
02-27-2010, 04:16 PM
I hope all of this natural disaster DOES indicate the impending Rapture, and I want it to take the form of a 1000-foot-tall burning antifreeze-covered AIDS tree from God that comes crashing down and takes out NBC just as Jay Leno is driving into the parking lot.

Maybe a limb could also nail Tiger Woods and some Toyota execs. kthxbye

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:16 PM
women's B final coming up, USA women will race Poland for the bronze. Might be tough because Poland skated almost a full second faster than the USA in the semifinals.

I can't believe they're not showing any of this. It's all tsunami all the time.

Except for the main NBC channel. I'm not sure what that program is, but it's not sports.

FAX

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:20 PM
And the USA women fail to win either race, finishing 4th.

They jumped out into the lead, Poland briefly led a lap, then the US retook the lead and built it up to about 3/4 second. Unfortunately, something happened in the final lap. Either someone fell, or one of the 3 skaters just ran out of energy and died out there, finishing a full 1.5 seconds back.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:25 PM
something crazy must have happened in the gold medal race, too. Japan had a 3/4 second lead with a half-lap remaining and lost to Germany.

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the updates, Mr. alnorth. You're doing a great service, but it's a shame that NBC has completely abandoned their Olympics programming. They're probably out looking for condoms.

FAX

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:32 PM
I seriously doubt it will be covered live, but the last run of 4-man bobsled begins in about 10 minutes. The USA #1 sled goes last out of 20 teams, so they probably wouldnt go for a half hour or so at least. This would be our last chance to break the winter olympic medal record.

They have a dominating half-second lead over Canada #1 (full second over the 4th-place Germany #2 team to stay in medal position), so they should win unless they crash.

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Dang. I like the bobsledding. I'll never forgive these bastards if they don't show it. In fact, I'll never forgive them anyhow. In fact, I'm going to put a curse on them this afternoon. I shall bring tsunami down on their ass.

FAX

KingPriest2
02-27-2010, 04:38 PM
I seriously doubt it will be covered live, but the last run of 4-man bobsled begins in about 10 minutes. The USA #1 sled goes last out of 20 teams, so they probably wouldnt go for a half hour or so at least. This would be our last chance to break the winter olympic medal record.

They have a dominating half-second lead over Canada #1 (full second over the 4th-place Germany #2 team to stay in medal position), so they should win unless they crash.

We already have 35 Tomorrow in the hockey will be 36 Do we have any more medal hopefuls?

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:41 PM
We already have 35 Tomorrow in the hockey will be 36 Do we have any more medal hopefuls?

no. We collected our guaranteed men's pursuit medal a bit ago. Our only other hopefuls were the women's pursuit (4th) and Bode in the Slalom (DNF his first run)

We have guaranteed a tie of the record, the bobsled needs to medal to get us to 37.

JD10367
02-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks to NBC sucking colossal balls, I think I'll skip watching the "highlights" of things I could've watched live if they'd only bothered to f**king show it.

Retro TV: 8pm is Erin Gray rockin' the skintight bodysuit on "Buck Rogers", 9pm is "Battlestar Galactica".

F**k you, NBC.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:44 PM
gotta watch this race, I wanna see how Japan lost the gold with a half lap left and a big lead.

FAX
02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
They're showing circle skating now. Is this the race you're referring to, Mr. alnorth?

FAX

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:49 PM
wow. Japan didnt really do anything wrong, Apparently Germany was just playing dead and blew out that last lap.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Apparently NBC changed their plans. They will show the gold medal hockey game live on the west coast after all.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Canada is on the track to solidify silver now. USA will go shortly to (hopefully) claim gold.

edit: Canada had a bad run, they slip to bronze medal position.

alnorth
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
and its official, USA wins gold in 4-man bobsled for the first time in over 60 years. Germany silver, Canada bronze.

USA will finish these olympics with 37 medals, breaking the winter olympic medal record (36, Germany, Salt Lake City)

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Canada is on the track to solidify silver now. USA will go shortly to (hopefully) claim gold.

edit: Canada had a bad run, they slip to bronze medal position.

That wasn't a bad run, we actually beat Holcomb there. Lange just destroyed everyone on the last run and moved up to 2nd.

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Canada at 12 golds now. The record is 13 by Norway in 2002.

FAX
02-27-2010, 05:44 PM
and its official, USA wins gold in 4-man bobsled for the first time in over 60 years. Germany silver, Canada bronze.

USA will finish these olympics with 37 medals, breaking the winter olympic medal record (36, Germany, Salt Lake City)

That's pretty darn awesome. 60 years is a long time. Good for us. I take back all that stuff I said about our Olympic committee (except for the part about our Curling team). Apparently, they're doing a good job.

FAX

chiefqueen
02-27-2010, 05:54 PM
The bobsledding medal means USA will eclipse Germany's record of 36 medals at 2002 Olympics.

JD10367
02-27-2010, 06:00 PM
The bobsledding medal means USA will eclipse Germany's record of 36 medals at 2002 Olympics.

Or, this can be read as, "Either I have alnorth on Ignore, or I'm too lazy to scroll up four posts". :D

Over-Head
02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Man Canada's cleaning up on the gold towards the end of these games
we got 12.
14 makes a record for host Country :thumb:

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Man Canada's cleaning up on the gold towards the end of these games
we got 12.
14 makes a record for host Country :thumb:

Pretty sure 12 is already a record for a host country. 14 would be a record for most golds by a country in the Winter Olympics.

KC_Connection
02-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Gold in curling, Canada didn't lose once in that. #13.

The_Doctor10
02-27-2010, 07:43 PM
13 Gold. Look out tomorrow, America!

niblet
02-27-2010, 07:44 PM
13 Gold. Look out tomorrow, America!

You know you're getting nuked if you win, right?

The_Doctor10
02-27-2010, 07:50 PM
You know you're getting nuked if you win, right?

We beat you on home turf and the bombs didn't fall. But if they do... WORTH IT :D

tk13
02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Apparently NBC changed their plans. They will show the gold medal hockey game live on the west coast after all.

I don't know where that got carried off the rumor rails, but they said several times during the semifinals that the championship game would be live in all time zones.

Over-Head
02-27-2010, 07:54 PM
I dont like Hockey at all, but damn I do hope our Canuck boy's do it :clap:

Ebolapox
02-27-2010, 07:59 PM
I dont like Hockey at all...

are you SURE you're canadian?

big nasty kcnut
02-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Fear the night train.

chiefsfan987
02-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't know where that got carried off the rumor rails, but they said several times during the semifinals that the championship game would be live in all time zones.

well, considering nothing else on NBC has been live out here on the west coast I'm not suprised people assumed that too would be tape delayed.

Over-Head
02-28-2010, 08:38 AM
are you SURE you're canadian?
Yep!
our canadian boys the Tragicly Hip, wrote a great song called "Firestorm"
Love the line
..."you said you don't give a fu*k about hockey, I never heard someone say that before.".....

Personally I can't stand Hockey ! :shake:

alnorth
02-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Half hour until the epic hockey match of these winter olympics.

MahiMike
02-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I wanna see some guy in the stands dressed up like John Candy and say "this beer sucks!".

kstater
02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Excellent choice of words from Jimmy Roberts. Saying the dead luger left an indelible mark at the Olympics.

alnorth
02-28-2010, 07:44 PM
ROFL

"indian chiefs" with english names

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Doesn't look like any of the Canadian hockey players made the ceremonies. Ryan Miller is there, though.

alnorth
02-28-2010, 08:34 PM
and Russia easily wins gold in length of national anthem

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Tweet:
Olympicreporter
For the first time since Rocky IV, the Russian anthem is heard within BC Place.

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Didn't Neil Young sing this on the last Conan?

alnorth
02-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Neil Young singing while the flames die out, that was perfect

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Denny Crane.

EyePod
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
home alone mom???

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
uhhh, this is supposed to be funny?

EyePod
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Neil Young singing while the flames die out, that was perfect

Only thing that bugged me was that he sang the same god damned song on Conan's last episode...

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
That wasn't funny, Catherine.

EyePod
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
He's barely even freaking shaking!

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Man, I don't remember a more dull closing ceremony.

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Man, I don't remember a more dull closing ceremony.

Needs more Shatner.

alnorth
02-28-2010, 09:17 PM
NBC is so God damn bad. they have been cutting out huge chunks of the ceremony for the sake of commercials.

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
NBC is so God damn bad. they have been cutting out huge chunks of the ceremony for the sake of commercials.Mountie up!!!!

EyePod
02-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Good looking mounties....

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
NBC is so God damn bad. they have been cutting out huge chunks of the ceremony for the sake of commercials.Now that I am over getting woke up by those Mounties.....

NBC paid sooo much for the Olympic coverage they need as many commercials as possible to pay for it.

tk13
02-28-2010, 09:24 PM
It's a good thing for Canada they won today, or this hockey stuff would be the most awkward bit ever.

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Bob said Giant inflatable beaver!

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
NBC is going to cut out of this early to show Marriage Ref? Haha.

tk13
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
LMAO Bob Costas uttering the words "giant inflatable beaver" makes the whole ceremony worth it.

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:27 PM
NBC is going to cut out of this early to show Marriage Ref? Haha.Proving they still don't have a clue.

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:27 PM
LMAO Bob Costas uttering the words "giant inflatable beaver" makes the whole ceremony worth it.SNL will probably run with that one.

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
This is such a lame closing bit, here. Wow.

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Am I wrong? Maybe I'm just biased because I'm actually Canadian, but it just seems lame.

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:29 PM
This is such a lame closing bit, here. Wow.It's better than what was going on 20 minutes ago. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah, they are cutting out of it, it appears.

Guru
Yeah, they are cutting out of it, it appears.Gotta pimp their new show while they still have an audience.

KC_Connection
Why was everyone wearing moose antlers?

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:31 PM
So Marriage Ref for a hour....then we return on tape delay.

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:32 PM
So Marriage Ref for a hour....then we return on tape delay.half hour then local news then Olympic party tape delayed.

alnorth
02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
NBC is going to cut out of this early to show Marriage Ref? Haha.

For the love of God ESPN, you have got to out-bid these nitwits. NBC is freaking unworthy of the games, this is just embarassing.

Guru
02-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Marriage expert? Alec? LMAO

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 09:34 PM
If they wanted to capitalize on Seinfeld's image, they should have at least made him the host of this nonsense.

alnorth
02-28-2010, 09:46 PM
We have the closing ceremony for the freaking winter olympics... and instead we are watching a married couple bickering over a stuffed dead dog in front of comedians.

I just sent a feedback email to ABC/ESPN begging them to out-bid NBC for 2014/2016

EyePod
02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
For the love of God ESPN, you have got to out-bid these nitwits. NBC is freaking unworthy of the games, this is just embarassing.

Yeah, I hate having to watch the stupid olympic recap on ESPN in the morning with pictures only because they don't have the rights to the videos. Shaun White pictures are not as good as the video...

KingPriest2
02-28-2010, 10:03 PM
We have the closing ceremony for the freaking winter olympics... and instead we are watching a married couple bickering over a stuffed dead dog in front of comedians.

I just sent a feedback email to ABC/ESPN begging them to out-bid NBC for 2014/2016

GUYS YES NBC SVREWED UP BY CUTTING TO THAT CRAPPY SHOW THE MATTAIGE REF?

BUT THE CANADIANS ARE FREAKING EMBARRASSED BY WHAT WE ARE MISSING CHECK THIS OUT
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/hockey/story/2010/02/28/spo-livechat-canada-gold.html

this is a blog about the closing ceremony

KingPriest2
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
closing ceremonies over now The Canadians are rejoicing now that is over

Gadzooks
02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
LMAO Bob Costas uttering the words "giant inflatable beaver" makes the whole ceremony worth it.

"The always enjoyable giant inflatable beaver." - Bob Costas

Frazod
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Marriage expert? Alec? LMAO

Yes, he should be an expert in how to use your kid as a weapon against the hot ex-wife that dumped you.

Die in a fire, Alec. 4321

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 10:45 PM
At least they had that dance crew from Toronto to end it, they were pretty good (not that NBC has shown it yet).

KingPriest2
02-28-2010, 11:25 PM
At least they had that dance crew from Toronto to end it, they were pretty good (not that NBC has shown it yet).

and it looks like they wont show it They have one act and cut to commercial

KC_Connection
02-28-2010, 11:42 PM
and it looks like they wont show it They have one act and cut to commercial
They didn't. They chose to show all the lame pop stars.

NBC's montage was good, though...Remember the Titans music can make anything epic.

FAX
03-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Well, all in all, the US of A had a darn good Olympic games.

NBC did everything in their power to screw it up for everybody, but overall, it was enjoyable and a welcome diversion from real life. I am now going to take up Curling in the hope that I can make the team four years from now. It just so happens that there are some rocks in the forest out back that I can use. All I need to do is figure out a way to refrigerate my basement so I can make a Curling sheet down there.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to affix casters to the bottom of my rocks. I'm thinking super glue should do the trick. Either way, there'll be some damn rock knocking down at the house of FAX as I prepare my skills for international competition.

FAX

tk13
03-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Don't forget the giant inflatable beavers, Mr. FAX.

Deberg_1990
03-01-2010, 06:14 AM
"Hi, my names Mike....and im Canadian"

That was a nice touch.

alnorth
03-01-2010, 07:42 AM
All I'm gonna say is that I hope the "Marriage Ref" gets unbelievably horrible ratings and dies in a fire. NBC has got to be the stupidest network on the face of the earth.

mlyonsd
03-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Well, all in all, the US of A had a darn good Olympic games.

NBC did everything in their power to screw it up for everybody, but overall, it was enjoyable and a welcome diversion from real life. I am now going to take up Curling in the hope that I can make the team four years from now. It just so happens that there are some rocks in the forest out back that I can use. All I need to do is figure out a way to refrigerate my basement so I can make a Curling sheet down there.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to affix casters to the bottom of my rocks. I'm thinking super glue should do the trick. Either way, there'll be some damn rock knocking down at the house of FAX as I prepare my skills for international competition.

FAX

It's called shuffleboard and is all the rage in Florida.

All those blue hair folk with wrap around sunglasses will kick your arse so you might want to pick up another sport. I don't think we did very good int the luge, maybe you might want to try that.

CanadianChief
03-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Am I wrong? Maybe I'm just biased because I'm actually Canadian, but it just seems lame.

That closing ceremony was just as shitty, if not shittier, than the opening ceremonies. After hearing Avril La???? and Allanis Morrisette I almost puked up all the Crown and Coke I had during the hockey game.

The Poz
03-01-2010, 09:21 AM
After that hockey game, who gives a sh!t about the closing ceremonies?

JD10367
03-01-2010, 09:33 AM
"Hi, my names Mike....and im Canadian"

That was a nice touch.

He looks like he's holding his own in the Parkinson's battle. He just seems like he's a bit drunk (slurring and a few tics).

Catherine O'Hara looks good for her age, but she'd be better with a d**k in her mouth so she couldn't talk. That was about as funny as a SNL skit of the past decade.

Shatner, LOL.... I like how he referenced the four beers he had, and actually had to pause to count them. Phasers on kill, dude.

JD10367
03-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Oh, yeah, and I liked the humor. The opening skit (raising the missing arm and letting that girl finally light it) was pretty good. And who didn't play the tabletop hockey game with the cardboard players? :D And, as mentioned, the "always-enjoyable giant beaver" was hilarious.