PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports ***Winter Olympics Thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

CanadaKC
02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
As I live in Vancouver...and we are hosting the world..let me say good luck to all the American athletes....I'll be cheering for Americans' Vonn and that red-headed snowboard dude...but Hockey...gotta be Canada. Enjoy!

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Agree with you on the Canada Hockey!

Bearcat
02-12-2010, 12:43 PM
I hope Canada vs Russia happens... :drool:

Buck
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
WILL THE KYRGYZ CONTINUE TO DOMINATE THE BIATHLON IS THE IMPORTANT QUESTION.

ChiTown
02-12-2010, 12:49 PM
As I live in Vancouver...and we are hosting the world..let me say good luck to all the American athletes....I'll be cheering for Americans' Vonn and that red-headed snowboard dude...but Hockey...gotta be Canada. Enjoy!

The Winter Olympics kick some serious ass. I'll be glues to the set for ALL the skiing.

mlyonsd
02-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Love the WO but they always seem to ruin it with too much ice skating coverage. Last olympics they even wasted time showing practice skates.

Idiots.

Frazod
02-12-2010, 12:57 PM
My wife will be enthralled by every single minute of this crap, so it means I can play my video games in peace. :thumb:

sedated
02-12-2010, 01:05 PM
already one fatality. (link has video)

http://deadspin.com/5470705/fatal-luge-crash-mars-opening-day

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21-year-old Georgian luger, died from head injuries suffered in a brutal crash in training today.

The CBC are the first to report that Kumaritashvili passed away, after a crash that looked unsurvivable. Going more than 90 mph toward the end of a training run this morning, he was launched from the track and slammed his head into a metal pole.

He was given mouth-to-mouth and chest compressions on the scene, to no avail. The track was closed and training canceled for the day. It remains to be seen how this will be handled at tonight's opening ceremonies.

Tango&Cash
02-12-2010, 01:19 PM
The WO suck other than downhill skiing and speed skating.

ChiTown
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Love the WO but they always seem to ruin it with too much ice skating coverage. Last olympics they even wasted time showing practice skates.

Idiots.

Yeah, ice skating drives me nuts.

The Poz
02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I'll resemble ChiTown's avatar while watching the hockey.
My pals and I already had our Olympics hockey pool. 9 rounds, I don't think I'll do so well - I have 3 Americans.

Sully
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Agree with you on the Canada Hockey!

My money's on Sweden!

Frazod
02-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, ice skating drives me nuts.

At least some of the women are hot.

DMAC
02-12-2010, 01:39 PM
already one fatality. (link has video)

http://deadspin.com/5470705/fatal-luge-crash-mars-opening-day

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21-year-old Georgian luger, died from head injuries suffered in a brutal crash in training today.

The CBC are the first to report that Kumaritashvili passed away, after a crash that looked unsurvivable. Going more than 90 mph toward the end of a training run this morning, he was launched from the track and slammed his head into a metal pole.

He was given mouth-to-mouth and chest compressions on the scene, to no avail. The track was closed and training canceled for the day. It remains to be seen how this will be handled at tonight's opening ceremonies.Perhaps there should not be HUMONGOUS metal poles so close to a luge track. :shrug:

ChiTown
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
At least some of the women are hot.

They'll need a lot less clothing to gain my interest.:evil:

Tango&Cash
02-12-2010, 01:50 PM
women figure skaters have someone of the best bodies on the planet.

Frazod
02-12-2010, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't care if Dorothy Hamill was wearing a parka.

Hell, she's old as dirt now and still looks good.

The Poz
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
They'll need a lot less clothing to gain my interest.:evil:

NSFW
http://www.funny-games.biz/images/pictures/1745-figure-skater-nipple.jpg

sedated
02-12-2010, 02:16 PM
women figure skaters have someone of the best bodies on the planet.

and they always wear the shortest skirts allowed in public (at least it seemed that way when I was 13).

I wanted to be a male figure skater for a large chunk of my puberty days.

ChiTown
02-12-2010, 02:20 PM
NSFW
http://www.funny-games.biz/images/pictures/1745-figure-skater-nipple.jpg

That's a good start, now let's lose the bottoms......
:thumb:

sedated
02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Anna Semenovich, Russian figure skater

look her up.

mlyonsd
02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Perhaps there should not be HUMONGOUS metal poles so close to a luge track. :shrug:

No chit.

ChiTown
02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
look her up.

NICE!
http://img11.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-20773/loc562/51124_semenovich58_122_562lo.jpg

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I was so looking forward to watching these Olympics on my new beast and now after the luge accident I'm not even sure they should start the games this evening.

gblowfish
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Luge is a really stupid sport, and dude who died apparently wasn't very good at it, he crashed before. So, not sure the Olympics should be stopped for an accident, this isn't like terrorists have taken a building, it's just a very sad accident.

The should have better safety features to keep these guys from literally flying off the track and hitting metal poles. That's a serious design flaw.

DMAC
02-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I was so looking forward to watching these Olympics on my new beast and now after the luge accident I'm not even sure they should start the games this evening.They shouldnt not start the games.

But they should definately postpone luge until they fix that monu-fuckin-mental problem of death poles.

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
They shouldnt not start the games.

But they should definately postpone luge until they fix that monu-****in-mental problem of death poles.

I agree, they can't just wait to start the games. Too much money and logistics involved. But it will certainly be strange to see everyone jovial and celebrating the opening of the games knowing one of the participants died while participating.

DMAC
02-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree, they can't just wait to start the games. Too much money and logistics involved. But it will certainly be strange to see everyone jovial and celebrating the opening of the games knowing one of the participants died while participating.I'm sure they will have their 30 second "moment of silence" so that in their minds they can forget all about it and not talk about it anymore.

By the way, luge starts tomorrow!

:shake:

CanadaKC
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
dam..that's some awful looking video...:shake: I was hoping these games would be awesome throughout..but they haven't even started and already I'm bummed...RIP

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Tough way to start the Olympics with a death in a training run...wow. Sucks for my country.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree, they can't just wait to start the games. Too much money and logistics involved. But it will certainly be strange to see everyone jovial and celebrating the opening of the games knowing one of the participants died while participating.

They went on with the show in Munich in '72 while Israeli athletes were being held hostage....so I doubt this will stop much of anything.

Except maybe the Luge, though....they need to make that track safer it seems to me.

Guru
02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I love the Winter Olympics but the skating coverage makes me want to go to NBC and go on a rampage. More events and less fluff!!!!

Jerm
02-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Holy shit that vid was crazy. Who the hell is gonna want to compete in Luge after that???

Nuts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
02-12-2010, 04:09 PM
dam..that's some awful looking video...:shake: I was hoping these games would be awesome throughout..but they haven't even started and already I'm bummed...RIPLink to the video?

ClevelandBronco
02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I love the Winter Olympics but the skating coverage makes me want to go to NBC and go on a rampage. More events and less fluff!!!!

With any luck we'll see a slew of skating fatalities.

Guru
02-12-2010, 04:12 PM
never mind. Found the link. Holy crap!!!! They better be putting up some sort of wall in front of those.

Guru
02-12-2010, 04:13 PM
With any luck we'll see a slew of skating fatalities.FINISH THEM!!!

I don't mind figure skating but the overwhelming coverage of it is just plain insane. Sure, show the competition but don't flood each and every night with it please.

CanadaKC
02-12-2010, 04:32 PM
On a more inspirational note...no one really has no idea who will light the big flame tonight (Gretzky has been mentioned)...but my bet is on Betty Fox...the mother of the late Terry Fox. If that name doesn't sound familiar...Terry Fox was the young guy who 30 years ago tried to run across Canada on one good leg and the other a prostetic...to raise money for cancer research...only to succumb his cancer halfway through the journey. He's a huge hero to all Canadians...and Terry Fox runs have taken place all over the world since his first historic run.

chiefqueen
02-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Link to the video?

Seeing the video may be hard. A friend of mine told me CNN will not show it.

CanadaKC
02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I saw it on www.ctvbc.com

JD10367
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM

look her up.

LMAO

JD10367
02-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Luge is a really stupid sport, and dude who died apparently wasn't very good at it, he crashed before.

They showed the video on the CBS Evening News just now. It was pretty horrific but, thankfully, the pole actually blocked the view of his body/torso hitting the pole. But you do see his legs, as his body goes from around 88MPH to 0. The lugers have no equipment whatsoever aside from their helmet: body in a giant Spandex suit going 90 vs. metal pole, metal pole will win that always.

Yeah, maybe that pole should've been padded. But chances are it wouldn't have mattered much.

On the news, they pointed out how every year they try to make the tracks faster and faster. And apparently that track he died on is literally the fastest luge on the planet, and there had already been concerns for safety. There's now talk of moving the starting point further down the track, which would decrease their overall speed.

WoodDraw
02-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Wow, that video is awful. I'd read an article about it, but seeing it is 100x worse.

There had been a lot of talk about how dangerous that track is. In a training run, someone already broke the previous world speed record by 5 miles or something.

And that track design does look awful. Perhaps that's unavoidable, but couldn't they engineer around the killer turns to avoid having metal walls where people are most likely to crash?

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
They showed the video on the CBS Evening News just now. It was pretty horrific but, thankfully, the pole actually blocked the view of his body/torso hitting the pole. But you do see his legs, as his body goes from around 88MPH to 0. The lugers have no equipment whatsoever aside from their helmet: body in a giant Spandex suit going 90 vs. metal pole, metal pole will win that always.

Yeah, maybe that pole should've been padded. But chances are it wouldn't have mattered much.

On the news, they pointed out how every year they try to make the tracks faster and faster. And apparently that track he died on is literally the fastest luge on the planet, and there had already been concerns for safety. There's now talk of moving the starting point further down the track, which would decrease their overall speed.

Judging by how fast he was going, I'm not sure padding would have helped much at all.

There are ways to slow the course (heat up the ice, start further down) which would make it safer without canceling the event tomorrow.

alnorth
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I'm not even close to a Luge expert, but reading some articles, apparently people have been complaining for a long time that the Whistler track in Canada is by far the most dangerous track in the world. You can apparently achieve rediculous speeds on the track that can send you dangerously high up the sides, but if your in a competition you cant really hold back or play it safe. If the track lets the best break 90 mph, then you have to try to match that speed to have any chance at a medal.

WoodDraw
02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Judging by how fast he was going, I'm not sure padding would have helped much at all.

There are ways to slow the course (heat up the ice, start further down) which would make it safer without canceling the event tomorrow.

Some of it has to do with the sport only receiving coverage once every four years.

I know they're not overly similar, but look at the safety measures auto racing has done to try to limit injuries. If these sports received the same audience, I'm sure the track would look quite different. Whether that would have saved his life, who knows.

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Seeing the video may be hard. A friend of mine told me CNN will not show it.

They just did.

Delano
02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
This is the pinnacle of the sport. The track should be the most difficult on earth. Luge is dangerous - that's kind of in the contract.

They replayed the crash several times on NBC shortly after coverage began and even showed close-ups of medical folks performing CPR on a bloody face.
Posted via Mobile Device

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Huffpo has a picture of him being tended to and his eyes are open. He looks dead but I read he died later at the hospital. The picture is unnecessary and not very respectful, IMO.

Deberg_1990
02-12-2010, 05:58 PM
They just did.

NBC has showed the video a few times now. Im actually surprised they did.

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
This is the pinnacle of the sport. The track should be the most difficult on earth. Luge is dangerous - that's kind of in the contract.

They replayed the crash several times on NBC shortly after coverage began and even showed close-ups of medical folks performing CPR on a bloody face.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wonder if they knew right away the extent of his injuries when they were playing it. I saw the story break on MSNBC and they said he had gravely critical injuries or something to that effect.

Delano
02-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I wonder if they knew right away the extent of his injuries when they were playing it. I saw the story break on MSNBC and they said he had gravely critical injuries or something to that effect.

Sorry, I meant the 6:30 PM coverage - long after the Georgian passed away.
Posted via Mobile Device

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry, I meant the 6:30 PM coverage - long after the Georgian passed away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow. So it's now part of the show? Sad.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
They've been showing his death video on all the major news networks. It's a bit surprising to me.

Delano
02-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Wow. So it's now part of the show? Sad.

Well, NBC had to address it, but they may have gone overboard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
02-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Lindsey Vonn is HOOOOOOOTT!!

RedDread
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I am amazed he survived long enough to make it to the hospital. Crazy...

Easy 6
02-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I cant believe that the Georgian luger's moment of death is splashed all over the net, watched it at work :shake:.

Why, knowing that these guys sometimes come off the track, would you have big concrete pillars around the course? He was a victim of terrible design IMO.

You could just tell the way he hit that pillar... man, nothing but rag doll, almost didnt look real.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Craziest race Ohno has ever been in:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IrmNnp0Ef8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_IrmNnp0Ef8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JD10367
02-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Lindsey Vonn is HOOOOOOOTT!!

Go to Sports Illustrated online. She was in the swimsuit issue and, online, there are around 45 pics of her. Tasty.

DaFace
02-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I cant believe that the Georgian luger's moment of death is splashed all over the net, watched it at work :shake:.

Why, knowing that these guys sometimes come off the track, would you have big concrete pillars around the course? He was a victim of terrible design IMO.

You could just tell the way he hit that pillar... man, nothing but rag doll, almost didnt look real.

I tend to agree. I have no idea what kind of changes they can make in a hurry, but you'd think they have to do SOMETHING.

JD10367
02-12-2010, 06:39 PM

I'm not a medical expert but, as postulated earlier, I think the human body hitting anything, while decelerating from 90MPH to 0, with no protective padding... not sure it would've made a difference.

WoodDraw
02-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I am amazed he survived long enough to make it to the hospital. Crazy...

I don't think he 'survived', really. He was probably dead on the scene, but transfered to the hospital quickly where the doctors tried to revive him and then pronounced him dead. That's speculation from me, but not unusual.

Easy 6
02-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I tend to agree. I have no idea what kind of changes they can make in a hurry, but you'd think they have to do SOMETHING.

Yeah, theres really no excuse for such a terrible design IMO, something like that should be wide open outside of the course & heavily padded in trouble spots.

To address what JD is saying, there shouldnt be anything for these guys to hit except open, padded ground. Not sure how you build it to include spectator seating doing that, but they're gonna have to do something better than this.

DaFace
02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah, theres really no excuse for such a terrible design IMO, something like that should be wide open outside of the course & heavily padded in trouble spots.

To address what JD is saying, there shouldnt be anything for these guys to hit except open, padded ground. Not sure how you build it to include spectator seating doing that, but they're gonna have to do something better than this.

Yeah, I don't think adding 6" of padding over a steel bar is going to do much for someone going 90mph. My thinking is that it would be better to wall the whole thing off to at least keep people heading down the track if they lose control. You'd still be breaking bones, but hopefully not quite as severely.

Easy 6
02-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Now for something more lighthearted...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvIewCiBuSs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uvIewCiBuSs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

JD10367
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
I think a simpler point needs to be addressed: what the f**k are they doing luging with no protective equipment anyway?!? Just a helmet, and nothing else but a skintight Spandex suit? Yeah, it allows them to go fast, but aren't they competing against each other? Make them wear some protective gear, fer crissakes, and just set a new benchmark of times. Sure, the times may rise from 28 seconds to 58 seconds (just pulling those numbers out of my ass, BTW) but who cares?

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Me thinks I did not know 75% of the people in the new "We Are the World." :spock:

Buzzsaw
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Uh, glass like they have around a hockey rink. You know the sport EVERYONE up there in CANADA plays :shake:

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't think he 'survived', really. He was probably dead on the scene, but transfered to the hospital quickly where the doctors tried to revive him and then pronounced him dead. That's speculation from me, but not unusual.

Agreed, he looks deceased in the picture I was talking about earlier. Sad. Invasion of his privacy, IMO.

Delano
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Jesus Christ - I hope the last several posts were hyperbole.

People die at sporting events - bring on the puns.
Posted via Mobile Device

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Uh, glass like they have around a hockey rink. You know the sport EVERYONE up there in CANADA plays :shake:

No way would glass withstand a 175 pound bullet going at 90 mph.

But I'm no structural engineer.

Deberg_1990
02-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Me thinks I did not know 75% of the people in the new "We Are the World." :spock:

yea, no kidding....what were Jeff Bridges and Vince Vaughn doing in there???

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Padding the numbers?

kstater
02-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Oh god, everything is going to be in French.

memyselfI
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm so glad the Georgian delegation decided to at least attend opening ceremonies. These athletes have worked much of their lives for this moment.

kstater
02-12-2010, 07:01 PM
It's like the opening to Full House

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Who is that singing O' Canada? She's damn good. I heard them say only 16? That's amazing really.

kstater
02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Who is that singing O' Canada? She's damn good. I heard them say only 16? That's amazing really.

I'd venture she's some Canadian singer.

alnorth
02-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Oh god, everything is going to be in French.

eh, its part of the olympics.

Officially, the olympics must be in 3 languages: English, French, and the language of the host nation. When its in a place like the US, UK, Canada, France, etc then we only have to deal with 2 languages.

English you can understand, but French? Why? Why not Spanish, or Chinese? :spock:

Silock
02-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Is that Sacagawea?

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm learning as much about my own "Canadian culture" as you guys are. lol.

kstater
02-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Those are some of the whitest looking Eskimo's I've ever seen.

Kyle DeLexus
I'd venture she's some Canadian singer.

ROFL yep. Found it.

Nikki Yanofsky 16 year old Jazz singer from Montreal.

Silock
Those are some of the whitest looking Eskimo's I've ever seen.

I just said that, and my wife told me to stop being so insensitive.

KC_Connection
Don't think I've ever seen an aboriginal eskimo.

JD10367
02-12-2010, 07:18 PM
It's second in size only to Russia, yet only has 33 million people? Why haven't we invaded and taken them the f**k over?!?

KC_Connection
It's second in size only to Russia, yet only has 33 million people? Why haven't we invaded and taken them the f**k over?!?
war of 1812?

Delano
Release the seal pups and commence clubbing!
Posted via Mobile Device

Kyle DeLexus

England would be pissed, thats why.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't think I'll ever venture into the Canadian arctic and meet our eskimos....Toronto is just fine for me....

JD10367
02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
England would be pissed, thats why.

Oh, screw them, too. Wimpy little island used to control most of the world, now they ain't got shit. They've been so deballed, France could kick their ass.

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think I'll ever venture into the Canadian arctic and meet our eskimos....Toronto is just fine for me....

Your missing out on all that history.

alnorth
02-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Not to get too cheesy here, this (parade of nations) is actually one of my favorite parts of the olympics. The vast majority of athletes dont have a chance in hell of medalling, but they still busted their ass their whole life to get there. This night is basically their super bowl, and I like to watch their sheer joy.

JD10367
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I always feel bad for the lone-athlete countries. Must be lonely.

kstater
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Former Yugoslov Republic of Macedonia

Who guessed "F"

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Oh, screw them, too. Wimpy little island used to control most of the world, now they ain't got shit. They've been so deballed, France could kick their ass.
Some might say it's the destiny of all world powers...

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Your missing out on all that history.
If you want to take a boring course in school...take Canadian history.

kstater
02-12-2010, 07:42 PM
The black Scottish athlete representing Ghana.

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Former Yugoslov Republic of Macedonia

Who guessed "F"

They have to be referred to as that because of the historical significance that the name(and region) Macedonia has to Greece.

Guru
02-12-2010, 07:45 PM
this is the part I can't stand. Waiting for all the competitors to walk out.

JD10367
02-12-2010, 07:47 PM
this is the part I can't stand. Waiting for all the competitors to walk out.

How about if Flounder threw a box of marbles on the ice? :D

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 07:48 PM
If you want to take a boring course in school...take Canadian history.

Did you get to watch episodes of The Great White North?

JD10367
02-12-2010, 07:49 PM
What?!? No Jamaican bobsled team?!?

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 07:51 PM
What?!? No Jamaican bobsled team?!?

It's all bullshit politics. I think i'm going to turn this off now and only watch the hockey.

JD10367
02-12-2010, 07:51 PM

I liked the more recent and underrated "Due North".

JD10367
02-12-2010, 07:53 PM
It's all bullshit politics. I think i'm going to turn this off now and only watch the hockey.

I'm only watching stuff with chicks. Ice skating, or anything with skintight bodysuits. :)

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I'm only watching stuff with ice skating, or anything with skintight bodysuits. :)

http://coffeespoon.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/blades-of-glory-movie.jpg

Enjoy

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:11 PM
mmmmm Sweden

kstater
02-12-2010, 08:12 PM
USA USA
USA USA

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 08:14 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksYSCWpFKBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksYSCWpFKBo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kstater
02-12-2010, 08:14 PM
BOOOOOOOOO EH?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JD10367
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Blue dress.... I'd hit it, eh?

JD10367
02-12-2010, 08:22 PM
BOOOOOOOOO EH?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bow to the queen of slime! /PrincessBrideMode

JD10367
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
These colorful white people look like "Disney Indians". Somewhere on Pine Ridge, Natives are laughing...

JD10367
02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
That was Nelly Furtado? Not too shabby.

Deberg_1990
02-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Bryan Adams has officially lost his rocker cred. Hes dead to me....

Mr_Tomahawk
02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Not usually a fan of the Olympics...

But the opening ceremony is cool as fuck!

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Not usually a fan of the Olympics...

But the opening ceremony is cool as ****!

I agree that the ceremony is pretty amazing.

kstater
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
When does Celine Dion come out?

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Interesting stuff they've done so far...

kstater
02-12-2010, 08:48 PM
This violin part would be a bit more effective had they plugged them in.

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
When does Celine Dion come out?I was wondering that as well. Seems almost inevitable.:shake:

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM
That guys has mics on his shoes.

kstater
02-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Stomp, Canadian version.

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:53 PM
the things they are doing with the floor are just plain amazing!

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Interesting stuff they've done so far...

So I take it Canada has a history of tap dancing street toughs?

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 09:01 PM
So I take it Canada has a history of tap dancing street toughs?
Maybe the French do? They're different. :)

stumppy
02-12-2010, 09:02 PM
The only person they should have put on those wires is Pink.

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Maybe the French do? They're different. :)
THIS times 100

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Stomp, Canadian version.
And the Newfie version is
"Dis go here and dat go dare"

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I was wondering that as well. Seems almost inevitable.:shake:
NOPE!!!
Just read somewhere, she's in trying to get knocked up again or some other crap.

kstater
02-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Thunder sticks?

Pitt Gorilla
02-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Anyone else notice that Bryan Adams forgot to move his mic up in time to lip sync his part of the song?

alanm
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
kd Lang in all her masculinity. :spock:

Deberg_1990
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
What is this? The Lilith Fair version of the Opening Ceremonies?

Mr. Laz
02-12-2010, 09:41 PM
KD Lang or Johnny Cash ......... you make the call

Mr. Laz
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
this chick's opera singing hurts my ears

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 09:46 PM
this chick's opera singing hurts my ears

Looks like Bobby was thinking the same thing....on a side note he looked high.

Guru
02-12-2010, 09:50 PM
I had to miss the last 30 minutes of the ceremonies coming in to work. Hopefully NBC will have them online later. Had to leave with the kid was flying around.

Silock
02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I don't care what anyone says... K.D. Lang fucking smoked that song. She sounded amazing.

alnorth
02-12-2010, 09:54 PM
geez. people barely care about the winter olympics as it is. Shut Up about the cripple and retard olympics.

58kcfan89
02-12-2010, 09:55 PM
lol, Steve Nash jogging with the flame.

Guru
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
oooops

stumppy
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Rotroh

58kcfan89
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
oooops

LMAO:LOL:ROFL

Gawd, this sucks for Canadia.

KChiefs1
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Technical Difficulties?

Guru
02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, Shaun liked it.

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
That woulda been pretty kick ass too had it not been for the technical difficulties

58kcfan89
02-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Technical Difficulties?

Haha, yeah. Costas said they were supposed to have 4 of those pillar things come up out of the floor, but only 3 actually did... I'm willing to bet that flame lighting ceremony was supposed to be a lot cooler than it was...

Guru
Kind of anti climatic. LMAO

alnorth
Oh, Canada.

You hapless goofballs can never do anything correctly.

Silock
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
LOL

A little erectile dysfunction.

"Don't worry, Canada. It happens to a lot of countries."

Guru
Oh, Canada.

You hapless goofballs can never do anything correctly.It's too bad the most important part of the ceremony got fouled up. Everything leading up to it was top notch.

kstater
Leave it to the Canadians to fuck up something as simple as lighting fire.

Guru
LOL

A little erectile dysfunction.

"Don't worry, Canada. It happens to a lot of countries.":LOL:LMAOROFL

Damnit, I was taking a drink too.

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
It's too bad the most important part of the ceremony got fouled up. Everything leading up to it was top notch.

Truth. I just feel sorry for the torch bearer that didn't get to light anything, I think it was Nash (not 100% though)

alnorth
02-12-2010, 10:06 PM
It's too bad the most important part of the ceremony got fouled up. Everything leading up to it was top notch.

If you had to pick something to screw up, that would be the last thing. Imagine if there was a video glitch on one of those prairie waving wheat things on the floor, or if one of the acrobats got hung up and couldnt spin, or if the singer of the anthem had a voice crack. It would be forgotten by the time of the torch.

Guru
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I still think the lighting by arrow was one of the best I have seen.

Delano
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't care what anyone says... K.D. Lang fucking smoked that song. She sounded amazing.

This.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
02-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Why the hell are we interviewing Joe?

KChiefs1
02-12-2010, 10:08 PM
I still think the lighting by arrow was one of the best I have seen.

Without a doubt the coolest lighting ceremony ever!:thumb:

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Leave it to the Canadians to **** up something as simple as lighting fire.

What happened? I switched to the ridiculous Pitt-WV 3 OT game like 30 min ago,

Guru
02-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Geez, I was hoping the outside lighting would be better. What a double let down.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Anybody? What screwed up? I just see Gretzky with his own torch.

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
What happened? I switched to the ridiculous Pitt-WV 3 OT game like 30 min ago,

One of the legs on the cauldron wouldn't come up so they had 3 legs and 4 torch bearers.

Took them awhile to decide to go ahead with 3.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
One of the legs on the cauldron wouldn't come up so they had 3 legs and 4 torch bearers.

Took them awhile to decide to go ahead with 3.

Ah, awkward.

alnorth
02-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Ah, awkward.

that thing you saw was the 2nd lighting. Apparently theres an olympic rule that they have to have a torch visible to people from outdoors, but they were in an indoor stadium. So, they had an indoor lighting and an outdoor lighting for another torch across town.

For the indoor torch, they had a mechanical failure which hung up the ceremony for a couple minutes before they gave up and went with what they could do.

Kyle DeLexus
02-12-2010, 10:21 PM
It's the equivalent of a basketball player scoring 70 points but missing a last second layup that would have won the game.

JD10367
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
When does Celine Dion come out?

I doubt she ever will. I mean, everyone KNOWS she looks like a lipstick lesbian, but to admit it would hurt her career.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 10:37 PM
I did enjoy Gretzky's drive out on the back of the truck to the outside cauldron. People were going nuts and there was no security either. Pretty hilarious. Not sure if NBC had that, I was watching that online on a Canadian feed.

Guru
02-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I did enjoy Gretzky's drive out on the back of the truck to the outside cauldron. People were going nuts and there was no security either. Pretty hilarious. Not sure if NBC had that, I was watching that online on a Canadian feed.I didn't think it was possible to completely nail the ceremonies only to completely screw up the torch lighting.:doh!:

ChiefJustice
02-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I didn't think it was possible to completely nail the ceremonies only to completely screw up the torch lighting.:doh!:

That's what they get for not including William Shatner.

He would of forced that 4th pillar up with sheer willpower.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I didn't think it was possible to completely nail the ceremonies only to completely screw up the torch lighting.:doh!:
As long as Canada wins the gold in hockey, nothing else will matter in the end.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 11:06 PM
That's what they get for not including William Shatner.

He would of forced that 4th pillar up with sheer willpower.

Denny Crane.

alnorth
02-12-2010, 11:27 PM
In the pure olympic spirit of peace, athletics, and sportsmanship, we have a new olympic poster from Colbert (designed by that guy who did the Obama poster).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a894983a970b-300wi

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Is anyone watching this fairy fly across the stage?

The_Doctor10
02-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Denny Crane.

His poop doesn't stink.

big nasty kcnut
02-13-2010, 05:00 AM
I hope we win the ice hockey men and womens gold to rub it in canada face.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 08:25 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/luge/news?slug=ap-lug-lugerdies&prov=ap&type=lgns

Luge will go on as planned.

JD10367
02-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Is anyone watching this fairy fly across the stage?

Mens' figure skating started already? :shrug:

DaFace
02-13-2010, 10:57 AM
So, I had recorded the ceremony so that I could watch a hockey game, and the recording cut out right after the malfunction. Rep to anyone who can point me in the direction of video of the last 10-15 minutes or so of the ceremony.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Men's Downhill postponed.

Guru
02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
WTF? No olympics on NBC?

kstater
02-13-2010, 11:51 AM
WTF? No olympics on NBC?

TV schedule(change the cable company to yours): http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/zone=CT/day=2/index.html

Online Schedule: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/live-full-replays.html

JD10367
02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
That was cool. Speedskater set an Olympic record and finally won a gold, and runs across the ice, climbs the fence, climbs the camera-dolly track, climbs the spectator glass, and runs into the stands to hug his parents and suck face with his chick. :) THAT"S what the Olympics are about.

the Talking Can
02-13-2010, 04:02 PM
why aren't they showing events non stop?

are there really no events going on till 2 in the afternoon and 8 at night?

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-schedule-results/

Deberg_1990
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM

www.nbcolympics.com

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:06 PM
short track is up. Fun stuff to watch.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 06:09 PM
short track speed skating. By far the best event of the winter olympics, controversy, intense, always close, usually guaranteed to see crashes.

Delano
02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
short track is up. Fun stuff to watch.

Hell yeah. One wreck already. The Texan fucking stiffarmed that Asian.
DQ'ed
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
apollo up next.

JD10367
02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Just looked up at the TV in time to see Apollo stretch backwards. Thanks, dude. Really didn't need to catch your schlong in bas-relief. :shake:

kstater
02-13-2010, 06:24 PM
That was pretty sweet.

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Ohno just owned them all. WOW

JD10367
pwned by a guy older than them. That was a bitch-slap.

Delano
That was pretty sweet.

Bitches crash in the Ohno turbulence.
Posted via Mobile Device

alnorth
02-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Haha, damn. That was cool. He spent the first 9 laps relaxing in the back of the pack, cruising in their draft, then passed everyone in the second to last lap, and won by a full quarter lap.

JD10367
02-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Ohno = Onoz for the guys looking at his ass cheeks, LOL.

Guru
What is amazing is that he passed every single one of them in one pass on the OUTSIDE

JD10367
Haha, damn. That was cool.He spent the first 9 laps relaxing in the back of the pack, cruising in their draft, then passed everyone in the second to last lap, and won by a full quarter lap.

He did everything but skate backwards and put his hand on their heads to let them take little-brother roundhouse swings in the air at him, LOL.

JD10367
02-13-2010, 06:28 PM
What is amazing is that he passed every single one of them in one pass on the OUTSIDE

And I love how he looked back at them, and leisurely stood up and cruised across the line, LOL.

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:28 PM
My son was in here saying this is boring. I just told him to wait a couple laps and he was hooked.

DaFace
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM
I officially dislike the fact that they delay this stuff. I can't talk with you guys about it because it's not shown for another hour here.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 06:30 PM
He did everything but skate backwards and put his hand on their heads to let them take little-brother roundhouse swings in the air at him, LOL.

At this point, I think the only way Ohno doesnt win the gold is if someone crashes him out like 4 years ago in Torino. This is kinda like snowboardcross in that you can be the best in the world, but you still need to be lucky enough to avoid getting crashed out by some fool.

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:30 PM
I officially dislike the fact that they delay this stuff. I can't talk with you guys about it because it's not shown for another hour here.They delayed it in Denver? Damn, that sucks.

kstater
02-13-2010, 06:31 PM
I officially dislike the fact that they delay this stuff. I can't talk with you guys about it because it's not shown for another hour here.

Isn't Vancouver in the Pacific Time Zone? Why would they delay it coming back east?

JD10367
02-13-2010, 06:31 PM
My son was in here saying this is boring. I just told him to wait a couple laps and he was hooked.

Tell him, "Son, it's like sex. A lot of slow foreplay, a quick buildup, then a frantic rush to the finish line." :D

DaFace
02-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Isn't Vancouver in the Pacific Time Zone? Why would they delay it coming back east?

They want the big events in prime time.

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Tell him, "Son, it's like sex. A lot of slow foreplay, a quick buildup, then a frantic rush to the finish line." :D:LOL:

JD10367
02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
They keep showing the botched torch-lighting like it's the friggin' Zapruder film. We all feel bad for the poor chick who had to stand there, we get it, it was a technical glitch, get over it, LOL.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
Looks like qualification is over in the other big event tonight.

Spoiler alert in the women's freestyle:

USA had 4 women in the event, and all four qualified for the medal round, finishing 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th out of 27. That Canadian chick who everyone is wondering might win their first gold is currently in 2nd.

DaFace
They delayed it in Denver? Damn, that sucks.

Technically, they delayed it for you too.

Guru
damn, why is vancouver hosting the winter olympics if they can't keep snow around? heh

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Technically, they delayed it for you too.Well damn them for putting the word LIVE on my screen then.

DaFace
02-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Well damn them for putting the work LIVE on my screen then.

I could be wrong, but I know that the last Olympics they had the live symbol on the screen at times when it would have been 3am in China. We'll see in 20 minutes when it comes on here.

DaFace
02-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Here...we'll figure it out. What event are you guys watching right now? Here's the official schedule:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-schedule-results/

Guru
02-13-2010, 06:45 PM
I think we are live here Face. Mens short track was right on schedule with our time.

DaFace
02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I think we are live here Face.

Well, damn then. It's just us (and probably the west coast) who suck.

:sulk:

kstater
02-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I think we are live here Face. Mens short track was right on schedule with our time.

Midwest is hour behind. freestyle moguls started 430 pacific.

Guru
Midwest is hour behind. freestyle moguls started 430 pacific.We are not live for the womens freestyle. We were live for the mens short though.

the Talking Can
fans holding up signs that say "Heil"

didn't know it was the name of a canadian skier....i was like, umm....

DaFace
02-13-2010, 06:49 PM
We are not live for the womens freestyle. We were live for the mens short though.

Well, regardless, I wish they'd just show it all live. It takes some of the fun away knowing some things have already happened. I mean, it makes sense to delay stuff when the Olympics are in a dramatically different time zone, but why not just leave it alone when they're in the Americas?

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Short track is crazy...and it's going to get even crazier in the semis. 7 skaters in each race fighting for 2 spots. The top Korean, Canadian, and Ohno are in the same semi too...

The_Doctor10
02-13-2010, 07:05 PM
fans holding up signs that say "Heil"

didn't know it was the name of a canadian skier....i was like, umm....

Yes, she's the defending gold medallist from Torino.

DaFace
02-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey look, short track is starting!

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:08 PM
At this point, I think the only way Ohno doesnt win the gold is if someone crashes him out like 4 years ago in Torino. This is kinda like snowboardcross in that you can be the best in the world, but you still need to be lucky enough to avoid getting crashed out by some fool.
Ohno isn't the favorite in this one I believe, a Korean is...Ohno's better at the shorter distances for obvious reasons.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 07:21 PM
7? holy hell, how do you fit 7 in that race?

kstater
02-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Semi's are usually 6, but if someone gets crashed while in a transfer spot and the guy that wrecked him is DQ'd, he gets to move on.

Red Beans
02-13-2010, 07:25 PM

THE FLYING TOMATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHHHHAAAHHAHAHH:clap:

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Somebody is going to crash. It's almost guaranteed.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:30 PM
DQ??

DaFace
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
DQ??

No thanks. It's a little cold for ice cream tonight.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Nope, clean.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 07:33 PM
DQ??

Ohno is lucky that the korean guy he bumped didnt fall or lose any position. Looks like a "no blood, no foul" call.

kstater
02-13-2010, 07:35 PM
That guy from Canada is like twice the size of everyone else.

kstater
02-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Guy from Canada should get a free pass now.

kstater
02-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Wait, how did other guys get a pass and this guy doesn't?

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:39 PM
The Canadian medal contenders choked, I'll have to cheer for Ohno over these Koreans.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 07:39 PM

You dont get a pass unless you are in qualifying position when you crash. Not sure where the canadian was, but if he wasn't top 2 when he went down, he's screwed. Thats one of the risks of hanging out in the back like Ohno's been doing. If you arent in the top 2 or 3, you better not go down.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I think that only happens in the heats...not sure, though.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:40 PM
You dont get a pass unless you are in qualifying position when you crash. Not sure where the canadian was, but if he wasn't top 2 when he went down, he's screwed.
Ah, that's right.

kstater
02-13-2010, 07:41 PM
You dont get a pass unless you are in qualifying position when you crash. Not sure where the canadian was, but if he wasn't top 2 when he went down, he's screwed. Thats one of the risks of hanging out in the back like Ohno's been doing. If you arent in the top 2 or 3, you better not go down.

I thought he was in second at the time, guess not.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I thought he was in second at the time, guess not.

It might also be a quarter-only thing too. If you are in the lead in the medal race and go down, they dont hand you a gold. I think they only want 6 in the final no matter what.

kstater
02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
USA has 1/3 of the Finals.

alnorth
02-13-2010, 07:47 PM
That other american cut that a little close at the end. He got a bit lazy at the finish line and an italian snuck up and almost stole his spot away.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
It might also be a quarter-only thing too. If you are in the lead in the medal race and go down, they dont hand you a gold. I think they only want 6 in the final no matter what.
I think they have the option of re-racing without the DQ'd guy in that case, though it's not a strict rule.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:50 PM
They advanced that Canadian btw, kstater, you were right.

Now I still have someone to cheer for in addition to Ohno.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 07:51 PM
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-short-track-speed-skating/schedule-and-results/mens-1500-m-semifinals_stm015200Pp.html