PDA

View Full Version : Money Amex just screwed me hard

Guru
02-12-2010, 07:52 PM
They applied my payment twice this month sending my bank account $2000 into the red. They are doing a wire transfer to give MY money back but insist it will take 7 days to process. In the mean time I have to get creative with my bank accounts now to keep from overdrafting in both. fucking bastards :mad:

Plus, they say they can't reimburse me the fees I will be eating. I'll being going higher up the food chain on that claim.

Needless to say, I'll be canceling this card after all this is fixed.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 07:53 PM
They applied my payment twice this month sending my bank account $2000 into the red. They are doing a wire transfer to give MY money back but insist it will take 7 days to process. In the mean time I have to get creative with my bank accounts now to keep from overdrafting in both. fucking bastards :mad:

Plus, they say they can't reimburse me the fees I will be eating. I'll being going higher up the food chain on that claim.

Bullfuckingshit they can't. They're legally fucking liable for them. Your bank should credit them when the payment is reversed, but if they don't, Amex is liable for all damages incurred by you for their fuck up.

kstater
02-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Did you send them 2 checks?

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Did you send them 2 checks?:spock::shake::rolleyes::harumph:no

Yes I know you were joking.:thumb:

Reerun_KC
02-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Did you enjoy it?

googlegoogle
02-12-2010, 08:10 PM
small claims court?

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Did you enjoy it?They didn't even use lubricant.

old_geezer
02-12-2010, 08:22 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly, one double payment to Amex sent you $2000 into the red. You have a credit card monthly payment of $2000 ? Or is Amex something else? Damn - when I was young and foolish I had credit card debt of 200-300 a month, but I'm paid up and have no outstanding credit card debt at this time. Not trying to judge you cause I don't know your situation, but get rid of that debt asap. I'm a very lucky and blessed man.

And, yes, the company should be held responsible for expenses caused by their mistakes.

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
If I'm understanding this correctly, one double payment to Amex sent you $2000 into the red. You have a credit card monthly payment of $2000 ? Or is Amex something else? Damn - when I was young and foolish I had credit card debt of 200-300 a month, but I'm paid up and have no outstanding credit card debt at this time. Not trying to judge you cause I don't know your situation, but get rid of that debt asap. I'm a very lucky and blessed man.

And, yes, the company should be held responsible for expenses caused by their mistakes.We charge everything and I pay my balance in full every month. We are also a family of 6. We use the credit card for the points and the points only. But no more.

We have no debt other than our house.

Saul Good
02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Of course they are liable. That's like a plumber breaking your pipes and saying, "I'll pay to repair your pipes, but I'm not paying for the flood damage the water caused".

Baconeater
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Am I the last person on earth that still uses cash?

old_geezer
02-12-2010, 08:42 PM
We charge everything and I pay my balance in full every month. We are also a family of 6. We use the credit card for the points and the points only. But no more.

Glad to hear that. I was like, "Wow" when I first read that and it didn't seem like you at all. Cards can be a blessing if used correctly, and that sounds more like you. Hope everything works out quickly and the company accepts the blame for their mistake. Usually all it takes is to talk to someone a little higher up the food chain that knows what they're doing. :thumb:

rad
02-12-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd STILL be on the phone if I was you.....

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Glad to hear that. I was like, "Wow" when I first read that and it didn't seem like you at all. Cards can be a blessing if used correctly, and that sounds more like you. Hope everything works out quickly and the company accepts the blame for their mistake. Usually all it takes is to talk to someone a little higher up the food chain that knows what they're doing. :thumb:This was a second level support issue so I went up to a supervisor but I'll have to go higher to get the fees back. I think my bank will forgive all of them though. they really shouldn't have to as AMEX should have to pay every single penny of it. These next 7 days are going to be a bitch though. We can't pay everything via credit card. Daycare and such have to be by check.

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I'd STILL be on the phone if I was you.....I've accomplished all I can at this point. I'll be calling them again though. Count on it!!!

DaFace
02-12-2010, 08:50 PM

You and Mexicans.

(I apologize if that comes across as racist. I like to think of it as a generality rather than racism, but who knows these days?)

Guru
02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Am I the last person on earth that still uses cash?What's cash?:LOL:

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 09:05 PM
They applied my payment twice this month sending my bank account $2000 into the red. They are doing a wire transfer to give MY money back but insist it will take 7 days to process. In the mean time I have to get creative with my bank accounts now to keep from overdrafting in both. ****ing bastards :mad:

Look on the bright side, your story as short. It'll take ya 5 mins to find out how my day went :banghead:

Did it help any?

DaFace
02-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Glad to hear that. I was like, "Wow" when I first read that and it didn't seem like you at all. Cards can be a blessing if used correctly, and that sounds more like you. Hope everything works out quickly and the company accepts the blame for their mistake. Usually all it takes is to talk to someone a little higher up the food chain that knows what they're doing. :thumb:

I avoid paying "real money" for anything if I can. I get between 1-2% cash back on our main credit card, so I get back somewhere around $30-$50 per month for using credit rather than cash. The $2000 bill each month sounds frightening, but when you pay it off every month, it's great.

ClevelandBronco
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
You and Mexicans.

(I apologize if that comes across as racist. I like to think of it as a generality rather than racism, but who knows these days?)

No. It's true for many according to my wife, the Mexican. It's a cash economy down there. Even mortgages are looked upon as being a bad idea.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2010, 09:24 PM
kiss first?

Duck Dog
02-12-2010, 09:25 PM

I pay everything with my Cabelas card, then make only one payment a month to the CC. I carry a zero balance. I do this for ease in bill paying and for the points. Using cash is no big deal but people in line writing checks pisses me off.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
small claims court?

You could, but they would amend if if they actually wanted to court, which they wouldn't. The following post from the man himself though would indicate the ability to sue for punitive damages as well as the actual damages. He would make quite a bit of cash on this if they really were dumb enough to try and hold fast on the fees. They're getting off easy AFAIC.

This was a second level support issue so I went up to a supervisor but I'll have to go higher to get the fees back. I think my bank will forgive all of them though. they really shouldn't have to as AMEX should have to pay every single penny of it. These next 7 days are going to be a bitch though. We can't pay everything via credit card. Daycare and such have to be by check.

The bank will forgive those fees. Banks have no problems covering each others asses. They're strictly out for yours.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 09:37 PM

Yes. And it's been awhile too. As the 2nd last person on earth that still used cash, it's been 5 years since I've had more than a couple hundred bucks on me.

-King-
02-13-2010, 12:53 AM
Yes. And it's been awhile too. As the 2nd last person on earth that still used cash, it's been 5 years since I've had more than a couple hundred bucks on me.

:spock: Did you used to regularly keep a couple hundred bucks on you back then?

Psyko Tek
02-13-2010, 05:22 AM

not quite
but we are a dying breed

Guru
02-13-2010, 05:23 AM
not quite
but we are a dying breedI still like you guys better than the check writing breed.:thumb:

This only applies to the ones that pull out the check book after the cashier has given them a total.

old_geezer
02-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Actually I use a debit card for almost all purchases now. Comes directly out of my account and I can check online at any time to make sure the balance is still accurate. I write less than 10 checks a year and they are to people who won't accept a debit card (taxes, insurance, ect.). I have a credit card that I use for on-line purchases and pay off every month. Cash? I currently have $15 in my billfold and that's about what I carry every day.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 05:45 AM
I fucking love how companies will take a week to get you your money that is rightfully yours and was never spent.

I guaranfuckingtee if they had accidentally applied a 5000 dollar credit towards your account that the crooked bastards wouldn't take a week to right that ship.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2010, 05:58 AM
So, they made the mistake, and they are NOT paying for any INSF fees? Bull fucking shit!

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Actually I use a debit card for almost all purchases now. Comes directly out of my account and I can check online at any time to make sure the balance is still accurate. I write less than 10 checks a year and they are to people who won't accept a debit card (taxes, insurance, ect.). I have a credit card that I use for on-line purchases and pay off every month. Cash? I currently have $15 in my billfold and that's about what I carry every day.I only use a debit card. I no longer write checks. Rarely carry cash. I get a text msg on my cell everyday with my balance.

Rukdafaidas
02-13-2010, 06:12 AM
I ****ing love how companies will take a week to get you your money that is rightfully yours and was never spent.

I guaran****ingtee if they had accidentally applied a 5000 dollar credit towards your account that the crooked bastards wouldn't take a week to right that ship.

Exactly. You should not only fight to get them to cover the fees you encounter. You also need to fight to get the money back in your account immediately. There's no reason it should take a week to do this. DEMAND that they correct it immediately.

rad
02-13-2010, 06:24 AM
I wonder why when you make a payment over the phone the money comes right out, right away, but they can't do the same for you?

penguinz
02-13-2010, 06:52 AM
How did this happen? Were you paying online and hit submit twice?

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2010, 06:56 AM
How did this happen? Were you paying online and hit submit twice?Quite likely automatic payments. Their system debited his account twice. System error.

Stewie
02-13-2010, 07:06 AM
You shouldn't be out a penny Guru. I fucking hate AMEX. I have a corporate card and they've fucked up my bill a couple of times (both times in their favor). Fortunately, being a corporate card we have some leverage to get things done. It would be different if it was a personal card, I'm sure.

penguinz
02-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Quite likely automatic payments. Their system debited his account twice. System error.This is why you should no do auto payment.

Ari Chi3fs
02-13-2010, 09:47 AM
That wasn't very nice of Amnorix to screw you.

vailpass
02-13-2010, 09:59 AM
We charge everything and I pay my balance in full every month. We are also a family of 6. We use the credit card for the points and the points only. But no more.

Good on you.
Some people don't understand the concept of positive credit.
The media harps on the "credit card bad" mantra not recognizing that credit is a useful and powerful tool when used correctly.
No different than a sawzall or air hammer credit is very constructive when used in the right manner and can do much damage when misused.

Get on the phone with AMEX and don't get off until you have spoken with someone who agrees to pay your fees, give you an approximate date on which you can expect that payment and provides you with a name and contact number so you can follow up.

Pushead2
02-13-2010, 10:11 AM
I never carry cash on me. I have a rewards CC & my debt.

JD10367
02-13-2010, 10:21 AM
This is why you should no do auto payment.

I agree, as I agreed in another thread about this subject. I'll stick to the old-fashioned stamp-and-check method. Anything involving either direct withdrawal from my account (via the Interwebz) and/or debit cards is not for me. If you mail a paper check, the bank will never cash the same check twice. No double-charging, no store making a mistake and carrying a zero (like they did to my mom, who debit-carded $65 at Wal-Mart and got charged $650). That's MY money in the account, and I'm not letting anyone at it unless I write a check or take it out of the ATM.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree, as I agreed in another thread about this subject. I'll stick to the old-fashioned stamp-and-check method. Anything involving either direct withdrawal from my account (via the Interwebz) and/or debit cards is not for me. If you mail a paper check, the bank will never cash the same check twice. No double-charging, no store making a mistake and carrying a zero (like they did to my mom, who debit-carded $65 at Wal-Mart and got charged $650). That's MY money in the account, and I'm not letting anyone at it unless I write a check or take it out of the ATM.Paranoid, much?

HypnotizedMonkey
02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
ride on them clowns

JD10367
02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Paranoid, much?

Paranoid? Because stupid companies double-charge your direct withdrawal, and there are Internet crooks who know how to hack that stuff, and there are stupid clerks who can f**k up your debit card purchase? You can call it what you want; I've never had a company double-dip my account, or screw up a purchase and drain my account.

Bwana
02-13-2010, 01:32 PM
It could be worse! You could be dealing with Bank Of America.

Check out this story. What kind of a rat soup, two bit, Mickey Mouse, chicken shit, fly by night outfit is this company? :spock: If this happened to me, I think I would be in jail for opening up a giant can of whoop ass and laying down some beat downs.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SmartSpending/blog/page.aspx?post=1628429&_blg=1,1628429

Bwana
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
They are doing a wire transfer to give MY money back but insist it will take 7 days to process.

Bullshit in stereo....... Call those pricks back and light them up until they make it right.

JASONSAUTO
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM

shit i have a couple of hundred in my pocket all the time. i spend cash everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

cdcox
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
You want to be riding them hard over this. It accomplishes the following:

1. Costs them money paying for the people listen to you bitch.

2. If you are good enough at bitching, you can make their workers hate their work-time existence because they have to stick up for a company that won't own up to their own mistakes. If enough people do this, they'll eventually quit, costing the company even more money to hire and train new workers.

I'd stay on the phone until they promised to fed ex me a check or immediately credit my account.

crispystl420
02-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Paranoid? Because stupid companies double-charge your direct withdrawal, and there are Internet crooks who know how to hack that stuff, and there are stupid clerks who can f**k up your debit card purchase? You can call it what you want; I've never had a company double-dip my account, or screw up a purchase and drain my account.

I agree with you man. It's too easy to make a mistake.

Guru
02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Bullshit in stereo....... Call those pricks back and light them up until they make it right.I already have a name and contact. I'll be calling them tomorrow afternoon to press them further on this damned situation.

penguinz
02-14-2010, 06:16 PM
I agree, as I agreed in another thread about this subject. I'll stick to the old-fashioned stamp-and-check method. Anything involving either direct withdrawal from my account (via the Interwebz) and/or debit cards is not for me. If you mail a paper check, the bank will never cash the same check twice. No double-charging, no store making a mistake and carrying a zero (like they did to my mom, who debit-carded $65 at Wal-Mart and got charged $650). That's MY money in the account, and I'm not letting anyone at it unless I write a check or take it out of the ATM.I did not mean you should not use online payment. Just that you should not set it up to auto-pay each month.

Be as paranoid as you want but your identity is more likely to get stolen sending bills in the mail than by paying online.

Guru
02-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I did not mean you should not use online payment. Just that you should not set it up to auto-pay each month.

Be as paranoid as you want but your identity is more likely to get stolen sending bills in the mail than by paying online.I don't think people realize how easily that could happen by just opening up a letter.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I did not mean you should not use online payment. Just that you should not set it up to auto-pay each month.

Be as paranoid as you want but your identity is more likely to get stolen sending bills in the mail than by paying online.

That's exactly how I do it. I go online once a month to pay them. No auto pay bullshit.

DumbHillbillies
02-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Yes and the smartest person.

T-post Tom
02-15-2010, 12:50 AM
This is why you should no do auto payment.

This. I've heard many similar stories over the years. NEVER give access to your account. Use your bank's online banking to pay others. It gives you more control and prevents this kind of thing from happening. (Not saying your bank can't screw up, but my experience is that your much less likely to have problems using your bank's online banking.)

MikeMaslowski
02-15-2010, 04:48 AM
Amex is his pet monkeys name.

Buehler445
02-15-2010, 05:41 AM
I agree, as I agreed in another thread about this subject. I'll stick to the old-fashioned stamp-and-check method. Anything involving either direct withdrawal from my account (via the Interwebz) and/or debit cards is not for me. If you mail a paper check, the bank will never cash the same check twice. No double-charging, no store making a mistake and carrying a zero (like they did to my mom, who debit-carded $65 at Wal-Mart and got charged $650). That's MY money in the account, and I'm not letting anyone at it unless I write a check or take it out of the ATM.

This is absolutely incorrect. Last year I paid my student loan via check. FDR in Omaha ran the batch twice. Check processing is systematic too nowadays.

Earthling
02-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Guru, is your bank culpable in this at all?
If it is then maybe they can provide a quick remedy.
If it is solely AMEX then perhaps enough Planeteers could threaten to discontinue service with AMEX to prompt them to quickly resolve this. That SHOULD get their attention. You can count me in as ready to discontinue mine over this, if that is the way you go. I wouldn't think it would take too many others.

Guru
02-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Guru, is your bank culpable in this at all?
If it is then maybe they can provide a quick remedy.
If it is solely AMEX then perhaps enough Planeteers could threaten to discontinue service with AMEX to prompt them to quickly resolve this. That SHOULD get their attention. You can count me in as ready to discontinue mine over this, if that is the way you go. I wouldn't think it would take too many others.Though I do appreciate the sentiment, I seriously doubt CP has enough power to even create a single percent of a drop in the bucket that AMEX would even care about. heh

Guru
02-15-2010, 07:04 AM
This is absolutely incorrect. Last year I paid my student loan via check. FDR in Omaha ran the batch twice. Check processing is systematic too nowadays.Hell, when you send in a check they still process it electronically the same as if you just did it online. They have your information both ways and the mistake can happen both ways.

BIG_DADDY
02-15-2010, 08:10 AM
They are floating cash and lying to you. They can transfer same day too. You signed up for EFT didn't you?

Iowanian
02-15-2010, 12:41 PM
That's nothing.

I got a letter in the mail saturday, basically telling me that my $25k investment into a bioD facility is all but gone, but at least some of the board swindled over 400k from the top and their companies made a couple of million.

The good news is, There is a meeting of stock holders at the end of the month.

I figure, I've got 3 weeks to come up with my $25k F-U statement to the board.

Earthling
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
That's nothing.

I got a letter in the mail saturday, basically telling me that my $25k investment into a bioD facility is all but gone, but at least some of the board swindled over 400k from the top and their companies made a couple of million.

Damn...Try your best but keep the shotgun close by.

Iowanian
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't know what I'm going to say yet, but I figure I didn't get any money for my investment(including half was my brother's first year in Iraq)....I didn't get regular statements, updates or status reports...the website hasn't been updated for almost 2 years....

So, the only thing I'm really getting in exchange for what was to be my kids' college fund is the 1-2 minutes I'll be able to speak.

The only thing I am sure of is that jaws will likely drop throughout that room. I look at it as I have 1 chance to make a $25k sentence or two before these thieving sonna-bitches. The chances of being removed from the room are probably high.

Chiefnj2
02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
You want to be riding them hard over this. It accomplishes the following:

1. Costs them money paying for the people listen to you bitch.

2. If you are good enough at bitching, you can make their workers hate their work-time existence because they have to stick up for a company that won't own up to their own mistakes. If enough people do this, they'll eventually quit, costing the company even more money to hire and train new workers.

I'd stay on the phone until they promised to fed ex me a check or immediately credit my account.

The money they are paying people in India to take your call isn't much and I don't really think the company cares that someone in Bombay is getting upset.

BIG_DADDY
02-15-2010, 12:49 PM
That's nothing.

It is something just totally different than your situation. Sorry to hear about your situation bro. YOur kids still need youthough so no bringing any guns to the meeting. Unfortunately equity owners are the last in line for payouts that could arise from any number of factors.

Iowanian
02-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I wouldn't do that. I'm just going to come up with the most creative, verbose "f you" ever performed in public.

I know I'm screwed, It leaves a mark, but this is the one thing I can do.

I knew it was an investment and not a sure thing, but the homework sure looked good, other ventures by the same people were returning near 30% the first year....I saw lots of "big dogs" jumping on board and I said "thats what I want to be" so I scratched, used quite a bit of my savings, partnered with my brother and his iraq money.....and when he returns for leave from his inactive-call up tour this afternoon, I get to tell him that I took him on the financial Batan Death march.

I think I need to work in something about expecting a nice dinner, or maybe a kiss on the neck before being screwed by 10 men.

Rukdafaidas
02-16-2010, 05:27 AM
I wouldn't do that. I'm just going to come up with the most creative, verbose "f you" ever performed in public.

I know I'm screwed, It leaves a mark, but this is the one thing I can do.

I knew it was an investment and not a sure thing, but the homework sure looked good, other ventures by the same people were returning near 30% the first year....I saw lots of "big dogs" jumping on board and I said "thats what I want to be" so I scratched, used quite a bit of my savings, partnered with my brother and his iraq money.....and when he returns for leave from his inactive-call up tour this afternoon, I get to tell him that I took him on the financial Batan Death march.

I think I need to work in something about expecting a nice dinner, or maybe a kiss on the neck before being screwed by 10 men.

Damn dude, that sucks.
Do you know any of the "big dogs"? Contact them to see what they think of this mess and what they might be planning to do about it.

Guru
02-17-2010, 04:32 AM
The wire came through today. Of course, my bank charged me a wire transfer fee which they quickly removed when I called them about it this morning since this whole mess was not my fault at all.

Everything is back to normal. Well, except for my relationship with Amex. They have been demoted to the card that never gets used now except in extreme situations.

Bwana
02-17-2010, 09:23 AM
That's nothing.

Son of a bitch! I got horsed out of 5 grand a little over 10 years ago myself. I was able to recover $1500 of it, but that was still a net $3500 screwing. The guy that had the "super great stock" died and his investment broker took the money and ran.

My cousin, who also lost money (10k) was able to locate the guy in Canada. My cousin also knows people, who know people and was able to arrange for a "special consultation" with the broker, through these people. From what I understand, the brokers full recovery took several months.

kepp
02-17-2010, 10:40 AM
I don't know what I'm going to say yet, but I figure I didn't get any money for my investment(including half was my brother's first year in Iraq)....I didn't get regular statements, updates or status reports...the website hasn't been updated for almost 2 years....

So, the only thing I'm really getting in exchange for what was to be my kids' college fund is the 1-2 minutes I'll be able to speak.

The only thing I am sure of is that jaws will likely drop throughout that room. I look at it as I have 1 chance to make a $25k sentence or two before these thieving sonna-bitches. The chances of being removed from the room are probably high.

Maybe you should have an ambulamp waiting outside.

Earthling
02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
The wire came through today. Of course, my bank charged me a wire transfer fee which they quickly removed when I called them about it this morning since this whole mess was not my fault at all.

Everything is back to normal. Well, except for my relationship with Amex. They have been demoted to the card that never gets used now except in extreme situations.

Thats how I use their card. Glad you got it all fixed.