PDA

View Full Version : Poop Tuscaloosa, AL: Tell Me 'Bout It

Reaper16
02-12-2010, 09:03 PM
As I spend the next month and a half considering which of my graduate school offers of acceptance to pick as the school where I will spend the next three years improving as a writer and teacher, I will need to find out about the communities in which these schools reside.

So, one of the schools to accept me so far is Alabama. Its one of the very best M.F.A. in creative writing programs in the country -- its very, very selective, only 3% of applicants will get in -- and I will be fully funded. I would love to attend the program... but it is in Tuscaloosa, AL.

So, any intrepid Planeteers know from Tuscaloosa? Atmosphere, dining, culture, etc. I appreciate it.

SNR
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
ROLL TIDE!!!11

kstater
02-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Be aware of a culture shock. I'm not even in the deep south and there's uh, differences of opinion on a bunch of things.

Reaper16
02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Be aware of a culture shock. I'm not even in the deep south and there's uh, differences of opinion on a bunch of things.
Such as?

SNR
02-12-2010, 09:37 PM
In all seriousness, I had a creative writing professor who was my professor for general freshman orientation course (sort of like expository writing at Harvard, only it wasn't at Harvard). She was a graduate from Alabama, and appeared to know her shit. Not just about writing, but about all the history and literature we were covering in that course. Even just writing basic introductory college papers for her improved my writing quite a bit. And I never really thought of myself as a bad writer when I first entered college.

That doesn't answer your question. Just wanted to say that I know you're not making this shit up about Alabama. She was a damn good instructor.

kstater
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Such as?

Whether or not a white woman should hug a black man.

Saul Good
02-12-2010, 09:39 PM
If there's one thing Alabamans love, it's long-haired thespians.

kstater
02-12-2010, 09:42 PM

I'll say this was the most glaring example I've encountered, but not everyone is that bigoted.

Reaper16
02-12-2010, 09:43 PM

If there's one thing Alabamans love, it's long-haired thespians.
If I don't get shot at by a member of Brodie Croyle's extended family then I will have failed as a new citizen of Tuscaloosa.

chop
02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I spent a little time in Tuscaloosa doing some work for the Mercedes plant nearby. It is a college town and they love their school there. People are pretty nice but they always would say "y'all arnt from around here er ya" "y'all are northerners" got that stuff alot. Tuscaloosa isn't a real big town but they have a variety of things to do there. If you get bored in Tuscaloosa there is always Birmingham that isn't too far away. There are some really nice areas there.

chiefscafan
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey u just might see the repeat champions next year in Tuscaloosa :)

CosmicPal
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM
It rhymes with Chattanooga

Der Flöprer
02-12-2010, 11:24 PM
I lived in Charlotte for a while, which has about 700k inside the city limits, and plenty more on the outskirts. I was blown away by how many people were flying Confederate flags on their cars.

I understand Southerners. Taxation and representation. But of all of the ways you can express yourselves and symbolize those qualities, you choose the universal sign that people associate with slavery?

I don't know how the civil war is taught in the south, but I sure know how it's taught in the north. Terrible taste IMHO.

luv
02-12-2010, 11:28 PM
If I don't get shot at by a member of Brodie Croyle's extended family then I will have failed as a new citizen of Tuscaloosa.

Speaking of getting shot, there's been a lot of that going on down there. Might want to take a bulletproof vest.

Reaper16
02-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Speaking of getting shot, there's been a lot of that going on down there. Might want to take a bulletproof vest.
That was at the Huntsville campus. A faculty member got pissed that she didn't make tenure so she went ballistic.

I'll be fine. I'm from Kansas City. We know from bullets.

NewChief
02-13-2010, 07:02 AM
No University of Arkansas? I'm saddened.

Reaper16
02-13-2010, 07:12 AM
No University of Arkansas? I'm saddened.
No, I didn't apply to the University of Arkansas. Their M.F.A. program doesn't offer a track in creative nonfiction.

NewChief
02-13-2010, 07:15 AM
No, I didn't apply to the University of Arkansas. Their M.F.A. program doesn't offer a track in creative nonfiction.

Ahh, I didn't know if they had developed that yet. I'm sort of out of touch with the program at this point. I guess that makes sense, as the "famous" writers up there are all either poetry or fiction.

Dayze
02-13-2010, 07:55 AM
i hear Tuscoloosa is the 'rich' school in 'Bama.
well, not realy 'rich' etc, but Bama is to KU as Auburn is to K-State etc.

So, maybe Tuscaloosa itself isn't as backwoods.
I want to get there someday to attend a game.

Good Luck; and congrats on the acceptance.

eazyb81
02-13-2010, 08:53 AM
I love the South and Tuscaloosa is a really cool college town. Just try not to be judgemental about their ways and beliefs and they will do the same to you. People there are very proud of being southern, and some northerners have trouble understanding that.

If you're open-minded and go in realizing it won't be exactly like NW Missouri but that's not necessarily bad, then you will have a great time.

NewChief
02-13-2010, 09:06 AM
I love the South and Tuscaloosa is a really cool college town. Just try not to be judgemental about their ways and beliefs and they will do the same to you. People there are very proud of being southern, and some northerners have trouble understanding that.

If you're open-minded and go in realizing it won't be exactly like NW Missouri but that's not necessarily bad, then you will have a great time.

This. Go into the South like you're going to another country. My wife is a transplant from the Midwest who has come to really love and appreciate southern culture. If you go in like a condescending prick, thinking these people are backwards assholes.... that's what you're going to see. If you go in conscious that you're entering into a new cultural experience that has its goods and bads... but that is most definitely it's own distinct culture (just like visiting another country), then you'll enjoy it and probably find it a rich source of material for your writing.