PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Fuck the olympics

SNR
02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Don't care.

You won a gold medal? Sweet. You still work at McDonald's for a living. I want that supersized, bitch.

Bugeater
02-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Oh, are they doing that again? Who won?

SNR
02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Oh, are they doing that again? Who won?Tonya Harding

Bugeater
02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Tonya Harding
I'd PIIHB.

SNR
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I'd PIIHB.The whole thing?

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Don't care.

You won a gold medal? Sweet. You still work at McDonald's for a living. I want that supersized, bitch.

Except the hockey teams made up of millionaires. They are doing okay.

redsurfer11
02-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Don't care.

Somebody has a job? That's an accomplishment.

Ari Chi3fs
02-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Is this the ****OFFICIAL**** Fuck the Olympics thread?

-King-
02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I seriously give about 2 fucks about the winter olympics. I didn't even know they started today until a couple hours ago. So yeah, I agree with your sentiment. Fuck the olympics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I'd PIIHB.She would beat your ass.

Over-Head
02-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I can't freaken believe their gonna bump "Coronation Street".
So some kid from Hong kong can prove she can defy gravity and the laws of physics on a piece of 2x10 wearing slippers, or fling her body around 2 un even set of metal bars :mad:

KCrockaholic
02-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Most of these guys/girls don't need to work dude. They make all of their money off sponsors. Shaun White is a frickin rich as hell millionaire just from sponsors.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 10:54 PM
I can't freaken believe their gonna bump "Coronation Street".
So some kid from Hong kong can prove she can defy gravity and the laws of physics on a piece of 2x10 wearing slippers, or fling her body around 2 un even set of metal bars :mad:

You watch British soap operas? Can I post that on your facebook? :p

KcMizzou
02-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Fuck 'em? Eh, I disagree.

These people are amazing athletes in sports that don't have much of an audience. This is their chance to be the best at what they do... on the biggest stage they'll ever have.

More power to 'em, IMO.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 10:56 PM
Fuck 'em? Eh, I disagree.

These people are amazing athletes in sports that don't have much of an audience. This is their chance to be the best at what they do... on the biggest stage they'll ever have.

More power to 'em, IMO.

Indeed. I'm all for athletes being able to showcase their skills. These guys only get to perform every 4 years. Or is the winter olympics 2? Fuck I don't know. What were we talking about again?

KcMizzou
02-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Indeed. I'm all for athletes being able to showcase their skills. These guys only get to perform every 4 years. Or is the winter olympics 2? Fuck I don't know. What were we talking about again?4 years.. they alternate winter and summer.

KCrockaholic
02-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Indeed. I'm all for athletes being able to showcase their skills. These guys only get to perform every 4 years. Or is the winter olympics 2? **** I don't know. What were we talking about again?

Every 4 years for each summer and winter Olympics. Only in even years. 2012 will be Summer Olympics.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys. Every 4 years, let them play. LET THEM PLAY!!!

Bugeater
02-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Indeed. I'm all for athletes being able to showcase their skills. These guys only get to perform every 4 years. Or is the winter olympics 2? **** I don't know. What were we talking about again?
They do each every 4 years, but they are now staggered so they do one of two every two years. They used to do them both in the same year, but they changed that after the '92 Albertville winter games, so there was only a 2 year period between those and the '94 Lillehammer winter games.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
They do each every 4 years, but they are now staggered so they do one of two every two years. They used to do them both in the same year, but they changed that after the '92 Albertville winter games, so there was only a 2 year period between those and the '94 Lillehammer winter games.

There we go. That fact right there completely excuses my ignorance. Good lookin out Bugeater.

KcMizzou
02-12-2010, 11:02 PM
I can't say I'm exactly riveted either, but when I do tune in... it's kinda cool rooting for team USA.

(America, fuck yeah!)

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Wow. Someone's already died.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Nodar Kumaritashvilli Georgian luger died during practice today.

KCrockaholic
02-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Wow. Someone's already died.

lol, little late?

KcMizzou
02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Nodar Kumaritashvilli Georgian luger died during practice today.Yeah... brutal. One dude on a sled doing 90 mph vs. a steel pole. Gotta feel bad for the guy.

Mr. Flopnuts
lol, little late?

Yeah... brutal. One dude on a sled doing 90 mph vs. a steel pole. Gotta feel bad for the guy.

Damn. Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about it. I've been out for most of the day trying to get some work done. Terrible, terrible news.

KC_Connection
lol, little late?

Just 10+ hours or so behind, yea.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Damn. Yeah, I hadn't heard anything about it. I've been out for most of the day trying to get some work done. Terrible, terrible news.

You seen the vid? Gruesome stuff.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:10 PM
You seen the vid? Gruesome stuff.

Oh wow. They got it on tape. No, I haven't seen it. Was it pretty bloody?

KcMizzou
02-12-2010, 11:11 PM
You seen the vid? Gruesome stuff.I saw some pics.. chose to skip the vid.

KCrockaholic
02-12-2010, 11:12 PM

It's all good. I figured CP had a thread about it.

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Oh wow. It was televised. No, I haven't seen it. Was it pretty bloody?

Surprisingly, they've been showing it on all the major news networks all day.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/12/nodar-kumaritashvili-cras_n_460474.html

KC_Connection
02-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I saw some pics.. chose to skip the vid.
I don't blame you. I didn't imagine how bad it was until I saw the vid, though. It really emphasizes how dangerous a sport luge really is.

KCrockaholic
02-12-2010, 11:16 PM
He was going so fast. I hadn't seen the vid until now, that was just terrible.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Holy shit.

Frazod
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Nice place to put a bunch of steel supports. Who designed that thing, Wile E. Coyote? :shake:

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Wow.

Know what's shitty about this sport? Even if you win, you are still a luger

Via the shoooooooosh site. Brutal. Yeah, they had pics.

Ari Chi3fs
02-12-2010, 11:41 PM
They should ban luge... or have to be at least 6 feet away from a naked luge. We have to protect ourselves against luge violence. Congress should pass something. We could hurt ourselves if we all luged.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Please. Use protection when you luge.

http://notallbits.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/the_more_you_know2.jpg

-King-
02-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Not to make light of that video...but why the fuck would someone want to luge anyway? It doesn't exactly look like the funnest or safest thing in the world.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Not to make light of that video...but why the fuck would someone want to luge anyway? It doesn't exactly look like the funnest or safest thing in the world.

90 miles an hour on a sled down an ice track is probably the ultimate rush. I'd never do it.

-King-
02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
90 miles an hour on a sled down an ice track is probably the ultimate rush....

....Followed by a 90MPH ambulance rush to the hospital.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 01:02 AM
The Olympics are an exercise in jingoism, celebrating third rate athletes occasionally--when you get slog through all the corporate bullshit to even watch an event.

The_Doctor10
02-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Not to make light of that video...but why the **** would someone want to luge anyway? It doesn't exactly look like the funnest or safest thing in the world.

Because it's a massive thrill? Why would you want to toboggan? Or ski? It's fun to go fast down a hill covered in ice and snow.

That being said, the track in Vancouver is apparently by far the fastest and most dangerous track in the world, according to the sledders; the IOC has already instructed Moscow to not come close to emulating the speeds in Vancouver; they were concerned about this happening before the crash.

The_Doctor10
02-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Most of these guys/girls don't need to work dude. They make all of their money off sponsors. Shaun White is a frickin rich as hell millionaire just from sponsors.

If you're American and you dominate your sport, then yes, you do pretty well. Maybe even if you're just an Olympic athlete, you get a nice chunk of change, I'm not sure how you guys do it.

Most other athletes make very little money... Not like, poverty line income, but they aren't raking in 100K a year or anything elaborate.

Over-Head
02-13-2010, 06:23 AM
You watch British soap operas? Can I post that on your facebook? :p
When the little guy got sick last month, all he wanted to do was sleep in my/wifes arms.
On a sunday morning at 3am when
- Jamie isn't confirming or Busting you can't hold an elephant over a cliff dangling by the safety of a dandelion,
-Hugh hasn't got anything left to say other than "he can't ****ing drive i'm the man on these here ice roads,
-Sid is already so far in the lead with crab count the Cornelia Marie don't have a chance (not with Phil gone now R.I.P)
-An rev John little john is scaring demons outa some deaf chicks ear,

That little British soap looks mighty appealing. (besides I still haven't found out iof Tony is still shagging Nichole :thumb: )

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 08:24 AM
The Olympics are an exercise in jingoism, celebrating third rate athletes occasionally--when you get slog through all the corporate bullshit to even watch an event.
What does that make professional sports?

Demonpenz
02-13-2010, 09:15 AM
once again, people fail to realize mcdonalds is a pretty good paying job in these times.

milkman
02-13-2010, 10:04 AM
**** 'em? Eh, I disagree.

More power to 'em, IMO.

These aren't sports.
And most of the participants will do their thing in the next couple of weeks and then fade back inot obscurity, where they belong.

Why does the nation think that we benefit from individual accomplishments?

Why do we as a nation think that events that we have no interest in in the four years between Olympics are suddenly so compelling?

National pride?

What a fucking joke.

I'm with SNR.
Fuck the Olympics.

And get 'em off my TV.

Pushead2
02-13-2010, 10:09 AM
holy shit, just saw the video....damn. The photos are far more graphic though.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 10:27 AM
These aren't sports.

What makes them any less of a sport than say, football or basketball? The fact that they aren't Americanized? Or the fact that they don't have massive year-round television contracts in this country?

Bearcat
02-13-2010, 10:35 AM

More power to 'em, IMO.

Yeah, I don't really get into the Olympics, outside of hockey, but they can still be fun to watch... so, I don't care about swimming at all, but I was still up at 1 in the morning watching the 4x100 relay a couple of summers ago, and it was well worth it.

milkman
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
What makes them any less of a sport than say, football or basketball? The fact that they aren't Americanized? Or the fact that they don't have massive year-round television contracts in this country?

The fact that the outcome is determined by a panel of judges, rather than direct competition bewteen the opposing participants.

Is American Idol a sport?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 11:04 AM

The same reason why soccer is not respected in this country: our best athletes don't play it.

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
can you imagine if if lebron, when he was a little kid, decided he wanted to play soccer and spent his entire youth practicing and training to be a goalie for the US team.

It would be a fucking disaster of Global proportions for the the entire rest of the World.
3rd World countries would have nothing to live for and former soccer powers would be decimated in his wake.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2010, 11:08 AM
can you imagine if if lebron, when he was a little kid, decided he wanted to play soccer and spent his entire youth practicing and training to be a goalie for the US team.

It would be a fucking disaster of Global proportions for the the entire est of the World.
3rd World countries would have nothing to live for and former soccer powers would be decimated in his wake.

Bill Simmons made the argument in his book that Iverson would have been the greatest soccer player ever. I think he also mentioned LeBron at goalie as well.

milkman
02-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Bill Simmons made the argument in his book that Iverson would have been the greatest soccer player ever. I think he also mentioned LeBron at goalie as well.

I'm not a fan of soccer.

You couldn't get me to watch it if you paid me.

But, by my definiton, it's a sport.
It sucks, but still a sport.

Same can be said for hockey.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 11:17 AM
The fact that the outcome is determined by a panel of judges, rather than direct competition bewteen the opposing participants.

Is American Idol a sport?
Plenty of these sports aren't judged at all. Figure skating/ski jumping are among the minority in that regard it seems, actually.

RedNeckRaider
02-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm not a fan of soccer.

You couldn't get me to watch it if you paid me.

But, by my definiton, it's a sport.
It sucks, but still a sport.

Same can be said for hockey.

Agreed I can not stand the flop on the ground crap that goes on in soccer and the only thing cool about hockey is the fights~

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 11:19 AM
The same reason why soccer is not respected in this country: our best athletes don't play it.
Pretty much. Countries tend to focus on what they are best at. I know that hockey and curling get the best television ratings year-round in Canada for that reason.

milkman
02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Plenty of these sports aren't judged at all. Figure skating/ski jumping are among the minority in that regard it seems, actually.

And as you can see in my later post to Hamas regarding soccer, and hockey, a Winter Olypic Sport, it was a broad generalization.

Earthling
02-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Pretty simple...Don't like it don't tune it in.

Blitz
02-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Boxing and MMA also use judges, because they do they wouldn't be considered sports by your definition? give me a fucking break. Just because you can't do anything these athletes can you knock them. What have you done in your pathetic life? Have you accomplished anything close to what these athletes have? Chances are no, so you shouldn't rush to judge these athletes. I'm not a fan of some of the sports but you have to give credit where credit is due.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2010, 01:14 PM
I am not a big fan of the Olympics in general but I am attracted to certain events. That being said I don't think money has anything to do with how athletic something is. That stands on it's own merits. As far as gold medals and McDonalds I think that has a lot to do with the event/coverage/drama surrounding it. There are a lot of olympians that never have to work another day of their life other than doing commercials and guest appearances and that sort of thing.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I am not a big fan of the Olympics in general but I am attracted to certain events. That being said I don't think money has anything to do with how athletic something is. That stands on it's own merits. As far as gold medals and McDonalds I think that has a lot to do with the event/coverage/drama surrounding it. There are a lot of olympians that never have to work another day of their life other than doing commercials and guest appearances and that sort of thing.

Kristi Yamacoochi is a local example here. She still has a huge celebrity status.

-King-
02-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Pretty much. Countries tend to focus on what they are best at. I know that hockey and curling get the best television ratings year-round in Canada for that reason.

Wtf? People watch curling? How the fuck can someone be entertained by someone pushing a disc thingy 15 ft on ice? its basically bowling on ice, except gheyer.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
02-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Pretty simple...Don't like it don't tune it in.HAY HEARS A IDEA IF U CANT SAY SUMTHING NICE DONT SAY IT AT ALL U KNO SUM PPL AKSH WATCH THE OLYMPICS AND THAY PROLLY DONT LIKE WAT U SAID

Earthling
02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
HAY HEARS A IDEA IF U CANT SAY SUMTHING NICE DONT SAY IT AT ALL U KNO SUM PPL AKSH WATCH THE OLYMPICS AND THAY PROLLY DONT LIKE WAT U SAID

See how simple that was?

SNR
02-13-2010, 01:51 PM
See how simple that was?Yep. And I still haven't watched one bit of Olympics coverage.

Wow, you were right.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Wtf? People watch curling? How the **** can someone be entertained by someone pushing a disc thingy 15 ft on ice? its basically bowling on ice, except gheyer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apparently. It gets great ratings.

It's quite a difficult sport, though, I've played it. Once you do that, you gain an appreciation for how good these people are at it.

KC_Connection
02-13-2010, 02:03 PM
The athletes that don't compete in the "glamorous" sports don't have that benefit at all. I have some Olympians in my family, and they all had to go on to future jobs after their athletic careers.

KcMizzou
02-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Wtf? People watch curling? How the fuck can someone be entertained by someone pushing a disc thingy 15 ft on ice? its basically bowling on ice, except gheyer.
Posted via Mobile Device
:shrug:

Austrian curler Claudia Toth

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/images/02/11/claudia-toth.jpg

Bearcat
02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
:shrug:

Austrian curler Claudia Toth

That's just a tease.... she probably wears clothes while curling. :harumph:

KcMizzou
02-13-2010, 03:01 PM
That's just a tease.... she probably wears clothes while curling. :harumph:Damn it.

BIG_DADDY
02-13-2010, 03:03 PM
The athletes that don't compete in the "glamorous" sports don't have that benefit at all. I have some Olympians in my family, and they all had to go on to future jobs after their athletic careers.

The percentage that rake in all the cash is very small.

The_Doctor10
02-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Agreed I can not stand the flop on the ground crap that goes on in soccer and the only thing cool about hockey is the fights~

Have you ever actually watched a hockey game? I will confess that the sport's personalities are simply awful, there are two compelling characters in the entire sport. And one of them's a douchebag, the other speaks english like he's the bad guy in an 80s action flick.

That being said, the actual NHL product is probably the best overall of any of the NFL, NBA, MLB.

milkman
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Boxing and MMA also use judges, because they do they wouldn't be considered sports by your definition? give me a ****ing break. Just because you can't do anything these athletes can you knock them. What have you done in your pathetic life? Have you accomplished anything close to what these athletes have? Chances are no, so you shouldn't rush to judge these athletes. I'm not a fan of some of the sports but you have to give credit where credit is due.

Where did I knock them, dumbass?

I said the events they particpate in are not sports.

I actually appreciate the athleticism that these competitions require, I simply don't care to watch them in the Olympics any more than I care to watch them the rest of the time.

And among the things Ive accomplished in life is learning to not only read, but to comprehand what I read.

That's more than your dumb ass.

rad
02-13-2010, 04:12 PM

I actually appreciate the athleticism that these competitions require, I simply don't care to watch them in the Olympics any more than I care to watch them the rest of the time.

And among the things Ive accomplished in life is learning to not only read, but to comprehand what I read.

I think you're knocking them by saying what they compete in are not sports.

Deberg_1990
02-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Why are they not sports? Because you dont personally care much for them??

milkman
02-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I think you're knocking them by saying what they compete in are not sports.

The events they compete in do not fall into my definition of sports.

That's it.

I am knocking people who watch the Olympics when they never watch any of these events at any other time in their lives.

Deberg_1990
02-13-2010, 04:22 PM
The events they compete in do not fall into my definition of sports.

There you have it folks. The Winter Olympics are not sports because Milkman says so! That settles it.

milkman
02-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Why are they not sports? Because you dont personally care much for them??

No.

I don't define sports as only the "sports" I watch.

As I said earlier, I can't stand hockey or soccer, but they are sports.

I find gymnastics compelling an entertaining, so watch those when the Summer Olympics roll around, but not a sport.

milkman
02-13-2010, 04:25 PM
There you have it folks. The Winter Olympics are not sports because Milkman says so! That settles it.

And when you dumbasses learn this, your life will be better for it.

Bearcat
02-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Have you ever actually watched a hockey game? I will confess that the sport's personalities are simply awful, there are two compelling characters in the entire sport. And one of them's a douchebag, the other speaks english like he's the bad guy in an 80s action flick.

That being said, the actual NHL product is probably the best overall of any of the NFL, NBA, MLB.

As far as the personalities, it's a combination of history/culture and Bettman. Hockey's the ultimate team sport, and the players respect the team concept so much, they don't want the spotlight to themselves. At the same time, Bettman is so awful at marketing, it probably wouldn't matter anyway.

As far as the NHL product, I agree... there's more action than the other sports. It wasn't until I played it that I took the time to understand the rules and understood how much skill it takes... and the other sports will probably always have the advantage when it comes to teaching kids the sport.

SNR
02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Come one guys. This thread can get more posts than the actual Olympics thread!

Deberg_1990
02-13-2010, 04:27 PM
No.

I don't define sports as only the "sports" I watch.

As I said earlier, I can't stand hockey or soccer, but they are sports.

I find gymnastics compelling an entertaining, so watch those when the Summer Olympics roll around, but not a sport.

Heres how www.dictionary.com defines "sports"

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc

I would say all Olympic events require some form of "athletic activity" correct?

milkman
02-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Heres how www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) defines "sports"

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc

I would say all Olympic events require some form of "athletic activity" correct?

Been down this road before.

If I gave a rat's ass about how the dictionary defined it, I wouldn't bother with creating my own definition.

Remember when "Ain't" couldn't be found in the dictionary.

Bearcat
02-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Heres how www.dictionary.com defines "sports"

By that definition, what I heard from 2 dorm rooms down the hall in college 3 or 4 nights a week would be a sport... hell, if we're including fishing and hunting...

Sam Hall
02-13-2010, 05:23 PM
These Olympics would be better if they added the Colt McCoy toss as an official event

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NzN7sWYdprU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NzN7sWYdprU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KcMizzou
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
milkman tells skip to get off his lawn.

Bugeater
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Ya'll better get the hell off my lawn, or I'll introduce ya'll to a new sport called dodgin' the buckshot!

Easy 6
02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I've never been any big fan of the Olympics, having said that, i always check out something here & there, just to say i did... womens gymnastics & figure skating for starters. I'll also prolly watch some of the X Games style boarding action if i come across it.

But i dont begrudge these people a lil glory, they bust their motherlovin asses from what i know, obviously for what it can bring them, but also to bring glory & honor to their nation.

My max viewing time will be somewhere in the 2 hour range.

DaFace
02-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I know it sounds crazy, but I found myself being strangely entranced by curling back in 2006. I'm not sure why, but it was actually really interesting to watch.

LaChapelle
02-13-2010, 06:36 PM
No one is trying to sell me some fucked up Olympic mascot
I don't matter to them

Gadzooks
02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I know it sounds crazy, but I found myself being strangely entranced by curling back in 2006. I'm not sure why, but it was actually really interesting to watch.

You must be either Canadian, Scottish or stoned.

RedNeckRaider
02-14-2010, 07:34 AM

Yes I have a handful of times and I just can't get into it. I have friends that love it and the reason I have kept trying to watch it from time to time. We have a local team and one of these days I will go check it out to see if live is more interesting.

HonestChieffan
02-14-2010, 07:43 AM

More power to 'em, IMO.

I agree. Well said.

MahiMike
02-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Olympics ROCK! Especially the winter ones.